Support Group - 10 lbs or less

Thanks everyone! After 2 days I'm finally coming down from my "runners high" from the half on Sunday. Phew...back to regular life now and setting up some new goals now that that is done.

OhMom - keep venting away here! :grouphug: Sorry things don't seem to be improving! I really hope your doctor will work with you - or is there anyone else you can go see?

Kolohe - 5 Halfs! Wow that is awesome! I'd love to do a Disney race, they look so fun!

I'm now up 3 pounds now since vacation! WHAT? I was only up 1 pound after we got back!!! :rotfl: I've really been eating bad (2 birthdays, lots of out to eat), so I'm re-establishing my goal to lose 6 more pounds to get to my initial goal weight that I set for myself in January. I think it'll be difficult since I'm already exercising so much, that I'll really need to cut down the calories to make this happen. So back to tracking everything and back to 1200 calories per day. Thinking about starting South Beach again since I didn't last too long the first attempt. :headache:

Yesterday I went for my first run since the half - legs were quite sore but it felt good to get out there, but I walked some stretches along the route. As I was doing my usual 4 mile loop, I realized that this was the first time since I started running that I was not following some sort of training plan....I'm all on my own now!!! Which made me wonder what I want to do now, how I'm going to run through winter...all that stuff. Since snow is right around the corner and I don't have a treadmill, I'm going to try to continue running outdoors as long as I can into fall and early winter. I still want to do one longer run each week just to keep up some distance, but I think I'm going to start trying to increase my speed and times a little bit and encorporate a few speed intervals into my regular runs. (I had read this will help with weight loss as well, mixing up the intensity and duration of the intervals).

So that's the plan...more running, less weight. I'd love to do one more fall race event, there are a bunch in October and November, so I need to find one that will work and register for it - something to keep me motivated! I'm going to start weighing in each week again and I really hope I can do it this time, the last 2 months I've just maintained the same weight within a pound or 2 up or down. Ugh, I really hate dieting. :sad2:

Anyone else want to do a weekly Friday weigh-in with me? :flower3:

I weighed in this morning and I'm down .5, which is at least something in the right direction! My week wasn't great, was a bit stressed due to some family issues and tried to comfort myself with cookies! That didn't work.... :rolleyes:

My 2 runs this week were both really bad - Tuesday when I went my legs were still pretty sore from the half, and yesterday the legs left fine all day but I was so slow and sluggish out there - I felt horrible! It was very hot and humid here again (I ran in between rain storms), and I didn't really drink any water all day, so that probably didn't help. It was just so disppointing to be out there and feel so horrible - legs left like lead weights and I walked quite a few stretches of my rounte inbetween trying to run.

Anyone else every had really bad runs after a big event? I hope my next run is better!

I'm in for a weekly Friday weigh in :thumbsup2 I can't promise I won't weigh myself other times during the week though- I fluctuate SO MUCH that sometimes it makes me feel better to know it's not "real" weight.

I'm down from the beginning of the week but up 3 pounds from vacation so I'm right back to where I was earlier in the summer :sad2: I had lost during August and was down to the lowest I've seen in years and now I'm back up. Grr. This week we've eaten HORRIBLY and I only ran once so I'm not surprised I didn't go down much this week!

Oh I didn't post this week about it but I ran the fastest time I've ever had on 4 miles on Tuesday! 38:52 - the first time I've ever averaged less than 10 minute miles!! (my usual is 10:40 miles)

MMQ~ Here's a great article on recovery: http://www.active.com/images/active...e-ea153d4b624dHalf_Marathon_Recovery_Tips.pdf Looks like you may have jumped back into it a little quickly- they recommend only walking or cross training the week after your half. You may need to give yourself a little more time to recover!

Goodluck this weekend everyone... I know weekends are hard for all of us (in terms of eating). I'm looking forward to it though since the week after vacation is always a downer for me!

i already do a friday weigh-in so more accountability is great! this week i maintained. not surprising i didn't journal my food either.

MMQ -- definately allow yourself 2-3 weeks to recover, did your training plan not have a 'reverse taper' following the event. I'll try post:

PostRace Recovery

Week 1 REST 20 mins REST 30 mins REST 3 miles REST
Week 2 30 mins 30 mins REST 40 mins REST 4 miles REST
Week 3 40 mins 40 mins REST 40 mins 30 mins 5 miles REST

it's hard to post columns here....each column is one day of the week

Karen, weekend eating is why I weigh in on Fridays. The good news is that I'm down one more pound this week.

Thanks Karen and OhMom for the information about traing/tapering after an event - I guess I did not read up too much on what to do after the race! (ooops :headache:) Good things is I did end up walking about half my route, so at least I did mostly walking those 2 days.

I too weigh myself during the week but my "official" weigh-in is Friday - that is what I track week to week since that is usually a decent number! :laughing:

I weigh myself on Fridays and Mondays. Today I weighed exactly the same as I have for the past week. Which I'm cool with considering I'm at that lovely TOTM where I'm constantly hungry and a tad more water-filled than usual.

I was good with my workouts this week, and not too bad on eating. I did have a chocolate bar today as well as my traditional Friday cookie from the cookie store around the corner. But I bought it from a cute little kid raising money for a good cause, can't pass that up, right? ;)

Monday I weighed in and was up only 3.8 pounds. Much better than 7! I think most of it is gone now. Up the activity this week. No where near running like some of you but, it was movement and that is what counts. Ya'll keep talking about your runs and maybe it will seep in on me and I will give it another try. :goodvibes

I was good with my workouts this week, and not too bad on eating. I did have a chocolate bar today as well as my traditional Friday cookie from the cookie store around the corner. But I bought it from a cute little kid raising money for a good cause, can't pass that up, right? ;)

Those calories don't count ;)

bellem04~ you should try running! The C25K program works well for a lot of people- I wish I used that when I started out.

I woke up Monday morning feeling almost swollen- probably from the salty brunch and frozen pizza on Sunday :headache: I was up 5 POUNDS from the day before!! WHAT?? I drank a ton of water and ate relatively well Mon/tues so I'm down that 5lbs plus another 0.2 which puts me the lowest I've been since I came back from Disney but still 2lbs over what I was before Disney.

I didn't work out yesterday and ate a hot dog and ice cream for dinner so I was surprised to see such a loss. I've been drinking TONS of water though. I ran for 3 miles and did 20 min on the bike on Monday, didn't work out Tuesday and am doing my body pump strength class tonight. Tomorrow is a short run and spinning. I'm hoping to get into more of a schedule- the week after vacation we ate HORRIBLY so I know that contributed to some of my gain.

Don't know about you guys but it's raining like crazy all week- so no runs outside for me!

Okay, back from Disneyland. Had an incredible time, but um, well, it's time to get back into better eating habits. First couple of days back were pretty good. Here's to hoping Friday and Saturday are good too.

Question about ab/belly fat. So, right now I'm really happy with about 90% of my body. The 10% I'm not happy with is my belly. Having 3 kids is really showing and I need some help getting rid of belly fat. My abs are in pretty good shape, but you can't tell because of what is covering them. I know you can't spot reduce and it takes time, but what kinds of ab specific exercises do you do? I need some ideas beyond crunches.

Thanks!

my friday w/i stunk! i'm up 1.8 lbs from 2 weeks ago, i'm just yo-yo'ing 4 lbs and can't seem to break through

i did workout 4 days this week and will also tomorrow --

Hi everyone! Hope you all had a good week - mine was okay.

bellem04 - I started out this year on the Couch to 5K program - it is great! I've never been a runner and really hated running my whole life, but I'm a convert now! If you are interested in starting running it is a great program.

Karen - wow 5 pounds! That is a huge fluctuation! Glad you headed in the right direction!

Steves1bear - I have the same problem - I feel like I'm all belly, rest of me is in okay shape. I dont' know what the answer is either - I know I can lose about 10 more pounds and probably lose most of the belly!

Well it's Friday, and I used to look forward to weigh-in day but today I dreaded it - not that I was horrible this week but I wasn't great either. So, my weight is the same as last week, which is better than a gain I guess!

I didn't track my food but did I did much better on my snacking and had much smaller portions at meals, so it's a start...now I need to actually track. I ran 2 days this week, 4 miles each, and yesterday had a really good run! I was able to hold a 9:15 pace for 2 miles! I had to slow way down after that and felt a little bit burned out, but I was glad to be able to do it for 2 mile! This was probably the fastest pace I've ever run at, let alone for 2 miles!

This weekend I should be able to do pretty good - plan to run again today and Sunday morning. We are having a family cookout Saturday but I'm bringing chicken and salad so I'm going to really try to be good. Hope everyone is doing well!

MMQ~ Congrats!! 9:15 is amazing. I can keep that up (really pushing it) for maybe a mile. I did 4 miles averaging at 9:43 last week and was totally amazed at myself.

So I'm down SEVEN pounds since Monday :rotfl: Goes to show what lots of sodium and pizza can do to you! I'm down from last Friday too though- by like 2.8 lbs. So now I'm only 0.2lbs above what I was at my lowest (before Disney). Yaaaay! We're running tomorrow because the rain is supposed to stop. I'm hoping for another 5 miles. This week I only did two 3 mile runs because I combined them with 20 minutes on the bike on Tues and a beginner spin class yesterday. Tomorrow is drinking and food and football at a friends house so I need to be good!

Totally random- my spin instructor last night is turning 39 years old (today) and having her third baby in 20 DAYS. It was beginner spin so it was only 30 minutes but I was drenched and tired at the end- and afterwards she was getting ready to teach an hour pilates/yoga/taichi class!! At like 9 months pregnant?! Amazing. I want to be like that when I get preggers ;)

steves1bear~ I have the opposite problem. It's my arms/hips/thighs that I hate. My stomach/abs are my favorite. Which doesn't bode well for when I have kids since then I'll be left with nothing I like :lmao: I do abs everyday I work out no matter what I do. On cardio days I do the same routine- crunches, then crunches using obliques by putting your heel on your opposite knee (typical) and then work my lower abs (see exercise #8 in link) and finish with 2 60 second planks. I found this good link: http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises.htm My favs are #8 and #10 (the plank) but I also do #1 (bicycles) a lot because they have us do that in body pump.

here's an article on the belly flab thing you were talking about too: http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/a/flatabs.htm You are right- it's not really ab exercises as much as just losing weight overall. It's also has a lot to do with genetics. I tend to lose weight in my stomach first, thighs/arms last. My thighs have gotten a little better with running but now are tons of muscle and some fat rather than being tons of fat, some muscle. They're pretty much the same size, maybe slightly smaller but not noticable to anyone other than me.

This is something I really struggle with- coming to terms with the idea that I won't ever have that body that I want unless I go to unhealthy means to attain it. Although with running and strength training I've really changed my body tone for the better and that on it's own makes me feel a lot better :thumbsup2

I lost another two pounds this week! I'm almost there.

Steves1bear, my belly went away fairly quickly. My fat storage is mainly in my butt and thighs.

I'm glad to have found this thread! Since July I have gained 10lbs which on me is quite a bit. I'm almost 5'6 and now I'm 138 lbs. Its almost all belly and I just don't feel good. I think it may be related to new medication but I still need to do something about it.

Karen- Thanks so much for the information and links. It really helps! Now to get into a good routine and make sure it happens every day!

:welcome: Ellibelle :welcome:

sounds like the group is on a losing streak --- :rockband:

life has been keeping me busy and DH and I leave Sat for his conference at the Contemporary! i'm so excited! leaving DDs home, alone for the first time for more than just one overnight. my oldest is 18 now and they are both responsible...but naturally i'll be fretting some or i wouldn't be thinking about it now...lol...thank the Lord for cell phones

Oct 21 will be my next shot at finding the right doctor, i have an endocrinologist appt for a 2nd opinion. i am losing strength in my arms now, last Sat I worked out with weights, just low and slow. i ached for 3 days after and i don't think the muscles have truly recovered. yesterday was a good day, today i can tell has more aches & pains in store. I relate to my youngest DD who was diagnosed with Juv. Rheumatoid Arthritis just after her 6th birthday, 7 1/2 years ago. each day is different and i gotta just go with the flow

Welcome Ellibelle!!

Karen! 7 pounds!! That is riduculous!!! In a good way!

Redlight - great job - 2 is awesome!

OhMom - hope you have a great trip and get some time to relax! You deserve it! Sorry to hear you are still not feeling any better, but glad you have an upcoming appointment with the new endo. Hoping that it will go well for you and they can help!! :hug:

My week has been decent, I had 2 great runs this week. Monday I did a 4 miler, held 9:30 pace for all of it! I really had to push myself and I was really huffing and puffing the last 2 miles, but I really wanted to make it so I forced myself to hold the pace. Then yesterday I ran 4 again, and did 1 & 2 in 9:15, then I had to stop and stretch and it slowed me down! I was wearing the 1 pair of shorts that don't have pockets and was holding my MP3 in my right hard, and man, my right shoulder, neck, and back got sore!! I don't know what I was doing wrong, I was really trying not to be tense or squeeze it, but my shoulder got so sore. I had to stop and stretch twice, so my finish time wasn't great although the time I was actually running was pretty decent. Love being in the 9s!

So I hopped on the scale this morning since I was feeling kind of good and was thrilled to see I'm down 2.5 pound from last week! I even got off and back on to to be sure it wasn't a mistake! :laughing: So just 1 pound up from my lowest weight last month before vacation. So I'm really happy with that - had several salads this week and a small dinner last night after my run, wasn't really hungry after drinking so much water after I got back. So I feel like I'm back on the right track here...now just don't mess it up!!! :rotfl:

Can't wait to hear how everyone did this week!

:cheer2: I am so excited! I am doing Weight Watchers and my leader told me to go ahead and make my goal 155 (for my height). I really would love my goal to be 135. It just looks like I will be waiting for a very long time for that. I will keep working on the last 11 pounds. I will get it off! :cheer2:

Hey all! Just skimmed through the last few postings and it sounds like everyone is doing pretty well! My computer came down with viruses, so I've been computer-less for about a week. Luckily I have a bro-in-law who is very smart and can fix it with his geek voodoo :thumbsup2 And since I've been providing free babysitting on a weekly basis for the past 4 years, he has to do it no charge ;)

I did weigh in on Friday, and I was about the same as I was the week before. I think I've hit a plateau weight-wise, but I can tell my muscles are getting stronger and better toned with the strength training I've been doing. Today I did 7 miles before work, just a couple more weeks 'til the Halloween Half!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts