Swimsuit for tween girl

N

nw6675

I know someone out there has or is experiencing this too...my tween daughter has outgrown girl sizes (at least those that go up to 16). She is in a size 2 ladies jean and a S or M shirt now. We are having a horrible time finding a bathing suit! A ladies small fits her except she doesn't have the pieces parts for the top :D It gaps open when she leans over so she has to swim with a t-shirt on.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a brand or store that either sells girls 18/20 bathing suits or a ladies style that has worked for you? Given COVID we hate shopping in person and would like to order online, but either the 18/20 is always sold out or we can't tell online if the ladies S will work for her up top. Any suggestions welcomed! We have a Great Wolf Lodge trip in a few weeks and then a week at Disney in December so she is anxious to have a new suit :)

Speedo was always my go-to for my tween. When she wanted a 2 piece we did a speedo racerback top (like sports bra style) so that it did not have any "spaces" on the top and she liked the boy short bottoms. Hope that helps. It's a tough size I remember so many things she was in between sizes and appropriate styles. Good Luck! **Women extra small size

Mine wears a 16 from Justice yet. Have you tried there? They have some that don’t look too girly. They are the only ones that seem to work so far in my Dd’s size that I approve of.

Mine wears a 16 from Justice yet. Have you tried there? They have some that don’t look too girly. They are the only ones that seem to work so far in my Dd’s size that I approve of.

Our Justice closed completely at our mall during COVID so I didn't even think of them! I just looked online and was able to order three bathing suits for under $40 in larger girl sizes. YAY!!!

I'm going to check out Speedo as well. Thanks!

I have had some luck at Target and on Amazon. It's really hard at that age. My teen is too old for Justice swimsuits, she won't wear them anymore, but she's also too young for the sexy bathing suit styles at American Eagle and the teen stores.

I just bought my DD11 a cute, modest swimsuit on clearance at Target for $10. You might check their online selection if you don't want to go in person.

Swim outlet dot com has a large selection of Speedo’s and other brands. Might find some tankinis there.

Try Kohl's online. They have quite a few sporty mix-match styles so that you can accommodate a size difference between her hips and bust.

You also might try the Dolfin Uglies line of competitive-style one pieces. They don't work well for busty girls, but as that doesn't seem to be her issue, they may work well for her.

Girls 18-20 is probably not going to be a great fit for someone who is slim-hipped enough to fit in size 2 jeans. That size tends to be meant for girls who have very little in the way of curves, but who are not especially slender (not fat, you understand; healthy weight, but boyish.) It's about equivalent to a misses 8, only flatter in the bust and straight in the waist. The waist on a misses size 2 is normally about 26", whereas the waist on a girl's 18-20 is closer to 33. The hip measure is closer between the two sizes, but the girls 18-20 will be about 2-3" larger in the hip.

Try Kohl's online. They have quite a few sporty mix-match styles so that you can accommodate a size difference between her hips and bust.

You also might try the Dolfin Uglies line of competitive-style one pieces. They don't work well for busty girls, but as that doesn't seem to be her issue, they may work well for her.

Girls 18-20 is probably not going to be a great fit for someone who is slim-hipped enough to fit in size 2 jeans. That size tends to be meant for girls who have very little in the way of curves, but who are not especially slender (not fat, you understand; healthy weight, but boyish.) It's about equivalent to a misses 8, only flatter in the bust and straight in the waist. The waist on a misses size 2 is normally about 26", whereas the waist on a girl's 18-20 is closer to 33. The hip measure is closer between the two sizes, but the girls 18-20 will be about 2-3" larger in the hip.

Thank you! This is very helpful info.

We've shopped a lot on Swim Outlet. They have a lot of options for swim suits that will stay in place. :-)

Athleta has great swimsuits. The quality is excellent. There may not be much of a selection now, but if you do find something you like, they are all marked down.

Try Lands End. Found these to be great for tweens. Long lasting and good fit and coverage. They have some good sales sometimes too. Keep checking back.

My vote for Athlete as well, and Title Nine. Pricey, but they are made well and lots of sport tankini choices that won't gap or hang loose.

We used Land's End for years when our kids were little, handing them down to the next kid, and then one year the quality changed and the bathing suits lost all their elastic before the end of one summer.

My 13 year old is between sizes last year. We found Target women's worked. She would get the top and bottom separate. She would wear a small in the bottoms and an x-small on top.

Try Lands End. Found these to be great for tweens. Long lasting and good fit and coverage. They have some good sales sometimes too. Keep checking back.

this is where I’ve had the best luck, they aren’t cheap but my very picky DD found suits that are cute and she could order the pieces how they fit best. If cared for they’ve lasted a couple years. When she got a bit older we could mix and match the bottom to a new top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter