Stroller advice for "older" kids

saavyplanner

Earning My Ears
Our DCs are 4.5 & 6 and we haven't used a stroller in months/close to a year. Our kids walk daily and are reasonably active. They are used to walking decent amounts (large zoos, large outdoor events etc) without strollers. That said, at times our 4.5 yr does get tired & can be slow.

Pretty much everything I read says that strollers are a "must have" for the 8 and under set. The question is what should we do based on the following:

1) we will be driving & think we are ok storage space wise if we need to bring a large stroller
2) our main stroller was an UppaBaby Vista--we also have the booggie board and second seat (though this would likely be too tight). This has a ton of storage space, and no need to worry about tipping over if kid is out of it if we have things in it. Kind of a pain to fold though.
3) also have 2 umbrella strollers--one "high quality" and the other the $15 kind
4) another option is a "push bike" with a stand on the back, this doesn't fold
5) staying on site (poly) so main consideration is dealing on monorail etc
6) Five days in parks--so far MK & Epcot

Any tips about what to bring or rent.

Thanks!

I don't believe you can bring a push bike.

I would bring a double. My daughter was 7 last time we went, and she hadn't used a stroller in at least 3 years, and she was whining about walking on day 2. It is a LOT of walking, and I think it is just better to have it.... you will have a lot more enjoyable time if everyone is not tired and crabby from walking.

It doesn't look like, from your list, you have a double stroller... so I would do whatever one works best for the two kids, whether it be a boogie board or what... I would not bring 2 strollers, I find that to be a hassle... some people like it... I do not.

If I were you, I would buy a new or used double umbrella, I feel like it is the most versatile for Disney dealing with walking and busing.... even if you are on the monorail, you have to take a bus to Animal Kingdom or Hollywood studios... unless you are skipping those parks.

I wouldn't bother, frankly. Just slow down and go at your kid's pace. If you have been stroller free in your regular life, why go back to using one? My kids were stroller free at Disney parks by ages 4 & 6. Sure they got tired every once in awhile, we all did. My kids have Autism and the youngest has low tone and stamina issues but even then was fine just walking everywhere.

I honestly think it is nonsense to say that strollers are a "must for kids under 8." By 8, I can't even think of any strollers that a kid would fit into. My kids were small and by 5, they were pushing the limit of the stroller.

The umbrella likely won't work well for the 6yo, so I'd plan to maybe bring the good umbrella for the little one and you could rent one for the 6yo if he needs it. That's IF you think he would be opposed to the stroller at all. They could trade off with the 1, too.

But if you're absolutely sure the older one will want to be in the stroller (like my 6yo did - he LOVED being pushed and not having to walk!) I'd look into renting a double stroller - we rented the citi mini GT double last fall for our almost 2 and 6 year olds and it was awesome. Easy to push and fold for the busses, comfortable enough for the little one to nap well in, and big enough for the 6yo. We will be renting the same this year and the kids will be almost 3 and 7.

Disney is huge. It's exhausting for me by the end of the day. There is NO shame in putting your older kid in a stroller if they are cool with it. Seriously. If it will make the vacation easier and less stressful for everyone do it. I loved being able to pile the kids in ours and not have to worry about wandering or getting trampled.

Every family has to do what works for them, however...

We waited a year and went stroller-less (with 5 and 8 year olds). It was great! My BIL/SIL joined us at the end of the trip with 4 year old niece, and I was so annoyed by their stroller within an hour...the maneuvering and parking, ugh!

Next month, we'll have a not really active 6 years old and a 18 months old. We have this stroller that fits both, so we'll bring that and a baby carrier to give our 6yo a break.

3dlite_stroller.jpg

If you are the kind to take a midday break I would not bring a stroller, but if you are like us and stay from open to close in a park, I'd bring one and have the kids take turn. We did it last summer with my niece and nephew, and it helped the kids (5, 5 and 7 yo) stay awake and happy! My sister-and-law went to another park with her 2 kids without the stroller one day and the kids were very tired earlier then with the stroller.

We're going with our 4 and 7 year old in a few months and bringing one stroller. When we went last time, they were 2.5 and 6 and we only brought one stroller. The 6 year old rode in it occasionally, but we definitely didn't need two strollers or a double stroller.
Given the choices you listed, for my family, I would bring the quality umbrella stroller and that's it.

ETA: There's no shame in a stroller for an older kid, but you know your family best - definitely don't bring something just because "everyone says" 8 year olds need a stroller.

The last time we took strollers the kids were 4 and just turned 7. We took 2 strollers. One was a cheap umbrella stroller (when using 2 strollers the 4 year old used this one) and the second was our MacClaren Volo that we had bought for a Disney trip when my oldest was 19 months. We loved the Volo for Disney. It was so easy to fold and unfold. It holds up to 55 lbs so that is the one the 7 year old used when he needed to and yes, he did want to use it. It was June so HOT. Last time we went the kids were 9 and 6 so no strollers and the 6 year old did just fine.

From reading the boards, it seems like 5 is the age where half the kids still need then and half don't. There are several 4 year olds who don't need them - though I would advise taking one for most 4 year olds. None of my kids needed one at 6. (Only one needed it at 5 and it was due to his sensory issues). There are some kids who need them at 8, but it's not at all common. You do what works for your kids. It sounds like your kids aren't used to strollers and do fine without normally. I'd just take a single.

Personally, I would take one stroller and see how it goes. I think the 6 year old should be just fine. I imagine it has been years since he/she used a stroller.

I would pack a single stroller (since you are driving) and have it in case the 4 year old needs it, but see how it goes without. That really is an age where they are kind of right on the cusp.

I think I am in the minority here, but I think strollers are a pain.

I took my second trip at age 5 and had NO stroller. I wasn't using strollers anywhere at that point; the stroller was safely in the attic before my fifth birthday.

The best thing to do is to bulk up your kids' stamina if that is a concern. Take them to the mall, the park, or wherever is easiest and just go for a walk.

I took my son the first time when he was just shy of 3 and we did not take a stroller. We were staying on site (back then Shades of Green was a WDW resort so that was where we were staying) so if he got too tired/cranky/typical pain in the rear toddler, we would just take a break and head back to the resort. I think once or twice mid day I went up front and rented a WDW stroller because he wasn't being cranky and having fun but showing signs of needing a short nap and rest and I knew going back to the resort would have caused a melt down. He did fine walking but he hated strollers and I actually had to do a lot of coaxing to get him to sit in one the few times I rented it. It isn't a hard and fast rule and you know your kids. I'd say if they don't use strollers, don't take one and try it for day one. If it doesn't seem to be going well, buy one of the cheap ones they sell there or rent one that way there is no issue of getting one and off buses and monorails.

We dropped the stroller for DS at 5, maybe even late 4's, and it was liberating! I was in the camp of I'd use the stroller for him as long as possible but found we really didn't need it. We slowed down, enjoyed the sights/sounds, relaxed more. I'd carry him occasionally mainly just to preserve his stamina. We're not commandos and tend to just be in a park for 1-4 hours, if that, so no stroller works just fine.

One option is to rent a stroller at the park and avoid the hassle of traveling with it. I rented one for DS this past trip (a few weeks ago) one day at Epcot, mainly because it was very hot (eg, 96) and DS does start to whine about all the walking in World Showcase after awhile. Not that I let him dictate the schedule but it was worth it to squeeze a bit more time out of WS. He's 6 now and looked silly in the Disney single stroller, but heck, it worked! :-)

Just us personally, but our YDD is super tiny and she never needed a stroller when she was 4.

We plan on using a stroller for DS until he's about 3.

That seems to be our cutoff, but we'll see.

Do what's right for YOUR family, not for the other families on the Dis.

I would think that your 2 umbrella strollers would fit the bill nicely. That way, if you need to split up, it's more doable.

Another consideration is that a stroller can be a place to put your stuff! That was the deciding factor for us. We are renting a double with a good amount of storage for our 4 and 7 year old in October. The 4 year old rarely uses a stroller at home and the 7 year old (small, he weighs 46 pounds) hasn't used one since our last Disney trip 2 years ago.

I don't want to carry a backpack around in the Florida heat, but with 3 kids, we're also not minimalists when walking around the parks. We always seem to have a lot of stuff.

Not sure who is saying a stroller for 8 and under is a must, because it isn't. We started going when my youngest was 4, and never needed a stroller. You know your kids, if you think they will need a stroller, bring one, if you think you don't need one, don't bring one and worst case you can rent one.
If I was going to bring one, I'd bring a single umbrella stroller but its for selfish reasons. I would not want to push around 2 kids that age in a stroller. Too much work for me then I'd need a stroller :)

Another consideration is that a stroller can be a place to put your stuff! That was the deciding factor for us. We are renting a double with a good amount of storage for our 4 and 7 year old in October. The 4 year old rarely uses a stroller at home and the 7 year old (small, he weighs 46 pounds) hasn't used one since our last Disney trip 2 years ago.

I don't want to carry a backpack around in the Florida heat, but with 3 kids, we're also not minimalists when walking around the parks. We always seem to have a lot of stuff.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be SAD when I won't be able to justify bringing a stroller anymore! ;) I love just keeping a very small bags with money and camera (I never have pockets!) and leaving everything else behind. This way we can have a light coat for the night or a poncho in case of rain, we can bring juice for the kids, water bottles, snacks, glow sticks, souvenirs and etc.!

Question for renting in the parks. Do you have to go back to the front area to rent? What time do you have to return by?
I'm worried she will get tired mid Epcot showcase and then we will have to go all the way back to the main gate to get a stroller which would be annoying.
We sold all of our strollers over the summer because she was way too big for them so I think she will be okay. If she is tired, we can go back to our hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter