• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

strollers at WDW

jojj

Earning My Ears
can anyone tell me how much it is to hire a stroller please at WDW and do they do a double one for 2 children side by side and how much is this one please?
thanks

I think, and my memory is going at the old age of 33, that a double was around $15.

The double is 15.00 a day and if you return it to the booth you get a Disney dollar back. There is a program now where you can buy a ticket for as many days as you want with a small discount, I dont remember how much and you just take the ticket to the collection point whenever you need a stroller and you can collect your Disney Dollars all at one time at the end of your trip.

Another tidbit, if you rent a stroller in the park keep the receipt. If during that day you go to another park you can get another stroller no charge. At least that is how it was in Jan 2004

Does anybody know how big these strollers are? I have a 3 1/2 year old, and I am worried that he might not make it walking the whole day. I just wondered if the strollers were big enough to hold a 35 lb toddler.

I'm going to bring our own stroller for my 4yo. I want to have the stroller for after the parks and I'm too cheap to pay the daily rental fee for a week. If you are flying they can gate check a stroller and it won't have to be checked.

T&B

Originally posted by Zumerz3
Does anybody know how big these strollers are? I have a 3 1/2 year old, and I am worried that he might not make it walking the whole day. I just wondered if the strollers were big enough to hold a 35 lb toddler.

The strollers are big but shallow (low to the ground). My 5yr old fit just fine in there. Even I could fit in there, and I'm 5ft tall.

Originally posted by Zumerz3

They are big enough for a 3 1/2 year old one afternoon I had a 4, 6, & 7 year old in one double stroller. :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy:

They are a must at EPCOT & AK Because of so much walking.

The double strollers are big, but they're also difficult to manuever down a crowded street or sidewalk.

Here's my take on the strollers. I've taken my grandaughter since she's been one. That would be 4 times in 3 years. The first 3 times we brought our own stroller. The 4th time we decided that it was too much of a hassle and we would rent. Oops! $8.00 a day for 9 days was $72.00 and there were some days we opted for the double stroller which made it more. We spent close to $100.00 for the stroller. Plus guess who had to carry her to the buses and to the hotel room??? Yep you guessed it! Either myself or grandpa. And half the time she was asleep. Dead weight!:eek: So when we go this next time time, we have decided that is is a lot calmer :D and more relaxing for all to have the stroller with us. She'll be 4 this next time so IT'S COMING WITH US! We usually end up on the bus with other stollers anyway so what's one more? ;)

We use a lightweight umbrella double stroller (el cheapo -- costs less than a 1 week rental) for our Disney trips. Our boys are now 2 and 4 and although the 4 year old is a bit big for it, it will do. It has sun shades, partial recline, and small net bags on the back.

Obviously, a stroller is a must for the parks, but we would never leave it home, because I don't know what we would do without one (a) in the airport, getting from gate to gate, and from the plane to the baggage claim, (b) getting around the LARGE resorts, (c) getting around Downtown Disney or the Boardwalk. Also, it's not just a matter of how fit your child is (although even the fittest child will tire after a day at WDW): sometimes strapping 1 or both of boys in the stroller and walking fast was the only way to prevent a meltdown, i.e. get out of dodge (and parents of toddlers you know what I mean)!!

We used a cheapo umbrella stroller for my five year old. You can find them at Walmart's etc. It was only like 10 bucks and it was a lifesaver. Double stroller for a week is just to much. Good luck and have fun.

I have DD 3 and 5 and am looking for a light weight stroller. The problem I have found is that my DDs are too tall for most of them. I don't need a double, and they seem to have even less room. I am looking at the Mac Triumph ($115). I plan to use this stroller a lot so I don't mind the price, cheaper than renting one for our next 3 trips! Any thougts or suggestions. I would love if my DD5 could use it sometimes too. I also want it to last atleast until my DD3 is 4.

If you don't want to take a stroller with you check into www.ababysbestfriend.com . While I have never rented anything from this place they are getting rave reviews on these boards. I plan on renting a stroller and a crib from them when we go to WDW in October.

Is it a big no no to rent a wheelchair? I have a son who will be 6 (and is taller than average) when we go and he is autistic and deaf. It is hard for him to do the parks without sitting at least half of the time because he gets over-stimulated. He does not have mobility issues, but has low muscle tone and some balance problems. He can walk to and from the buses and throughout the resort (we will be at BCV) but he really needs something for around the parks. Would it be ok to rent him a wheelchair? If so, does anyone know how much these run per day (I think it also requires a deposit?)? Thanks!

Carrieberry
I don't know what the policy is at disney but I cannot imagine anyone disagreeing with you if you felt you needed a wheelchair for your son. Depending on the size of your son he may be fine in a stroller if he doesn't mind sitting in one. I would think that if he has balance issues it would be safer for him than walking through crowds.
I obviously do not know the extent of your son's low muscle tone, but if you think standing in long lines may be a problem you should start asking around. I thought that people with any type of medical condition that may make it difficult for them to stand in line were given some type of pass where they could enter rides through a handicap entrance. I believe you just need medical documentation from your doctor. I am sure someone on these boards knows more about it!

[/B][/QUOTE]
Originally posted by Carrieberry
Is it a big no no to rent a wheelchair? I have a son who will be 6 (and is taller than average) when we go and he is autistic and deaf. It is hard for him to do the parks without sitting at least half of the time because he gets over-stimulated. He does not have mobility issues, but has low muscle tone and some balance problems. He can walk to and from the buses and throughout the resort (we will be at BCV) but he really needs something for around the parks. Would it be ok to rent him a wheelchair? If so, does anyone know how much these run per day (I think it also requires a deposit?)? Thanks!
I would probably not suggest a wheelchair for a 6 yr old, even a tall one unless you are able to get a child size wheelchair. They do have those, but not that many and if you rent from the parks, nothing is guaranteed. The wheelchairs for rent at WDW are adult size and most of the kids I have seen in them don't look that comfortable. because the seat depth is made for an adult, a child either has to sit toward the front of the chair (which means they have no back support and can make it unstable) or they have to sit way back in the chair, which makes their legs stick straight out in front since the bend of the knee doesn't come at the end of the seat. Also, the armrests are up somewhere close to shoulder height for a child.

I'd suggest renting a stroller instead. A lot of people with children with autism really like the WDW strollers. Both the hard plastic type at MK, Epcot and AK and the jogging stroller type ones from the Studio have sides that come up. People have posted that this was a help at cutting down on stimulation and was a big help to their child. Some of the kids also liked the firm pressure of the plastic strollers. The WDW strollers come in several sizes (up to a small 12 year old according to WDW CMs), so a 6 year old should fit fine.
You could also renta stroller from one of the off iste rental places. I've been told that these places rent special needs strollers (like large size umbrella strollers or jogging strollers) that will fir someone up to 100 pounds:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
(800)747-0246

http://www.all-about-kids.com/main.htm

At Guest Services in any of the parks, you can get a Guest Assistance Card that will allow a stroller to be treated as a wheelchair (allowing it to come in lines and buildings where strollers are not usually allowed).

Follow the link in my signature and you can get more info about touring with a child with autism.

Originally posted by HitchhikingGhost
For the wheelchair you may also want to look to Walker Mobility in Orlando. They also have delivery. www.walkermobility.com
I didn't include Walker mobility because, as far as I know, they don't rent child size wheelchairs or special needs strollers. I have been told that Colonial and Care do (and both of them also deliver).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter