T-shirt intimidates airplane passengers

Telling him to wear it inside out would solve what, exactly? If people are nervous that he has some ill intent, hiding the words changes absolutely nothing. Seems ridiculous to me!

It gave him the opportunity to show that he wasn't trying to intimidate anyone. Instead he chose to make snarky comments about the pilot talking off his shirt. Personally, I'd be much more fearful of his behavior at that point! I really don't want to be on an airplane with people who are uncooperative with the flight staff.

For me, this whole thing isn't about what's on the t-shirt. I don't think that even matters really. It reminds me of the whole "hi Jack!" airplane joke. If someone said "hi jack" at an airport and inadvertently frightened someone and got spoken to, I would expect him to explain it was a misunderstanding - not say "tell the pilot I said hi-jack!" It's a situation you can either get out of easily or make a scene about and get yourself in more trouble. Why would you choose getting in more trouble?

As it was, they simply let it drop. He apparently wasn't satisfied and is talking to the press for some more attention. Personally it makes me question his motives for wearing the shirt. If attention is what you're looking for, I guess wearing a shirt with the phrase "prepare to die" on it on an airplane will get you some.

"Question his motives for wearing the shirt?" Wth? Warmth? Because airlines, like disney, frown on nipples?

I can't imagine anyone buying the shirt for any reason other than inigo cracking them up. It is amusing to the people who understand. And really those people could care less whether someone else gets it. But it is inconceivable to me that anyone other than a paranoid nosy person would think it is a threat. And I am around both of those kinds of people on a daily basis.

Now I've hear everything...

I don't think the request to change the shirt was to satisfy the passenger who said something to the FA. I think it was to avoid OTHER passengers potentially saying something.

So, let's play this scenario out.

FA asks him to change a shirt. He says he doesn't have another shirt, is there a male employee on the plane who might have a shirt? Only the pilot, and he's the wrong size.

So FA asks him to turn the shirt inside out. Guy says yes.

Guy then gets up, and walks all the way down the aisle to the restroom. On the way a few people notice his shirt. 3/4 of them laugh but 2 additional people become scared.

Guy walks back from the restroom, more people notice that he's wearing an inside out shirt. They start talking among themselves. "Why is his shirt inside out?" I think because it said "prepare to die". What? "prepare to die".

More people become scared.

How is this an improvement? How did turning the shirt inside out change anything? In addition, the guy's probably feeling kind of humiliated right now. He's going to feel more humiliated when he gets off the plane, greets whoever is meeting him, and has to explain why his shirt is inside out or why there are deodorant stains on the outside of his shirt. Why is his comfort less important than that of the passenger who originally made the request?

"Question his motives for wearing the shirt?" Wth? Warmth? Because airlines, like disney, frown on nipples?

I can't imagine anyone buying the shirt for any reason other than inigo cracking them up. It is amusing to the people who understand. And really those people could care less whether someone else gets it. But it is inconceivable to me that anyone other than a paranoid nosy person would think it is a threat. And I am around both of those kinds of people on a daily basis.

Now I've hear everything...

I'm sure he could have had other motivations. Maybe it was on sale? Or his Great-grandma sent it to him and he's going to visit her.

Mickey'snewestfan said:
I'm sure he could have had other motivations. Maybe it was on sale? Or his Great-grandma sent it to him and he's going to visit her.

True. I was merely flabbergasted at the thought!

I was quite clear - I only question his motives for wearing the shirt on an airplane after his behavior. Had he shrugged it off as funny I wouldn't have thought a thing of it. Turning it into a big incident? Sorry, attention seeking at it's best.

You're so busy poking fun at people who don't share your viewpoint that you're not listening.

So, let's play this scenario out.

FA asks him to change a shirt. He says he doesn't have another shirt, is there a male employee on the plane who might have a shirt? Only the pilot, and he's the wrong size.

So FA asks him to turn the shirt inside out. Guy says yes.

Guy then gets up, and walks all the way down the aisle to the restroom. On the way a few people notice his shirt. 3/4 of them laugh but 2 additional people become scared.

Guy walks back from the restroom, more people notice that he's wearing an inside out shirt. They start talking among themselves. "Why is his shirt inside out?" I think because it said "prepare to die". What? "prepare to die".

More people become scared.

How is this an improvement? How did turning the shirt inside out change anything? In addition, the guy's probably feeling kind of humiliated right now. He's going to feel more humiliated when he gets off the plane, greets whoever is meeting him, and has to explain why his shirt is inside out or why there are deodorant stains on the outside of his shirt. Why is his comfort less important than that of the passenger who originally made the request?
I never said I agreed with the request. I was simply posing a possible explanation for the request. Here's how I think it should have played out (assuming you have a "worried" passenger, I wouldn't have said anything)...

Passenger: Miss, I noticed a passenger's shirt said "Prepare to die" on it. Should I be worried?
FA: I'll check. <walks to passenger with shirt & reads shirt>
FA: Sir, another passenger has asked about "Prepare to die" written on your shirt.
Passenger: Oh, it's a line from my favorite movie "The Princess Bride".
FA: Oh, OK <walks to first passenger>
FA: Apparently it's a quote from a movie... "The Princess Bride"
Passenger: Oh, I'm not familiar with the movie. Thank you.

I've said before I think the FA went a little overboard in asking him to change shirts. But I don't think the guy made the best decision in choosing that shirt to wear on the plane. Yes, he has every right to, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

I was quite clear - I only question his motives for wearing the shirt on an airplane after his behavior. Had he shrugged it off as funny I wouldn't have thought a thing of it. Turning it into a big incident? Sorry, attention seeking at it's best.

You're so busy poking fun at people who don't share your viewpoint that you're not listening.

Where are you getting that he turned it into a big incident?

Ftr, the original time this happened I find it ridiculous for it to have been a preconceived let me try to scare people choice. NOW, I do know an element that would try it to prove a point at this point.

I wondered if a t-shirt with a bomb on it or even the word "bomb" would be a-OK with our own TSA and well ... apparently not.

A man wearing this t-shirt

[ZOMG - bomb reference]

was asked to remove it, submit to extra screening and board his plane last. Even though he complied with everything he was still taken off the plane and made to stay the night at his expense and fly standby the next day.

Which I am absolutely positive had nothing whatsoever to do with his being any threat to the safety of his fellow passengers or the crew of an aircraft.

THAT incident was solely about TSO's punishing a passenger who had the gall to mock them. Retaliation for being a smart-a** is quite common with the TSA; they will often even admit up front that they punish passengers who talk back. The shirt was specifically designed to mock the TSA's "security theatre" -- I think it is telling that if he was THAT much of a threat, why was he not turned over to law enforcement?

I much prefer earlier in this thread where are posting quotes and sharing clips. We even went into Zoolander. LOL

I much prefer earlier in this thread where are posting quotes and sharing clips. We even went into Zoolander. LOL

:)

Miracle Max: The king's stinking son fired me. Thank you for bringing up such a painful subject. While you're at it, why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?

Valerie (Carol Kane): Liar! Liar! LIAR!!!!
Miracle Max (Billy Crystal): Get back, witch!
Valerie: I'm not a witch, I'm your wife! But after what you just said, I'm not even sure I want to be that anymore!
Miracle Max: You never had it so good!
Valerie: True love! He said true love, Max!
Miracle Max: Don't say another word, Valerie!
Valerie: He's afraid. Ever since Prince Humberdink fired him, his confidence is shattered!
Miracle Max: Why did you say that name? You promised me you would never say that name.
Valerie: What? Humperdink?
Miracle Max: Haaa . . .
Valerie: Humperdink! Humperdink! HUMPERDINK!!
Miracle Max: I'm not listening . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X90qKQAMh8A

Have fun storming the castle!

ClickHandler.ashx

Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia' - but only slightly less well-known is this: 'Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!' Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

That was my fave part :thumbsup2

But I guess there's more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good-looking... :rotfl:

Derek Zoolander: Or are you here to tell me what a bad eugoogoolizer I am?
Matilda: A what?
Derek Zoolander: A eugoogoolizer... one who speaks at funerals.
[Matilda looks at Derek confused]
Derek Zoolander: Or did you think I was too stupid to know what a eugoogooly was?

Valerie (Carol Kane): Liar! Liar! LIAR!!!!
Miracle Max (Billy Crystal): Get back, witch!
Valerie: I'm not a witch, I'm your wife! But after what you just said, I'm not even sure I want to be that anymore!
Miracle Max: You never had it so good!
Valerie: True love! He said true love, Max!
Miracle Max: Don't say another word, Valerie!
Valerie: He's afraid. Ever since Prince Humberdink fired him, his confidence is shattered!
Miracle Max: Why did you say that name? You promised me you would never say that name.
Valerie: What? Humperdink?
Miracle Max: Haaa . . .
Valerie: Humperdink! Humperdink! HUMPERDINK!!
Miracle Max: I'm not listening . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X90qKQAMh8A

Humperdink Humperdink Humperdink. LOL I love scene.

Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia' - but only slightly less well-known is this: 'Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!' Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Count Rugen: Your princess is quite a winning creature. A trifle simple, perhaps. Her appeal is undeniable.
Prince Humperdinck: I know, the people are quite taken with her. It's odd, but when I hired Vizzini to have her murdered on our engagement day, I thought that was clever. But it's going to be so much more moving when I strangle her on our wedding night. Once Guilder is blamed, the nation will truly be outraged - they'll demand we go to war.
Count Rugen: [snickers, then examines a huge tree] Now where is that secret knot? It's impossible to find...
[he finds it and the tree opens to reveal a hidden passage]
Count Rugen: Ah. Are you coming down into the pit? Wesley's got his strength back. I'm starting him on the machine tonight.
Prince Humperdinck: [sincerely] Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped.
Count Rugen: Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, then you haven't got anything.

The Impressive Clergyman: Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday. Mawage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam...
[cut to Westley, Inigo, and Fezzik]
The Impressive Clergyman: And wuv, tru wuv, will fowow you foweva...
[cut to the trio again]
The Impressive Clergyman: So tweasure your wuv.
Prince Humperdinck: Skip to the end.
The Impressive Clergyman: Have you the wing?
[cut to the trio once more]
The Impressive Clergyman: ...and do you,Pwincess Buwwercup...
Prince Humperdinck: Man and wife. Say man and wife.
The Impressive Clergyman: Man an' wife.

Valerie the Wizard's Wife: Think it'll work?
Miracle Max the Wizard: It'll take a miracle.

Their best work. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter