Test Track not worth the wait

I assume they stopped the car design preshow during covid. This avoids having several people all touching the same control panel and/or needing to disinfect them between users.

Most preshows were halted for COVID (including the stretching room at the HM), having people stand together in a room for 5-10 minutes didn't lend to social distancing.

Last edited:
I just tell my son to roll the window down on the highway for 20 seconds and that's test track. Lol def not worth the wait for my family.
LOL, this is me! For some inexplicable reason my husband REALLY likes this ride, so I suck it up & go on it with him every EPCOT visit. I'd never bother if I was by myself.

I don't care about designing the car. It's just a way to kill time. The fast part at the end is totally worth the wait. It's so much fun! Also my mom hates Disney World and refuses to go back after doing 3 trips there when we were kids (last one was in 2000), but even she fondly remembers Test Track as her favorite ride.

Sadly, they can't mimic RSR due to the ride's location in Epcot...
Sure they can... quick & easy Radiator Springs overlay to Test Track:

Slap faces on the vehicles, add a scenic facade to the outside of the building and throw in a few characters on the side of the road (hopefully not cardboard cutouts like I've illustrated below).

VOILA! Radiator Springs now at IP-COT (um, I mean EP-COT).

582531 582532

In my opinion, no attraction is worth more than a 30 minute wait. That is why I miss FP+. Waiting in line is hot, uncomfortable, and aggravating, especially without social distancing.

I don’t have feelings one way or the other on the build your own car issue, but I did like the original TT better.

Yeah that ride was one and done for my family. It's nice only having one or two rides in Epcot that require waiting in line for more than 10 minutes.

In 2019 the single rider line was the way to go. My son and I had ridden it before and didn't really need to ride together. We barely waited at all where the regular line was a pretty long wait. We rode it 3 times in succession with hardly a wait. I hope the single rider line is back for our Dec trip.

Honestly, I haven't thought Test Track was worth a long wait since they reimagined it. I miss the old queue and the story just made more sense to me before. The end is fun, but the rest is just kind of random now - to me at least. Also, after riding Radiator Springs Racers at DL and seeing what that ride system could be kind of ruined Test Track for me. Back when FP+ was available we rode it when we could get one, but I wouldn't stand in more than a 20 minute line for it. JMO - I know lots of people love it, though.

Same here. I think we rode it twice after the reimagining and now don't bother.
The car designing was kind of fun, but having a whole party design one car (which was what they were doing when we rode) defeated the purpose of competing against the other designs in your vehicle.

I know that you can't design your car right now, but we like to go "in" the "exit" and use the kiosks there to design individual cars before we get in line for the ride. Then we just wait in the design room and each of us can scan in our personal car for the "competition." We get pretty crazy about it and have a good time. LOL

Designing the car is pretty meh, but the ride itself is still a lot of fun. I think it's worth a wait. Maybe not an hour, but I'd wait 1/2 for it without hesitation.

Rode Test Track last week. Without the pre-show letting you design your own car, the ride is kind of baffling. For first timers, I am sure they come off the ride with a "what the heck was that" attitude. Sure the high speed trip at the end is fun, but everything leading up to it is just erratic. Wouldn't waste an hour waiting for this ride right now.
Would have to agree. While I enjoy TT, without the pre show and creating your car, its not as much fun.

Isn't it interesting how different people like different stuff? Designing the car is literally whatever to me but that final race track element? Makes it all worth it!

And, I don't really have a choice - my 3.5yo son is obsessed with the ride and we have to ride it multiple times per day when we are at EPCOT (every Disney trip has at least one EPCOT day) :car:

I know that you can't design your car right now, but we like to go "in" the "exit" and use the kiosks there to design individual cars before we get in line for the ride. Then we just wait in the design room and each of us can scan in our personal car for the "competition." We get pretty crazy about it and have a good time. LOL

I was wondering if anyone else discovered this “hack”. We do the same thing except we then use Single Rider and then compare scores on the big board at the end.

Wouldn't waste an hour waiting for this ride right now.
Do you feel its worth an hour wait if the car design portion was still happening? IDK. IMO, I don't think it adds that much to make it significantly better. I agree it gives more context to the ride, especially for first time riders, but everything else is the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts