Stroller advice for "older" kids

Question for renting in the parks. Do you have to go back to the front area to rent? What time do you have to return by?
I'm worried she will get tired mid Epcot showcase and then we will have to go all the way back to the main gate to get a stroller which would be annoying.
We sold all of our strollers over the summer because she was way too big for them so I think she will be okay. If she is tired, we can go back to our hotel.

Unless this has changed recently, you can get one at the International Gatway entrance in World Showcase. Had to use it once when DS was fading half-way around F&W and daddy wanted to keep going! :-)

On one of our trips our DDs were 6.5 and 2.5 and I wanted to bring our large Peg Perego and our Nice Maclaren umbrella. DH wasn't on board with bringing a stroller for our oldest. It was a 9 night trip. Good thing we did! She got sick and there was no way she would have been able to walk all those park days. Both girls fell asleep many times and that allowed DH and I time to sit and talk on a bench while they napped leaning back in their strollers. Except for our DD getting sick, it was our best and most memorable trip.

I don't know many little kids who can walk for 6-15 miles per day. My vote is always for taking the strollers!

Next month, we'll have a not really active 6 years old and a 18 months old. We have this stroller that fits both, so we'll bring that and a baby carrier to give our 6yo a break.

3dlite_stroller.jpg

If you are the kind to take a midday break I would not bring a stroller, but if you are like us and stay from open to close in a park, I'd bring one and have the kids take turn. We did it last summer with my niece and nephew, and it helped the kids (5, 5 and 7 yo) stay awake and happy! My sister-and-law went to another park with her 2 kids without the stroller one day and the kids were very tired earlier then with the stroller.
We have this stroller and love it!!

When we went in June DD1 was 6 and DD2 was not-quite 4. We took our regular stroller, but totally regretted it. The days we had it we just parked it (and then invariably left it, and had to come traipsing back across the park later to pick it up). After a couple of days we just left it back at the hotel. Not worth the bother. A few times DD2 would have liked it, but she was fine. I won't be bringing it this time.

We rented a Citi Mini GT from Orlando Stroller Rental the last time we went when my boys were 4 and 7. It was great. They could lay down if they wanted to and we could push it right onto the monorail.

We just returned from our trip with 3 DGD's, 6, 8, and 11. We didn't think we'd need a stroller as the 6 y/o hasn't used one since she was 3, but she did. So we rented a double at the parks and used it for our coats and packages, also. She actually ended up falling asleep in the stroller pretty often.

I would bring an umbrella stroller if you want to do World Showcase. I think a double is unnecessary, they can take turns. My exception to this would be if you plan to stay in the parks really late. We took my 5yo and 3yo last year, and they did fine walking, but we didn't push bedtime at all. We did rope drop to 4-ish most days, then dinner, relaxing and bed.

My almost-4-year-old won't be caught dead in a stroller any more (she says they're "for babies") so we won't be bringing one this summer. On our last two trips we had a Citi Mini and my older DD did ride in it some (she was 5 & 6), but since the younger one is so against them I'm not bothering this year. We'll go slow & take breaks, and she's light so I can still carry her a bit if needed. We also live in NYC so my kids are used to walking a lot on a daily basis; I think that makes a big difference.

Pretty much everything I read says that strollers are a "must have" for the 8 and under set. The question is what should we do based on the following:

Don't listen to the people that say kids under 8 must have a stroller! They are the same people who say you need to pack for the Apocalypse each day...

We brought cheapo umbrella strollers for our 5 and 7 year olds. They used them, especially at night and it definitely was a life saver once they get tired. I'm in the kids under 8 would probably benefit from strollers camp and I definitely don't pack for the apocalypse or run to buy batteries, canned goods, etc when there's a snow storm. I just know my kids and therefore the adults will enjoy everything more if the kids can rest when they're tired.

We rent one at Disney. Our youngest will be 7 this year, but he's little (he was a preemie), and he gets tired! Pretty sure I'll find my 10 year old in that stroller at least once. haha! Part of it is pure selfishness on my part. My shoulders hate having a bag on them all day, so I can put my bag/camera in the stroller too.

When our daughter was 4, we brought an umbrella for her and used it quite a bit when we needed to get somewhere quick (like at rope drop) and her little legs couldn't keep up or when she got tired. She hadn't napped since she was 2, but she napped every day at Disney. We went again when she was 6 and we didn't bring a stroller, but rented a Disney stroller on a couple of our longer days when we wanted to keep going, but she was too tired.

Unless you think they'll be fighting over it, I would bring the umbrella stroller for your littlest one and if they both get tired or you're having a really long day, you can just rent a Disney double stroller for that day if that's an option. Hope you have a GREAT trip!

If they are used to doing long days walking I would either skip or toss in an unbrella stroller in the trunk to have just in case. If you need to rent one at the parks just on days that you need it. That said when we went my brother was all my kids ( 4.5 and almost 7) are not going to need a stroller they have hiked all over Yellowstone including down into the Canyon ( no back country hiking though just in the areas you park and walk to see a site). Day 1 MK both kids did fine no stroller needed, Day 2 AK again not needed Day 3 Epcot Stroller was rented for 4.5 year old almost 7 was dragging and even took a time in our rented from an outside agency stroller when both our barely 5 year old ( who rode when sister wanted to walk a bit) and 2 year old were both spending some time walking for about 30-45 minutes. Day 4 HS no stroller Day 5 SeaWorld I had our second stroller with us ( too much of a hassle to fold 2 for the buses and we had nice joggers we rented) since we drove over in a rental car and could set them up and leave them till time to go back to our resort. Brother rented a double that day. Day 6 EP and Day 7 MK both these days by the afternoon a double stroller was needed. After we got home my brother asked me how much I paid for my stollers and I paid less for 2 nice joggers, a box of toys ( useful in the morning when getting ready because one could play while I did the other's hair and then both could play while I braided mine up for the day. DH is good about helping brush but beyond putting clips in forget it on styling and my sister did not seem to show up to help braid little girls long hair. We also rented an inflatible mattress for 2 year old who is still a larger child for her age and a pack in play would not work-She never slept on it as she would only fall asleep being placed in her PJs, stuffed friend tucked in beside her, and covered with a blanket from home in the stroller and then you went for a long walk around the resort until she was asleep for about 20 minutes. Do not remove from stroller of you got to start the whole process all over. ( Anyone who was a CBR late Jan 10 we were that family). We payed less for everything for the week than my brother did for all his in park rentals. His comment when he found out. I am going to kick myself. My advice if you plan to rent one or even if your not sure is to have the information for 2-3 local places and have them deliver to you. If I had to do it again I would have requested the second single jogger to be delivered the day before we went to SeaWorld with pick up the following day to save the money.

My family doesn't normally split up with the need for two strollers, so we always bring my Mac double. If I were you, and was pretty much done with strollers at home, I'd look into selling the ones I had and just buying a smaller, more travel friendly double for the trip and then keeping it for vacations until I knew I was COMPLETELY done with strollers for certain. :) My kids could totally walk Disney from age 4 on, they're very active and we live on a farm so they run around like crazy all day long every day. BUT, Disney has so many other factors that wear them out. Even my older ones chill in the stroller sometimes. Plus, we like to have room to pack some things into the park.

These threads are ... amusing!
I'll be honest. Our last trip my youngest were 3 and 5. Neither wanted the stroller.
Only reason we had it was for our junk!
I had collapsible cooler in the basket under the seat. The seat had my purchases, I simply ran the seat belt through the handles on the bag.
The drink holders were the most amazing part! Lol

I would just bring the one umbrella stroller. They can take turns riding in it if they need to. I'm not a huge advocate of kids over 5 riding in strollers, unless there are special needs I just don't think it's necessary. However that's my opinion and you need to do whatever you are comfortable with.

Our DCs are 4.5 & 6 and we haven't used a stroller in months/close to a year. Our kids walk daily and are reasonably active. They are used to walking decent amounts (large zoos, large outdoor events etc) without strollers. That said, at times our 4.5 yr does get tired & can be slow.

Pretty much everything I read says that strollers are a "must have" for the 8 and under set. The question is what should we do based on the following:

1) we will be driving & think we are ok storage space wise if we need to bring a large stroller
2) our main stroller was an UppaBaby Vista--we also have the booggie board and second seat (though this would likely be too tight). This has a ton of storage space, and no need to worry about tipping over if kid is out of it if we have things in it. Kind of a pain to fold though.
3) also have 2 umbrella strollers--one "high quality" and the other the $15 kind
4) another option is a "push bike" with a stand on the back, this doesn't fold
5) staying on site (poly) so main consideration is dealing on monorail etc
6) Five days in parks--so far MK & Epcot

Any tips about what to bring or rent.
When are you going on your trip?

Its one thing if you're going when its dry with nice breezes and temperatures in the lower 70s. Its a whole different thing with oppressive humidity and afternoon temperatures in the upper 90s in the summer.

My kids haven't used strollers in regular life for 3+ years. On our past two mid-August Disney trips a stroller was a necessity. We stayed at the Poly last summer and bit the bullet and rented a double from Disney. We only needed it for getting around the parks, and it was nice not having to deal with it on buses, boats, and monorails. It worked out great for us.

We rented a city mini last time we went. DD was 6 and as it was our first trip to WDW we thought it best to have it. She didn't use it much but was nice to have when needed. This year we aren't renting a stroller as DD will be turning 8 and her endurance is much better. we don't have a lightening fast pace as I have CP and walk quite slow, but can go for distance. It will be our first stroller free trip since DD was born.

bring the stroller from home and try your first day without it, if you see your kids can't handle the walk you have the stroller if needed next day, I prefer the umbrella than the doubles done both and doubles are not easy to cruise with a crowd, and umbrellas are very easy to fold and store

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!