Success at 7 months

Discussion in 'DVC Member Services' started by zavandor, Feb 13, 2019.

1. jamiecarr@dvcstore

jamiecarr@dvcstore Earning My Ears

This is the best statement I have seen about availability and using the DVC membership to it's fullest. I tell people all the time, that what you put into the membership, is what you get out. If you are flexible, use waitlists, try at exactly 7 months, etc. that you will get the most out of your membership and will be happy with how it works out. Congrats on your reservations, thanks for sharing and have a great trip!

2. Mousewerks

Mousewerks DIS Veteran

I may be attempting this, we'll see.

3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Disney Vacation Club Resales www.dvcstore.com

4. disland7

disland7 Mouseketeer

I know there are threads giving advice for success at 7 month window but I can’t find them right now. Anyone know what they are called (or want to give the advice again: what time? Have it already loaded up and just click the button at the time it opens? Etc)

5. js

js Been around since before the disboards 90s crash

I booked 8 nights, September 6-14 at GFVs standard studio at 7 months.

However, I booked about 5 of those nights first and then had one night from a WL come through and then stalked the RAT. This took about 2 weeks to accomplish. I could have booked LV studio and 1-2 bedroom (I have the points), but it is my mom and I going and we don't use the extra space and I really love the monorail view and hope to get it again
    when I request my location. I was fairly confident I would get the days since it is 7 months away.

I could have gotten any monorail resort at 7 months. I didnt look at other resorts but guessing they should have also been available. However, this is the first year that I had to stalk and piece together a monorail resort for the week after Labor Day at 7 mo ths.

I also stalked the RAT in January during Marathon Weekend for a trip planned about 3 months prior and got 8 nights LV studio at BLT but I had to stalk about 4 of the 8 nights. That took me about 1 1/2 months although it seemed like a lifetime since I stalked EVERY.SINGLE.MINUTE that I was available to do so.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  6. crisi

crisi DIS Veteran

I would state this very differently - know yourself. We are happy booking 11 months out at home and staying there - or if we want something else - choosing an easy to get option (Hilton Head in February is darn easy to get)...but I am not happy waitlisting or being flexible about what I'm booking. I'm certainly getting the most out of my membership for me - and being flexible would NOT be getting the most out of my membership for me. If you want to stay at different places - you will need to be flexible - and the more flexible - in resort, time of year, room size, ability to move during your stay, the willingness to stalk the RAT - the more likely it is to work for you. If you are able to book eleven months out and want a specific resort - you should buy there. The problems lie in the in between spaces - people who don't understand that flexible might mean moving two times because the waitlist didn't come through, and effective waitlisting involves stalking - which means time - if you are working full time without internet access, you could lose out to someone who can hit the DVC site four times a day looking for a room let loose. It means understanding that you might not get your first choice - or your second - in resort or room size or time of year.

There is another piece to this puzzle - if you already own, you do what works for you - you want to cruise with your points, you want to stay at a resort that wasn't even open when you bought - go for it - your costs are sunk and get the most out of your membership for you. If you don't own now and are planning for the future, things will change - both with DVC and with your life - advice that works today might not work in five years - you need to be aware of that to make a sensible purchasing decision.

7. cmwade77

cmwade77 DIS Veteran

On our last trip, everything but our first two days was available at BWV at 7 months out, I simply refused to do a split stay because we have always found them a pain in the past, I an thinking with online check in, which we experienced for the first time this last trip, it may not be such as issue now.

8. zavandor

zavandor DIS Veteran

With my greatest surprise my waitlist came through, so for my next stay I've accomplished the DVC Value Trifecta: 4 nights at BLT standard, 4 nights at AKV Value and 4 nights at BWV standard, all booked at 7 months: BLT with a fast finger right at 7 months, the other two via waitlist.
    I guess who has cancelled the AKV value reservation has been scared about the idea of being within 100 miles from the DHS two weeks after the opening of Galaxy Edge. I know because I'm scared too, but flights have been booked, so there is no turning point for me.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Madame, MommaBerd and JETSDAD like this.
  9. laura-k

laura-k Mouseketeer

10. LRdismom

LRdismom Earning My Ears

I just scored 9 nights in a Copper Creek studio in October 7 months out by stalking continuously and grabbing days here and there. I drove myself a little batty, but my hard work paid off. I originally had 7 nights book at Poly but wanted to try something new and for fewer points. In this case, I definitely think a waitlist would have never worked and stalking was my only option.

Madame likes this.
  11. js

Great news! Stalking has worked for me. I stalked 8 nights at BLT LV Studio over Marathon Weekend in January, which was a trip we planned end of September.
    I stalked SO much, I was having dreams (YES really!) about stalking. It took about two months of constant stalking and while it was a PITA it was still
    a little thrilling LOL I believe, too, your (or my January trip) WL would never have come through for all the nights even moresoe when you are looking for more than
    a week.

My GFVs 8 night September trip had to be stalked but that only took me about 2 weeks.

Enjoy!

Madame and LRdismom like this.
  12. LRdismom

LRdismom Earning My Ears

Agreed 100%! I think the saying "where there's a will, there's a way" completely applies. Enjoy your trip as well!

13. Katie L

Katie L Mouseketeer

So the system doesn't auto-jump to waitlist? I assume by stalking you mean constantly F5-ing (refresh) the RAT? We are at the beginning of the buying process so want to understand everything. That's my control-freak nature.

14. LRdismom

LRdismom Earning My Ears

I kept refreshing (several times a day) and reserved whatever consecutive nights I could find at once. I would “modify” my vacation and if there were any additional nights available, I just added them to my existing reservation. Eventually I got all of the dates I wanted. I wanted a studio, which is much harder to get at the 7 month mark, but if you’re more flexible, it’s a little easier to score bigger rooms. It’s also easier to book a split stay, but I wanted one continuous reservation.

Katie L likes this.
  15. Katie L

Katie L Mouseketeer

Did you have a stay booked at your home? Or no?

16. js

I'm not the OP but I have successfully stalked both for January and September for 8 nights. I do not like (but never have done) split stays.
    For the January Marathon week trip, I had booked my home resort of SSR, but when I saw some BLT nights available, I modified my
    stay and had a split stay with SSR and BLT but I was very intent on getting BLT and stalked with auto-refresh.
    For September, I did not book SSR first since I knew I could get that in any category I wanted for the week after Labor Day.

I can also tell you even though I had WLs set up, the days first appeared on the RAT, not went to my (or anyone else's) WL.

17. LRdismom

LRdismom Earning My Ears

I did the same as above. I kept my original reservation and gradually reduced the amount of nights as I increased the nights in my new reservation.

Katie L likes this.
  18. KPeterso

KPeterso DIS Veteran

Congrats on your stay! I got 13 nights at Boardwalk Villas (garden view) at the 7 month mark. Just booked the first 7 nights and then kept adding each day until I got my full dates. I had 0 issues getting it. I got it last year during September too, but had to waitlist the last night (came through in a week) and then the first night when I got airfare and was coming in a day sooner(came through in about 3 weeks as I recall). I wish I owned there, but the shorter contract end date does not work for me.

I also had AKV Kidani standard view just last week that I booked at 7 months (I own there, but had a lot of banked points from SSR that I wanted to use for that stay).