• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stroller as wheelchair on WDW buses and Magical Express?

graygables

<font color=blue>Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K P
6yo DD uses a stroller as a wheelchair (bipolar/chronic fatigue) and in the past, it's been a smaller, manageable one. She's had a growth spurt, so we had to upgrade to a bigger jogger. Our last visit, we had a rental car, but our next, I'd like to use Disney transportation. I have a card that I carry that explains it and I always get her a GAC, but does anyone have any experience with using a stroller on a bus? She is able to board as long as there's somewhere to sit, but folding this stroller is a nightmare. Thanks for any info!

The problem with using most strollers as wheelchairs on transportation is that strollers generally lack appropriate tie-down locations, so they can't be safely secured while the vehicle is in motion.

SyracuseWolvrine said:
The problem with using most strollers as wheelchairs on transportation is that strollers generally lack appropriate tie-down locations, so they can't be safely secured while the vehicle is in motion.
::yes::
Check with the manufacturer of your special needs stroller to see if it is certified for use during transport. There are a few that are (but I don't think the jogging stroller type are). If it is OK to use for tranport, the manufacturer will also have designated the safe points to attach tiedowns. I suggest people mark those with some kind of bright tape - it's much easier to say to the bus driver that he/she can attach to any of the areas with red tape.
If the stroller is not approved for use during transport, the stroller could be damaged (mostly bent) if tied down and would not be strong enough for safety for riding in on the bus.

We do get situations like this all the time. Just explain to the driver that the stroller is being used as a wheelchair. The driver will secure the stroller/wheelchair as any other wheelchair, HOWEVER, the child will need to take a regular seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter