SWGE Opens August 29!

I'm one of the few here who is thrilled that SWGE is opening in September! We have a 14nt free dining trip booked mid-September. We haven't been to WDW in 4 years so we were hoping for low crowds, but we're also HUGE SW fans. I can already see DH and DS15 taking an Uber to HS at 4am on all of our HS days (Just like they did when we went to SW weekends back in the day). Yes, it will be crowded, but it'll be a blast!

So I wonder about all the people who had a vacation planned during this and are now either cancelling or rescheduling. If you are going to reschedule, what time frame are you looking at?

I'm hoping for May, but I have other travel parties to consider, so it will depend on them. But we will be going sometime between May and August (before the 29th!)

This sucks lol. I was all set to be there for opening day but we have a Hilton Head vacation planned for August 30th and I cannot cancel since I purchased points and it's paid for. The good news is our December Beach Club trip Christmas week is booked and paid for! Hopefully both SW:GE attractions will be open by then.

Last edited:

This is now on the WDW website when you go to book a room so it looks like it's confirmed that WDW will also have phases.

Attachments

• 001BEC94-C824-4975-951D-F9DA229BCDBD.png
    001BEC94-C824-4975-951D-F9DA229BCDBD.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 97
So I wonder about all the people who had a vacation planned during this and are now either cancelling or rescheduling. If you are going to reschedule, what time frame are you looking at?

I am canceling the trip for September and very disappointed because had a great rate and free dining at the Boardwalk Inn. Probably, the only person that was disappointed with this announcement for SWGE and no opening date for the Runaway Railroad.

I'm having mixed feelings.

We are going as a family 8/24-9/1 with a kid who really doesn't care about Star Wars. We'd already planned to go to Typhoon Lagoon on the 29th and avoid Epcot b/c of the predicted beginning of F&WF---will that still be Labor Day weekend?? So now we avoid HS too. We have annual passes and if there's an AP opportunity in the days leading up, we'll take it. Mostly, I'm worried about early arrivers crowding everything else.

We're heading back in February during President's week with some first-timer friends, one of whom LOVES Star Wars and Harry Potter (we're doing both, for sure). I was worried about the crowds given break and the previously held thought that SWGE would open in Nov. So now I feel like the newness will be slightly more worn off by then, with people having several holiday options to visit prior to Feb.

If it were me, alone, I'd also be a 3AM line person. But my husband can't remember the order of the movies. Honestly, he doesn't even know what the Kessel Run is...that part of Solo was lost on him!! And my kid would rather they build a Mine Craft world dedicated Stampy Cat. Neither would understand my decision!!

With no FP (and what is looking like capacity issue as well) I'm curious as to how they will handle DAS guests... My autistic son is an insane Star Wars fan but he can't wait an hour in line (let alone several).

Last edited:
Not the only one. I booked a DVC room as well. Still working out details but we have something for now!
I booked us at SSR. At the time only SSR and OKW were available and I prefer SSR. SSR is still open buy OKW is now booked.

Am I the only one with an early fall (Sept 7-14) trip already booked that is a little bummed by this news? Nervous about what this will mean for crowds during a time that is typically less busy. :(

You’re not the only one. We booked the last week of August to avoid the crowds...and the crowds followed us. Hoping the first of the week will be okay!

This sucks lol. I was all set to be there for opening day but we have a Hilton Head vacation planned for August 30th and I cannot cancel since I purchased points and it's paid for. The good news is our December Beach Club trip Christmas week is booked and paid for! Hopefully both SW:GE attractions will be open by then.

I am praying ROTR will be open for Thanksgiving!!! :D

We originally decided we were still going ahead with our trip, it is already booked and paid for and MNSSHP tickets purchased. We are now waiting a few days to think about it and might move over to Universal and just uber over for the MNSSHP . We are really disappointed because this is the first time at disney in 10 years for me and a combined 1yr wedding anniversary and 45th birthday present for us. We can live with scrapping DHS off the trip to avoid that madness ( and we are HUGE star wars fans. we both grew up on the original trilogy and had all the toys ) and just doing the other parks, but if those crowd predictions jump ridiculously as well, we just don't want to deal with it .

I'll be there a week after the opening, psyched that it'll be open for my birthday trip!
How early should we head over to HS to make sure we can:
A) get into the land
&
B) get to ride?
I have never gone so soon after a major land opening, so not sure what to expect. Also, I'm assuming buses will not be running at the hour we would need to arrive - would uber be our best bet? Thanks!

I'll be there a week after the opening, psyched that it'll be open for my birthday trip!
How early should we head over to HS to make sure we can:
A) get into the land
&
B) get to ride?
I have never gone so soon after a major land opening, so not sure what to expect. Also, I'm assuming buses will not be running at the hour we would need to arrive - would uber be our best bet? Thanks!
Unfortunately I don't think anyone really knows what to expect for this. Pandora is probably the closest recent comparison at WDW. I know when my family and I did rope drop in Jan 2018 for FoP, we went on an EMH day and still got there an hour early (so essentially we got there at 7 a.m.). There were already a good number of people amassed at the main gate. We waited about an hour there, and once we got to the ride itself, we still waited probably 45 mins (so nearly 2 hrs in total but it didn't feel that long since it was segmented, plus it didn't eat into our in the park time because the first hour was before park open). And that was in 2018 so Pandora was no longer brand new or anything.

I'm not sure when Disney actually opens the lots but my guess is if the buses aren't running yet, the lot wouldn't be open so an uber wouldn't be able to drop you off anyways. Alternatively you could Uber to Swan and Dolphin and walk from there maybe?

I would say just plan on getting there as early as you are willing/able and go from there!

I think folks underestimate how much impact Star Wars will have on attendance. Avatar may have been a successful movie but it doesn't have anywhere close to the pop culture attraction of Star Wars. The first Star Wars movie was issued in 1977, there have been multiple movies since, and they are making more still. My kids LOVED Star Wars growing up in the 90s and 00s, and I still see more Star Wars memorabilia than anything else. Haven't done any research, but Star Wars as a brand strikes me as much more popular than the Disney brand. I think it is going to be hugely popular for many, many years. Nothing Disney has ever done will compare. Of course, I could be incredibly wrong, but that's just my take.

I agree with you! I think this will be HUGE for a LONG time.

With no FP (and what is looking like capacity issue as well) I'm curious as to how they will handle DAS guests... My autistic son is an insane Star Wars fan but he can't wait an hour in line (let alone several).

Hi I use a DAS pass for my daughter on our trips. I am not going until next summer don't want to deal with the crowds and will enjoy the kinks worked out more. In IMHO I think they once you are able to get into the land and get to the ride entrance you will get the estimated wait time. If it is 2 or 3 hours I think you will get that to come back. Now I am not sure how they will do loading and unloading because you usually go through the FPplus lane. I think they will have to do some rethinking of the DAS pass. I don't think the procedure of getting the stand by time and return will change. I have a feeling you will have to wait in the land though because if they close to capacity issues I don't think you will get back in with the DAS pass.

I just realized that the opening day is interestingly one of the $109/day ticket prices in the latest pricing methods... then many days at the same low rate in the immediate weeks that follow for traditional September crowds. It will be interesting if Disney upholds their statements that the calendar pricing remains fixed once released, or if they change their tune on dynamic pricing.

I just realized that the opening day is interestingly one of the $109/day ticket prices in the latest pricing methods... then many days at the same low rate in the immediate weeks that follow for traditional September crowds. It will be interesting if Disney upholds their statements that the calendar pricing remains fixed once released, or if they change their tune on dynamic pricing.
Good observation!

I understand the concern over the crowd levels but... people... the crowds at Disney have been crazy practically year round. I realize that September was supposed to be the 'safe time', the last stronghold even, but so was February right up until this year when crowd reports came in last month saying how insanely crowded the parks were. Odds are not in anyone's favor that their September 2019 trip was going to be crowd-free, or even crowd-moderate. Even without SWGE your September vacation was most likely going to be way more crowded than you had expected - based on crowd levels this Jan/Feb - and for those visiting in October it was definitely going to be crowded.

IMHO, if you're considering moving your vacation to a less crowded time then you're talking years out before that happens... even in two years when SWGE influx has subsided (and not substantially, yet) you'll be up against the 50th anniversary. I say keep your vacation and go. The only reason I wouldn't go is if your vacation was within the first week or two of SWGE opening and you were banking hard on visiting HS; then I definitely understand the concern about not being able to get in to the park and the more-than-insane crowds that particular week/end(s).

Barring an economic downturn akin to what we saw in 2009/2010, you can expect WDW to be operating with heavy crowds all the time. Not even from September-on, but from two years ago-on. The crowds have consistently grown and Disney's price raising hasn't deterred the drastic numbers from showing up each day. Sure, these new lands will add to the number showing up, but they will also help spread the crowds out. What will have to change now is how people plan their vacation and adjust based on priorities. That's just the reality of the 'new' Disney landscape.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter