Terminally ill friend, please help

lmhall2000

May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you
I just found out today that my friend's cancer is terminal and they are just using treatments to extend her time. She has stage 4 lymphoma and is the homeschool mom to 2 boys ages 5 & 8. She told me tonight when she was diagnosed that the only thing that popped into her head was taking her boys to see DisneyWorld. The chemo therapy has wiped out their excess funds and I'm sure they're trying to prepare for the boys future as well. I am going to do my best to get them all there- I've written a letter to the CFO of Disney, Delta (to see if they'll let me donate my skymiles), and the corporate offices at Lake Buena Vista. If you know of any other avenue that might help please forward. And if any of you Disney afficionados who have experienced these resorts could name the one resort you would think would bring the most smiles to a 5 & 8 year old pair of brothers would you please let me know? All Jennifer wants is to relish the smiles they'll get from a week away from all the doctor visits and to spend just a solid week with their mom & dad. Thank you so much. Tara Hall

Tara, welcome to the Dis. I don't have any personal experience with these types of things but did just do a quick search on Google for "terminal illness disney world" and up popped many links, one of which was the following: Dream Foundation Website. I don't know anything about that particular foundation, but I am sure you will find many decent ones in your quest. I wish your friend God speed.

As to which resort, any of them would be magcial. The Value, Moderate, Deluxe, and Home-Away-From-Home resorts all are wonderful and have something special to offer. Begin searching through this website for opinions on each of them, and follow up by going to the "official" WDW website for some more info on their resorts: click here for the official WDW website.

By the way, I had a coworker who was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS). Her dying wish was to take her son to Disneyland Paris. My company had a fundraiser and we were able to make her last wish come true. If your friend's spouse works for a decent company, get him involved. I am sure his coworkers would love to help make his wife's dream come true.

I'm sorry I don't have any other suggestions beyond what Janet2K has already mentioned but I did want to ask you to let your friend know that I have already said a prayer for her. I am in tears while writing this. I know that they would enjoy any Disney resort. I have stayed in value, moderate, and deluxe. While it's been to long to remember my stay at the moderate (I was in the 8th grade) I know I felt just as much Disney magic at the value resorts as I do at the deluxe resorts.

Dear Fellow Tennessean,
I hopefully will be able to think of more suggestions, but for the moment may I suggest you post this on the Community Board also?
A month or so ago there was a similar situation there, and everyone seemed to pull together and get it done. Perhaps they can offer ideas.
My prayers are with you, your friend, and her family.

Originally posted by indigo
I also recommend looking into the 'make a wish' foundation.

This does not fall into the Make A Wish mission statement. The request must be for a child, not the children of an ill adult. It must also come dorectly from the family or medical caregiver/social worker.

Anne

Thank you all! I have checked with the Dream Foundation and am wwaiting a reply- they need proof that the individual has less than a year to live- tough question- it could be two months or it could be 18months. And Jennifer has a hard time putting a timeline on it and would wait until the last minute to accept such a gift- while her health is still relatively stable I want her to go now rather than wait until she has no energy left to make the trip enjoyable. And the Dream Foundation won't give "surprise" gifts- so I'm determined to surprise her where she has no choice but to accept. Your prayers and ideas are so much appreciated- thank you!
Tara Hall

Tara....another situation not unlike what your describing recently came to a happy ending...you might want to pm "tkyes" here on the DIS...she usually hangs on the CB...she (and others) spearheaded getting another family to WDW...while I know she just got back from a trip..she might have some pointers for you.

ALSO, try WDW's Compassion Program...you should fax them a letter describing the circumstances at 407-828-8121....they'll send you back a fax with what they can do.

Bless you for trying to help these poor folks!

PM me, if I can be of any help to you.

So sorry to hear about your friend. There are a lot of good people in the world and I would have to think that if enough people got together or got to the right person you could work something out.

These are all good suggestions above One other thing I've seen done is that you can open a bank account and then post about how to deposit into it. That way family, co-workers, friends, even people on this board would be able to contribute if they want. It could really add up.

I think you could also do the same thing with Delta skymiles. Most business travelers like me have a bunch they never use and would gladly donate them.

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend and will keep this family in my prayers.

Your ideas are really panning out- here's an update so that you may be able to help others if it comes up again. The Dream Foundation is letting me set up an account to receive skymiles in Jennifer's name- luckily I had 65,000 miles which will cover atleast 2 tickets-so I'm halfway there! A sweet lady from this site has volunteered her help with designing a flyer or email page to help solicit donations. I'll let you know if I get a response from the Compassion number for Disney- I faxed them tonight. I think between her church and our local homeschool support group we should be able to pull this off within 4-6 weeks. I'll set up a webpage hopefully with dear husband's help and if there are any extra proceeds we'll set up a fund for her two boys- thank you all for your great tips and I'm thrilled to see it beginning to come to fruition. Blessings,
Tara Hall

You are a wonderful friend and I really feel for your friend and her children. I asked my 8 year old which hotel he would want to stay at if he was going just once and had his pick and he said the Contemporary in a Tower room with a Magic Kingdom View! Another thought, how about calling the hotel managers as well as see if they can swing upgrading to something really special. If you would like me to contact any of them, please let me know. I would be happy to help. Carolyn from NJ aigjr@aol.com

Tara,

I think Goofyandmore has a good idea for the resort. The Contemporary definitely appeals to children. The boys would love this.

My heart goes out to your friend and her family and to you. Sometimes, we don't know how much we truly have.

I have some North West sky miles to donate. Not a ton but when things get together Please post a name and number of the person where I could call and have mine switched over. Our whole family will pray for your friend and her family. You are a very Wonderful friend. And with all the wonderful DIS Family here I know something Magical will happen.

Chatty

It might be a nice idea to have them stay in a home away from home resort, this way if Mom is not feeling well she will have more room to spread out and a full kitchen to keep food.
Keep us posted.

If you post on the DVC board, maybe you could rent points and they can get a studio or 1 bedroom.

I had a very good friend die of lymphoma in 1995. We went to the same church while I was at college. She and her husband were married only a year when she found out. She died 8 months later at 22 years old. No kids, but left behind two much younger sisters.

I hope everything works out with your plan. You are such a good friend and you've come to the right place for answers. Please keep us posted as to how we can help!

If your friend's energy is limited the family might want to consider monorail hotels. This is an easy on/off for the magic kingdom, which would permit short jaunts, and an easy transfer to epcot.

The polynesian is magical. Grand Floridian pampers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter