Stroller for 5 1/2 years old

SpykeYs

Earning My Ears
Hi !

I am an experienced Disney goer but this upcoming March will be my kids first trip to Disney World (3 1/2 and 5 1/2). Everyone I talk to things I am crazy to bring a stroller for my 5 1/2 son saying he is wayyyyy to old for a stroller and I should encourage him to walk. We are planning 8 park days (with resting period back to hotel). I do not see how I can make it through if I don't allow my son to sit to rest or for long walk.

I just needed to vent a bit. I WILL BRING A STROLLER FOR MY 5 1/2 SON!!!

haha :)

Honestly, I'd be hauling a double with those ages. But that's just me.
My friend went for the first time last year and her youngest was about 5, she went stroller less. By the second or third day she caved and was renting in the parks.

Honestly, I'd be hauling a double with those ages. But that's just me.
My friend went for the first time last year and her youngest was about 5, she went stroller less. By the second or third day she caved and was renting in the parks.
I was thinking to bring the 2 x Summer Infant 3D lite we already have to avoid having to rent or purchase new ones.

I was thinking to bring the 2 x Summer Infant 3D lite we already have to avoid having to rent or purchase new ones.
If I googled the right one, it looks pretty small. Less hassle on buses. And you are use to it. Some people buy or rent ones and then realize it doesnt steer well or fold well etc. Looks like a good choice to me. When he is walking, you'll have a handy spot to carry water bottles, jackets, etc.

Hi !

I am an experienced Disney goer but this upcoming March will be my kids first trip to Disney World (3 1/2 and 5 1/2). Everyone I talk to things I am crazy to bring a stroller for my 5 1/2 son saying he is wayyyyy to old for a stroller and I should encourage him to walk. We are planning 8 park days (with resting period back to hotel). I do not see how I can make it through if I don't allow my son to sit to rest or for long walk.

I just needed to vent a bit. I WILL BRING A STROLLER FOR MY 5 1/2 SON!!!

haha :)
Stroller all the way. They and you, are there to have a magical time, not be in spring/basic training trying to prove this or that. You also don't have to use it all the time. Park it in stroller parking and retrieve it when it's time to hustle to your almost missed ADR or genie+ etc, end of the night when they're too tired to walk half a mile, or in crowds where its not safe.

this is the kind of I have brought, depending on airline there is no fee to check them. I use stroller bags and put their swim preservers in the bag with it.

A double. Or at least a sturdy single with a board attached. The problem is if they are both asleep.

Don't feel shame about this. If he will sit in the stroller and allow himself to be shuttled from place to place and you do not mind it, then it will make the experience better for all of you. When kids are tired, they shut down, or act out. This will avoid such behaviors. No problem with it at all.

When we went in August, my son & DIL brought their stroller for my just turned 6 year old GD. Thankfully, they did because a few times she fell asleep in it. Yes, she did walk most of the time but when she got tired it was good they had it. I saw a few older kids in them and I see nothing wrong with it. Disney parks are huge and there is a lot of walking. Go for it!

My daughter didn't use a stroller anywhere after she hit 12 months except at WDW-- not for zoos, other amusement parks etc. She was big for her age and we absolutely used a stroller at WDW when she was 5! I could care less if some other parents looked at us funny because I would take our happy kid looking giant in a stroller over a whiny kid with tired legs and feet any day! We didn't use it as much as when she was younger, but it is very easy to park a stroller at WDW in the area you are in, and then move it with you to another parking spot when you move to a different area of the park. That was the last year she used a stroller and ages 6 and 7 were by far our worst trips because she was too big for the stroller, but didn't have the stamina for all day walking at WDW. She was a high energy kid too. By age 8 she had the stamina to go from open to close and our trips were good again. You are right to use that stroller!

Our kids will be nearly nearly 2 and 5.5 on our last trip and we took the double, and we were glad we did. It's HOT, and even a 5.5 year old has little legs! Our upcoming trip, the kids will be nearly 3 and 6.5.... and we're again taking the double. At 6.5, yes she will walk most of it, but this way she has the option to take a rest or fall asleep in it if we are still out at night and she's just over it. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

You do whatever you and the child are comfortable with, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. My son stopped using one as soon as he could walk and didn't use one at Disney when he was 3. But, he hated them, it was struggle to get him into one and certainly easier for me as a single mom not to try to maneuver one around.

I would rent a double CitiMini at those ages. Not sure what type of stroller you mentioned but I am not a fan of umbrella strollers for Disney. I always wanted a decent reclining stroller with a huge canopy for when they fall asleep.
Your 5yo def won't be the oldest in a stroller you'll see a lot of older kids being pushed around.
Let's face it, its a lot of walking for everyone.
You probably won't need it as much for the 5yo but nothing is worse than a whining tired kid trying to get through crowded Main St traffic after the fireworks.

I rented a BOB Revolution double stroller for my twin kids when they were that age. They didn't need the stroller for at least half of the time but I was grateful to have it when (1) they were hot and tired and (2) I wanted to move around at a fairly brisk walking pace so that we can go on a bunch of rides before the parks got too crowded.

A 5 year old wouldn't need a stroller at home in most instances but WDW is not the same as visiting a local zoo or something. It's a LOT of walking! We still had one this past trip for my 7 year old, and although she walked a lot, we did not regret having one. It will probably be the last time we rent one for her, but at 5 years old, I wouldn't even hesitate.

You are smart, not crazy. Who wants to deal with a cranky kid? A stroller means your child can rest, escape crowds when overwhelmed, get out of the sun and rain, and be contained when crowds are heavy. Strollers are also nice for holding drinks, jackets, etc. I don’t get the stroller hate. Last April we went to WDW with our then 8, 6 1/2 (very petite), and 5 year olds. I got a double citi mini and the 5 year old definitely used the stroller for naps every day - she doesn’t nap at all at home. It was also super handy when we took them to extended evening hours. The 6 1/2 yr old also used the stroller but not quite as much, but again it was great for moving quickly and keeping track of them in crowds. We gave the 8 year old a fit bit to motivate him to walk 😀 but he was jealous of the stroller.

Last edited:
Our 5 yo granddaughter slept for over an hour and half in the stroller. I´m glad we had it.

I have seen WAY too many times how someone caved in to the "X age is too old for a stroller" shame, didn't bring one, and then was scrambling to rent/ obtain one two days into the trip.

My 6 yo trucks all over NYC with zero issue. But those outings are 1 or maybe 2 days. It's not 2-3 days in a row, plus being off of his routine, plus 90 something degree heat and humidity. Plus, when my son is done for the day he is DONE so I promise anyone who plans on side-eyeing my stroller usage that this is just as much for their benefit as it is for his. Having the option to seat him in a stroller in the shade/ AC/ when he has just had it and maybe providing him the opportunity for a nap (or at least me the opportunity to sprint for the bus back to the hotel with him not kicking me and screeching into my eyeballs) by having a stroller ready is cheap insurance for me. Every single kid/ family/ vacation is different.

Opinions like this used to really get to me, until I tried to pay for park tickets with what other people think about my parenting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter