Tell me the "secrets" of the dining plan please?

This is my question too- do we need to explain every time we use the plan "I want this as a snack credit" "I want this as a side instead of dessert" etc?

When you buy a meal that comes with a side/dessert, it's purchased as all one unit. Like at a QS a burger and fries + drink is your meal credit. There's no worrying about dessert, because QS credits don't come with dessert.

If it's a TS meal, then you'll order an entree, a dessert, and a drink.

If you're just buying a snack, it'll have the purple and white symbol from upthread, and you just need to tell the cashier CM that you're using a snack credit.

We found that most of the CMs at the resort were fantastic about making sure we got everything at a meal we could get.

Can we opt to pay OOP for some of our TS orders and use the dining plan on others, at the same meal? For instance, my (disney adult) 10 year old eats next to nothing so he'll probably want to order a kids meal or side dish. Can we pay OOP for him and save up the TS credits for another meal for the rest of us? (Of course at buffets he'd have to use a credit).

Can we opt to pay OOP for some of our TS orders and use the dining plan on others, at the same meal? For instance, my (disney adult) 10 year old eats next to nothing so he'll probably want to order a kids meal or side dish. Can we pay OOP for him and save up the TS credits for another meal for the rest of us? (Of course at buffets he'd have to use a credit).
Yes.

This is my question too-
1 do we need to explain every time we use the plan "I want this as a snack credit"
2. "I want this as a side instead of dessert" etc?
1. Anything that can be purchased with a snack credit will have the purple and white ddp logo next to it so just let the cashier know you want to use snack credits.

2. If you are using a counter service credit there is no dessert included so there's no option to sub a side for it. When ordering the entree using a CS credit you get everything that is included in the description of the entree on the menu/menu board. For example, at some places the menu will say "burger with lettuce and tomato" while at a different CS it will be "burger with lettuce and tomato and fries" so at one place you'll get fries, but at the other just the burger.

2a. If you are using your Table Service credit which does include dessert, but you don't want dessert, some restaurants will have a substitute item, but...the item will be something of the restaurant's choosing. Most often it has been a small side salad, a cup of soup or a veggie. You will not be able to choose something from the menu like an appetizer or a side dish as a substitute. You will have to ask at every TS restaurant where you don't want the dessert.

We prefer eating breakfast in room while all are showering/dressing so we take yogurt, muffins, bagels, creme cheese ............ so when we use the plan in the food court ..... we use our mug for our drink, then use our drink option to grab bottles of orange juice. Put in the fridge and use next day with our breakfast.

Last edited:
When you're at Hollywood Studios and you need a snack, go to Oasis Canteen - funnel cake with soft serve ice cream and strawberries $8.19 but... it's a snack credit! This snack can definitely be shared.

Funnel Cake - strawberry topping and soft-serve vanilla ice cream $8.19
ddsnacksymbol.jpg

thumb_600.jpg
Oh I will definitely be on the lookout for this!

What is the latest on using a CS meal for multiple snack credits? Is it now two or three snacks for one CS meal? Staying at the Contemporary for the first time in years and I remember last time I could get the cupcakes as a snack and took some home with us. We usually split an entree at BOG for lunch and then get soups and cupcakes each.

What is the latest on using a CS meal for multiple snack credits? Is it now two or three snacks for one CS meal? Staying at the Contemporary for the first time in years and I remember last time I could get the cupcakes as a snack and took some home with us. We usually split an entree at BOG for lunch and then get soups and cupcakes each.
I've seen mixed reports on this. Some report 3, some report 2. Two makes sense with the removal of the dessert. It's also been reported with mixed results on whether its allowed, but it has been consistently reported that the converted snack credits need to be used at the same time, which also makes sense.

thank you, much more flexible than the last time we had Dining Plan. Still tying to decide if we want to do it as my daughter and I split food, but with an 'Ohana reservation and Be Our Guest lunch running us $50 the last few times while sharing..... it may be a wash, but we'd have snack credits to bring stuff home with

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter