• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Team 'Ohana 2009: No One Left Behind

deekaypee

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the new chat thread for Team ‘Ohana: No One Left Behind! Our miles and minutes reporting thread is here. Our monthly team totals are listed at the bottom of this post.

TEAM ‘OHANA: WE ARE STRONG, WE ARE PROUD, WE ARE FAMILY

Team ‘Ohana 2009: No One Left Behind
We are Strong, We are Proud, WE ARE FAMILY

1. CHIMERA: Mel (Co-Captain)
  2. CORINNAK: Corinna
  3. DEEKAYPEE: Debra (Co-Captain)
  4. DENNYHA: Denny (moving/inactive)
  5. DOOD: Mark, Debra's DH (he continues to use the nickname)
  6. FLUFFERNUTTER: Marcy (inactive)
  7. GATORPHIPPS: Christa (inactive?)
  8. GRIZBUZZ: JenG (inactive)
  9. JBUCCI: JenB
  10. JEANNEG: Jeanne
  11. JEN117: Jen (has new baby daughter!)
  12. LAUGHINGPLACE1999: Julie
  13. MOMOFTWOGIRLS: Kathy
  14. MOUSEDOGMOM: Jackie
  15. NOVAFAN: Kerry (inactive)
  16. PADISNEYFAN: Nancy (inactive)
  17. PLUTOSMYFAV: Sunny (inactive)
  18. RUNPRINCESS_RUN: Linda (inactive)
  19. TIBERIUS: Richard
  20. ULTRAMICKEYMOUSE: Robert (inactive), and
  21. MRS. ULTRAMICKEYMOUSE (injured)
  22. WORFIEDOODLES: Maria, and
  23. WORFIEDOODLES’ DH: Dennis

See the next post for a "cheat sheet" on the cousins!

THE CHALLENGE (details subject to change)

What Counts in the Challenge
All exercise: running, walking, wogging, biking, swimming, skiing, cross-training, lifting weights, yoga, Pilates, chasing hotties…. If it raises your heart rate, it counts! If an activity can reasonably be calculated in terms of distance, keep track of both miles and hours/minutes. If not, it still counts for hours/minutes. A reminder: all events count as double mileage (not time)!

Reporting Miles and Hours/Minutes
This year’s challenge begins February 1st. We’re asking all members to keep track of their mileage and hours/minutes and report them to the thread or to captains regularly (weekly or monthly, your choice). We’ll publish the team’s monthly totals on the first post of the thread for our records and so that other teams can feel inspired (intimidated?) by our progress.

If any team member wants to publish their individual totals, place your miles and hours/minutes in your signature area. You can update those totals as often as you would like. Feel free to draw our attention to your many accomplishments, training strategies, any training challenges or injuries, questions, and of course upcoming events.

Most Important Rule
Remember, participation in the challenge is for you! Don’t obsess about the challenge and its miles and minutes. Concentrate on the best YOU possible.

February Miles/Minutes: 1577.338 miles, 370:41:27 (w/ 95% of team reporting)
March Miles/Minutes: 1796.14 miles, 389:24:45 (w/90% of team reporting)
April Miles/Minutes: 1426.2411 miles, 332:21:30 (w/ 95% of team reporting)
May Miles/Minutes: 1473.276 miles, 313:24:30 (w/ 90% of team reporting)
June Miles/Minutes: 1428.565 miles, 324:01:40 (w/ 90% of team reporting)
July Miles/Minutes: 1664.37 miles, 310:37:45 (w/ 70% of team reporting)
August Miles/Minutes: 1515.625 miles, 325:42:15 (w/ 65% of team reporting)
September Miles/Minutes: 1760.364 miles, 312:57:00 (w/ 70% of team reporting)
October Miles/Minutes: 1189.582 miles, 237:55:12 (w/ 55% of team reporting)
November Miles/Minutes: 845.65 miles, 145:24 (w/ 30% of team reporting)
December Miles/Minutes:573.404 miles, 142:33 (w/ 20% of team reporting)
Total Miles/Minutes: 15250.575 miles, 3025:03:04 (and trying to get all the numbers in)

TEAM ‘OHANA 2009: FAMILY TREE
Please respond to as many of the following questions as you feel comfortable. I’ll collect the responses into larger posts to create an ‘Ohana cheat sheet for us and so that other WISHers can easily get to know us. If you’d prefer, you can just copy and past your introductions from last year, but I thought this option might be kind of fun.

Real-Life Name:

Describe your running/walking/biking/swimming/XT background:
What accomplishments are you most proud of in 2008? (WISH related or otherwise)
What are your WISH goals for 2009?
Planned events for 2009/2010? (Event, place, date, distance)

What do you do for fun (besides DIS)?
Favorite DIS-friendly curse word. (With apologies to James Lipton.)
In the soundtrack of your life, your theme song would be….
Interesting fact or anecdote about yourself. Blackmail-able stories are welcomed!

Read more detailed bios of "Ohana by following the links, but here's a cheat sheet!

NAME…………………………………….............SONG……………………......CURSE WORD……………......Resort for
…………………….................................................................................................Marathon Weekend

CHIMERA/Mel (Sarasota)………………...…Many……………………...........Dogspit on
..……………………………………………………………………………….…………….......Toast................................POR
CORINNAK/Corinna (“Hillville,” MN)….“The Long and Winding......Shookie
……………………………………………..…………...Road”………….…………………...Dookie
DEEKAYPEE/Debra (Pittsburgh)…........“Over the Rainbow/What....Frak/Others......................POR
…………………………………………………………….a Wonderful World”
DENNYHA/Dennis (Fort Mill, SC)….......I got nothing. .................Friggin'.............................SSR, waitlisted TV
DOOD/Mark (Pittsburgh).................."Linus and Lucy"...............Horsefeathers...................POR
FLUFFERNUTTER/Marcy (Brooklyn)…..“Seasons of Love”…….…......Oh cheezits ......................[Inactive]
GATORPHIPPS/Christa (Charlotte)…….“Amazing Grace” ………….....BFN/Big
……………………………………………………………………………………………….........Freak’n Hill
GRIZBUZZ/Jennifer/JenG (Castro……..“Upside Down”…………….......Dang. (I guess).................BW or BC
………Valley, CA—SF East Bay)
JBUCCI/JenB (Medford, NJ) ………..…“I’d Like to Visit the Moon”....Oh hickory.........................BLT
………………………………………………………..“Pressure”…………………………....dickory
................................................“Millennium March”
JEANNEG/Jeanne (Raleigh) …………...“Landslide”/”Wooly Bully”…...Eff That……………..................BLT
JEN117/Jen (Central WI)………………..“Suddenly I See”……………......SHUTUP!
………………………………......................“We’re All in This Together”
LAUGHINGPLACE1999/Julie (Boston)“When You Wish Upon……...H-E-Double
……………………………………………………………..A Star”………………………......Hockey Sticks....................OKW
MOMOFTWOGIRLS/Kathy
MOUSEDOGMOM/Jackie (Raleigh)………tough call……………………......Fudgesicle.........................POFQ
NOVAFAN/Kerry (Shoreline area, CT)."My List".........................New here/no reason to curse.....................................................................................................................[Inactive]
PADISNEYFAN/Nancy (York, PA)........"Keep on Rolling"……….......WTH.................................OKW
PLUTOSMYFAV/Sunny
RUNPRINCESS_RUN/Linda (Arkansas)..Today? Lucky by Bif Naked..Fudge, I suppose..........[Inactive]
TIBERIUS/Richard………...............................................................................................OKW & POR
ULTRAMICKEYMOUSE/Robert
MRS. ULTRA/Linda
WORFIEDOODLES/Maria (Boston) ……..“Don’t Wait for Heroes”…...Frak...............................POR
WORFIES’ DH/Dennis (Boston)……………“Dazed and Confused”……...N/A................................POR

TEAM ‘OHANA 2009: EVENT CALENDAR
This post will include a record of our events this year. Just like last year, I would like to encourage each of us to do at least one charity event. And I’d again like to suggest Race for the Cure for those of us who live close enough to one of the many cities that host a RftC. Regardless of what events you decide to do—from 5Ks to ½ and Full Marathons to Century Rides to Tris—please let us know your plans! I’ll update throughout the year.

February
2/1, Surf City 1/2 Marathon, Huntington Beach: Jennifer COMPLETED
2/7, Krispy Kreme Challenge, Raleigh: Jackie COMPLETED
2/14, Myrtle Beach Marathon: Christa PR 3:51.11 COMPLETED
2/15, Sarasota 1/2 Marathon: Mel COMPLETED
2/15, Austin 1/2 Marathon: Richard COMPLETED
2/28, ESPN 5K, Disney: Denny COMPLETED

March
3/7, Corporate Cup 1/2 Marathon, Charlotte, NC: Christa COMPLETED
3/7, Spring Fever 5K, The Woodlands, TX: Richard PR 31:09 COMPLETED
3/8, WDW Princess 1/2 Marathon: JenB, Mel, Jeanne, Kathy COMPLETED
3/21, Shamrock 4 miler, Charlotte: Christa COMPLETED

April
4/4, Muddy Trails 5k, Dallas: Richard PR 30:20 COMPLETED
4/4, Challenge Obesity 5K, Lake Como: Corinna COMPLETED
4/25, Country Music 1/2 and Marathon, Nashville: Jeanne, Kathy COMPLETED
4/25, CPCC Skyline 5K Run, Charlotte: Christa 23.13, 5th in AG! COMPLETED
4/26, Groton Road Race 10K, Groton, MA: Corinna COMPLETED

May
5/3, Broad Street Run, 10 miles, Phila: JenB & DH COMPLETED
5/3, Pittsburgh Marathon Relay: Mark COMPLETED
5/3, CB&I Triathlon, The Woodlands: Richard First Tri! 1:43:54.5 COMPLETED
5/8, Twilight 5K Run, Charlotte: Christa COMPLETED
5/9, YMCA 5K Trail Run, Houston: Richard COMPLETED
5/10, Race for the Cure, 5K, Mother's Day, various locations: Corinna, Debra, Mark COMPLETED
5/16, Hog's Hunt 25K Trail Run, Huntsville, TX: Richard COMPLETED
5/17, Sarasota Dirty Duo Race: Mel COMPLETED
5/17, Green Bay 1/2 Marathon: Jen (cancelled?)
5/24, Run to Remember 1/2 Marathon, Boston: Dennis [2:05] Julie [PR] COMPLETED
5/25, "Hearts & Minds" 5K, St. Paul: Corinna, 31:04; Winner, Athena Division! COMPLETED

June
6/3, Harpoon Brewery 5 Mile Road Race, Boston: Dennis
6/6, Siesta Key Duathlon: Mel [cancelled?]
6/6, King Tiger University City 5K, Charlotte: Christa COMPLETED
6/7, Lake Chabot Trail Challenge, 1/2 Marathon, San Francisco area: JenniferG (illness)
6/13, Race for the Cure, 5K (Raleigh, Baltimore?, Richmond): Jackie [cancelled?]
6/28, Y Freedom Triathlon, Sprint Tri, Pearland, TX: Richard COMPLETED

July
7/4, Paul Revere Run, 10 Miles, Harbor Springs, MI: Corinna COMPLETED
7/11, Run For Your Life Run For Your Cause 4 Miler, Charlotte: Christa COMPLETED
7/18, Bear River Crawl, 5K, Petosky, MI: Corinna COMPLETED
7/25: Venetian Festival Footrace 10K, Charleroix, MI: Corinna COMPLETED

August
8/8, Blue Points 5K, Charlotte: Christa COMPLETED
8/29, Yiasou Greek Festival 5K, Charlotte: Christa COMPLETED

September
9/?, Brian Honan 5K Road Race, Boston, September: Maria, Dennis, [canceled due to injury ] Julie
9/6, Disneyland 1/2 Marathon: JenB and DH, JenG, Jeanne, Corinna, and Denny (?)
9/7, Gatorade/Steelers 5K, Pgh: Debra, Mark COMPLETED
9/19, Tour de Cure Bike Ride, Houston: Richard COMPLETED
9/19, Youngstown Ultra Trail Classic 50K, Youngstown, OH: DOOD 6:53, PR COMPLETED
9/20, Philadelphia Distance Run, 1/2 marathon: JenB and DH Jen PR 2:30 COMPLETED
9/26, Hit The Brixx 10K, Charlotte: Christa

October
10/4, ZooZilla 5K Gorilla Run/Walk, Pittsburgh: Debra, DOOD COMPLETED
10/4, Twin Cities 10 Mile, Minneapolis/St. Paul: Corinna COMPLETED
10/4, Dualthon? :Mel COMPLETED
10/?, B.A.A. 1/2 Marathon, Boston: Julie
10/10, Baltimore 1/2 Marthon: Debra [deferred]
10/10, Baltimore Marathon: DOOD [deferred]
10/17, LungStrong 15K, Charlotte: Christa
10/25, LongHorn 1/2 Ironman Triathlon, Austin: Richard COMPLETED
10/25, Mud Run 5K, Little Rock: Linda

November
11/14, Richmond Marathon: Jackie COMPLETED
11/15, San Antonio Rock 'n' Roll Marathon: Richard COMPLETED

December
12/6, Decker Half-Marathon, Austin: Richard: 2:31:24, PR COMPLETED
January 2010

Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend
5K: Nancy, Jeanne? COMPLETED
1/2: Maria [PR?], Dennis, Corinna [PR 2:13:35] COMPLETED Marcy,Denny (?)
Full: Julie [PR Sub 5:00], Richard COMPLETED
Goofy: JenB & DH, Kathy [PR?], Mel, Jackie & Bill (Jackie's DH), Robert COMPLETED
Dopey: Debra, Mark [PR, Marathon, 3:27:xx] COMPLETED
Volunteering/Scream Teaming: Nancy, Jeanne, Corinna, Mel COMPLETED

Yay, I'm the first one to arrive at the party!!!!!! (Where's the bar?) :cool1:

Welcome, Marcy! :welcome:

I'll answer the questions later.......off to play some golf.....first time since before Thanksgiving!

Thanks to Debra for being our new captain.....things are looking up already.

Yippeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!! No time now, but I will be back to most answers to all those serious questions!!!!

OK, I'll go first:

Hello, my name is Jeanne and I am a Disney-holic.

I live in a little town just north of Raleigh, NC. I am 55 years old and have 4 grown children. Two boys and two girls. The older 2 are in the arts and live in NYC. The younger 2 are in sales and live in MI and TN. I work for my husband's practice, mostly out of my home. I handle all the financial aspects of his business. This year we will celebrate 35 years married, 40 together.

Two years ago, doing any sort of an organized race was the furthest thing from my mind. I was so inspired watching my daughter run her first marathon at WDW in 2007, that I decided to train. My goal was to sign up for the Donald in '08. I did my first half-marathon in April '07 with Nancy and we both found it to be easier than we expected. I convinced her to sign up for the full in '08 and we completed that successfully with less than a year's worth of training. That's probably what I was most proud of in 2008. My goal for the new year is to seriously use some weight and hopefully continue training so I'll be able to go Goofy in 2010.

I'm happiest when I am hanging out with family and friends, wasted or otherwise. I LOVE to laugh and can usually see the humor in anything. My song is "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac, when I'm feeling reflective.....and "Wooly Bully", when I'm not. My favorite swear words are "Eff that!" but I'm nice and only say "eff" :thumbsup2

Something interesting you don't know.....over 30 years ago, I had a close encounter, but refuse to talk about it because people will think I'm nuts. That's it......don't ask me any questions, because I won't discuss it. Betcha didn't know that!

My turn!

Real-Life Name: Maria
Family/Household: Me(40) DH(45) and DS(11 today!), Worf the cat (15)
Day Job: Grants Professional

Describe your running/walking/biking/swimming/XT background: I'm an adult-onset athlete. I convinced dh to do the 2008 Half to get a trip to WDW, and 'cause I assumed that meant I would look like Heidi Klum when I was done (those of you that have seen me, feel free to laugh)
What accomplishments are you most proud of in 2008? (WISH related or otherwise) My greatest accomplishments in 2008 were finishing the WDW Half, and earning my professional certification in the grants field.
What are your WISH goals for 2009? My goal is to finish the WDW 2010 Half, and not fall flat on my chin in the process, thus greatly improving my time!

Honan 5K, Boston, September, still 5K
WDW Half Marathon, WDW!, Jan?, 13.1 mi

What do you do for fun (besides DIS)? Read, watch sci fi, plan vacations
Favorite DIS-friendly curse word. Frak
In the soundtrack of your life, your theme song would be…. Don't Wait for Heroes
Interesting fact or anecdote about yourself. Blackmail-able stories are welcomed![/QUOTE] DH and I met when we worked for competing departments at the City of St. Louis. His job was to buy/redevelop real estate, my job was to preserve the properties with historic importance. Our bosses had a strong aversion to each other, and when we got married mine told me I had "gone over to the enemy". I found a new job a few months after that with a sane employer...

Here's my DH!

Real-Life Name: Dennis
Family/Household:Me(45), DW(40) and DS(11 today!) Worf the cat (15)
Day Job: Commercial Real Estate Director for public sector agency

Describe your running/walking/biking/swimming/XT background: I did sports as a kid through high school, started working out (running) in my 30s
What accomplishments are you most proud of in 2008? (WISH related or otherwise) I earned my CPM (certified property manager) designation
What are your WISH goals for 2009? I want to run one more half marathon before the WDW Half

Run to Remember, Boston, May, 13.1 mi
Harpoon 5Mi, Boston, June, 5mi
Honan 5K, Boston, September, still 5K
WDW Half Marathon, WDW!, Jan?, 13.1 mi

What do you do for fun (besides DIS)? I don't DIS. Wii
Favorite DIS-friendly curse word. I don't have one.
In the soundtrack of your life, your theme song would be…. Dazed & Confused
Interesting fact or anecdote about yourself. Blackmail-able stories are welcomed![/QUOTE] I was a heavy metal dj in college and I've been to 22 Alice Cooper concerts to date, with more to come.

Hi everyone,
I am your new cousin Marcy and am so excited to be here
I am soon to be 39 in March and from Brooklyn,NY. I have two amazing little girls ages 4 1/2 and 3 and a neat hubby.
Im a sahm/wahm,recently got certified as a raw foods chef/instructor but with taking care of the girls havent really held many classes yet.

I dont have an athletic bone in my body but it is all in my heart so with that I think I can accomplish anything. I set 2009 as the year to rediscover myself,and to regain my health. I have always had weight issues which resulted in health issues,asthma,heartburn,systemic yeast infections,and I have a leaky valve in my heart ,not to mention a BIG family history of diabetes,high blood pressure and heart problems.
it is a true blessing in all these years that I didnt develop anything serious as above.so it is a new year and a new me and I set my sights on doing the 2010 half. I figure what better as a goal than finishing a marathon and what better place than Disney. I also wanted to set 2010 as my goal because it is in 2010 that I will turn 40:sad: ,just kidding!

I will be traveling alone,hubby is a HS teacher and cannot take vacation then and will watch the girls for me so I look forward to getting tips from those of you who have done this alone..trained for it or traveled for it alone.

I know it is going to be hard.I have lots of weight to lose (approx 90),already lost 5 ,and down approx 75 from my all-time heaviest but then regained some in addition to what I still had on me but I have my food back in control,with my raw foods and I just had my very own treadmill delivered yesterday so woo hoo,Im ready.

I really look forward to getting to know all of you better and to be able to learn from all of my cousins. I truly dont want to be left behind.

wait..I still have some answers ..
okay...

Describe your running/walking/biking/swimming/XT background:
None whatsoever,but that is all about to change.

What accomplishments are you most proud of in 2008? (WISH related or otherwise)
Becoming a raw foods chef and helping my parents go vegetarian/vegan,more for their health issues than anything else.

What are your WISH goals for 2009?
to lose at least 75lbs hopefully 90

WDW 2010 Half :cheer2:

What do you do for fun (besides DIS)?
Play with my kids,watch reality shows when I get a few spare minutes which is not very often

Favorite DIS-friendly curse word. Oh cheezits!

In the soundtrack of your life, your theme song would be….
Rent-Seasons of Love

Interesting fact or anecdote about yourself.
I have a cool Disney sewing/embroidery machine but dont know how to sew.:rotfl2:

okay,I think I got them all.
Once again,thanks for having me!!!!! I know compared to all of you,Im just a baby cousin but with taking baby steps and a good goal in sight (DISNEY) I can do this.

oh and did I forget to mention..I like to talk alot..and with 2 young girls,getting a word in isnt easy at all so that was fun!!!

Yay, Marcy....from BROOKLYN.....I'm a New Yawker, too! You're gonna fit in just fine! A few of us have a good deal of weight to lose (I'm at the top of the list) but we all plod along as best we can and accomplish amazing things. Welcome, cousin!!!!
I forgot to mention that one of my goals is to complete the NYC marathon. Of course I don't have the time to qualify, so I am at the mercy of the lottery system, which means if I keep applying faithfully every year, I'm a shoe-in for 2011! I'll just add you to my list of NY buddies who I can call up to cheer.

Maria, Maria.....you always make me laugh! So you married an Alice Cooper fan, eh....tell us more about your sordid past.

Yay, Marcy....from BROOKLYN.....I'm a New Yawker, too! You're gonna fit in just fine! A few of us have a good deal of weight to lose (I'm at the top of the list) but we all plod along as best we can and accomplish amazing things. Welcome, cousin!!!!
I forgot to mention that one of my goals is to complete the NYC marathon. Of course I don't have the time to qualify, so I am at the mercy of the lottery system, which means if I keep applying faithfully every year, I'm a shoe-in for 2011! I'll just add you to my list of NY buddies who I can call up to cheer.

Aloha, cousins! Just thought I'd hula over from the Triple Ds to say hi and wish you all a wonderful 2009.

And while I am here -- Jeanne, I'm planning on doing the NYC marathon in 2010! This might be a little tough for you to pull off, since you aren;t local, but New York Roadrunners Club has this great program called 9+1. If you sign up for and run 9 of their races that are marked as "qualifiers" (no time requirements, though, so not like a qualifying time thing) plus volunteer at 1 race, you are guaranteed entry into the marathon the following year. So, maybe you need to plan to come visit your kids here in New Yawk 9 or 10 times in the next year.

Love, peace, and Mickey to all. Here's hoping all of your miles are pain (and ice) free.:flower3:

I'm loving reading the answers to all of these questions and getting to know my cousins better :wave2: I also love the drop in visits from others, hopefully it keeps up.

Welcome Marcy, last year I was also a total newbie and my cousins helped me out, I know you can do it :cheer2:

As for me:
Real life name: Jennifer
Location: Medford, NJ-- the pretty section of the state, in the Pinelands
Family: Me (37 tomorrow:scared1:), DH (36), DD5
Day job: pediatrician

Running background: I played a bit of lacrosse in HS but was never very athletic, played racquetball for fun through college and med school. My DH and I made a new years resolution last year to get in shape and due to our Disney addiction decided what better goal than to run the DIsney 1/2 marathon-- we started to jog (very slowly and painfully at first) and ran the Minnie 15K in May '08. We had an awesome time and met with WISH people for the first time so decided we would sign up for the race. Of course, by then the 1/2 was sold out so we foolishly signed up for the full. We wound up running 3 1/2's in prep then did the full at WDW a few weeks ago. DH is way faster than me, so he promises to meet me at the end and cheer in all of our races. :rolleyes:

proud of in 2008: I have lots to be happy about and proud of-- I'm thrilled that both DH and I set a goal and stuck with it, completing our 1st marathon (ok, technically we did this in '09 but is was last year's goal...). I'm also really proud of the great kid my daughter is turning inot-- I've gotta be a proud toomom :cool1:

goals for '09: keep up the great training we have been doing and try to get thinner and faster

events for '09: not entirely sure yet but for starters:
March: Princess 1/2
May: Broad Street Run (10 mile run in Philia, PA)
Aug: Disneyland 1/2 ..gotta get the coast to coast medal
Jan: going Goofy ::yes::

what do I do for fun: DH and I are big kids and love to play games. Still like racquetball but don't really do it much. We love to play Dance Dance Revolution (also decent exercise). We are big game people and will play nearly any game, I am also a big scrabble player- this is particularly funny because my spelling on the whole is not great :rotfl2: We also like wii games and summer trips to the Jersey shore. I also really like to read but have trouble finding time

dis curse word: With respect tot he wonderful show Inside the Actors Studio I'm not sure I have a favorite but I do love when Tutter the mouse (from Bear in the Big Blue House) yells "oh, hickory-dickory...."

theme song: there are too many to count it depends too much upon my mood, I really love the song "I'd Like to Visit the Moon" sung by Ernie on Sesame Street (can you tell I'm a Henson fan?) but love 80's tunes and have identified with Billy Joel's "Pressure" a bit too much at times, I also think that Disney's Millennium March could play in the background for much of my life and I'd be happy. I'm also a big Don McLean and folk music fan, so don't really try to figure it out :confused3

interesting fact: I always wanted to be a puppeteer growing up, thought working for Henson would be the coolest thing ever but in the end realized I could probably afford a home and meals a bit better if I became a doctor....

Welcome to Marcy! I saw where you requested Team Ohana on the draft board and, I gotta tell you, it warmed my heart. I think you have great taste!

Hey to HeyMickey! Thanks for stopping by with that choice NYC marathon info!

Here's my info. I can't believe I'm posting some of this.

Real-Life Name: Corinna (It's a shocker, I know!)
Location: Hillville, Minnesota (No, that's not really the town name, but it really SHOULD be!)
Family/Household: One amazing husband of 12 years, I found him when I was 14! Two sons age 10 and 5 1/2. Dont' forget the 1/2. Four cats, one crazy dog and a turtle.
Day Job: Mom/homemaker.

Describe your running/walking/biking/swimming/XT background: I ran a little in college, but then lapsed into a long span of non-running/walking/biking - you get the idea. Started with the C25K program in early 2007, met some great DIS friends on the old C25K thread and met and ran Disney races with 2 of them. Dreamed of running the 2009 half marathon, so ran several shorter races in the intervening time. Had a concussion last October, acquired while taking the dog out for a jog. I got knocked down by the neighbor dog and hit my face on the road.
What accomplishments are you most proud of in 2008? (WISH related or otherwise) That I managed to squeeze enough training into December that I was able to finish the WDW Half in January in spite of no running during the month of November. Oh, and my sub-30 minute 5K. I worked hard for that one.
What are your WISH goals for 2009? I am still formulating. Like many of the cousins, I want to lose weight in the first part of this year, on the order of, well now, 43 pounds. I feel like I neglected the speedwork a lot after I got my sub-30 last year. So I guess stronger, smaller and faster are kind of my goals too.

Definite:
WDW Half Marathon - January 2010
Paul Revere Run - July 4th, Michigan - I'm still hoping for the 10 mile this year
Race for the Cure @ Mall of America, 5K Mother's Day

Under consideration:
Groton Road Race, April 26, 2009 - 8K
New Prague Half Marathon (or alternately 5K) New Prague, MN, Day before Mother's Day I may do the RFTC walk this year instead of the run.
Bear River Run - Later in July, Petoskey, Michigan
Disneyland Half Marathon - that coast to coast medal is beckoning me as well.

I'd love to do ToT or RftT as well, but that probably won't happen.

What do you do for fun (besides DIS)? theater, travel, read, that crazy PS2 American Idol video game, read, facebook, play with the dog
Favorite DIS-friendly curse word. I've never used it on the DIS, but this is an old family favorite: Shookie Dookie!
In the soundtrack of your life, your theme song would be….The Long and Winding Road
Interesting fact or anecdote about yourself. Blackmail-able stories are welcomed! All my anecdotes are about other people. Oh, except this one. When I was a little, little girl, maybe 2 years old, my grandfather with his Irish heritage was visiting our house one time and he told me to "Go wash your paddies" Well, I thought about it and went into the washroom and came back out carrying my underpants, sopping wet - I thought he had said to "Go wash your panties!"

Aloha, cousins! Just thought I'd hula over from the Triple Ds to say hi and wish you all a wonderful 2009.

And while I am here -- Jeanne, I'm planning on doing the NYC marathon in 2010! This might be a little tough for you to pull off, since you aren;t local, but New York Roadrunners Club has this great program called 9+1. If you sign up for and run 9 of their races that are marked as "qualifiers" (no time requirements, though, so not like a qualifying time thing) plus volunteer at 1 race, you are guaranteed entry into the marathon the following year. So, maybe you need to plan to come visit your kids here in New Yawk 9 or 10 times in the next year.

Love, peace, and Mickey to all. Here's hoping all of your miles are pain (and ice) free.:flower3:

Hi Erica,

Thanks so much for visiting! That's awesome that you are doing the NYC marathon in 2010. Maybe, just maybe, my lottery will come through that year and I'll have a WISH buddy to do it with. Well, no one's as slow as I am, but we can be on the course together somewhere. Another way to get in is to raise tons of money for one of the designated charities, but I'll just bide my time and use the lottery system. When I was doing the City of Oaks half marathon in November, I met a woman who had done the NYC one 6 times. She was a member of the Road Runners club and got in that way. It was quite a number of years ago and the requirements involved doing alot fewer events than they require now. She was a walker and was always in one of the very last waves, which started around 11am. Since daylight savings was always over, she usually crossed the finish line in the dark! Yowsa! I never realized the back of the pack started so late, but it had something to do wth safety issues on the bridge. Very interesting.....

I am LOVING everyone's bios.....keep them coming!

Real-Life Name: Mel
Location: Sarasota, Florida (I am a native, born in Ft Myers)
Family/Household: DH (39), DD16, DDnearly6, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 3 fish
Day Job:physician assistant/adjunct pharmacy faculty

Describe your running/walking/biking/swimming/XT background: Oh my...I ran track in middle school. Hated distance running! Played basketball in high school, then lots of sand volleyball in college. Hated distance running! Signed up for 2006 WDW half planning to walk, then learned to W/R with the MFM book. Now...1 full, 6 halfs, 3 15Ks, 1 12K, 1 10K, 5 5Ks later.......
What accomplishments are you most proud of in 2008? (WISH related or otherwise) Last year was rough, just happy to have survived.
What are your WISH goals for 2009? half marathon PR, add more states to the half2run count, stay injury-free, learn to train and race with the limitations I have from my foot
Feb 15 Sarasota half
March 7 Princess half
June 6 Siesta Key duathlon
2010 WDW half
I'd like to do a Muddy Buddy in May, other races TBD

What do you do for fun (besides DIS)? run, knit, kayak, read, hang with the family
Favorite DIS-friendly curse word. (With apologies to James Lipton.)We learned creative swearing when DD16 was a todd. I've always been fond of "dogspit on toast" to be used in those particularly frustrating situations
In the soundtrack of your life, your theme song would be….I actually sat down a few years ago over a few weeks and wrote down a soundtrack of songs which provoke strong memories or emotions. Picking one...:scratchin ...
Interesting fact or anecdote about yourself. Blackmail-able stories are welcomed!I've only seen snow twice in my life.

Just popping in to check out the new digs for 'Ohana! :wave2: Looks good Debra! ::yes::

Oh, and the BUZZIES say Bring It On!!!!!

Hello Cousins! :wave:

Debra - Thanks for organizing all of this. :thanks:

Jeanne - Good luck with the NYC marathon lottery. pixiedust:

Marcy - :welcome: cousin! We're so glad you're here.

Maria - I saw in your post that you're doing the Honan 5K. We will probably do that one too. My DD is good friends with his niece. Maybe we can meet up. :thumbsup2 Happy Birthday to your DS! :bday:

Jen B - We're big Bear & Tutter fans in my house. I'm so sad it's not on TV anymore. Thank goodness for DVD's. :goodvibes

Corinna - I can't believe you met your DH when you were 14. I didn't find mine until I was 18! :rotfl: The Groton race you're considering - is that Groton, MA?

Erica - Thanks for stopping by to say hello. :wave2:

Mel - We have plenty of snow here if you want to see some! :rotfl: I liked it the other day when the kids got the day off from school. I don't like it anymore though.

Real-Life Name: Julie
Family/Household: me (40), DH (40), DD (9), DS (7), and DS (2)
Day Job: stay at home mom

Describe your running/walking/biking/swimming/XT background: I started running last January - I had never been athletic or even very active as an adult.
What accomplishments are you most proud of in 2008? (WISH related or otherwise): I am most proud of the fact that I signed up for, trained for, and completed a marathon.
What are your WISH goals for 2009? : For 2009, I'd like to lose some weight and run faster.
Planned events for 2009/2010? (Event, place, date, distance): No definites yet, but here is what I am considering:
Run to Remember 1/2 Marathon, Boston, May '09
Brian Honan 5K, Brighton, MA, Sept '09
BAA 1/2 Marathon, Boston, Oct '09
WDW Full, Jan 2010

What do you do for fun (besides DIS)? Play with my kids, read, plan Disney trips, go shopping
Favorite DIS-friendly curse word. (With apologies to James Lipton.): H-E-Double Hockey Sticks
In the soundtrack of your life, your theme song would be…. When You Wish Upon a Star (sappy, but true)
Interesting fact or anecdote about yourself. Blackmail-able stories are welcomed! When I was in high school, I got caught smoking by my dad. I was in a restaurant with my friends and he came in to surprise me wearing, get this, a Santa Claus suit! :santa: I didn't know which to be more embarrassed by - my stupidity or my dad's attire. :lmao: We laugh about it now, but it was horrifying back then.

Corinna - I can't believe you met your DH when you were 14. I didn't find mine until I was 18! :rotfl: The Groton race you're considering - is that Groton, MA?

Yes, that is absolutely Groton, MA. It's where I found my husband, actually, long, long ago. :) Of course, at the time he was just a cute, nerdy Junior with the lead in a very weird play that I was also in. I am not sure I want to fly out for the race, but I have a friend in Pepperell who is having a baby and it would be very nice to see her and her newborn as well, I must say!

Just popping in to check out the new digs for O'Hana! :wave2: Looks good Debra! ::yes::

Oh, and the BUZZIES say Bring It On!!!!!

Hi Allie! Nice to see you! And believe me, 'Ohana is ON! :) Tell the Buzzies to get on their marks, gets set - cause we're ready to GO! :cheer2: :cheer2:

Yes, that is absolutely Groton, MA. It's where I found my husband, actually, long, long ago. :) Of course, at the time he was just a cute, nerdy Junior with the lead in a very weird play that I was also in. I am not sure I want to fly out for the race, but I have a friend in Pepperell who is having a baby and it would be very nice to see her and her newborn as well, I must say!

I just noticed that the Groton race is Apr 26. I'll be in WDW that week, so I won't be able to cheer you on if you do that race. Well, I won't be able to cheer you on in person is what I meant. I can certainly cheer for you here on the DIS. :cheer2:

Every time I read/hear "I must say" I think of Ed Grimley, who is pretty decent, I must say. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter