Stroller for 6 and 8 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ma2nojo

Mouseketeer
I'm seriously considering renting a double stroller for my 6 and 8 year old to use when exhausted to decrease the whining that I KNOW we will get- even if only for a larger park. I admit, tHis kind of seems a bit old for them but a few years ago we rented a double when they were 4 and 6 and I think I remember the the 6 year old resting in it occasionally when tired. Last time we went in late July and it was sooooooo hot. We are going in early June so maybe it's not so hot. I'm also thinking pushing around a stroller might be nice due to it can carry around our backpacks. The heat was horrible in July and I remember it zapping so much energy out of our kids.

I know this all depends on your children but I would like to know if anyone else has done this. My kids are not lazy by any means but when it's really hot....

I guess the real issue is the whining. My kids will be able to walk the parks but the whining? I'm thinking probably not. I think rest breaks are going to be enforced... and perhaps Tylenol. I know if you've ever been to Disney you've seen families get "Dised out." You know, the cranky whining kids and the mom who looks like she just can't take it anymore. I don't want that to be me!

I did edit this post for clarification.

Well, you are really opening yourself up to . . . at the very least, some major debating and possibly some flaming. For some strange reason kids in strollers are a hot topic around here. :confused3

But, I will answer your question with my own experience.

When dd was 8 we rented a stroller for her. We probably planned a bit more in each day than we should have without really thinking about the size of the parks. Toward the end of the day in MK she was really tired and her legs were hurting a bit. So we rented a stroller for the week (they were cheaper then).

In AK and DHS, it wasn't really necessary but in Epcot and MK it was. We didn't always get the stroller first thing in the morning but would go and hit the big attractions and then get the stroller later.

DD was/is not lazy either. At that time she was playing softball and in cheer. She practiced one or the other every day and any extra time was spent outside playing. She didn't even own a video game system at the time and didn't watch a lot of tv. But MK and Epcot are big places and entail a LOT of walking and/or standing in lines.

Rather than have her exhausted and possibly not enjoying our trip as much as she could have, we opted for the stroller. We actually got a double and the backpack and jackets (it was November) rode with her.

I haven't used a stroller for that age group. When my son, niece and nephew were that age, they walked around the parks. We took a break when they got tired. Some days we would leave the parks. Other days we would just grab a snack and sit for a bit or hit a show. If they were ever just to tired to walk, then we knew it was time to head back to the resort.

I went to DL at that age without a stroller. My kids went to DL starting at age 4 (no stroller) and age 1 (who obviously did need one). I took 4 grandkids last summer (5, 7, 8, 9) and we didn't use a stroller either. We did plan an afternoon rest on each theme park day which helped. The 5 yr old did fall asleep since we were in MK late so we could have used something on one evening. I think over 6 or 7 you would not need a stroller.

My children are pretty fit- participate in sports throughout the years with no weight issues at all. I'm talking about renting a stroller for the larger parks and when they are exhausted while fighting heat,crowds,tour groups, they could pop in it and rest, etc. I wouldn' put them in the stroller for the entire time... now way- they wouldn't do it nor would I expect them too. When you have children who are tired and hot it isn't fun for anyone. :( Perhaps I could find shady rest areas when they get hot and tired- thanks for the idea from the previous poster. We tend to just go and go and go around the parks trying to fit in as much as possible so resting usually doesn't happen.

Perhaps others have children who don't complain- you are sooo lucky. As for "flaming." Whatever...everyone is entitled to their opinion- thank God! I serioulsy don't let negative, not helpful comments bother me- nor should anyone else for that matter. I realize after reading many posts some individuals- thankfully not many tend to leave responses that are meant to incite negativity.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure some parents have intelligent thoughts to share- even if they are opposed to a stroller.

My children are pretty fit- participate in sports throughout the years with no weight issues at all. I'm talking about renting a stroller for the larger parks and when they are exhausted while fighting heat,crowds,tour groups, they could pop in it and rest, etc. I wouldn' put them in the stroller for the entire time... now way- they wouldn't do it nor would I expect them too. When you have children who are tired and hot it isn't fun for anyone. :( Perhaps I could find shady rest areas when they get hot and tired- thanks for the idea from the previous poster. We tend to just go and go and go around the parks trying to fit in as much as possible so resting usually doesn't happen.

Perhaps others have children who don't complain- you are sooo lucky. As for "flaming." Whatever...everyone is entitled to their opinion- thank God! I serioulsy don't let negative, not helpful comments bother me- nor should anyone else for that matter. I realize after reading many posts some individuals- thankfully not many tend to leave responses that are meant to incite negativity.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure some parents have intelligent thoughts to share- even if they are opposed to a stroller.

Don't I wish about the no complaining...My dd is a complainer and SO dramatic. I anticipated the whining well before we went for our first stroller-less trip (our rule was no stroller at WDW after age 5. I NEEDED this rule for me or I'm sure for my own peace I would have had her in it til age 12). I just prepared for it. She knew that once she turned 6 there would be no stroller option, so she wasn't expecting it. And I told her the rules - if there was whining, she would get a warning, if it happened again, we would have the option to sit and rest (either in a show, on a bench, on the train ride or other) or go back to the room - but whining wasn't an option. Of course we encountered SOME whining (I even whine at times when we've been going all day), but it was a reasonable amount and she was a trooper - walking all day.

I think as parent even though it is WAY easier on ME to put her in a stroller now (she's 7 now and would still definitely prefer that I do all the work), I feel that it is my responsiblity to teach her that at a certain age if you want the fun - you have to do the work to get it. And also, that I am not the servant to bring her to the fun while she sits like the queen. And also, that even though you get tired, etc. that whining isn't the answer, you need to learn to deal with it better - by askign for rest time or other. Overall, i've been very pleased. Kids know that if you're serious about returning to the room - they would much rather stay at the park (most of the time at least) and will 'buck up' and do what they need to do.

Honestly when I see too-old kids in strollers I usually hope that they are special needs. I do not worry about obesity as much as I worry about the other things it teaches.

As a small mom, there is no way I'd get a stroller for 6 & 8 yo's because I'd end up exhausted from pushing it! And when mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy :lmao:

....and it was uphill both ways!!!!!!!!!!!
:lmao:

I'm seriously considering renting a double stroller for my 6 and 8 year old to decrease the whining that I KNOW we will get- even if only for a larger park. THis kind of seems a bit old for them but a few years ago we rented a double when they were 4 and 6 and I think I remember the 6 year old resting in it occasionally. Last time we went in late July and it was sooooooo hot. We are going in early June so maybe it's not so hot. I'm also thinking pushing around a stroller might be nice due to it can carry around our backpacks. The heat was horrible in July and I remember it zapping so much energy out of our kids.

I know this all depends on your children but I would like to know if anyone else has done this. My kids are not lazy by any means but when it's really hot....
This is one of those issues where you have to do what is right for you and your kids. There are STRONG opinions on both sides. In such instances it behooves us to remember that opinions are like rear ends. Everybody’s got one and most of them stink.

You are so right about the whining and coming up with better strategies. My daughter is sooo dramatic right now and I hope it's just a phase-it's been a real lesson in patience. I really don't want a stroller and really the crux of the problem is dealing with the whining. Uhggg! I'm just not ready for it. Last time my children were younger and it will probably be different this time. :) I has to be! The heat and humidity will probably be a lot less...right?

Anyway, we will just take breaks and I will have to really be hardcore with ground rules before entering the park. DIsney is supposed to be the happiest place on earth!

Since you asked -- I think a 6 and 8 year old in a stroller is ridiculous (absent special needs, of course).

And I know you said that they aren't lazy, but really that is what it is. And I'm speaking for experience.

I have a 3 year-old and a 1 year-old. When my 3 year-old was 2, she would NEVER use a stroller, she didn't even use one when we took her to Disney at that age. She WALKED. We took it at her pace.

Fast forward, when #2 was born, we received a double stroller as a gift (which initally I thought was unnecessary because #1 never used a stroller anymore) and it did make it so much easier to contain them when going to and from the park or to run errands. Well, now, wouldn't you know it, the 3 year-old WANTS to be in the stroller, especially after playing in the park -- she is tired and she doesn't want to walk; essentially she is being lazy.

So we have started reducing the amount of time that we take our double and just take a single for the baby, so I can reverse this trend.

I get it, it is easier FOR THE PARENTS to have two kids in a stroller. But, you aren't doing your child any favors by permitting this -- especially at 6 or 8.

I for one don't see any problem with having a child use a stroller for the times they are tired. I am not saying, " hey, lazy kid you can ride in this stroller the entire time we are at the parks".. I am saying "for the sanity of myself and your father and for those times during the day when you are tired and whining and cranky, and for those times when we still have stuff to do in the park, i will get a stroller for those times.."..

At 7 1/2 we made my oldest son walk. He kept asking to sit when his brother was out of the stroller. Though mostly later in the day when he was just as tired as we all were. This was in Feb and too cold to swim. We went back to WDW 6 months later and he never once asked to sit down. But that second trip we spent every afternoon in the pool so he never got really tired.

We had a stroller with us all the time for our youngest who was 5. We did not bring the stroller in the mornings, just the late afternoons and by the end of the week he was taking short naps in it.

When we go back this fall the boys will be 6 & 9. I still debate on bringing the stroller. My 6 yr old can be very active and when the crowds get crazy it is nice to have somewhere safe to put him. Especially in the evenings when we like to stroll Epcot. Plus there is DH who is bummed our stroller days are limited. He likes having a stroller to carry stuff, especially his drinks :rotfl:

So anyhow my vote is maybe. Depends on your plans and how you like to tour. Maybe play it by ear and see how it goes.

I for one don't see any problem with having a child use a stroller for the times they are tired. I am not saying, " hey, lazy kid you can ride in this stroller the entire time we are at the parks".. I am saying "for the sanity of myself and your father and for those times during the day when you are tired and whining and cranky, and for those times when we still have stuff to do in the park, i will get a stroller for those times.."..

Honestly, I'm a firm believer in doing what you need to do to get through the day. (Vodka, anyone?;) )We are heading down next month with our 4 & 5 yo DD's and while they typically don't ride in strollers, we are open to renting one *if* it means making the trip more enjoyable for everyone.

Ha! Heck yeah it's easier for the parents! You aren't kidding! I welcome "easy" occasionally- especially at Disney.

Again, you are sooooo lucky that your kiddos don't whine and can walk everywhere and not get tired- especially at 2 or three. If you read my entire post you will see that it's not about the walking or the ability to walk, it's about children getting tired after walking around the larger parks, the crowds, heat, heat, and more heat. If anyone is lucky enough to not have this issue arise- you need to write a book.

So, it's not about lazy, it's about a peaceful trip- if that is possible with kids. I'm pretty sure quite more than a few children get tired when it's hot and people are absolutely everywhere around you, and might complain. If this is misconstrued as lazy, then it is what it is.

Yes, I vote for easy at Disney! :)

Not only do you not need one, but I bet if you talked to the kids about it they would tell you no, that it would be very embarrassing. We took our first trip in early Sept., still VERY hot. Kids were 8 and turning 7 on the trip. We went for over 2 weeks and hit the parks rope drop till close, no breaks in the middle of the day. Several times we even had breakfast reservations an hour before the park opened. One day we were at the parks from 7:30 AM until midnight. I wondered when I was making up the schedule how they would do. We practiced walking for several months leading up to the trip, we would take a couple of mile walks around our subdivision to get everyone ready. I was shocked on the trip, they were both so excited about everything we were doing they never complained about being tired, hot, anything. Everyone had a water mister linked onto the front of their backpack, and they used those whenever they wanted. They both also carried their own backpacks with all their personal snacks, drink bottles, money, etc. and never complained about those either. Give them a chance and they may really surprise you. I went in thinking they would probably crack at some point, but the only tears came when it was time to head home :)

We are going in August with my 6-year-old and 2-year-old and are planning on renting a double. I don't expect my 6-year-old to use it often, but I know there will be times he'll be tired, need a place to sit, etc. Would I rent one for the entire week if both kids were older? I don't know, but I think only you know what will be best for your kids and your family. Who cares how it looks? Really, if someone is judging you based on your kids being in a stroller at Disney, they need to get a life. I detest fanny packs, but know lots of people use them at Disney for ease .... should I judge them for making their lives easier, but being lazy fashion-wise? See how it goes and do what you need to do to make the trip the best possible one for all of you.

nchulka: Great ideas, especially since you have children at the same age. I think I will evaluate this on a day by day basis. I'm pretty sure my ds will just roll with it and object to a stroller at anytime throughout the day but this is his nature. My daughter on the other hand........

Does anyone know what the crowds are like in early June?

DuckMom- I wouldn't rent for the whole week.

We definitely use a double stroller. Sometimes it is just easier to get where we are going if both my boys can ride in the stroller. Also, I found when the park was really crowded , I put them both in the stroller and knew exactly where they were!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!