Stroller Recommendation for Older Child

RedWhiteandBlugold

Mouseketeer
We will be heading back to DW in 2020, and I'm just trying to plan ahead. My son, who has Down Syndrome, will be 9 when we go. He is currently 60lbs and around 48". Who knows if he will have a growth spurt in the next year. His little sister will be 5 when we visit next year. I am trying to avoid renting a double stroller (it appears he exceeds the weight limit for most of them anyway), since I have no idea how much either will want to be in a stroller. The last time we were at Disney my son loved having the ability to hide in the stroller with the canopy pulled down if he was overwhelmed, or frightened. He also doesn't have a lot of stamina and wanders impulsively so I'm concerned about him walking. Does anyone have suggestions for a rental stroller for a child that is approaching the height and weight limit of the traditional rentals? I'm not sure we want to go with something as large as a push chair, and a lot of those didn't seem to have a canopy that pulls all the way down if he needs it, but the push chairs are the only other option I have seen. I'm hoping the 5 year old will mostly walk, but she will probably need to ride every once in awhile too. Are the ride-on stroller boards still a thing? We don't use a stroller in everyday life anymore so I'm kind of out of the loop. Does adding a stroller board make something like a BOB revolution or City GT too long to take into the park? Any help or suggestions are really appreciated! Thanks!

I believe they don't allow the ride-on stroller boards; they consider that to be "towing" and they don't allow that. there are adaptive strollers for older kids available for rent from outside vendors. we have a convaid; there is a canopy option available for the convaid but i'm not sure it pulls down far enough to meet your needs. you could possibly bring along a small blanket to hang from/drape over the canopy to create his retreat.

The City mini GT single would fit your son, my son is 50inches and uses one for similar purposes. His head is at the limit when sitting in it, but if your son is 2 inches shorter then it should give some good fitment. I believe the weight limit is stated at 65lbs, but it can take a lot more, my wife can be pushed in it! lol... but obviously that is something to look at. I have used the boogie boards before at Disney, in fact I made my own due to the load capacities of the commercially available ones. Unless CM's are now being ultra strict, I have used them and seen them used on every single trip. Even if it was for a cooler in tow etc... Technically they can be interpreted against the rules as being something 'towed'. But personally I've never seen anyone have an issue with it.

Rather than rent, id be tempted to look through craigslist and facebook marketplace for a good condition used one, they can be picked up in great condition for around $100. They are free to stow at the gate if you are flying and then when you get back you can simply sell it for the same price as the market is strong.

Just remember that the City mini GT double is only around 5.5 inches wider than a single so if you go that route you will have options for your other Child. The carry limit on the double is 100lbs and it can take a whole lot more! Wife plus 2 kids! Whether you can push it or not is a different matter ;o)

Kingdom Strollers rents the Liberty special needs stroller. We love it. It's comfy for bigger kids, has a nice canopy (my autistic son needs that, too), and it's comfortable to push. It's a little bulky to fold up and board the buses, not not really worse than a double or other large stroller.

The City mini GT single would fit your son, my son is 50inches and uses one for similar purposes. His head is at the limit when sitting in it, but if your son is 2 inches shorter then it should give some good fitment. I believe the weight limit is stated at 65lbs, but it can take a lot more, my wife can be pushed in it! lol... but obviously that is something to look at. I have used the boogie boards before at Disney, in fact I made my own due to the load capacities of the commercially available ones. Unless CM's are now being ultra strict, I have used them and seen them used on every single trip. Even if it was for a cooler in tow etc... Technically they can be interpreted against the rules as being something 'towed'. But personally I've never seen anyone have an issue with it.

Rather than rent, id be tempted to look through craigslist and facebook marketplace for a good condition used one, they can be picked up in great condition for around $100. They are free to stow at the gate if you are flying and then when you get back you can simply sell it for the same price as the market is strong.

Just remember that the City mini GT double is only around 5.5 inches wider than a single so if you go that route you will have options for your other Child. The carry limit on the double is 100lbs and it can take a whole lot more! Wife plus 2 kids! Whether you can push it or not is a different matter ;o)

Thanks! I didn’t realize the single was almost the same size as the double! Good to know!

We used a McClaren stroller for as long as we could, then did use a companion chair for a few years (they are inexpensive, look at Walmart.com). But not really comfortable. My son has Downs, Autism, and scoliosis among other things. So he would lean forward in that chair, I hated that, he did did not get to see the park sites that he loves. I found a large Convaid 18" on Ebay. They are super expensive, but really they last for decades. A good value once he hit adult size, (he is about 5'8" and 165 pounds). We use it on 2-3 Disney trips a year, and maybe a couple other times like the zoo or a museum. Thankfully, otherwise he walks, but also has the wandering issue, and is non-verbal, with no sense of danger.

We recently bought a different one that is a bit lighter. I think there are other brands too, similar but maybe slightly cheaper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter