Tastings. What Did You Like/Dislike?

soniam

Wooden leg named Smith...
For the tastings and Mixology, what have you tried? What did you like/dislike?

For us, we love Mixology.

We did the cognac tasting last time. Didn't really like it, but I have discovered, unless it's the most expensive bottle they have on the ship, then it's not my thing:rotfl2:I believe we did taste one of the most expensive they have. The information was very interesting though.

We also did the chocolate and liquor tasting. We love chocolate, and they give you very high quality samples. I can't remember all of the liquors. I know there was a port, a pretty good one at that, which we love. I think there was red and white wine and probably champagne. I can't remember if there was an actual liquor though. There was also whiskey, which was very interesting with the chocolate.

We are thinking of trying the Tequila & Margarita, Mojito & Caipirinha, or the Martini, in addition to Mixology. Rum might be interesting, but only if they are unique and/or long aged rums.

Mojito and caipirinha is interesting because the rum they use for Mojitos is different than the rum used for caipirinhas. But I would not describe the rums as high-end. I think they were all Bacardi brands. Tequila and margarita is also interesting, but I think what they used was all 1800 and patron. The ships do carry Casamigos which is my favorite tequila, but they don’t serve it at the tastings.

Mojito and caipirinha is interesting because the rum they use for Mojitos is different than the rum used for caipirinhas. But I would not describe the rums as high-end. I think they were all Bacardi brands. Tequila and margarita is also interesting, but I think what they used was all 1800 and patron. The ships do carry Casamigos which is my favorite tequila, but they don’t serve it at the tastings.

I didn't figure they used very high quality rums for mixed drinks. Seems a bit of a waste. I was more thinking for the actual rum tasting. Usually caipirinhas are made with cachaca, which is a sort of Brazilian rum. It's much more high test than normal rum due to the aging process. Less sweet too. At least they aren't using Jose Cuervo for the tequila. Thanks for the info.

My ranking of the tastings I have attended (some once, others several times):

9. Beer-This is really the only tasting I would avoid. Speaking as a beer snob, there really isn't any beer on the ship that is better than mediocre, and drinking beers I got bored with 20 years ago is not my thing.

8. Whiskey-This one is usually held at 10:30 in the coffee shop, and you definitely need to like liquor if you are going. It is all glasses of straight whiskey. I happen to like whiskey/whisky and it's a reasonable priced and usually low key but friendly crowd. The pours are nothing special, usually an Irish, a Canadian, a bourbon, a blended scotch, and a single malt.

7. Cognac-Another late night, straight liquor offering. The problem is that the ship's Cognac selection is all from the mass market producers and I think this is the least variable tasting on the ship. You are going to get Hennessy VS, Remy Martin VSOP, usually Courvoisier VSOP, and an XO. Bonus points because one bartender used Hennessy XO as the last pour, and another let us all taste (as in, drops) the Remy Martin Louis XIII.

6. Rum/mojito tasting-Now getting into the range where the bartenders have some individual variability in what they serve, not my favorite as they usually offer straight white rum and/or cachaca among the options, which just isn't that pleasant to drink. No premium rums that I recall.

5. Mixology-A different experience every time and a favorite of many. Usually too many fruity/sweet/dessert cocktails for my personal preference, but always worth trying.

4. Tequila/margarita tasting-I have had quite different experiences at this one, some featuring more straight tequila and others concentrating on margaritas. Variability is always good. Bonus points because I like tequila but don't drink it that often.

3. Martini tasting-The only tasting I left walking on a slant. Unfortunately, for informative purposes something close to the original martini (a lousy cocktail with way too much vermouth) is usually served, but you will always get a nice dirty martini, usually a chocolate martini and 1-2 other fruity things.

2. Wine (many variants, e.g., New World, Old World, premium)-usually an experienced bartender who knows something about wine, and essentially a new experience every time.

1. Premium whiskey-Did this one last cruise. The first two offerings were uninspiring (Woodford Reserve and some Crown Royal 'premium' product), but the last two were Johnnie Walker Blue and Glenmorangie Signet, so this wins easily.

Not yet tried: Champagne (July 2019!), chocolate and liquor (we have a type I diabetic in our usual group, so tend to avoid candy)

I like the mixology because it is always fun and usually involves "audience participation". I just did the tequila and margarita on the last cruise - I had done this a couple times before - I like margaritas so I enjoyed it but I can't really do shots so I gave mine away. Once I did the Italian liquor (I think that what it is called) and most of the liquor was kind of gross. I did the mojito & capirinhana (or however you spell it!). I really enjoyed that because I loved all the muddled fruit.
But my 2 favorites are the champagne - because I love champagne and it was like a really cool history lesson - and the chocolate and liquor. That is my favorite!!! The setup is so beautiful! But I don't like scotch and that is one of the drinks.

I did the Wine Tasting on the Wonder in February and had a private class! No one else signed up, but the Palo sommelier who hosted it said that we could still do it. It was a lot of fun!!

We did the rum tasting and for me it was among the worst tasting class I've done (and we've done most - including tequila which I am not a big fan). The rum tasting is typically a late night tasting and is all shots of different rums - no mixers offered, no slices of lime to pair, nothing but the shots. Started with a straight shot of Bacardi and it's not really something I want to be tasting straight. Can't remember where we went from there but knew by shot # 3 that I was wishing I had stopped at the drink station for a big cup of coke to mix with what was being served. I don't know if they usually end with a shot of Rumchata or if the leader was taking some sympathy on me but it was the only one I could drink.

Mixology is always fun and there's always enough variety so you will probably love a few drinks.

I've found the Martini class to be very similar to mixology... as in the last 2-4 drinks could interchange in either class. Martini class usually has more "history" and learning to it.

Our all time favorite class was the Mojito class taken on the bar on Castaway Cay.

We did the rum tasting and for me it was among the worst tasting class I've done (and we've done most - including tequila which I am not a big fan). The rum tasting is typically a late night tasting and is all shots of different rums - no mixers offered, no slices of lime to pair, nothing but the shots. Started with a straight shot of Bacardi and it's not really something I want to be tasting straight. Can't remember where we went from there but knew by shot # 3 that I was wishing I had stopped at the drink station for a big cup of coke to mix with what was being served. I don't know if they usually end with a shot of Rumchata or if the leader was taking some sympathy on me but it was the only one I could drink.
We loved the Rum tasting. They are very high quality rums. We did not have a Bacardi. They are supposed to be sipped. We really enjoyed and it was very informational. These were not rums you would want to mix with things. We ended ours with a Yellow Bird.

Our favorites were the Rum tasting, the Chocolate/Liquor (although there is really no liquor it is more wine/port), and the Tequila.

I've only done the Mojito and Caipirinha tasting on the Magic, August 2018. It was so much fun! The glasses had the sweetener/lime/mint already in the glass--they had us muddle it, taste the alcohol in the shot glass (and guess what it was), add that to the drink, add ice and club soda (if the drink needed it.) We made 5 different drinks. For the alcohols, we had Bacardi Limon, Bacardi Silver, Cachaca, some type of vodka, and some type of bourbon...lets just say I was paying less attention the more I drank...

5aIMG_20180810_140950.jpg 5aIMG_20180810_142736.jpg 5aIMG_20180810_152007.jpg

Mixology is always fun and there's always enough variety so you will probably love a few drinks.

I've found the Martini class to be very similar to mixology... as in the last 2-4 drinks could interchange in either class. Martini class usually has more "history" and learning to it.

Our all time favorite class was the Mojito class taken on the bar on Castaway Cay.
Not OP but wanted to ask... How do you book something at castaway cay? I have a mojito tasting booked while we’re at castaway cay, would be cool if it were on the island instead of the ship. :)

And @soniam thanks for the thread!! I’m following as it’s my first time. I’m booked for tequila mojito and the chocolate & liqueur one right now, need to cancel at least one! Lol! My husband won’t appreciate me doing too much especially since I’m going on my own hahaha

Not OP but wanted to ask... How do you book something at castaway cay? I have a mojito tasting booked while we’re at castaway cay, would be cool if it were on the island instead of the ship. :)

If your mojito tasting is on the CC day then it is very likely on the island.

I did the mojito/caipirinha tasting for the first time on my last cruise and really enjoyed it. They used Bacardi Limon and Barcardi Silver for rum and I can't remember the brand of cachaca. The last drink was a mint julip made with Maker's Mark.

I've done the wine tasting 3 times now and have always found it very informative, but not as fun as mixology. I've done mixology 5 times and always enjoyed it.

And @soniam thanks for the thread!! I’m following as it’s my first time. I’m booked for tequila mojito and the chocolate & liqueur one right now, need to cancel at least one! Lol! My husband won’t appreciate me doing too much especially since I’m going on my own hahaha

I agree with Maggie's Mom, tastings on Castaway day prior to 3pm are likely to be on the island.

I've done the Champagne tasting and Margarita/ Tequila tasting...both on the Fantasy. It was great to learn and try new/ different options than what I am used to. Really enjoyed both. My husband has done the beer and the rum. He enjoyed both as well.

I’m in the minority here, but mixology was my least favorite. I think because the bartender seemed to like the sound of his own voice and spoke way too long when we should have been mixing. My favorite was the chocolate liqueur tasting. That was a lot of fun and had a lot of variety to it. I’ve also enjoyed the martini class (twice) and I am set to do the tequila and margarita tasting on the EBTA this May. I hear you walk out of there sideways for that one!

I've done the Mixology and Martini tastings. I love the Mixology ones and keep doing those. I did not like the Martini one. I love martinis, its my drink of choice. But I learned I really only like the newer types and they did half new and half the old originals like what James Bond drinks and I did not like those at all. Most of the drinks went untouched and I felt it was a waste of money.

I’ve stopped doing beer tastings. The beers available on the ships are pretty average, but I can live with that. However, the presentations have generally been poor. On the last one I did on the Fantasy, I suspect everyone attending knew more about beer than the presenter.

Wine tastings are usually interesting, and I think my wine drinking experience has improved as a result of attending these (just about every cruise now). I can now distinguish most of the wines they pour tasting them blind, primarily as a result of these sessions.

I’ve also enjoyed the chocolate and liquor tasting, the champagne tasting, and the martini tasting.

Mixology was a disappointment. This was on the Magic, and all drinks were premixed and we were not even given mixing instructions in printed form, so I would not be able to mix one myself without a bartenders guide. We did do the final layered drink ourselves, but no other hands-on experience.

Wow that is completely different experience than we had. We didn't have any Bacardi, we did have Flor de Cana which is our favorite as well as one from Honduras, and we tried each rum straight first and then with a mixer (one mixer was ginger beer) to compare the differences, and had access to lime slices. It was a late tasting but we really enjoyed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!