Stroller....

just wanted to agree with some of the PP. My DDs were 18 months when we took them on their first cruise. The second one was 18 months, and the older was 4 at that time.

Things to consider:
Pro: good at dinner should they fall asleep
helps keep them contained during check-in when you are struggling with
bags
good on excursions right off the ship, without buses and such

Con: very narrow hallways. Even narrower where the airtight door partitions
are and when luggage or host carts are in the hall. A side by side
will definately NOT fit in those halls!
the elevator issue. If you take the lobby elevators, you def. can't put
even 2 people side by side to enter, let alone a stroller! The PP
is right, during peak times, you would have to wait FOREVER to
catch an elevator that has enough room. I know those handicap
scooters end up waiting a long time!
Storage. We have had a deluxe family verandah, that has the extra
space on the end of the room, and It was still tight in that room
with luggage, toys, pack-n-play, etc. They have left notes for us
when we tried to store it on our verandah, saying that nothing can
be left on the verandah due to the fire hazard (cigarettes flicked
over the side on Deck 10 or another stateroom blowing into your
verandah and catching fire)

If you want, you can do the stroller sway with other DIS users and not have to rent the stroller. Or you can leave it in the car for WDW. :confused3 Otherwise, make sure its small and folds compactly or it isn't worth the trouble! Take it from someone who has BTDT!

I'm an advocate for leaving the stroller at home if you have an ambulatory child and parent on a cruise. The ships, while they are bigger than your house, are not that long!! We are a country of obese and sedentary people and our kids are dealing with health issues previously rarely seen in children. Let them free!!

As a cruiser, you will likely consume far more than 2200 kcal a day and probably could use the heartrate boost by carrying/chasing your little one the average 100 feet from the elevator. As for all the other stuff you think you need to tote, look at your friends with multiple kids - and their normal-sized purses that they carry. They know that you don't need a diaper bag, let alone a vehicle to drag what's important around.

Unencumber yourself and love every minute of it! Think of how most of the world transports their babies and toddlers around. It's not in a stroller. :)
Great post. I agree 100000%

I don't recall ever seeing a double side by side stroller on the ship. Will it fit in the hallways? Can no one then pass it?

Exactly. Unfortunately there are often several side-by-sides in the passageways, and I've even seen people PARK them outside of their stateroom door since they cannot easily fit them in the rooms, which is even worse.

Not to start any debates or cause any issues here...the double side by side should fit (depending on its size). Ours is narrower than a standard wheelchair.

Our full intent is to bring it onto the cruise and leave it in the cabin other than the 2 port days (on the 7 night Eastern) so we can get out and walk around a bit with the kids. We won't be renting a car (no car seats).

I had never even 'thought' about bringing it to dinner or anywhere on the ship. We did get 2 side-by-side connecting rooms so will store the stroller in the second one with all our other 'stuff'.

I don't know that there is a perfect solution for any scenario. If we were not going to the parks after, I wouldn't have the double though, that is for sure!

Exactly. Unfortunately there are often several side-by-sides in the passageways, and I've even seen people PARK them outside of their stateroom door since they cannot easily fit them in the rooms, which is even worse.

The best place to park strollers is the bathtub when not in use! :thumbsup2

If you park in the passageway, you may find your stroller removed while you sleep.

What kind of stroller do you take when you cruise? My son will be 22 months when we cruise next and I am trying to figure out which stroller I should bring. I have a Maclaren triumph that is small and easy to fold but it lacks in the storage department and doesn't have cup holders. I also have a graco stroller that has a huge basket and cup holders for both me and baby. I just wonder which would be better to have on the cruise and shore excrusions?

Any info would be great!

we also have a maclaren and ordered the accessory pouch that has more storage and two cup holders. HTH

While I am one who is voting for a no-stroller ship zone, I'd like to add my $0.02.
When our son was small enough for a stroller, we got a Sit & Stroll combo carseat/stroller for travel - which we do a lot. It is the size of a regular kids' car seat & has a handle and wheels that pop out of it to convert to a stroller. The amazed looks that we got when we popped out the wheels & handle and were able to stroll off of a plane, complete with sleeping kiddo still hooked in it was awesome!! A "stuff bag" and sunshade are even available for it!
It would easily store under the desk in the cabin and solve the need for a car seat on busses, rental cars, planes, etc. It is also a great booster seat for restaurants. It is still much more bulky than just bringing a baby sling but allows a bunch of options for baby mobility, especially OFF the ship!

Here's a link to their website;
http://www.lillygold.com/products/sit-n-stroll.html

I have a Maclaren triumph that is small and easy to fold but it lacks in the storage department and doesn't have cup holders.

We've travelled internationally with our Esprit Sun Speed umbrella stroller which I think is quite similar to your Maclaren. I added the Valco universal cup holder (or now they've also got the Bevi Buddy) to accomodate either a drink for Mom or sippy for baby. You could easily clip one to each handle and still fold them in when stroller is compacted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter