Stroller question

Runnergal

Mouseketeer
We will be taking our first ever cruise on the Dream in November with our 4 dc, the youngest ones being a just turned 2yo and a 7mo. We are spending 3 days in WDW before the cruise, so strollers will be necessary for both the little ones. I was planning on bringing my city mini side by side double. But in reading the posts here, it seems elevators are small and side by side strollers aren't recommended. I would bring 2 singles except I only own one- a maclaren triumph. Well, i have another but its a bob jogger and a pain to travel with. Do I bring just the maclaren and rent another single stroller down there? Or will the city mini fit in the elevators? Any suggestions from btdt's would be much appreciated!

City Mini would be very tight to navigate around the ship. When we cruised we brought our double for the parks and our single for the ship (our oldest was big enough to not need one on the ship). We actually left our double at WDW because it would have been way too big for the cruise. If I were you I'd think about buying a cheap single stroller to bring along with your other stroller - maybe an umbrella stroller or something as that would likely be cheaper than renting one.

When our DD was 3, we purchased an umbrella stroller just for the cruise. It was perfect. We could fold it up and put it out of the way in our cabin and we didn't take up to much room anywhere else. Although a crowded elevator was always a challenge. We mostly used it for when we were going off of the ship. The times we used it on the ship it was ok, depending on how full your ship is it could be a challenge with one large, if you can break it up and separate into two strollers it might be better...

The ship's strollers only require a deposit. You don't actually pay for them, so I would get one after you board to use when needed. Onboard avoid midship elevators and if you want to go up from deck 3, get on an empty elevator going down. You will be heading in the right direction very soon. ;) Same things works going down.

What kind of strollers do they have to rent? We'll have an 18 month old when we cruise and we might want to rent one.

What kind of strollers do they have to rent? We'll have an 18 month old when we cruise and we might want to rent one.

I would buy a cheap umbrella stroller for the ship and rent a double at Disney world. That is what we did and it worked out very well.

Did the single City Mini work well, or was that too big as well? We have a Single City Mini and a Maclaren Triumph (I think... the cheaper one) and are debating. The City Mini reclines, has cup holders and is easier to push, but I am wondering if it is too big. I have a 2.5 year old and a 17 month old at cruise time. I am planning on just bringing one single and possibly renting another from the ship for shopping in port, but my 2 year old walks most of the time, so I might just bring the Ergo for the little one as a back up if the older one needs the stroller at some point.

IMO a comfy kid in a stroller that reclines is a happy kid for a nap or otherwise in port. Those umbrella strollers aren't comfortable for a sleeping kid, and that happened to us several times with both kids. We dressed them up for dinner, put them in the stroller [still sleeping] and went to the MDR with them. They slept at the end of the table until they woke up and the server brought their meal out. The kids ate and were ready for the show and the rest of the evening.

I prefer to bring my own stroller, MacLaren, b/c the last thing you need is some cheap umbrella breaking on you. Port travelling can be rough on strollers, you aren't necessarily going to be on well groomed sidewalks; and the reclining ability is priceless after a long, hot day.

We have an almost 2 year old and are cruising next month. This will be her fourth cruise. I typically use a maclaran like stroller for her. On this upcoming cruise we will probably on use the stroller to board the ship and on castaway cay day. Just wanted to add that because she will really probation not use it a whole lot this cruise.

I would bring the MacLaren for the 2yo and wear the 7mo. Do you have an ergo or other baby carrier or know someone who can lend you theirs? I would probably do the same for the parks as well.

A City Mini single would be great, perfect canopies for sun coverage, full recline with flow-through back, folds flat and will fit under the bed. :)

I would bring the MacLaren for the 2yo and wear the 7mo. Do you have an ergo or other baby carrier or know someone who can lend you theirs? I would probably do the same for the parks as well.

ITA. Strollers on ships are a PITA, and DCL ships have a lot of people using strollers. I'd bring a single stroller and wear the baby, you can always have the 2yo walk short distances if the baby needs the stroller.
Personally I wore my DS2 when 2 yrs old, so the single stroller/carrier option would have given us the most flexibility.

The problem with a side by side double stroller is not just the elevators. The passageways are narrow. So going out of your cabin, running into other passengers is always going to be a move out of the way and when the stateroom hosts have their carts in the hallways, that can sometimes be a pain for walking let alone a double stroller. And there are narrow passageways all over the ship not just on the stateroom cabin areas. I would seriously consider leaving the side by side stroller homel

I think this is the best suggestion as well!

ITA. Strollers on ships are a PITA, and DCL ships have a lot of people using strollers. I'd bring a single stroller and wear the baby, you can always have the 2yo walk short distances if the baby needs the stroller.
Personally I wore my DS2 when 2 yrs old, so the single stroller/carrier option would have given us the most flexibility.

This isn't always an option for people if their children are larger. DS was 8 lb 15 oz when born and almost 30 lb at a year. He was taller than most kids his age also.

We had a full size stroller and it was perfect though still hard to navigate, but it's what we needed and we won't use umbrella size ones. I couldn't imagine a double (side by side) though. Getting around will be next to impossible. The elevators are hard enough and as someone else said, you will be wall to wall in the passageways. Where are other people supposed to go to get out of your way or you theirs while trying to go down the hall?? You'll really cheese a bunch of people off with them being forced to literally scrape by.

I'd bring your double for wdw. When you get on the ship you can gage for yourselves how it'll be. You can ask your room steward to store it for you and borrow one or two for ship use if you aren't happy. That way you can also take the double out for shore excilursions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter