Stroller.. Bring your Own or Rent?

amys

Domestic Engineer
I am getting down to the smaller details now like the stroller. My DD is turning 4 during our stay the first part of May and my DS is 20 months. My DH does not want to haul the double stroller with and I think that we need to have enough space to haul two very tierd children. I would like to know everyones opinion on the strollers for rent and would a single from home be to much of a hassle.

DD is in Disney training of walking at least 3 miles a day at our pace. :confused3

Hi amys. :teeth:
I have been to Disney and have taken a stroller with me each time. My DD then was 2 1/2 on our first trip and 4 the second. My DS was 4 1/2 on first ans 6 on the second. I liked having our own stroller with us for many reasons. The first of course is she got tired and it was easy for her to sleep in a stroller we could adjust for her comfort. 2. We could always spot our stroller when we came out of a ride, it was old and had green on it.lol. 3. If you bring your stroller you don't have to carry the snacks and drinks, If you bring any in. Just put in stroller. Also good for not having to hold a diaper bag. 4. At the end of the night when you have to go back to the buses(which can be a long wait)They can be sleeping. At the end of the day all are tired and you have to give the rented ones back at he gate. 5. The older kids took turns in it sometimes too. Just for a break.

My youngest just turned six and I think I would still take a stroller of my own. Just easier to not have to carry stuff Or kids. :rotfl:

You could also consider a smaller folding one.

Hope this helps. :)

Have a great time and just take the time to enjoy! :cheer2: :goodvibes

We bring our stroller and it is the cheap one you can buy at Wal-mart for about 14.00. It folds really easily and can be put on the Disney buses really quick and easy. We found it easier and more money in our pocket to bring. I find the disney ones are big and awkward to push around all day. Now that's my opinion only.

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

I vote for bringing the strollers from home for all the reasons mentioned in the posts above. Also, we need/use our strollers at the resort too - can't rent strollers there! When the kids fall asleep on the bus ride home, it is nice to just open the stroller after we get off the bus, put them in and let them continue to sleep. We are tired at the end of the day too and carrying two children and all that goes with us to the parks is hard on the arms!!

vote for bringing the strollers from home for all the reasons mentioned in the posts above. Also, we need/use our strollers at the resort too - can't rent strollers there! When the kids fall asleep on the bus ride home, it is nice to just open the stroller after we get off the bus, put them in and let them continue to sleep. We are tired at the end of the day too and carrying two children and all that goes with us to the parks is hard on the arms!!

I NEVER thought about the bus ride back to the hotel!!! You just changed my mind about bringing our own. :) Up until now we were going to rent one. But your point about carrying a sleeping child back to our room changed it. Thanks! :cheer2:

BYO Stroller. Been 5 times over the years, now kids are 4 and 1, and only rented the first time and never again.

Quick question? Probably dumb, but I've never flown to Disney before.
Can you take your stroller on the plane? Even big ones? (large folding Graco) Does it count as part of your max allowed luggage on the plane? Do you get a ME tag for it too? What if I want it after I get off the plane? Do I have to wait until I check in my room and it is delivered, or can I use it already in the airport? Thank you.

We took DS to WDW when he was 18 months and rented a stroller there, and it was fine for us. We didn't have to worry about bringing our stroller on the trip, and it was less to worry about when we got to WDW.

The guidelines WDW has makes it easy, if you lose the stroller, no big deal you get another one, and you can buy a pass and not have to stand in line, but just pick up a stroller everytime you come to a park.

I do see the benefits of bringing your own, but for us the pluses of renting one out weighed the other.

DW princess: DS (3) :tigger: & me pluto:

Rented double strollers last year and it was expensive for the convenience IMHO. We were staying at the Poly and, on late nights, missed having a stroller to get from the park exit to the bus, monorail, rental car, etc. and then back to our longhouse at the Poly.

This year, we brought our Peg Perego Pliko stroller. It is umbrella-style with a platform in the back that another child can stand on when they are too tired to walk. Much, much better.

Side benefit to bringing your own stoller is that, if the CMs move them on you while you are on the ride...sometimes to a different area altogether, it is a LOT easier to find them afterwards.

For kids as young as yours I agree that bringing your own is best for the children. It's especially great if you intend to drive into the parks. Having your own can be a pain when getting on and on buses, but unless carrying a tired child is in your plans I'd rent.

I will admit that now I rent. I started renting last year when the boys hit 5 & 6 because I figured at that age they could walk back to the car. If was fine for the 6 year old but we carried the 5 year old out every night....ugh....

Have a great trip!

Personally we preferred renting the during our last 2 visits to WDW. If you purchase a "length of stay" rental, you will receive a discount(we pd about $8/day with 7-day length of stay for single vs $10 if you rented daily) and once you pay the 1st time, you walk to the front of the line to get your rental pass stamped and pick up your stroller with little or no wait.

Although different parks have different strollers, we also liked the idea of using it to hang our snack backpack and a place to store the extra sweatshirt/jacket/towel/poncho, etc that you may need(depending on what time of year you go, of course). My kids are 5 and 8, and we even paid the extra for a double one day when we knew we would be at MK all day and sure enough, the 8 yr old was crawling in for rides as the day went on and even watched the fireworks snuggling next to his sister(she was not too enthused about it but she learned to adjust!!)

Also, as an aside to Noahynav, you can check with your airline regarding their baggage policy on checked strollers. In the past we used our stroller right up to the gate, then asked to have it checked there(they will get it on the plane and if you request should have it waiting for you at your next gate).

Finally, as many people have pointed out, WDW CM's are notorious for rearranging strollers parked outside a ride/attraction/show or even some restaurants(case in point, Kilimanjaro Safaris at AK)...so you want to do something to your stroller to make it stand out from the others. Some suggest tying a bright piece of material around the handle or attaching the cheap snap glow sticks to locate it easily at night. Even if you bring one from home, or pick one up at Wal-mart on 192 before you get there, there might be many others that look just like yours...

Just some thoughts from one who has done both the hauling from home and renting from the parks. :cool1:

The first time I took my son (he was 16 months old), I brought a stroller. After the hassle of day one, having to close it up to get on & off buses & such, I decided to leave it at the hotel and rent. For the remainder of that trip and all future trips while he was young, I always rented one in the parks. It is definitely personal preference, but I liked renting.

noahynav

you will do what is called a gate check with your stroller. Most airlines do NOT count it against your luggage limit. You can take the stroller thru the airport right to the airplane door (at check in ask for a gate check tag) The gate check tag will have a place to indicate check to connecting gate ( check this if you have a layover & want the stroller to make a connection) or final destination. When you come off of the airplane the stroller will be waiting at the door (not baggage claim). **the gate check tags have a place to sign indicating they are NOT responsible for previous damage. If your stroller is not damaged when you check in write "NO PREVIOUS DAMAGE" It also helps to fold the stroller, most baggage handlers will close the stroller by any means which leads to damage.

Only use a ME tag if you do not need/want the stroller until all of your luggage arrives at the hotel room. If you use a ME tag you will have to check the stroller at check in and will not have it to use in the airport.

We take ours along, mainly to save the $$ when we get there, but also to have them when not at the parks. We've got a pair of the "heavy duty" umbrella strollers with the Jeep logo on them. Not sure where we got them, but they were like $18 each, and they're about to make their third trip to WDW this summer.

For your situation, I'd probably buy two cheap umbrella strollers. You can wheel it right up to the gate at the airport. You won't care if they get damaged. If you can get two for under $30-40 you'll save vs. renting a double for three days.
I would not bring a huge double from home. They are a pain at the airport, shuttles, etc.
Even though your oldest is walking a lot, I'd have a stroller for each. Aside from the physical challenge of walking, all of the emotion and excitement of Disney, will be draining. Especially after a few days.
Have fun...
~Matt

We rented one through www.abbf.com - they deliver it right to your hotel at Disney. I was there last when my daughter was 13 months and my son had just turned 5. I knew his legs would get tired eventually so we got a sit/stand stroller through them and it worked great!! Just a thought!

Shelby

According to the disney credit card if you have that you can get up to 2 free stroller rentals per day per card. I know its not much, but every little bit you can save helps.

Whoops. Meant to say I've never used my disney c/c I just keep it to take with me for the free stroller rentals, discounts, character thingies, etc, etc.

I never heard about the free stroller rental with the Disney credit card. Do you have more information or know where I can find out more?

Thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter