• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Team 'Ohana 2009: No One Left Behind

I've just updated the probable/possible events that people seem to be interested in doing in 2010--just the longer ones. Still hoping to see some informal 'Ohana meets develop! :thumbsup2

As for the teams, please check out the WISH thread I started asking for feedback on what, if anything, to do in 2010! I'm soliciting feedback and (hopefully) organizational volunteers.

And speaking of volunteers, what about my cousins and this thread.....:rolleyes1

I'll start by volunteering to help organize anyone wanting to come to San Antonio for the November RnR race. I likely know the city better than anyone else and can help point out the good touristy spots to be and give input on some nice hotels. It is very family-friendly and many hotels are near/on the race course. I'm also going to try to see if I can make another event somewhere close to other team members that several others might go to also (no promises, but I will look to try, I just seem so far away from everyone else--and I know I'm not the only one that way).

I'm not sure what kind of volunteering you need, but I will help out where I can.

Also, I did my first post-Goofy run Monday (8 days after) after did an easy 2 miles. I could have done more--and wanted to--but thought it best just to take it easy for this week and see where I am. I could feel the soreness/stiffness a bit I got started, but had no problems running. I also got around to sending in my registration for the Half Marathon Fanatics and was accepted at the Uranus Level, with hopes to bump that up to Jupiter or Saturn Level one of these days. My only question on this now is do I blame Mel for getting me interested in a new insanity or thank her for helping to jumpstart my motivation...

Hi Cousins!
I'm still not sure about the Half next weekend - I did a 3 mile run on Sunday - was supposed to be more like 6 but I am starting tech for Eurydice which turned into a scheduling comedy of errors, and I was trying to squeeze in something beforehand, but they ended up not needing me after all , and since I had already showered and everything, instead of running another few miles, I took a 2 hour nap. Yes I did. Because the 3 miles that I already did had kind of sucked. I also took another LONG nap today. I'm a little concerned about this, I must confess, but then I think about how much sleep I lost and how much effort I put in over race weekend and maybe it's just good. I think I may have been kidding myself about racing again so soon after Disney, but here's my plan. I am going to register for the Frozen Half at the store that is sponsoring it - you get 25% off purchases when you do that. If I buy some shoes and ashirt, I am kind of breaking even on the registration fee. Mentalism at its worst, I know. I'll plan to start the race, run it easy and if I finish, I finish. If I DNF, it will be OK, and I'll have gotten an outdoor long run.

Richard - did I say this before? I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel last year and it was really nice and convenient. Lacking in a food court, though - what's up with that at DL in general?? Plans are not at all stabilized here - some of the same crew I traveled with over marathon weekend are planning on going to DL as well, but I don't have a clue how many or logistics at all. :rolleyes1

Debra - Thanks so much for everything you do for the Teams challenge! I have thoroughly enjoyed being a part of it. I feel guilty for not volunteering to organize but I kind of feel like I'm awfully flaky when it comes to numbers and even keeping up with the boards. I have a few design/layout skills but I am not sure how that would benefit the Team movement. Let me know if there is some way a person like me could help.

I have a few other thoughts on the Teams that I'm going to post on the Teams thread....just as soon as I write them up.....like I said......flaky.:rolleyes:

I'm almost afraid to slink back in here -- I scanned a few pages, and apparently y'all are turning into planets? Why does this feel like a Dr. Who episode? If I'm going to be a planet, I think I choose Betazed, it's a good thing I'm already married...

So glad the new "Jenlet" is here! :woohoo: Apparently, now she can start training for her first kids race -- you really can never start too soon...

Maria :upsidedow

I'm almost afraid to slink back in here -- I scanned a few pages, and apparently y'all are turning into planets? Why does this feel like a Dr. Who episode? If I'm going to be a planet, I think I choose Betazed, it's a good thing I'm already married...

So glad the new "Jenlet" is here! :woohoo: Apparently, now she can start training for her first kids race -- you really can never start too soon...

Maria!!! So glad to see you again! I don't think all of us are turning into planets. So far Just Richard and Mel, I think? Though I could be wrong. Betazed is quite the planet - it's not on the Half Fanatics list, but I'd support you in it anyhow. Imzadi.....ha ha ha - that always cracked me up for some reason.

I so wish we'd snagged a photo of you, me and Jen at POR's food court - would have been scenic! Hope to hear more from you soon. :hug: Oh, and congratulations again on your PR! :thumbsup2

You are always welcome, Maria, I'm really sorry we never got to meet at Disney. I have to agree that touring with family put a damper on my ability to see other WISHers. "You want to meet with which friends? ...Where do you know them from?...Why haven't I heard of them before?..." BTW, I like your mix of multi-platform sci-fi elements in your post. :happytv:

A few of us are rushing headfirst off the deep end of half marathoning with the Half Fanatics.

On the recovery side of things, today was the first full speed wotkout I have had since returning from Orlando. Of course it was only swimming, and only for 20 minutes (800 yards), but it is a good start. I have started looking at the Run Wild Half Marathon near Houston on February 21st and am thinking PR opportunity. The area is flat and suitable to a good run. There is also another race nagging the back of my mind right now, the Rocky Raccoon 50 Mile in Huntsville, TX on February 6th. I want to do this one day, but I'm just not sure this is yet the time...although Goofy does make for a good training run in preparation!! At least so long as I jump back up this week and put up some big miles this weekend. :scared1:

Good heavens, Richard! 50 Miles? Where does this stop?? My feet hurt just thinking about it! That being said, I'm sure you can do it if you put your mind to it. Just imagine how much of a time-suck those long runs would be, though. Man!

Good news - I think my "working hard to recover" plan yesterday helped a lot. I went to a spin class this morning and, while I can't say I kicked any booty, I can definitely say I did about as well as I susually do, which is fair to middlin'.

The jury is still out on the race for this weekend. This morning, I heard predictions of not only sleet but freezing rain. I won't run if it's slick out. I have my brain to think of, after all. :sad2:

In other news - I am doing tech/ASM duties this week for a production of Eurydice that opens on Friday. It's not too hard, and I get to drop petals from a high place onto actors below, plus work the multi-media video element of the piece. It's a strange show, though, I must say.
:jester: <----Seriously - that is the costume that the Lord of the Underworld wears at one pointl

Good heavens, Richard! 50 Miles? Where does this stop?? My feet hurt just thinking about it! That being said, I'm sure you can do it if you put your mind to it. Just imagine how much of a time-suck those long runs would be, though. Man!

I have no idea where this leads, can you come down to stop me! At least no forecasts for freezing weather or precipitation here. The 50 mile run would be in the state park, pretty area, lots of trees, occasional coral snake and crocodile (or is that alligator, I never remember). It is a real back-to-nature environment there and I like it a lot. That "time-suck" is why it comes to mind now, as I have already been preparing for the extended Goofy effort earlier and would not have to do its own special training, if I am ready enough now.

Good news - I think my "working hard to recover" plan yesterday helped a lot. I went to a spin class this morning and, while I can't say I kicked any booty, I can definitely say I did about as well as I usually do, which is fair to middlin'.

I keep meaning to try spinning, but never do. What are your thoughts on it?

The jury is still out on the race for this weekend. This morning, I heard predictions of not only sleet but freezing rain. I won't run if it's slick out. I have my brain to think of, after all. :sad2:

Good thinking!! We'd all hate for you to get hurt when there are many other races later on.

I keep meaning to try spinning, but never do. What are your thoughts on it?

It's a fun bicycle workout, and with your Tri experience, I'm sure you'd probably like it. Because I've pretty much just been a runner, my heart rate is no indicator of how screaming my legs are at a given point of the workout! It is a good balance for the running workouts, though, AND beats biking outside in a Minnesota winter! I feel like I push myself harder than if I were just on a stationary bike on my own, too.

There is also another race nagging the back of my mind right now, the Rocky Raccoon 50 Mile in Huntsville, TX on February 6th. I want to do this one day, but I'm just not sure this is yet the time...although Goofy does make for a good training run in preparation!! At least so long as I jump back up this week and put up some big miles this weekend. :scared1:

If you're going to run an ultra, I can't say enough good things about making it Rocky. My wife and I did it a few years ago and loved it! It was by far the best supported run we've ever been too. The aid stations are all manned by experienced ultra runners so they know what you're going through and what you need all the way along. The course is pretty and on nice soft trails. The other runners are all wonderful, friendly, and make for good company over the course of 12-14 hours. We've always wanted to go and do it again, so we'll probably be there next year too.

The "long" long runs aren't really any different than preparing for a marathon. They're more time-based than mileage-based, so the 3-4 hour runs on Saturday aren't the problem. It's the additional 2-3 hours of "short" long runs on Sunday that takes up the extra time. :)

If you're going to run an ultra, I can't say enough good things about making it Rocky. My wife and I did it a few years ago and loved it! It was by far the best supported run we've ever been too. The aid stations are all manned by experienced ultra runners so they know what you're going through and what you need all the way along. The course is pretty and on nice soft trails. The other runners are all wonderful, friendly, and make for good company over the course of 12-14 hours. We've always wanted to go and do it again, so we'll probably be there next year too.

I have done several 25K's put on by these same people and they are a good group, that is certain. Maybe I'll see you out there one day!

My 2010 schedule is coming together now as I have worked on my calendar plans this evening. I'll give up on my thoughts of the RR50 for this year, next year's schedule may actually be much better for me to do it.

I've indentified 6 half marathons and a 5K from 2/14 to 3/21. I want to try to do 3 of these races, including the 5K and 2 halfs.
I want to do the Lone Star 70.3 on April 25 and have a goal to better my 70.3 time from October by at least 30 minutes.
In the mid-May through Mid-August period I'll look to do a couple of local 5Ks and maybe a sprint triathlon or two, or even take a bit of a race break if I feel like it, and even consider an out of area travel race.
Labor Day weekend will be the Disneyland Half Marathon.
Late October will be the Longhorn 70.3 if I want to take another shot at this course again with some friends.
November will be San Antonio RnR half or full marathon. I can recommend this race and area. If any team members want to come here, I will help coordinate something.
December will be a training month in preparation for a return to Goofy (and I may throw in the 5K for good measure!).

My motivation may not be entirely back, but I feel like I am getting back on the right track. I'm sure I won't follow this exactly, but it is a good starting point.:wizard:

Richard: It was nice to finally meet you in WDW. We'll have to chat more next time. I admire your even thinking about an ultra-- Goofy is enough miles for me. I love the half fanatics site. I'm not sure if it is a good or bad sign that I qualify as a Neptune for our crazy race frenzy in the fall of '08 with DL and 2 halves in Philia from Sept-Nov.

Corinna: good luck with your race decision this week-- safety first!!! If the course is slick I'd vote stay home, your brain is too important. Looking forward to seeing you at the Princess.

Deb: Thanks for trying to get the teams figured out again this year and for organizing our little group. As for our schedule this is not set in stone but I think we have it figured out. I'll include Butch (can he be an honorary Ohana member?) Assume we are both running unless otherwise noted Feb 28- Butch running the Gasparilla full; March 7- Jen running the Princess half; April 18th- Rutgers/Unite half in New Brunswick, NJ; May 2- Broad Street Run 10 miler in Philia; Sept 5- DL 1/2; Sept 19- Philiadelphia Distance Run 1/2; Oct 2- Food and Wine 1/2; Nov 21- Philadelphia Marathon 1/2 Jan '11-- Goofy (cause apparently we never learn) we are also likely to do a 5K on Valentines Day but that is more iffy

Maria: never feel you need to slink back here-- you are always welcome and can be any planet you like. I'm partial to the Star Trek world myself too

In other things I'm back on the diet hard core and actually losing a bit. I'm back to my pre-holiday weight which is a good start. I've gotten in a few 5 mile runs and although they were not easy they were not too bad so I think I'm pretty recovered from Goofy. I just need to kick this minor head cold and I'll be perfect.

Still busy with the teams thing, cousins, but I'll be coming back to discuss this as a team member with you--as well as our racing schedules and (hopefully) mini-meets! :thumbsup2 (Oh, FWIW, I'm more of a mind to bag the miles & minutes challenge for 'Ohana and operate like the Bots. But that's just me. Who's not good at consensus making.)

It sounds like there's enough support to continue to the teams, in some form or another, this year. Lots of decisions to be made, though, so I'm hoping for some more input--specifically from team members:

For more, please see this post to the Teams 2010? thread, of which I've posted an excerpt here:

From what I understand, a (sort of) collective response to the teams seems to be

1) People appreciate the smaller, intimate teams, especially as WISH gets bigger, for team members of active threads, and new WISHers who want to get involved.
2) But people are concerned for about the effects of the teams on the WISH team as a whole, both terms of online activities (weekly/monthly thread, talking with other WISHers, getting more feedback outside one's team, the worries about emergent cliques & feelings of outsiderness) and at physical WISH meets.

It sounds as if the teams will continue in one form or another, whether as a challenge or more like a social thread (like the Bots, the Leaners, or any of the event-oriented threads like the Princess). They seem to serve a purpose for many people. But like others, I'd like to see the team aspect enable more interaction between all members of WISH. Best of both worlds.

Teams: To help facilitate this decision-making, I'd like all team members to take that extra step, go that extra mile (sorry, couldn't resist) to address concerns about the teams' effect. Talk amongst themselves, brainstorm, and have your representative make suggestions. Are you willing to be disbanded and reformed as a new group, starting new teams for an entirely new game with new teammates? If not a miles & minutes challenge, then what? People assigned to your roster or a join-at-will? What could you do to reach out to other WISHers? Etc.

Once teams have reached some sort of consensus, or a collection of ideas, could one person post them to this thread?

Teams: To help facilitate this decision-making, I'd like all team members to take that extra step, go that extra mile (sorry, couldn't resist) to address concerns about the teams' effect. Talk amongst themselves, brainstorm, and have your representative make suggestions. Are you willing to be disbanded and reformed as a new group, starting new teams for an entirely new game with new teammates? If not a miles & minutes challenge, then what? People assigned to your roster or a join-at-will? What could you do to reach out to other WISHers? Etc.

Here are my thoughts:

I'm against disbanding, I love my cousins! :lovestruc

If everyone else wants to disband and start over, I'll still play, I really like the small group support. :goodvibes

I think deciding on a "whole team" challenge is difficult if it's not miles/minutes. Everyone has different things that are hard for them -- it might be strength, cardio, mileage, or even doing yoga, there is something different for each person. That said, totally open to ideas! :idea:

I think if there was a short description of the "flavor" of each team, it might make it easier for new people to assess where they would fit, better. Someone who hates sci fi would be really annoyed by our frequent references. I like assigning people, though, so one team doesn't have 3 and another 30...that's a tough call. :confused3

I'm afraid I wasn't much help, but that's my contribution to Team Ohana's submission.

I simply must get offline! I've been on since 7 today, a little bit of work and too much DIS! The sun is shining, I'm (literally) running errands to combine a SR with household duties.

But before I go, just a couple of updates...

JenB, Butch is DEFINITELY a cousin, full-blooded! And new baby "Jenlet" is, too!

From the ever-emergent race schedule:

Anyway, here are the races we've talked about. Updated, but without 5Ks at this point. I'm mostly thinking about events we might entice each other to travel to!
  • Frozen Half (1/23): Corinna (?)
  • Myrtle Beach (2/13): Jackie
  • Breast Cancer (2/21): Mel
  • New Orleans RnR (2/28): Richard (?)
  • Gasparilla Full (2/28): Butch
  • Princess (3/7): Mel, Corinna, Kathy, JenB
  • Dallas RnR (3/14): Richard (?)
  • Sarasota (3/14): Mel
  • Tobacco (3/21): Jackie, Kathy, Jeanne(?) plus Lily & Wendy & BOTS Mike, Matt & Cindy
  • Seabrook (3/21): Richard (?)
  • Fl Beaches (3/21): Mel
  • Rutgers/Unite 1/2: JenB, Butch
  • Country Music Marathon (4/24) : Mel
  • Lone Star Tri (4/25): Richard
  • Broad Street Run, 10 miles: (5/2): JenB, Butch
  • Indy Half (5/8): Jackie
  • Minneapolis 1/2 (6/6): Corinna, Jen
  • DLR (9/5): Richard, Corinna, JenB, Butch
  • Philadelphia Distance Run- RnR (9/19): JenB, Butch
  • Disney Wine and Dine (10/2): JenB, Butch
  • Baltimore (10/16): Debra
  • San Antonio RnR (11/14): Richard
  • Philly Marathon (11/21): JenB, Butch

Okay, to possibly add to the running (sorry, couldn't resist)
  • Cincinnati Flying Pig (5/2)
  • Outer Banks, NC (11/14)

Disney's January Events:
  • 5K:
  • 1/2:
  • Full:
  • Goofy: Richard, JenB, Butch
  • Dopey:

Any event look like a possible 'Ohana meet? Richard's volunteering the San Antonio RnR and the Princess/DLR will be a lock. Richard, I'll add your events when they become solid. (And I owe you an email or two.)

Finally, before I put on my shoes and go...

Maria, Corinna: How do the BL weight-loss challenges handle so many people with different personal goals? Is there something there we could adapt instead of the miles & minutes challenge? I say that because a lot of people seem really ambivalent about the tracking. Then again, maybe it's me who's ambivalent about the tracking and the quest to keep teams balanced with people dropping in and out.....:upsidedow

Hey Debra!

BL makes it simple -- just like the show it's a weight loss challenge. There is a winner every week, and even a top ten, and it is by percentage of weight lost. We have a weightkeeper who everyone reports to weekly. I don't think it adapts well, because "your mileage may vary"...One good thing we also have is a weekly coach, and a weekly challenge. The coach is someone who posts a question each day, and then replies to everyone who posts. The weekly challenge usually consist of 4 components -- often something to do with exercise, drinking water, eating fruits and veggies, doing something for yourself, etc.

I can see where some coaching and challenge elements might be fun -- you'd have to gear them by level, though. It is a lot of work, and people generally coach for a week at a time. Corinna and I both usually take a week -- you can always tell because my time on other threads goes way down...

And in other news:

Dennis just informed me he is doing the WDW Full in 2011. This has me in a quandary. Do I try to walk the Full, or stick with the Half? He's running the Full, so I won't get anywhere near him. I'll be by myself either way, which I'm used to, anyway. If I train for the Full, can I also train for the DL Half? We may be able to swing my attendance this year...If I switch to walking from running, will I derail my weight loss? Can I even walk for that long? How do you know when you are ready for a Full? Is there a WISH group that always walks the Full I could join? I don't mean racewalks, I mean walks at a pace fast enough not to be swept ;) I am eager for any and all input. My priority is losing weight this year, and I know Full training can make that difficult...:confused3

Still busy with the teams thing, cousins, but I'll be coming back to discuss this as a team member with you--as well as our racing schedules and (hopefully) mini-meets! :thumbsup2 (Oh, FWIW, I'm more of a mind to bag the miles & minutes challenge for 'Ohana and operate like the Bots. But that's just me. Who's not good at consensus making.)

It sounds like there's enough support to continue to the teams, in some form another, this year. Lots of decisions to be made, though, so I'm hoping for some more input--specifically from team members:

I'm glad you (we) are seeing a general consensus in support of the teams, if it were otherwise I might respond with something simple like "if you don't want to be on a team , the don't be on one...but leave mine alone!", however since that's not the case I'll try to be more reasoned and less emotional.

Ohana is not the only team that has that family feel, although I do see it here more than on the other team threads, but that might be because I feel at home here. You guys are family to me, and are closer to me than some of my family, and I would hate for someone to try to take that feeling away from me (think, you wouldn't like me when you get between me and my family). You guys were here when I needed someone to talk with that I couldn't find at home, or when I needed an honest opinion on something; and when I was hurting you were here to just be there for me--and those are things you just can't find anywhere.

As the tracking goes, I was tracking my minutes and miles before Ohana and will continue to do so for myself, but even already doing that I was less than perfect about reporting, so do what you will with that portion because it is not a vital part of the team to me. I like the accountability, but I can be held accountable other ways (and even by other friends).

As far as the concerns about team posts being exclusive of over WISH posts, I seem to remember when the team formation was being discussed some posters griped about the boards having too many off-topic posts. Well, then where would our side discussions including sci-fi, books, and other multi-conversation asides belong. We all know the inside jokes here and feel they have a place here. For those who worry about cliques, I have two opinions, (1) they already existed pre-teams, the more frequent posters all knew each other and it took me over a year to start to feel comfortable with WISH--and I never felt really at home in WISH until after I was involved here in Ohana, and (B)sure some people will post primarily to teams, but isn't that their choice, some people feel uncomfortable with larger groups (if Darcy was on WISH, she would never post to WISH, but would be very involved with a team).

I really like the idea of reviving the mixer, and maybe one of the best ways to to mix team and non-team WISH would be for one team to sponsor the Monday Mixer thread, on weekly rotation, on the WISH Events board. You'll get lots of cross-participation and I bet each team will try to represent their team well.

I am just coming off my first in person WISH meet, and I felt very comfortable right away with all of you that I got to meet. As much as we have chatted here, I already felt like I knew you and you each seemed in person so much like I would have imagined. I was at Pop just before the meet (I had a scheduling conflict with the meet) and met a few names I recognized from the boards, but it lacked that personal feeling I had with those of you here.

Maybe this is too rambling and lacking actual useful imput, but it comes from my heart, in which each of you has a place.

Honestly, I could hit "Quote" on Richard's post and be done with it. Particularly the first paragraph.

When the teams were formed everyone complained that the main WISH thread was too big. Now it's dwindled to almost nothing, and only a handful of people ever post there. If you don't visit the "other" threads, you can't find anyone. While the BOTs may seem cliqueish, they have kept it together for a long time now and get together in person more than any other WISH group. Like Richard, I think Ohana has a terrific family feel, and I love the idea of trying to do an Ohana race or two, even if only a handful of us can make it.

I don't see any reason that we can't continue our existence as it is, invite anyone who wants to join us, and go merrily along our way to the next event. Challenge or no challenge.

I really like my team! :hug:

Jackie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter