Taking kids out of school for vacation

We pulled our oldest from kindergarten for a week a couple years ago. There were plenty of kids on the ship in the middle of January, so its safe to assume they are missing school. Her teacher was really excited for us and provided the work she would miss and a vacation journal to complete on our trip. We just booked a cruise for January 2021 and will pull our kids from school (K and 3rd grade). We were planning on a spring break cruise but those were blacked out from using our placeholder discount and were more than $3000 more expensive.

I see I’m in the minority here and would not do that. When I was in school I missed a total of 2 days from 1st-12th grade. I have always felt attendance was important, teaches a good work ethic and reliability. My daughter is in 2nd grade now and hasn’t missed a day of school yet. There is plenty of time for family vacations throughout the year. This year we have done trips to WDW (Presidents’ Day weekend she had off 5 days), Cedar Point start of summer, Legoland Fl end of summer, and will spend New Years at Disneyland. We have our next Disney cruise scheduled for the day after school ends in June. It can be a pain scheduling around school, but we manage to do it.

I have taken my daughter out of school for about a week every year of K-7 so far. I am also a teacher. We both just took 8 days off to go on the WBTA cruise. It has not affected her academics in a negative way. She has a college reading level. She has never truly enjoyed math, but keeps As or Bs in the subject. Math was always one of my best subjects, so I am able to help her keep up with it while we are gone anyway. Most of her teachers and administrators have been very supportive of her going. She was able to use the knowledge she gained from visiting Pompeii last year for her History Day project and is using information learned from the Titanic experience in Cobh, Ireland this year for this year's History Day project. Going out and experiencing history has definitely made these projects more meaningful to her. We were at our local living history ranch today and she made a comment about something that I bet almost no other kids her age know because it was something unique that she learned on one of our cruises. I do agree that once she is in high school, we probably won't be able to continue though. We will see when the time comes in 2 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter