Stroller....

uscgmouse

Mouseketeer
What kind of stroller do you take when you cruise? My son will be 22 months when we cruise next and I am trying to figure out which stroller I should bring. I have a Maclaren triumph that is small and easy to fold but it lacks in the storage department and doesn't have cup holders. I also have a graco stroller that has a huge basket and cup holders for both me and baby. I just wonder which would be better to have on the cruise and shore excrusions?

Any info would be great!

The smallest umbrella stroller you can find, and then you only use it on excursions. It's a crowded ship with very narrow passageways. Don't be one of "those people".

The smallest umbrella stroller you can find, and then you only use it on excursions. It's a crowded ship with very narrow passageways. Don't be one of "those people".

Um, that is not really necessary, is it? :confused3

OP, I would bring your umbrella stroller for your baby. You really won't need to much storage since you are never really far from your stateroom. Also, you could get the maclaren storage pouch that hangs off the handles and it has a place for two cups and a pouch in the center for your phone, KTTW card, ect. Plus, inside it you can place diapers and wipes, bibs, change of clothes, hand sanitizer, and now have to bring a diaper bag.

HTH and enjoy your cruise!!

It depends how often you plan on using it. We took are large stroller everywhere on are cruise last year as our dd was only 10 months old and could not walk. On our next cruise she will be 23 months and she loves to walk, so we will take our small foldaway stroller and just use it when she is tired and on excursions.

We will be one of 'those people' as we will have a double side-by-side with us for our cruise. We will also be visiting the parks for our trip and so I need something for then. I had gotten our double for the sole purpose of the travel to the parks last year. I don't even own an umbrella stroller but can't bring an umbrella for part of the vacation and the double for the other part unfortunately.

If we were only doing the cruise and had umbrella strollers, I would choose that option.

Bring the maclaren. Get an attachment bag for cup holders and small storage. I doubt you will need the stroller much onboard, but at least you will have it for excursions. Leave it on the ship at CC to avoid getting it sandy. At both tram stops they have wagons and strollers to borrow while on the island. As for the person with the double side by side, the stroller will cause more headaches than it's worth. I understand you will have it for the parks which is great, but I dont recommend using it while on the ship. It will not fit down the hallways, it will be a huge hassle on the pool decks, it will take forever waiting for an elevator, etc. I love my maclaren twin techno, but there is no way I would use it on a ship, it would be nearly impossible and a huge pain. If you have 2 adults, I would just carry as much as possible.

I'm one of "those people" as well. Well I used to be...DD is now 7. On all the cruises from 5 months-3 years, we took her Graco stroller. It allowed us to take her to dinner, where many times she fell asleep. We could take her to the movies, and stay near the back. She never fussed, and we actually used her stroller for her to sleep in, as it was so much more comfortable for her than the pack n play. The only challenge is it was not as easy to store in the room, but I am so thankful we took it each and every time. Her stroller even went to the top of some Mayan ruins in Costa Maya, Grand Cayman restaurants, the Top of the Mountain in St. Thomas, shopping in St. Maarten, Nassau., and of course, even went to the beach on Castaway Cay a few times. It had storage for everything from a bag to water bottles. I would never take an umbrella stroller on the cruise, or even the theme parks, as it doesn't recline much, looks so very uncomfortable, and has no storage.

I'm an advocate for leaving the stroller at home if you have an ambulatory child and parent on a cruise. The ships, while they are bigger than your house, are not that long!! We are a country of obese and sedentary people and our kids are dealing with health issues previously rarely seen in children. Let them free!!

As a cruiser, you will likely consume far more than 2200 kcal a day and probably could use the heartrate boost by carrying/chasing your little one the average 100 feet from the elevator. As for all the other stuff you think you need to tote, look at your friends with multiple kids - and their normal-sized purses that they carry. They know that you don't need a diaper bag, let alone a vehicle to drag what's important around.

Unencumber yourself and love every minute of it! Think of how most of the world transports their babies and toddlers around. It's not in a stroller. :)

As someone who has gotten run over by "those people", I'd hate for that to happen on a cruise ship that has such narrow corridors. If needed at the parks - okay will concede that. But then just keep it in the cabin...just my opinion. This is the type of subject that will incite a huge debate either way.

I've never been on a cruise but I'm a total gear fanatic and love convenience.

We're bringing a hip carrier, it straps to your shoulder and keeps baby conveniently on your hip and relatively hands free. When baby wants to get out and walk, it rolls up into a small pouch. I know there are a couple of brands out there, like playtex and infantino. It's less restricting than a baby wrap/carrier but way more comfy than hauling baby around... unless you're really working on your biceps.

We're taking our small stroller - it's a chicco, and like a maclaren, it doesn't quite have the storage capacity of a large stroller but has at least some storage. Your stateroom is only a ship away in case you do need anything, so that's what kept us from bringing the double stroller.

Happy cruising and no matter what you go with, make your familys' comfort a priority. I am happy to scoot out of the way for your 18 wheeler stroller LOL

What kind of stroller do you take when you cruise? My son will be 22 months when we cruise next and I am trying to figure out which stroller I should bring. I have a Maclaren triumph that is small and easy to fold but it lacks in the storage department and doesn't have cup holders. I also have a graco stroller that has a huge basket and cup holders for both me and baby. I just wonder which would be better to have on the cruise and shore excrusions?

Any info would be great!

My son was 23 months on our first cruise. I took my Peg Perego Pliko (similar to the mclaran) and it was fine. We really didn't use it on the ship but did take it when we got off the ship. It was a pain on the ship because the elevators were so small you would have to wait for like 3 or 4 elevators to come and stop before there was one you could fit on with the stroller. IMO it was easier to just carry him on the steps and let him walk the rest of the way. He did really well.

I've been going back and forth on this issue. I'll be cruising with my DDs who at the time will be 4,3, and 14 months. I'm bringing an umbrella just for the terminal. It'll just be easier with cary-ons, and little people to keep up with everything. Then I'll just tuck it away until we need to get off to go home. I don't plan on doing any excursions and I mainly just want to explore the ship. I figure this way I can avoid elevator lines by just taking the stairs and just keep going. I'm a very "on the go" type person so trying to push a stroller is just not something I want to really take on. If I need it because she's tired or something I can go back and grab it. I don't think I'll be using it a great deal at all.

I don't recall ever seeing a double side by side stroller on the ship. Will it fit in the hallways? Can no one then pass it?

We will be one of 'those people' as we will have a double side-by-side with us for our cruise. We will also be visiting the parks for our trip and so I need something for then. I had gotten our double for the sole purpose of the travel to the parks last year. I don't even own an umbrella stroller but can't bring an umbrella for part of the vacation and the double for the other part unfortunately.

If we were only doing the cruise and had umbrella strollers, I would choose that option.

Just to reiterate what the poster after you said. You won't be able to get down the hallways in a side by side stroller. We never found the halls to be clear of cleaning carts, so each time you come to one, you will have to take the kids out of the stroller, fold it, pass the cart, then reload.

... It was a pain on the ship because the elevators were so small you would have to wait for like 3 or 4 elevators to come and stop before there was one you could fit on with the stroller. .

And try this on the Dream. Many more passengers, same number elevators (I believe.) We didn't have a stroller and many times gave up waiting and headed for the stairs, even if it meant 8 flights! Believe me, your little ones have more energy than you do :goodvibes

We took a Chicco umbrella stroller when my son was 9 months old. Even with a smaller, umbrella stroller, it was difficult to store it in the room. A larger stroller will be very difficult to maneuver around the ship. Catching an elevator was almost impossible. Usually I held the handles and my husband held the bottom and we took the stairs. We only used it in the evenings when he might sleep in it.

I personally would take the Maclaren. That is what we had on our cruise. Honestly the only time we used it was the last sea day when my DD was feeling a little sea sick in the morning and so she rode/rested. It was hard enough to get around with it.

I had the same concern when originally planning because we were going to do a land/sea package and go to WDW and then the parks. My oldest was 4 at the time and my baby 10 months old. We were going to rent a double stroller for the parks and then bring the Mac Volo for the cruise/airport. I did not want to deal with a double on the ship.

I have a 5, 2 and 1 year old and did a land/sea stay this past February. We rented a double stroller for WDW, it was delivered to our hotel and picked up from our hotel. And I brought our small Chico umbrella stroller that we used in the airport and a little on the cruise for the 1 year old. A side by side will definitely not fit in the hallways. As a PP mentioned, I never went down a hallway without a cleaning cart there...barely enough room for 1 person to walk by. I have one of those pouches that attaches to the handles of the umbrella stroller and it worked great with holding what we needed it to.

I'm an advocate for leaving the stroller at home if you have an ambulatory child and parent on a cruise. The ships, while they are bigger than your house, are not that long!! We are a country of obese and sedentary people and our kids are dealing with health issues previously rarely seen in children. Let them free!!

As a cruiser, you will likely consume far more than 2200 kcal a day and probably could use the heartrate boost by carrying/chasing your little one the average 100 feet from the elevator. As for all the other stuff you think you need to tote, look at your friends with multiple kids - and their normal-sized purses that they carry. They know that you don't need a diaper bag, let alone a vehicle to drag what's important around.

Unencumber yourself and love every minute of it! Think of how most of the world transports their babies and toddlers around. It's not in a stroller. :)

100% agree Thank you for saying it ! :)

Thanks guys! After reading the replies I am not sure if I should even mess with a stroller but if I do it will be the Maclaren. I didn't even think to bring a carrier. A backpack carrier would be perfect. Thank you for all the replies!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter