Table Service Restaurants for 1st Timers

For first timers I'd always recommend some of the more themed Disney restaurants.

You can go to places like Boathouse, Citrico's, Steakhouse 71 etc, anywhere.

I'd pick 50's Prime Time, Sci Fi, Liberty Tree, even though I'm not a buffet fan Biergarten is an experience, San Angel, Brown Derby.

I’ll politely disagree with this part of your post.
My traveling children regularly ate at signatures and enjoyed it without ever consuming a chicken nugget.
I believe if children are introduced to adult food immediately after “toddlerhood”, life becomes easier for the family as a whole.
As for the cost, as a whole food adherent, I think you pay one way or the other- inexpensive highly processed food now, higher medical costs later.
Who said anything about chicken nuggets? Although they are very popular with CL adult patrons, from what I understand.

They will pay the kids price and the servers will bring kids' choices but that doesn't limit what they can eat. I was looking towards fun Disney dining vs more sedate choices. We are talking about first time visitors to Disney. We are not talking about a foodie tour for kids.

My children have also typically preferred adult choices but that doesn't mean they didn't like characters and HDDR type entertainment. They are grown now and also enjoy cooking many different types of food on their own but they do still enjoy chicken nuggets, as do I.

ps your post doesn't really sound polite but it does sound pretentious :wizard: Really, my post inspired you to bring up future medical cost implications and eating cheap food? You baffle me.

Last edited:
ps your post doesn't really sound polite but it does sound pretentious :wizard: Really, my post inspired you to bring up future medical cost implications and eating cheap food? You baffle me.
It’s apparent you’ve strong feelings on the topic and are easily offended.
Nothing to be baffled about by me; I don’t know you. 🌼 backatchoo.

What’s “wrong” with homecoming? I see it recommended all the time and have thought to try it. Admittedly I wouldn’t know good southern cooking if it bit me in the….
I think it’s a great place for a boozy brunch or appetizers at the bar!
Convivial, right amount of buzz to hear your conversation and bright surroundings.

I would not consider it for dinner unfortunately as the main courses don’t bring Southern home cooking to my mind. I guess I went there looking for a smouldering ember of what was only to find something else.

What’s “wrong” with homecoming? I see it recommended all the time and have thought to try it. Admittedly I wouldn’t know good southern cooking if it bit me in the….
Then you'll love it! It's overpriced Cracker Barrel food, served with (paper) dishtowel napkins to try to justify the price, overseen by an absentee "celebrity" chef.

Then you'll love it! It's overpriced Cracker Barrel food, served with (paper) dishtowel napkins to try to justify the price, overseen by an absentee "celebrity" chef.
Oh, that's worse than I thought. I figured it was like Paula Dean level which even that is underwhelming for those of us who grew up in the south eating Grandma's Sunday dinner at the farmhouse. We've never tried Homecomin because we can eat the real stuff at home, so looking for something different on vacation.

If anyone is ever in Nashville and wants to try southern food, I do recommend Loveless Cafe. My mother used to eat there as a child 50+ years ago before it ever became famous.

I didn’t realize A. Smith wasn’t on premises. Yanno, if you train your sous chef right that can happen but wellll, no
Oh, that's worse than I thought. I figured it was like Paula Dean level which even that is underwhelming for those of us who grew up in the south eating Grandma's Sunday dinner at the farmhouse.
I really dislike Paula Dean. Her dishonesty is mind boggling and her food was not to my liking. Way too much sugar and butter; nobody ate like that everyday.

I didn’t realize A. Smith wasn’t on premises. Yanno, if you train your sous chef right that can happen but wellll, no

I really dislike Paula Dean. Her dishonesty is mind boggling and her food was not to my liking. Way too much sugar and butter; nobody ate like that everyday.
Actually the south does eat like that with probably more butter and sugar than she uses. But I agree her food is overrated.

If anyone is ever in Nashville and wants to try southern food, I do recommend Loveless Cafe. My mother used to eat there as a child 50+ years ago before it ever became famous.
I've been to Loveless many times, and it's the real deal. Homecomin' ain't.

Actually the south does eat like that with probably more butter and sugar than she uses. But I agree her food is overrated.
Makes sense when you look at current trends but wasn’t the norm when I was growing up; Lord, I’m beginning to sound old 😆

Having lived in multiple southern states, I’ve had much better food than Homecoming. But it’s waaaay better than Cracker Barrel. Think that’s ridiculous.

I agree with the poster that said if it’s their first trip, then I’d go Super Disney themed. I do think it depends how much time you’d like to spend. We really enjoy signature restaurants and are okay with sitting for them.

AK: Husker is fun, prefer Tiffin’s. Satu’li is good if you want quick. If you’re willing to go to AKL, Jiko is one of my favorite on property.

HS: It’s cliche but Hollywood Brown Derby is a classic. Sci-Fi is fun and Disney though.

Epcot: Lots of different ways to go, but we enjoy eating in the pyramid in Mexico. The fine dining is good, and the food booths during FW are good.

MK: People crap on BOG, but the food is very solid and it’s very Disney. We enjoy.

Topolino’s is my favorite on property (where you said you booked). Flying Fish is great, Steakhouse 71 was enjoyable, and I’ll throw another plug for Jiko.

Our family's favorites specific to Disney (maybe not the best food ever but a great overall experience that all of us- including three kids of varying ages- enjoy the most)-
-Sci Fi Dine In (food is fine but the experience is cool, it's an oasis in the concrete desert)
-Via Napoli
-Garden Grill (one kid loves the food, one loves the characters, the third loves going above LwtL)
-Skipper Canteen (good Disney fun with good food as well)

We also liked Sanaa when we stayed at AKL!

Just a note of advice: Just because it is hard to get, doesn't necessarily mean it is good. Some restaurants are hard to get simply because they are hard to get.

Topolino's and Narcoossee's are great!
If you like buffets, Boma is a good breakfast.

I mean, I can imagine that Homecomin' works for some people, but I live in "The South" and I can get way better versions of that kind of food. The same goes for barbecue - I just can't do it! But, you know, if you're not from the area, then I get it. I mean, I might enjoy a bowl of clam chowder, but I doubt anybody who lives in New England would! 🤣 (They might only have that at DLR, but the point is the same.)

I mean, I can imagine that Homecomin' works for some people, but I live in "The South" and I can get way better versions of that kind of food. The same goes for barbecue - I just can't do it! But, you know, if you're not from the area, then I get it. I mean, I might enjoy a bowl of clam chowder, but I doubt anybody who lives in New England would! 🤣 (They might only have that at DLR, but the point is the same.)
I live in Chicagoland, and even I can get way better versions of that kind of food. Even at Cracker Barrel. Art Smith, ironically, had a much better version of Homecomin', Table Fifty-Two, created in those good days between Oprah and Disney Springs; that was a good place. Homecomin', not so much. Now he's an absentee chef and his place in Chicago is at Navy Pier. I must admit, he knows his audience.

Last edited:

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter