TCD is just back from the Fort with Big news to report!

Tri-circle-D

<font color=peach>Throwing some love to TCD<br><fo
Happy New Year!

The TCD gang made a last minute trip to the Fort for New Year's Eve, 2008.

And, there is a lot of news to report!

First, the installation of cable in the 2000 loop is complete. Watched the ball drop and clicked back and forth to the Disney Channel right from site #2009. It now appears that cable has been installed and is operational in every Fort Wilderness loop.

But, that is not the big news, not by far.

Second, on Friday night, January 2, a veritable army of evil elves descended upon the Fort and removed every single Christmas decoration. From the trading posts, from the bus stops, even the Christmas tree from in front of Pioneer Hall. All gone in one night. Poof! Like Christmas never happened. :(

That is not the big news either.

Here is the big news . . .

Something that you have never heard before . . .

But you are hearing it here on the Disboards fresh from an eyewitness who saw it with his own eyes . . .

What could it be?

Has construction begun on the pool?

No.

Is River Country reopening?

No.

Are there shoes back on the shoe tree?

No.

Have the beer taps been installed at the sites?

No.

Are the peacocks back?

No.

Have any of you heard anything about a new campsite loop at the Fort?

Well, take a look at this:

On Friday morning, January 2, I am out for my morning patrol, when I happen along a survey crew in the main road between the Meadow Trading Post and the 800 loop:

ThanksgivingFW2008461.jpg

What is going on here?

I know that surveyors have been a common sight around the Fort for the past year, but what else could possibly need surveying at this point?

These guys had set up a piece of their equipment right behind a site in the 600 loop- the site right next to the little pedestrian bridge that goes to the campfire area:

ThanksgivingFW2008462.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008463.jpg

Well, that might not mean anything.

Maybe they are just surveying for a new sewer line or something.

But, look how many survey stakes they are unloading and marking:

ThanksgivingFW2008506.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008507.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008508.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008509.jpg

That's a lot of survey stakes.

And, they were writing things on them like: "Silt Wall," "Double Silt Wall," and my favorite "Turbidity Curtain."

And, they started hammering in survey stakes all the way from the 600 loop, and then heading along the lake, and then making a curve back to the main road near the Meadow Trading Post.

Here they are working along the lake (photo is taken from the water's edge near the campfire area):

ThanksgivingFW2008542.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008543.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008544.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008545.jpg

This was too much for me to take.

I had to ask what they were doing.

In case you didn't notice, the truck these guys were driving had a UF tag. So, I approach them and start a converstation about the Gators.

I asked the fellow with the long hair what they were doing.

He said they were staking out a new camping loop!

When they got done, there was a clear arc of stakes that stretched from the 600 loop, back to the main road. About the same length as the 600 loop. Also, trees were marked with colored streamers to indicate whether they were to be protected, or removed. I have some more photos of this, which I will post later.

Of course, I could have been given wrong information from the surveyor.

It has happened before.

But, I can't imagine what else this could all be for.

What a location for campsites!

These will be popular.

It makes sense to me. Up to this point, the money that Disney has been sinking into the Fort renovations wasn't increasing their capacity. These new sites will. And these will be premium sites, no doubt.

You heard it here first.

Oh, and by the way.

A full TCD report will follow.

So be sure to check back.

TCD

Wow, talk about an update. Can't wait to see what comes of this!

Just in case anyone wants a map to see the location by:

ftwmap.jpg

Holy Premium Location, Batman!! That's quite a scoop. I thought you were going to announce that they were digging a canal to bring the Electrical Water Pageant right up to the bike barn. But I'll take new sites.

That's cool!! I hope they also build a comfort station cause that would be a LOT if they didn't. 600 doesn't have one and it appears that 1400 only has one and the campfire attendees use that one every night.

Wow TCD that is the scoop of all scoops, you have outdone yourself this time!!! WAY TO GO!

Ok, here is my new plan.... we get 365 of the loyal fort fiends, we all buy you 1 night at the fort each, you live there permanently and report to us every day!!! :worship::worship::worship: All hail TCD!!!

Whoa! Now that is some seriously award-worthy detective work!! Wanna bet this little bit of news is all over the internet by tomorrow? Let's just hope they credit you for it. :thumbsup2

I thought you were going to announce that they were digging a canal to bring the Electrical Water Pageant right up to the bike barn.

Oh, if only.... :cloud9:

Wow, talk about an update. Can't wait to see what comes of this!

Just in case anyone wants a map to see the location by:

ftwmap.jpg

Wow!

This thread has brought Chris out of lurkdome!

Welcome back to the Disboards, good buddy!

Here is an aerial shot of the area:

NewLoop.jpg

The area that we are focusing on here is just below the 600 loop on the map, which is labeled as Sunny Sage Way on the aerial photo.

It never occurred to me that there was enough space here for a loop. But, it looks like there is. At least for one the size of the 600 loop.

The other possibility is that this will be an extension of the 600 loop. Perhaps this new loop is going to connect to the existing 600 loop, and make it a long, arcing loop, like the 700 loop?

TCD

This is the kind of reporting that goes above and beyond what we hired TCD to do. Give that man a raise!

Only you TCD can get a scoop like that! How exciting. I wonder how long it will take before we see the finished product. Maybe we should have a Dis grand gathering to break the new loop in when it is finished :banana:

That's cool!! I hope they also build a comfort station cause that would be a LOT if they didn't. 600 doesn't have one and it appears that 1400 only has one and the campfire attendees use that one every night.

Carol, you are right, of course.

But, I doubt that they are going to incur the cost of a new comfort station. I think the idea currently is that the 600 loop folks are supposed to use the 800 loop comfort station (there is a sidewalk that goes in to the 800 loop for this apparent purpose). I think the campers on this loop are also going to be expected to use the 800 loop comfort station, or the 1400 loop one. I think that the expectation is that folks in pimped out Class A's are going to use their own facilities, so there is less demand for a comfort station in these loops.

TCD

That's great news!!! Thanks for reporting TCD! :thumbsup2

I agree, It might make more sense for 600 to be expanded similar to 700 loop. And I also agree with Carol....I hope they include a new CS!

I think it's great that they are adding sites...but looking at these photos...it makes me kind of sad that they will be using this area to do so. This is a really pretty area the way it is now. :confused:
Here they are working along the lake (photo is taken from the water's edge near the campfire area):

ThanksgivingFW2008542.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008543.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008544.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008545.jpg

You heard it here first.

Oh, and by the way.

A full TCD report will follow.

So be sure to check back.

TCD

Looking forward to the rest of your trip report TCD! :thumbsup2

Wow TCD that is the scoop of all scoops, you have outdone yourself this time!!! WAY TO GO!

Ok, here is my new plan.... we get 365 of the loyal fort fiends, we all buy you 1 night at the fort each, you live there permanently and report to us every day!!! :worship::worship::worship: All hail TCD!!!

Hey- That is a great plan. I am sure Mrs. TCD would gladly kick in the cost of a few weeks just to get rid of me, so you may be on to something here!

OK, so that makes two nights! We are on our way!

This is the kind of reporting that goes above and beyond what we hired TCD to do. Give that man a raise!

Here, here! :thumbsup2

TCD

I think it's great that they are adding sites...but looking at these photos...it makes me kind of sad that they will be using this area to do so. This is a really pretty area the way it is now. :confused:

Looking forward to the rest of your trip report TCD! :thumbsup2

I agree with you, Sonya.

One of the nice things about the Fort is that there is so much open space.

If this space is being turned into campsites, that is going to take away an nice, open space.

But, I have to hand it to whoever thought of putting some campsites here. It is pretty ingenious, and won't require a whole lot of site work. I bet that they add these sites when they update the 600 loop sites to premium sites.

If these are going to be campsites, I hope these folks like the campfire program, because they will sure hear it every night.

TCD

Yea, while I don't exactly like that we're losing that nice open area, it is rather interesting the location they are looking at, it really is a perfect fit. Probably would have been a lot more expansion if not for the economy, I'm sure they're scaling back a bit.

TCD, good to be posting in your thread ;)

We were there over Christmas Week and were quite taken with the improvements already made. One thing I was wondering about is why they moved the golf carts. Then I saw this thread and the surveyors and got an idea of my own. No more "bike barn"? Expand the new pool area to encompass the old barn. I had heard about hot tubs coming. It also makes sense to expand the camping loops too. One of my ideas from long ago was to use the group camp area in a better way. It seems like it is rarely used and the number of tent campers in 2000 also seemed very light. So turn them all into preferred full hook up sights too. They already have nice newly renovated comfort stations. Makes sense to me.

I am glad to hear the possibility of new loops! It will make getting extra days easier! Thanks for the report as usual!

I kind of started this trip report in the middle, so let me take you back to the beginning of this trip.

We have never been to the Fort during our kids' Christmas break from school. We have Florida Residents' Seasonal Passes, and they are blacked out during Christmas week, and the week after.

But, this year, we didn't have any plans after Christmas, and the weather was so nice, that it occurred to me that it might be fun to visit the Fort for New Year's Eve. So, on the day after Christmas, I tried getting a site, both on-line and by calling. Nothing. And, the new phone system is more annoying than the last. Now, instead of punching numbers in, you have to respond to about a half-dozen voice commands before being able to speak to a person.

Any way, I kept trying.

On December 29, I was able to score a site for a 12/31 arrival, for three nights. Score! But, the only sites they had available were partial hook ups. I don't like these loops so much. But, I do have a pop-up, and I am eligible to stay in these loops, so I took it.

My next call is to the Bike Barn. I would like to reserve a golf cart please. The castmember tells me in my dreams. I ask to be put on the waiting list for 12/31. I can reserve a cart for two nights with a 1/1 pick up, so I take that, and go on the waiting list for 12/31.

We arrived at WDW at about 12:30 on 12/31. There were signs as we drove to the MK entrance that said that the Magic Kingdom was full, and they were directing people to Epcot.

Here is the toll plaza as we arrived. Busier than I am used to:

ThanksgivingFW2008298.jpg

I don't recall seeing that snow mouse before.

Anyway, we get to the Fort, and find that there is no line for check-ins. We go right to our check in window.

I ask the castmember if there is any chance of an upgrade. He says he will check. He says no, they are full, so I can have a site on the 2000 loop only. I take it.

Ironically, we are assigned to site #2009. A pretty good site for NYE, no?

I send the girls off for lunch, and I set up the site. Here we are:

ThanksgivingFW2008299.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008300.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008301.jpg

You know what?

I liked my site.

I put the camper all the way back. Behind us, we had a canal, and then the cabins over in the 2100 loop. The sites are spaced far apart. And, we now have cable!

I don't like to be in the dirt, especially when it rains. But, we had no rain at all during this trip, so it wasn't a problem.

Want to see one of my Christmas presents?

This is from a company called Treehuggerz. It straps onto a tree, and gives you a bunch of handy hooks to hang things on:

ThanksgivingFW2008302.jpg

I endorse it.

Here is another of my Christmas gifts. Mrs. TCD bought this bowl for me on our last trip when I wasn't looking. I got it on Christmas morning:

ThanksgivingFW2008303.jpg

Here are a couple more shots of our camper in our site:

ThanksgivingFW2008304.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008305.jpg

I never did get a call about the golf cart, so we are limited to our bikes for transportation on the last night of the year. I did bike around a bit, and saw these great decorations on the 800 loop. I later found out that these belonged to DisBoard member TiggerinBama. Well done:

ThanksgivingFW2008306.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008307.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008308.jpg

You see how they have a whole Santa room set up in their screen room? Great show!!!

It got dark pretty early:

ThanksgivingFW2008309.jpg

We knew that the restaurants would be busy, so we planned to cook out at the site. Then maybe go to the beach to watch the fireworks. As the girls started watching the New Year's Eve show on ABC, they did not want to leave. They like Taylor Swift, and the Jonas Brothers, and did not want to miss them. So, we are going to watch the ball drop from site 2009.

Here is one of the DD's Christmas presents. A remote control skunk! Perfect for camping.

That is a Smokin' Oken doll riding on the skunk.

You had to be there:

ThanksgivingFW2008311.jpg

We passed the time on the hammock-

ThanksgivingFW2008312.jpg

And enjoyed this celestial display. That is the moon and a planet. Maybe Venus? Not sure:

ThanksgivingFW2008314.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008315.jpg

Here we are, chilling at the site.

ThanksgivingFW2008316.jpg

The weather was amazing.

In NYC, it was below freezing.

At site 2009, it was in the low 60's, upper 50's.

Here comes 2009:

ThanksgivingFW2008317.jpg

TCD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter