T-Rex Restaurant? Mixed Reviews??

3Miracles

Earning My Ears
Going to Downtown Disney and was having a Hard time Trying to Figure out where to Eat. This is my 1st Trip with my Kids and want to try and Cater to them as much as Possible, but when it comes to Eating, I want to make sure myself and husband have a Good meal because Simply the Kids don't care what they Eat!! I was going to make Reservations at T-Rex but now Getting Mixed Reviews and Don't know what to do now. I hear its Too Loud and Frightening for Some. I heard the Food is Just ok. I like a lot of the Menu choices and the atmosphere looked Really Neat. I do see its a Bit Pricey but nothing out of the Ordinary!
Would this be a Place you would go to Enjoy a Meal or is this something that is Just ok, not too Thrilling???
If you had to Eat at Downtown Disney(Kids in mind) Where would you Go??
Ughh the Decisions!! LOL :crazy2:

My kids enjoyed it, and we thought it was one of the better meals food wise while we were there. I had the rotisserie chicken and DH had the ribs, and we both liked our meals. We are booked again for August.

We go every year, for the kids of course,but we really don't mind. I would definately give it try. We have always had great food, my favorites are Mammouth Ravioli, Foot Prints Flat bread, their ribs and filet.

We went last summer for dinner. My DS (then 10) loved it. My husband and I hated it. It was incredibly noisy and I couldn't wait to leave. The food wasn't great, either. We went once for our son, but we won't go back.

I'd say, do it once for your kids!

We have been twice and have enjoyed it both times.... The atmosphere is great, food is great to me, kids enjoy looking around... I think you would enjoy it!

We like it - don't love it but we go almost every trip. My DD swears their lasagne is the best she's ever had and my DS just loves the theming. The food has always been OK when we've been. It's not haute cuisine but what do you expect from a restaurant themed on dinosaurs?

My one criticism would be that it's very hard to hold any kind of a conversation as it's really noisy - but, again, we know what to expect and it doesn't deter us.

How old are the children? Would any of them dislike a loud, crowded place? Are they into dinosaurs or are they just indifferent about prehistoric animals?

We also love it....my kids enjoy the atmosphere and I thought the meal was pretty good...must do for us since we don't have anything like that in the area we live..

We went once when the kids were 7 and 5. I can't overstate how loud and chaotic it was inside. The kids liked looking around for a few minutes but it was so overstimulating, that on top of an already crazy day at Disney it was absolutely the last thing we needed. The food was ok - just ok. When we went back in December we took the kids (now 9 and 6) to Raglan Road instead and had a much better experience, both in food and atmosphere. Plus, it was way easier to get the kids past their gift shop than it was to get them past the "Build-a-Dino" at T-Rex.

It is on the loud side if you have young children (abit like Rainforest Cafe) however it didnt bother my children but the food was fabulous - i had the salmon and my husband had the steak and they were both to die for - my 6 children had an array of different things and cleaned their plates! Very impressed!

We went on our Christmas trip. The food was good.....not outstanding, but perfectly palatable and served in hearty portion sizes. Prices were elevated but not outrageous for a themed dining venue. Decor was second to none, and larger than life.

But it was ridiculously loud. And the lighting can be difficult for some (particularly the colour changing ice cave). While I was super impressed with the restaurant theming, it was not long before all those lights and noise had me firmly in the throws of a migraine.

If you think your kids can handle the harsh atmosphere, then go for it. If that's a concern, then you would be best off with another restaurant choice.

We loved it. My son (5) really enjoyed it and the food was very good, but very expensive in my opinion . For the three of us and I had one mixed drink I think the bill was 75 or 80 for lunch. It was worth it but I think it is pricey. We also love raglan road and the price was less , my kids liked it too. Raglan is more relaxed and quite.

Going to Downtown Disney and was having a Hard time Trying to Figure out where to Eat. This is my 1st Trip with my Kids and want to try and Cater to them as much as Possible, but when it comes to Eating, I want to make sure myself and husband have a Good meal because Simply the Kids don't care what they Eat!! I was going to make Reservations at T-Rex but now Getting Mixed Reviews and Don't know what to do now. I hear its Too Loud and Frightening for Some. I heard the Food is Just ok. I like a lot of the Menu choices and the atmosphere looked Really Neat. I do see its a Bit Pricey but nothing out of the Ordinary!
Would this be a Place you would go to Enjoy a Meal or is this something that is Just ok, not too Thrilling???
If you had to Eat at Downtown Disney(Kids in mind) Where would you Go??
Ughh the Decisions!! LOL :crazy2:

T-Rex & Rainforest were our best meals last visit...and we are picky ;)

We went once when the kids were 7 and 5. I can't overstate how loud and chaotic it was inside. The kids liked looking around for a few minutes but it was so overstimulating, that on top of an already crazy day at Disney it was absolutely the last thing we needed. The food was ok - just ok. When we went back in December we took the kids (now 9 and 6) to Raglan Road instead and had a much better experience, both in food and atmosphere. Plus, it was way easier to get the kids past their gift shop than it was to get them past the "Build-a-Dino" at T-Rex.

I'm happy to hear this! Our DTD reservation for our upcoming trip is at Raglan Road. DS11 would like to return to T-Rex, but DH and I just can't do it -- too loud to have a conversation and mediocre food. :(

the rainforest cafe and t-rex are owned by the same people, the landry resturant group, and it is basically the same resturant, if you have kids and they were scared at rainforest, skip it, if not try it once

We just got back from Disney - ate at Rainforest Cafe only because I had a $25 GC for birthday that I wanted to use. We like the food ok but not all the noise.

Went to T-Rex *once* and that was one time too many. What we ordered was not very good (maybe bad night :confused3) but no matter, the lighting from the ice cave made me *very* woozey - something about all the brightness and changing lights, plus the noise, really made me feel ill. We will not go back.

My daughter (15) and I were just talking about going back on our next vacation. She loved it and it is on her list of restaurants that she want to head back to next trip. It' is a bit loud (think Rainforest Cafe) but it is a kids kind of atmosphere. I thought that the food was really good (better than RC) and wouldn't mind going back one bit! ::yes::

T-Rex was so much fun and good food when we went in May of 2012. My DS was only 6yrs old at the time and an extremely picky eater. He loved the place and the food. I also want to add he still is an extremely picky eater. Unless the service or quality has gone downhill since last year we plan going back to eat there this year.

There are only 3 restaurants I property I will not step food in again (unless a major refurb or something drastic happens...) and T-Rex is one of them!!! Truly a terrible restaurant, bad food, and the theming really isn't that great its really loud and obnoxious... Even the young kids (boys and girls) disliked it

You will read good & bad about every restaurant here. Case in point... when our nieces & nephews come to visit, they always want to eat at T-Rex. Their restaurant of choice was RFC, before T-Rex was built. We've never had a bad meal there. It isn't outstanding, but it's consistently good. It isn't a place I would go to have a quiet, relaxing meal with DH, but it's perfect for kids who have a hard time keeping to an inside voice or a big group. All kids are different, but we've been with two infants who were fine. One slept through the entire meal. At 2, our nephew's little one loved it. Very timid kids may be scared.

OTOH, DH & I ate at Raglan Road & didn't enjoy the food at all. We left & got something else to eat. My DH will usually eat anything, which says a lot. (I'm a little more discerning about food, so I'm probably a tougher critic than most. ;)) We had a niece that really wanted to eat there, so DS & I gave in & went again. DH begged his way out of it. :laughing: Neither DS nor I were impressed with the food & again barely picked at it. It would take a niece or nephew really wanting to go to get us back, & I would try the ribs. Out of two trips & everyone getting something different both times, they're one of the things we haven't tried & they get good reviews.

So, on this thread alone, we have good & bad reviews for the same two restaurants. :rotfl: I say eat where you think your family would rather go. If you don't enjoy it, you'll know for yourself & won't need to return. I would never recommend anyone change dining plans based on opinions here, including mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter