Tables in Wonderland Question...

Brian152

Earning My Ears
I'm hoping someone can offer some advice for me regarding the Tables in Wonderland Card. We are going in June for 7 of us, my wife and I and our 2 youngest and then my oldest daughter, her husband and 4 year old. My wife and I are DVC members and going again over New Years so we are getting the TIW card. My oldest will be paying for the 3 of them separately but I would still like to figure out a way for them to be able to get the discounts when we eat/drink.... The problem is the last time we did that with them I just paid it all and kept track of their portions but of course she is a pain and had different numbers and issues came up when it was time to pay up so we will not be doing that again. Does anyone have any suggestions for them to be able to get the discount without having to just pay me back later?

Thanks!

TiW, officially, doesn't allow for multiple checks on one meal. It states all of the limitations on the website. It will be hit and miss where the server will separate them and allow the discount to be used on all, though I've heard of it happening on these boards.

One option is to get one for your wife at $50 more and have her use a gift card that your daughter has purchased, after letting the server know how to separate the orders. Might be worth it, in your case.

Per the rules on the TiW website, the discount applies to one check and the TiW holder has to pay. You can ask for separate checks and ask that the discount be applied to both, but quite likely at many restaurants it will not be allowed.

As the PP suggested, the only way to ensure separate checks every time is to have two TiW cards. The least expensive would be for your spouse to purchase the second card at $50. Otherwise your daughter could purchase an AP and then the TiW for herself (expensive) or DVC (even more expensive) or pay out of pocket for her family (on a separate check).

Be sure that she understands how the discount is calculated:
-total cost of food and beverages inc alcohol (e.g. $100.00)
-18% gratuity is calculated on the above amount ( 18% of $100 is $18.00)
-20% discount is calculated on the total cost of $100.00 ($20.00 discount so bill is now $80.00)
-tax is calculated on the discounted amount (6.5% on $80.00 is $5.20)
-add discounted total, tax and gratuity together ($80.00 + $5.20 + $18.00 = $103.20)

What confuses some is the gratuity is calculated on the full amount, but tax is only on the discounted amount.

The easiest option is likely cash or gift cards.

My family has done this before - as I have TIW and my aunt and uncle who live part of the year in Florida occasionally join us for meals. We get one bill and they toss in their share in cash, so we hand the waiter one folio. (Or I keep the cash and put the whole balance on my card.) I would actually love to pay for their meals, at least once in a while, but they're insistent. Of course, this works because they carry cash, and I know lots of people who prefer to use credit for convenience/points/etc.

Last fall when we went with another couple, we used the TIW card. I paid for all the meals with our credit card (per their rules), then we divided up the costs for the meals at the end of the trip. Everyone was happy and we saved so much we could have paid for 3 cards easily. The TIW discount basically covered the tip for us. The card gives you a 20% discount and they add an 18% tip to the meal.

I would agree w/ the above with having your other party either pay cash or with gift cards so that you can combine the tender and get the discount.

Unfortunately TIW doesn't work for us anymore since the price went up. We barely broke the$750-$800 break even point last year. *sigh. Oh well, we take what we can get right? Enjoy.

I live in Disney and have lots of family/friends visit. They all know I have TIW and bring cash or paypal me right away. Whatever is easier for them. And i think last year I did have a friend who had a lot of gift cards so we used that. Most people are happy to have the discount. It sounds like there may be other issues going on(maybe not). I would be upfront. Be like-I would love for you to be able to partake in the discount-I will need cash/gift card when I am paying the waiter. If you'd rather pay with your card then we can split the check, but you won't be able to use the TIW.

Once a year there's a huge group of us-I am upfront that I need cash because I don't want to be putting a 1000 dollars on my card and then waiting for people to paypal me (when it's close family/friends not a big deal). But this way I tell the waiter what's being paid with cash and to put the rest on my card.

I live in Disney and have lots of family/friends visit. They all know I have TIW and bring cash or paypal me right away. Whatever is easier for them. And i think last year I did have a friend who had a lot of gift cards so we used that. Most people are happy to have the discount. It sounds like there may be other issues going on(maybe not). I would be upfront. Be like-I would love for you to be able to partake in the discount-I will need cash/gift card when I am paying the waiter. If you'd rather pay with your card then we can split the check, but you won't be able to use the TIW.

Once a year there's a huge group of us-I am upfront that I need cash because I don't want to be putting a 1000 dollars on my card and then waiting for people to paypal me (when it's close family/friends not a big deal). But this way I tell the waiter what's being paid with cash and to put the rest on my card.
If the waiter sees cash changing hands, they are supposed to disallow the discount. I wouldn't attempt to pay partially with cash, since that would make it pretty obvious that you're violating the terms of the discount.

I was thinking about getting the TiW for an upcoming trip because I am also planning on getting APs for the first time ever (SCORE!), but after I saw that 18% gratuity is slapped on automatically, I wouldn't find this to be much of a discount. I mean, if its $15-20, yeah ... 18% is sorta normal. I'm not usually handing out 18% on $50-100+ though.

I'm ok with being called cheap. :)

I was thinking about getting the TiW for an upcoming trip because I am also planning on getting APs for the first time ever (SCORE!), but after I saw that 18% gratuity is slapped on automatically, I wouldn't find this to be much of a discount. I mean, if its $15-20, yeah ... 18% is sorta normal. I'm not usually handing out 18% on $50-100+ though.

OK You said it. 18% is pretty standard these days.
If you are not ok with that than the TIW card is not for you

You have to do your own math. Figure out how much you'd normally tip. You need to spend at least $750 to break even; maybe more when comparing the AP discount options. Maybe that break-even is $1,000 or $1,500 based on the way you'd normally tip. I'll only call you cheap if you buy a TiW card because it ultimately saves you money. And it'd be a compliment.

You have to do your own math. Figure out how much you'd normally tip. You need to spend at least $750 to break even; maybe more when comparing the AP discount options. Maybe that break-even is $1,000 or $1,500 based on the way you'd normally tip. I'll only call you cheap if you buy a TiW card because it ultimately saves you money. And it'd be a compliment.

Well, from the math I see above (which all looks correct), getting 20% off the price, then adding tax and 18% gratuity, it will always be more than the cost of the original meal without tax.

If you leave tax out of the equation (it's a necessary evil), you would get a 2% discount at best. Are the food courts at the values counter-service? I'm guessing the only place this would be a real break is where tipping in unnecessary.

It's not that I don't want to tip, but when the huge discount that you're offered is tempered by an almost equal mandatory fee, it doesn't feel like a discount.

Well, from the math I see above (which all looks correct), getting 20% off the price, then adding tax and 18% gratuity, it will always be more than the cost of the original meal without tax.

If you leave tax out of the equation (it's a necessary evil), you would get a 2% discount at best. Are the food courts at the values counter-service? I'm guessing the only place this would be a real break is where tipping in unnecessary.

It's not that I don't want to tip, but when the huge discount that you're offered is tempered by an almost equal mandatory fee, it doesn't feel like a discount.

You aren't understanding the discount. Assume a $100 dinner bill (ignore tax for the minute) and a 15% tip (without TIW) or an 18% tip (mandatory with TIW). Without TIW, your meal costs $115. With TIW, it costs $98. So, you are saving $17 on that one meal with TIW, not just 2%. The less you normally tip, the less the savings is, but if you are tipping less than 15%, there are completely different issues in play.

An example if I were using TiW. Tax is always added, so I don't see the point in figuring a total without it.

Meal is $100
Discount reduces it to $80
Tax adds 5.20 (using 6.5%)
Auto tip is $18

$103.20 total

without TiW
$100
$6.50 tax
$18 tip (if using at 18% instead of 20% average in my experience)

$124.50 total

Savings of $21.30. I'd pick up ALL the twenties I found on the ground so, I'm happy with it! :p

Okay, so think of it this way: if you didn't have the TiW discount, how much would you tip? That's you're savings right there. If you'd tip more than $150 over the course of your trip, then the TiW just saved you all that money.

You can't say the discount is zero just because it forces you to tip. You'd be tipping something regardless. You can't ignore that in your calculation.

It's not that I don't want to tip, but when the huge discount that you're offered is tempered by an almost daily equal mandatory fee, it doesn't feel like a discount.

It seems like it doesn't work for you and your way of thinking . That is fine. Don't do it.

You aren't understanding the discount. Assume a $100 dinner bill (ignore tax for the minute) and a 15% tip (without TIW) or an 18% tip (mandatory with TIW). Without TIW, your meal costs $115. With TIW, it costs $98. So, you are saving $17 on that one meal with TIW, not just 2%. The less you normally tip, the less the savings is, but if you are tipping less than 15%, there are completely different issues in play.

I agree.

If the waiter sees cash changing hands, they are supposed to disallow the discount. I wouldn't attempt to pay partially with cash, since that would make it pretty obvious that you're violating the terms of the discount.

We've had a TiW card a few times over the years. My question is, if you have invited guests to Disney, used your DVC points to get them a room (or they are IN your room), and on your dining reservation, then why is it so bad to be able to have their meals discounted as well?

I'm truly not trying to start an argument, I'm just curious. We usually go 2-3 times per year (although we're moving to FL - woo). We've had my parents come for one of the trips. I would have never thought to have the buy there own card.

I honestly don't remember HOW we've paid for every meal using TiW, but I'm sure we didn't treat everyone we've been there with - LOL. I do know my dad used a cc for our Chef Mickey's dinner and there wasn't a problem.

Along the same lines, we're going in November with another family and I'm planning on purchasing the card. Even if they don't see cash being exchanged or we don't ask to split the check, I'm sure they know we're not all living in the same household.

TiW is for the cardholder and their guests. They are paying for the ability to use a discount, a guest of the holder isn't. Now, how it's treated by the individual restaurants and servers will vary. I think it's just about not assuming that non-cardholders would be granted the same perks as someone who has paid the fee. Similar to using an AP for dining discounts and your party is 5 instead of the 4, which is in the agreement. A lot of places won't want to deal with running a separate tab for the kid's meal for that family of 5 ;)

I feel that insisting on work-arounds for policies, that are already forgiving, is just asking for the program to be discontinued or the utility of it to be reduced. TiW and AP are already heading into that territory with the price increases.

Tax actually is important, because tax is figured on the *discounted* amount. Tip is on non-discounted but tax is a bit lower.

The counter service places are a nice way to relax away from the top stuff. Value food courts, SSR's artists palette, and QS at AK park.

If your service is so bad that you don't want to do the tip, hopefully you'll have already spoke to the server and/or manager about it.

why is it so bad to be able to have their meals discounted as well?

Their meals are discounted. But you're supposed to pay for them. It's a discount for you.

So have them pay you later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter