TCD is just back from the Fort with Big news to report!

Thanks for the pics and update. We visited the horse barn a long time ago, but would love to do that again. I think that cabinet is full of these:
top.jpg

Yeah, that's what I thought too- for wardrobe malfunctions. :rotfl2:

TCD

Love the barn pics! I can't believe we've never gone over there to look around. Next time we will for sure.

Yeah, that's what I thought too- for wardrobe malfunctions. :rotfl2:

TCD

We only hope a cabinet full of emergency halters is available if that happens at the Fort. Embarrassing things happen to me on a daily basis, but luckily I haven't needed the emergency halter yet.

Time to start picking up the pace on this report. Otherwise, I'll be back at the Fort before I get this one finished.

After visiting the horse barn on Friday morning, I headed back to where I parked the spy mobile. In front of the old River Country entrance. When I got there, a landscape worker was tidying up around the old ticket window. I chatted with her for a little while. She said she had worked at the Fort for thirty years! I asked her about the clearing in the campsites. She confirmed that the plan is to try to have just native vegetation, and to retain the more open feel that has been created. She confirmed that the water tower had been moved for use in the pool renovation. She also told me that the boardwalk from the old Wilderness Swamp trail was, in fact, removed.

Unfortunately, I ran out of questions to ask her. But, I judge her to be an accurate source of information, should you happen to run into her yourself. Here she is:

ThanksgivingFW2008495.jpg

Do you see the orange flowering vine in the trees above her head? These were growing on a lot of the trees in the old River Country area. The landscape castmember said this is called flame vine. Here is another photo of it:

ThanksgivingFW2008496.jpg

Remember, these photos were taken on January 2nd. I sometimes take for granted how beautiful Florida can be. Here we have this beautiful vine in full bloom, while elsewhere in the country, people are buried in ice.

So, let's see, already this morning I have seen a man shoeing a horse, men painting the fence at the ranch, castmembers cleaning out the barn, and the landscape castmember sprucing up the River Country entrance. And, now I see the guy who rakes the beach:

ThanksgivingFW2008497.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008498.jpg

And, the resort boat taking off for Wilderness Lodge:

ThanksgivingFW2008499.jpg

And, the guy still raking the beach:

ThanksgivingFW2008500.jpg

Looking back toward the old River Country entrance:

ThanksgivingFW2008501.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008503.jpg

From here, I head out to do some looping.

I notice that this sign has received the paint-over treatment. They painted over the part that said "Electric Cart Rental.":

ThanksgivingFW2008513.jpg

On the 500 loop, I find twin motor homes side by side:

ThanksgivingFW2008514.jpg

I also notice that the new 500 loop grills are still slightly different from the new grills on the other premium sites. They are missing the metal shelf that is bolted on to the other grills:

ThanksgivingFW2008516.jpg

See, this is what the other premium sites' grills look like:

ThanksgivingFW2008525.jpg

You see that little shelf on there? I don't know why the 500 loop grills are missing this, but they are. And, the 500 loop grills were installed first.

The information that has been widely published about which of the premium loops will be pet loops has consistently indicated that the 400 loop would not be a pet loop. But, take a look at what is now installed on the 400 loop:

ThanksgivingFW2008524.jpg

(That's a poop bag dispenser for those of you who don't know).

So, as of now, all of the premium loops appear to be pet loops.

Oh, and about the new grills, check out this one on the 500 loop:

ThanksgivingFW2008527.jpg

Yes, that is rust on there. These grills were installed in October 2008. It really hasn't rained all that much since then. I didn't see rust on any of the other grills (but I didn't look that close). This is interesting.

On the 300 loop, I saw this very rare sight:

ThanksgivingFW2008518.jpg

This is site #303. It had been continuously occupied by the same camper for just about all of 2008. Now it is empty. But we now know it wasn't empty for long. Disboard member drafthorsecrazy moved in to this site later on this very day!

A Gator fan on the 300 loop:

ThanksgivingFW2008520.jpg

Christmas decorations on the back of a site in the 200 loop:

ThanksgivingFW2008523.jpg

Still to come . . . Some pretty good spy pictures.

TCD

I saw those signs in october! i think the horse barn is one of the fort's best kept secrets. it's an even more peaceful respite in an already peaceful place.

Time for some spy photos.

But, don't get too excited. Sometimes a spy finds something big and surprising. Sometimes he just finds something mildly interesting. But it is all spy stuff, and it is all good to a spy. Maybe for you, not so much.

Anyhow, after visiting the Settlement area, and looping around a bit, I headed to the Meadow area for a look see.

I wanted to be sure to visit the Meadow pool (or, as it is officially named, the Meadow Swimmin' Pool), as things will be changing here in the next few weeks.

I don't think that this building will be touched, but who knows?:

ThanksgivingFW2008528.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008529.jpg

I already posted one of these photos of the Snack Bar area, but here are a couple photos so you can see the extensive Christmas decorations:

ThanksgivingFW2008530.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008531-1.jpg

And, why do some signs say Meadows (with an "s") and some say Meadow (without). The Snack Bar sign says Meadows. This sign on the main road says Meadows:

ThanksgivingFW2008513.jpg

This sign says Meadow:

ThanksgivingFW2008546.jpg

And, big signs on the pool and Trading Post, say Meadow.

I always used to say Meadows Trading Post and Meadows Pool, but now I don't know. :confused3

Well, anyway, I took a photo of this sign for the Arcade, just in case there are any changes coming:

ThanksgivingFW2008532.jpg

And, standing in front of the sign that I just took a picture of, I took a picture of the pool as it currently exists.

ThanksgivingFW2008533.jpg

Some day in the not too distant future, I will stand in that same spot, and take another photo. Then I will post it somewhere here on the camping board, and we can all marvel at how nice the new pool is (I hope).

What about those spy photos I promised.

Here they come.

From the pool, I headed over to the campfire area. This is when I took the photos of the surveyors who were working across the lake. We have already seen those photos.

I decided to snoop around the building that they use to project the movies:

ThanksgivingFW2008536.jpg

In case you ever want to know what movie will be playing while you are the Fort, the schedule is posted here, and there is also this blackboard, which is used for announcements:

ThanksgivingFW2008534.jpg

Have you ever noticed these little storage areas on the side of this building? :

ThanksgivingFW2008537.jpg

I have.

Have you ever wondered what they keep in here?

I have.

What do you think it could be?

Miss Sundee's guitar?

Miss Sundee?

Chipmunk costumes?

Old VHS copies of The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again?

What could it be?

Well, we will never know, because as you can see, these babies are locked up tight. Every night. Without fail. Must be something important in there, because no one ever forgets to check the locks.

Except for last night! :

ThanksgivingFW2008538.jpg

Does that lock look unlocked to you?

I think it is!

Too bad I don't have the nerve to take a peek inside.

Then we would all know what is in there!

Well, somehow I did muster the courage to take a quick look.

I looked to my left. Clear. I looked to my right. Clear.

Slowly, and carefully, I slid the lock from its hasp. I carefully opened the door, and found:

Something really interesting.

I get out the camera to take my shot.

And . . .

My battery died!

J/K :rotfl2:

Here is the secret behind the locked shed door:

ThanksgivingFW2008539.jpg

Firewood!

Really, what were you expecting?

The important stuff must be behind those other two doors.

Not.

Actually, the inside is all one compartment, see?:

ThanksgivingFW2008540.jpg

Hey, but at least now we know where they keep the wreath boxes:

ThanksgivingFW2008541.jpg

Look, I never said that these were great spy photos. But, they are spy photos.

I know that you aren't going to believe this, but I still have some more photos (but, thankfully, not many ;) ) So, be sure to check back.

OK, let's see if I can get this report wrapped-up.

From the campfire area, I headed over to the Meadow Trading Post.

It looks like the lake in front of the Bike Barn is starting to get a little stagnant:

ThanksgivingFW2008547-1.jpg

There has not been a lot of rain in these parts lately, so hopefully this will correct itself. It wasn't that long ago that this lake and the canals were pretty nasty.

As I headed back toward the pool, I decided to appoint myself as the fashion police, and snapped this photo of a lady riding around in her pajamas:

ThanksgivingFW2008548.jpg

Actually, the real reason that I took this photo was to point out that the DVC kiosk that got built here just last April has disappeared. I took these photos at the end of April, 2008:

Dcgamez029.jpg

Dcgamez030.jpg

Dcgamez031.jpg

Dcgamez032-1.jpg

Dcgamez033-1.jpg

Dcgamez068.jpg

This kiosk was gone by the time I next visited in September, 2008. I wonder what this was all about? There has been some recent speculation that DVC activity may get ramped up at the Fort. I wonder why this kiosk was specially installed, and then removed so quickly? I guess we will see if there is any validity to the DVC speculation in the coming months.

I then headed over the bridge to the Meadow Trading Post:

ThanksgivingFW2008549.jpg

And, found the door to the storage area in the back open:

ThanksgivingFW2008550.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008551.jpg

FWNewYear2009322.jpg

FWNewYear2009323.jpg

FWNewYear2009324.jpg

FWNewYear2009325.jpg

Not terribly interesting, but now we all know what is back there.

And, with that, this report is finished.

Thanks for reading along.

Until next time.

TCD

Thanks!

I wonder what the "I can make a difference" sign is all about :confused3

That sign is in a backstage area directed at Castmembers. Just a motivational reminder to the team about why they chose a role at Disney vs. a job somewhere else.

I wanted to be sure to visit the Meadow pool (or, as it is officially named, the Meadow Swimmin' Pool), as things will be changing here in the next few weeks.

And, standing in front of the sign that I just took a picture of, I took a picture of the pool as it currently exists.

Some day in the not too distant future, I will stand in that same spot, and take another photo. Then I will post it somewhere here on the camping board, and we can all marvel at how nice the new pool is (I hope).
When you have those "before" & "after" photos, I will be happy to give them a home on my FW web page:cool1:

Sorry for the slight delay today. My computer is acting up.

On with the report.

My last update left off with us visiting Downtown Disney, briefly touring the Fort at night, and turning in.

On Friday morning, January 2, I was up early again, and now had the TCD spy mobile available to get me around the Fort quickly.

So, I headed out.

I was heading up to the maintenance area to see if I might get a glimpse of the old River Country water tower. I took the road that goes by the cabin pool. I saw something was going on there, and stopped to see what was up.

There was a castmember cleaning the pool area, and a brave camper taking a dip:

ThanksgivingFW2008444.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008445.jpg

I would say that it was in the mid 50's that morning. As you can see, the pool was nicely heated.

Some shots of the building that houses the restrooms and laundry facilities:

ThanksgivingFW2008446.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008447.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008448.jpg

Someone was asking questions here on the boards about the laundry facilities for the cabins. This is it. This is the only laundry facility located in the cabin loops. The only other place that is close would be if you had a cabin in the 2100 loop. That loop is very close to the 1000 loop, and there is a sidewalk that takes you to that camping loop's comfort station.

The laundry facilities at the cabin pool are about twice the size as the facilities at the regular loop comfort stations. Here are some shots of the inside of the cabin laundry room:

ThanksgivingFW2008449.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008452.jpg

And, check this out. If you want to bring a picnic lunch and make an afternoon out of it, feel free:

ThanksgivingFW2008451.jpg

I don't know what those picnic tables were doing in there. I have been in here before, and I don't recall those.

I love this sign.

In case you need to know in great detail what an average load of laundry consists of, here you go:

ThanksgivingFW2008450.jpg

I would say that makes things pretty clear. But, what happens if you put in three pairs of jeans, and two sets of undergarments? How much money do you need then?

I never noticed that there is automobile parking here at the laundry. It is right inside the 2500 loop:

ThanksgivingFW2008453.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008454.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008455.jpg

So, if you are on one of the cabin loops further away, then you can drive there, and park here.

The sky was beautiful on this morning:

ThanksgivingFW2008456.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008458.jpg

And, here comes a purple bus to get folks where they want to go:

ThanksgivingFW2008457.jpg

There is also a basketball hoop here in this area, for anyone interested:

ThanksgivingFW2008459.jpg

From here, I did head toward the maintenance area, but too many people were coming in and out of there.

So, I headed back to the loops, and looped around the 1700 loop. I noticed this camper's New Year's Eve decorations:

ThanksgivingFW2008460.jpg

This same camper was here at Thanksgiving. With almost the same decorations. Look:

ThanksgivingFW2008115.jpg

So, I headed down to the Settlement.

That is when I ran into the surveyors by the 600 loop. I have already posted the photos that I took of them.

I then looped into the 600 loop, and crossed over to the 700 loop. This is one of my favorite places to loop.

On the 600 loop, I saw this home-made RV. Looks rather nice:

ThanksgivingFW2008465.jpg

On the 700 loop, I cruised by the sites that had been so nicely decorated for Christmas. The last site on the left had most of its decorations taken down.
But, this Mickey Mouse remained:

ThanksgivingFW2008466.jpg

I wonder what this is all about?

Do you see the chain?

And the lock?

Maybe this statue is valuable.

Maybe Mickey saw the surveyors by the 600 loop with the orange ribbon, and has decided to start a campaign to save the trees?

I don't know.

TCD

hey tcd never read this report till today after seeing your post about new years eve. the camper you state as a homemade is actually a factory built blue bird owned by a fellow diser. mk199 owns that camper. it is in his signature. it is actually a pretty cool story. our grandfather bought it way back then it is it think a 1968/69 bluebird. they only made 11 or 14 of them. he drives it to the fort quite a bit. it actually has a plaque on the door now stating it is # whatever of only 14 made it think. and inside he also has the original pamphlet with the specs of the camper by bluebird. it has a log book of all the trips it has been on with the family from here to california and back and alot of other places. our parents actually honeymooned in it when the fort opened in 1972. yes our parents honeymooned in fort wilderness. however it has alot of the original stuff in it. it is like taking a step back in time. we were there with about 4 campers the same week from dec 26th 2008 through i think jan 4th or 5th. if you ever see it in there stop buy and knock. he loves to show it off. he has done a good job restoring it and keeping it up. we will most likely be there halloween. he does a big haunted campsite with haunted house and all. last year we were on the 500 loop with about 8 campers. stop buy i am sure he will offer you a beer. and if he doesnt i am usually on the next campsite. i will definitely buy you a beer. i am in the sprinter 311bhs. we usually have our green mickeys flying somewhere. however the shot taken was before we joined the boards so no mickey ears yet

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter