Thanksgiving 2008 @ The Fort- A Photo Report

Tri-circle-D

<font color=peach>Throwing some love to TCD<br><fo
Well, we couldn't resist.

The TCD gang made it to the Fort for Thanksgiving after all.

We arrived on Wednesday, November 26th, and left on Sunday the 30th.

The Fort was full, but there were a few scattered open sites here and there.

No construction was going on over the week, but the 1200 loop was empty again on Sunday, the 30th, and the workers were already moving in.

As of Nov. 30th, the 400, 500 and 800 loops have been fully converted to premium loops. It looks like the 1200 loop will be next, and I would suspect that the 1300 loops will go right after that.

Cable is now installed and operating on the 1500, 1600, 1700, 1800 and 1900 loops. It does not look operational on the 1100 loop yet. Doesn't look like it has been installed on the 900 and 1000 loops, and definitely not yet on the 2000 loop.

The weather was very cool at night, but nice during the daytime. We had no rain all week, but a big storm moved in on Sunday right after we got packed up and pulled off the site. There were tornado warnings on Sunday.

I finally got to meet Stacktester, and Goingtoseethemouse. Saw lots of Disboard signs, but did not get to meet anyone else.

We were on the waiting list for a golf cart all week, and didn't get one until Saturday. No spymobile for TCD :(

So, enough yakking, here are the photos:

This is our site on the 300 loop. We had site 360, which is the last site on the inside of the loop. Great location!

ThanksgivingFW2008001.jpg

Isn't that a nice Albert the Alligator inflatable? I couldn't believe that no one else was representing their teams this past weekend. Saw a bit of Gator gear, almost no FSU displays, and no other team spirit. An LSU fan did arrive on Saturday, and he put out his gear, despite his team's loss on Saturday to Arkansas (again!). But at least he was a true fan.

A couple more shots of the TCD set-up on 360:

ThanksgivingFW2008002.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008003.jpg

On Thanksgiving morning, I took a spin on the TCD spy bike to see what I could see. I headed around the 100 loop, and saw this decoration:

ThanksgivingFW2008004.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008005.jpg

It looks like all the Christmas decorations are up. Here is the Settlement Trading Post:

ThanksgivingFW2008006.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008007.jpg

The old River Country/new Backyard BBQ entrance is decorated. This is new for 2008:

ThanksgivingFW2008008.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008009.jpg

Did I mention how cold it was on Thanksgiving morning this year? Low 40's. And I mean low. The poor ponies over at the TCD ranch had their blankets on:

ThanksgivingFW2008010.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008011.jpg

Do you see the steam billowing from this pony's nostrils?:

ThanksgivingFW2008012.jpg

How about now?:

ThanksgivingFW2008013.jpg

These guys were enjoying their breakfast:

ThanksgivingFW2008015.jpg

The TCD ranch horse barn is decorated for Christmas:

ThanksgivingFW2008014.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008016.jpg

Looks good, doesn't it?

I love this shot:

ThanksgivingFW2008017.jpg

Hey, did someone leave the gate behind Pioneer Hall open? Looks like it doesn't it? Wonder what is back there?:

ThanksgivingFW2008018.jpg

Before we snoop, one more pony picture:

ThanksgivingFW2008020.jpg

Before we leave the former petting farm, let's remember that this is Thanksgiving morning. You know what I didn't see? Another person! Quiet and peaceful. Meanwhile, at the busiest amusement park in the world, people were lining up for rope drop and a stampede into the park.

As I head over to Pioneer Hall, I snap a photo of the decorated Backyard BBQ sign. In this photo, you can see a Magic Kingdom boat heading toward the Fort dock to bring another load of folks over to the MK:

ThanksgivingFW2008022.jpg

It has already been a magical morning.

TCD

Great pics as always TCD. Looking forward to the rest of the report. For those John Deere fans out there, this:

ThanksgivingFW2008005.jpg

...is available at Tractor Supply Company.

Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures!!!!

Great pics as always TCD. Looking forward to the rest of the report. For those John Deere fans out there, this . . .

...is available at Tractor Supply Company.

Tractor Supply Company. Got it. Wait a sec., not sure we have one of those at our local mall.

Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures!!!!

Some more are coming up right now!

TCD

OK, continuing on . . .

Here is a shot of the Fort Wilderness Pavilion. Home of the Backyard BBQ. Nice weather vane:

ThanksgivingFW2008023.jpg

Since someone left the gate behind Pioneer Hall open, I might as well take a peak, right?

So, here is where the chef parks. Wow. Who knew that Trails End had a chef? As far as I know, the food hasn't changed in years. I notice that he had Thanksgiving off . . .

ThanksgivingFW2008024.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008025.jpg

Here is what they hide behind the gate. Looks like a big delivery area, no? Well that is what it is. This is where all of the food for the Hoop Dee Doo, Trails End and the Backyard BBQ gets delivered:

ThanksgivingFW2008026.jpg

I then head around the building toward Pioneer Hall. Here is a view of the petting farm:

ThanksgivingFW2008028.jpg

And, here is Pioneer Hall, all decked out for Christmas:

ThanksgivingFW2008029.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008030.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008031.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008032.jpg

Trails End is decorated, too:

ThanksgivingFW2008033.jpg

There is something new on the porch . . .

ThanksgivingFW2008035.jpg

What the heck is that? . . . .

ThanksgivingFW2008039.jpg

OMG! It is a giant, ferocious bear, rearing up to attack me!!!!:

ThanksgivingFW2008036.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008038.jpg

What the heck is a ferocious bear doing on the porch at Crockett's Tavern?

(I think he has been temporarily relocated to make room for a Christmas tree inside).

The Christmas tree is up, and looking good . . .

ThanksgivingFW2008034.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008040.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008041.jpg

A few shots looking toward the Settlement Trading Post:

ThanksgivingFW2008042.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008043.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008044.jpg

OK, my work is done here, time to head out and check out what is happening in some of the loops . . .

TCD

Word is that the bear has been moved to the porch to scare off characters such as this guy.......................................

FW10308135.jpg

:thumbsup2 Tony.

I think the bear needs a Santa Mickey ears hat.:santa:

Word is that the bear has been moved to the porch to scare off characters such as this guy.......................................

FW10308135.jpg

Tony- You might be right about that- I didn't see that guy (who the heck is he, any way?) around the Fort at all on this trip.

TCD

After checking out the Settlement area, it is time to check on the loops.

The folks in the 700 loop have been working hard on their Christmas displays.

The site closest to the Settlement area is extensively decorated, both in front, and in back of the site. Here is what you see as you approach the loop:

ThanksgivingFW2008045.jpg

The folks on the last inside site were featured on Samantha Brown's Travel Channel special last year. Looks like they have even more decorations this year:

ThanksgivingFW2008046.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008047.jpg

This is the site immediately across from that one (we saw the back of this site in the photo of the approach to the 700 loop above):

ThanksgivingFW2008048.jpg

I remember these folks from last year, too. The Christmas tree with the sewer hose garland. Love it!:

ThanksgivingFW2008050.jpg

Those Mickey shaped "ornaments" are disposable kids meal dishes that they use in the restaurants on the property.

Back to the other side of the loop, here we have one of those tiki Mickey statues:

ThanksgivingFW2008049.jpg

And still more decorations on the 700 loop:

ThanksgivingFW2008051.jpg

We will be back to visit the 700 loop later in this report, for now, there is something else that I want to see.

So, I ride around the 700 loop, to the pet walk, and take the bike down the pet walk behind the 800 and 900 loops to the bridge to the group camping area, where I see the Native American invasion!!!

Ti Pi's (that is how they roll)!!:

ThanksgivingFW2008052.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008053.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008054.jpg

Do you know that this group camps at the Fort for Thanksgiving every year?

And that they cook turkeys in a big fire pit that the Fort management digs for them every year?

Here is the pit (covered with safety plywood, and protected by cones):

ThanksgivingFW2008055.jpg

You see that rolled up piece of aluminum sheeting? They use that to cover the pit after the turkeys are on the coals.

Another view of the cooking area:

ThanksgivingFW2008056.jpg

Do you know how they get the coals?

The same way as the Native Americans did.

Charcoal, of course.

Do you think they have enough?

ThanksgivingFW2008057.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008058.jpg

I think they do.

A few more ti pi shots:

ThanksgivingFW2008059.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008060.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008061.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008062.jpg

Time to move on.

Next up, around the 2000 loop, and on to the Meadow area.

TCD

Very cool, ahhh the memories. :) Looks like we were at FW at the same time and I do remember seeing your site now, but I don't remember seeing your Dis'er sign or Mickey lamp post. ???

Wilderness Wookies and I had our corner covered on 800 loop and we even had two other sites that joined in and were decorated as well. Seems to me though that there were lots of folks that didn't even bring some icecycle lights or something to hang off their awning.

PS
Wish I had known that the Teepee tribe was only a Thanksgiving thing. I knew I hadn't seen them from my earlier stays this year on the 800 loop, but I didn't realize the whole story till I read it on the boards here. I would have taken a picture of them before I left on Sunday. :)

TCD,
You're the best spy around (I especially liked the TE "Chef Parking" shots)!! We'll be at the Fort in 22 days, and your photo-journalism skills have really built up our anticipation. Thanks so much for sharing everything from sewer hose decorations to pony nostril steam.

Oooh, I walked right past the TCD site on Saturday morning! I distinctly remember your alligator because I was explaining to my daughters what the Gator, the 'Noles flag (in the 500 loop), the Auburn golf cart and a few other decorations were. My Big Ten girls needed an education on the SEC.

Come on now TCD. We were repping the Gators and we were even on the same loop as you. How funny is that and I never saw you? I remember your Gator. We were on the way in though about 10 sites in - site 322. We were the ones on the Blue Golf Cart with a Gator Head on front. And my father-in-law (he had a yellow NASCAR golf cart) had his blow up Gator out and he was right across from FSU fans. :rotfl:

During half-time we took out the golf cart and put my cousin on the back waving our Gator flag and flagpole and did a half-time victory lap while playing the Gator Fight Song from the Ipod. We looked for you (well, at least for anyone at your site) since we could tell you would enjoy our antics!!! You had that screen up and didn't see anyone outside. Heck, it was halftime, potty time probably!

GO GATORS -- ROLL PAST TIDE!

TCD.....field reporting at it's finest (as usual)! You are the master of finding the out of the way places & have my utmost respect!:worship:

Site 360 was one we requested (and got) for many years. Easy in, easy out site! When we stepped up to a 45' MH in 2002, it would no longer fit in that site, and 300 loop in general was a little tricky to navigate in such a long MH. (I think you noticed in Oct. we no longer have that rig.:laughing: )

I'm glad you had a great weekend! Thanks for the pics.:thumbsup2

Wilderness Wookies and I had our corner covered on 800 loop and we even had two other sites that joined in and were decorated as well. Seems to me though that there were lots of folks that didn't even bring some icecycle lights or something to hang off their awning.

Stay tuned- I think that I have pictures of your site. I remember the Wilderness Wookies sign from my inspection of the 800 loop. Those pictures will be showing up in just a bit.

TCD,
You're the best spy around (I especially liked the TE "Chef Parking" shots)!! We'll be at the Fort in 22 days, and your photo-journalism skills have really built up our anticipation. Thanks so much for sharing everything from sewer hose decorations to pony nostril steam.

Glad you like the pictures so far. I have quite a few more, so be sure to check back.

Oooh, I walked right past the TCD site on Saturday morning! I distinctly remember your alligator because I was explaining to my daughters what the Gator, the 'Noles flag (in the 500 loop), the Auburn golf cart and a few other decorations were. My Big Ten girls needed an education on the SEC.

Big Ten? That's the conference that sends a team for a SEC team to beat for the National Championship each year, right? Didn't see any Brutus inflatables at the Fort for some reason. :confused:

Come on now TCD. We were repping the Gators and we were even on the same loop as you. How funny is that and I never saw you? I remember your Gator. We were on the way in though about 10 sites in - site 322. We were the ones on the Blue Golf Cart with a Gator Head on front. And my father-in-law (he had a yellow NASCAR golf cart) had his blow up Gator out and he was right across from FSU fans. :rotfl:

During half-time we took out the golf cart and put my cousin on the back waving our Gator flag and flagpole and did a half-time victory lap while playing the Gator Fight Song from the Ipod. We looked for you (well, at least for anyone at your site) since we could tell you would enjoy our antics!!! You had that screen up and didn't see anyone outside. Heck, it was halftime, potty time probably!

GO GATORS -- ROLL PAST TIDE!

We were also out on patrol at half time. I'll post some photos of what we saw a little later. I did see the other Gator inflatable on the 300 loop. Since we were right near the exit, I didn't go around the loop much, but on Saturday, I heard someone say, "Oh, look, it's another Gator," so I had to go out and investigate. Your FIL's inflatable is old school, and I always wanted one of those. I took a photo, which I will post later. I noticed that he took it down right after the game. Probably a smart move-especially with FSU fans across the street.

TCD

great pictures as usual! we all need to see this now, up north, lol. How does 303 look? i bet that site looks great for the holidays too!

great pictures as usual! we all need to see this now, up north, lol. How does 303 look? i bet that site looks great for the holidays too!

Donna- You know that I have some photos of 303. So stay tuned. The man in 303 had Thanksgiving decorations up, and did not start with the Christmas ones yet. From our site, we could look across and enjoy the decorations on 303. I hope someone can get some good photos of the Christmas decor on 303 once that gets done.

The entrance to the 300 loop was just not the same without the Howards in site 301. It made me quite sad, actually.

TCD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter