Technical questions

shellface

Mouseketeer
On the vanity side of things.....

If I take my hair dryer and hair straightners will they work ok off an american power supply with a suitable adapter plug?

does anyone have any advice? my partner seems to think they won't work!!!!

also will I be able to charge my mobile out there?

I have never paid attention or bothered in the past!!!! the hotel generally had hair dryers but I will be in a villa this time around

any help appreciated

:confused3

Best bet is to look on the plug of the electrical item if it says 110-250v then yes it will work but maybe a little slower than usual. If it says just 230-250v then unlikely that it will work. I have a travel hairdryer that has a switch so can change its voltage and it works really well. Most mobile phones if triband will have a suitable plug for the 110-250v range. So just need the plug adaptor to go in the socket.
Claire ;)

bums looks like my hair will have to be wavey and wet!!!!

:(

thanks for the advice though...at least I won't be over packing now!!!

I would have thought the villa would have a hairdryer - if you've hired direct you could check with the villa owner.

An alternative is to just nip to Walmart on your arrival and pick up some 'appliances' - you could also look for a car charger for your phone - I've not done this myself but I would have thought this would work the same as in this country (assuming you are getting a car).

If the mobile is for phoning home you could buy a phone card and just use that. The villa will have a phone that you will be able to use for outgoing and incoming calls.

tartangirl said:
If the mobile is for phoning home you could buy a phone card and just use that. The villa will have a phone that you will be able to use for outgoing and incoming calls.

thats something I hadn't thought of!!

although the mobile is always good in parks to find lost family members!!!!

just been on the argos sight to check for travel appliances!!!!! :rotfl:

My hairdryer came from Boots and is very good :)
Claire ;)

Just found my old travel hair dryer whilst sorting through some stuff...thought I had one some where!!!

so now all I need is an adapter and perhaps I may treat myself to some travel straightners!!!

:teeth: :teeth:

car charger for the mobile sounds like a good bet x thanks

Thought you would like to know that I took my ghds with me and they worked great, perhaps not quite as hot as the UK but straightened my hair enough that I was happy.

orlando novice said:
Thought you would like to know that I took my ghds with me and they worked great, perhaps not quite as hot as the UK but straightened my hair enough that I was happy.

I have just bought some travel ones specially!!! :rotfl: should have read this post before hand!!!

never mind they fold up and everything so they won't take up so much space which is a bonus!!!

:teeth:

this post has got me thinking about my battery chargers for camera and camcorder,plug says 250v.Does this mean they won't work :confused3

brer rabbit 28 said:
this post has got me thinking about my battery chargers for camera and camcorder,plug says 250v.Does this mean they won't work :confused3

I am not sure (having started the thread in the first place!!!) however I believe in the past I have used my phone and camra charger using an adapter plug and they have charged...all be it a bit slowly!!!

I think you just need to allow extra time thats all

although someone did suggest earlier that a car charger works well for mobiles

hope this helps

Michelle

xx

Be mindful if you take an item that says 250v on it that it may not work at all. I took my rechargable ladyshave a few years ago it wouldn't charge at all. The plug adaptor only helps you to plug the item into the differenet style of socket, it does not do anything to change the voltage. You need a voltage adaptor for that I have heard Maplins do one for about £25.
Claire ;)

We find our camera (video and digital) chargers work fine. The mobile charger works fine (old Nokia chargers don't, the new ones do). My tongs work fine - just take longer to heat up.

The hairdryer and electric toothbrush didnt work. We ended up buying a cheap US hairdryer which I now take with me each trip and we bought a US electric toothbrush which works in the 110v socket in the bathroom at home so long as we use a US adaptor.

susieh said:
We find our camera (video and digital) chargers work fine. The mobile charger works fine (old Nokia chargers don't, the new ones do). My tongs work fine - just take longer to heat up.

The hairdryer and electric toothbrush didnt work. We ended up buying a cheap US hairdryer which I now take with me each trip and we bought a US electric toothbrush which works in the 110v socket in the bathroom at home so long as we use a US adaptor.

you need an electric toothbrush when you travel?

Claire L said:
You need a voltage adaptor for that I have heard Maplins do one for about £25.
Claire ;)

A little while ago we saw a 'step-up transformer'. I think it was in Maplins, but it was so heavy. When we commented about the weight to the assistant his advice was to wait until you get to the USA and buy one there because it would be cheaper.

Good advice perhaps, but I don't really want to be shopping for something like that on holiday. Also, what do you do with it at the end of the trip as it would impinge on the weight allowance a little. It is a problem as I have two daughters and a wife who can't live without hair straighteners!!

jna said:
A little while ago we saw a 'step-up transformer'. I think it was in Maplins, but it was so heavy. When we commented about the weight to the assistant his advice was to wait until you get to the USA and buy one there because it would be cheaper.

Good advice perhaps, but I don't really want to be shopping for something like that on holiday. Also, what do you do with it at the end of the trip as it would impinge on the weight allowance a little. It is a problem as I have two daughters and a wife who can't live without hair straighteners!!

I agree with you that shopping for this item would be no fun at all!!! plus it would be a big old waste of money if you left it behind just because of its weight.

really if you are going on holiday you could just "go with out" a few luxuries, however you also want to look your best on nights out, for dinners or whatever!!! not to mention looking good for Mickey!!!!!

I can see how in a house with three girls the hair straightners will become a major issue!!! :rolleyes: :teeth:

I shall report back on how well the travel straightners worked for me on my return from the US just before the new year so you can decide on wether to invest in a pair or not!!!!

:teeth: :teeth:

disneyholic family said:
you need an electric toothbrush when you travel?

As we use an electric toothbrush at home we take it on holiday with us. I expect most men who use electric razors take those rather than switching to wet shaving on holiday - this is the same logic to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter