Stroller for 6 and 8 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. I know. I was reading about views for our 7th trip with our DD to WDW this October with our child and our MIL with terminal cancer but also in part for our 15 day trip to Japan in 3 weeks. I was hoping I would get some recommendations for tiny light weight umbrella strollers. Sadly, I was introduced to the dark side of some and felt the need to comment on this sad state of society. I've been around a while. This thread....don't know what to say.

I have special needs children as well but that doesn't mean I think a healthy 6 and 8 year old need a stroller. I don't give people looks because I truly could care less if they want to push their kids in a stroller til they're 20. Anyway, tiny lightweight strollers already really difficult for older kids. You might try a Maclaren.

I rented a stroller for my kids 4 and 7. The 7 year old did take breaks in the stroller especially if we were in a hurry and wanted to quickly cross the park. The stroller really came in handy during a heavy rain when i was able to put both kids in the stroller covered by a rain cover along with all of our stuff.

No, I would not use a stroller for kids that age. We brought my 7 year old niece summer of 2014, and she walked open to close and did fine. DD will be almost 4 on our next trip and I'm only taking the stroller to hold our cooler of water. We will park the stroller and walk most of the time. If she's tired, then we will take a break, but I'm not having a lazy kid riding in a stroller all day. Any trips after age 4 will be stroller free. Because healthy kids that age can walk fine.

My daughter is 30 and has Down syndrome. She wears shoe splints for extremely flat feet and hates to walk although she is a gold medalist in many special Olympics sports. Once she outgrew a stroller every time we went to the parks it was an endless day of cajoling, pleading, yelling etc at her to hurry up, keep up, stop complaining. I don't believe in threatening without follow through so she and I left early many times when she wouldn't stop. Finally after a few years of this, I convinced my husband to rent her a wheel chair although he wanted her to toughen up. We don't go to parks all that much anymore and tend to do the highlights at several parks in one day. We rent a chair first thing and then can get chairs at orher parks for no additional cost. It has made our lives and hers much more pleasurable. My point? While on the surface a stroller for a 8 year old sounds like you are babying her we don't live with her so if it makes all of your times more pleasureable that's only something you can decide. I will note that with reg kids, although it didn't work with mine, following through just once on the threat to leave the parks unless the whining stops might do the trick. My daughter has missed a few things when she wouldn't stop whatever behsviour was causing a problem which means I have too. But it's all about the follow through or its just allowing bad behavior with no consequences.

I have been in wdw and never been run over by a stroller because I always use a scooter. I'm sorry, but I couldn't help myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter