Strange Conversation with Member Services

ArRzrbk

<font color=red>The Greatest Thing You Can Learn i
Hello all,

I just finished a very strange conversation with Member Services. I was trying to check availability. They told me if I booked right now they would be able to "check" to see if they could reserve my room for the nights requested. If I didn't book right now, they would just have to tell me the resort was booked.

I know - very confusing :confused: Sorry I can't explain what happened better, but I am not even sure myself. The person was very cryptic on the phone, and I asked her several times to clarify what she was telling me, and I am still not sure I got it. At least I hope I didn't get it, because I don't like what I am thinking was going on - checking for someone who wasn't sure wasn't worth the time.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this standard proceedure? If it is standard, I don't think it is fair at all. I am the type of person who thinks about things a great deal before committing. I didn't like being forced to decide right then. And I do understand if my waiting costs me a room, but I should at least be able to find out if there is a room available before I decide about my vacation plans or the plans of one of my renters.

Thanks for any insight you can give here.

Char

That is intersting....I have never had that happen to me, and I have called up a few times doing the same thing....maybe it was just the individual having a bad day....it happens

Call back and speak to someone else. You have to be able to check availability. I called last week and had no problems checking availability, and then called and reserved our room 3 or 4 days later.

Were you by any chance checking on something less than 60 days away?

I think that MS can sometimes snag rooms for members that are supposed to go for cash if it's fairly close to the arrival date. Possibly the CM knew that there were some rooms that "fit the bill" in CRO's inventory if he/she called right away. Maybe the CMs don't like to go through that process unless the member is ready to reserve. Remember, Disney just released AP discounts for September, so any cash inventory will likely go quickly.

Anyway, it's just my theory - it may not be correcrt, but it does offer an explanation for that strange conversation!

Best wishes -

P.S. If my theory is correct, members aren't really entitled to those rooms - it's just someting nice that the CM could do for a member who really wanted a particular time at the last minute when all the points inventory are reserved.

I wonder if this is what happened to me. When I inquired about availibility to reserve 5 weeks ahead at BCV, the CM said there was a very slim possibility she could get the accomodation, she put me on hold for a long time and when she came back said , "We got it !" That was 5 weeks ago, we'll be there in 48 hours !!

I don't understand--were you calling just to pass the time of day, or were you calling to make reservations? It sounds like you just wanted to know if a room were available, but you were not planning on going then, you were just curious. Surely I misunderstood-- I couldn't get thru to actually MAKE my ressies today, and I hope all those people weren't just calling to chat:mad:

I can see member services point, why check, if you are not going to make a reservation. They may have you flagged for being a pain also. Most people call Ms to make reservations, not play make believe. Just one more reason people have to wait to make a reservation when they call. What next!!

This makes perfect sense to me. I have called a couple times and been told, "there is no current availability, however, if you wish to make a reservation for that day I can put you on hold and see what I can do." Between developer inventory, rooms that have not yet been released, CRO inventory, they often can get a room that is not showing as available. This, as someone else said, is often the case inside the 60 day mark when the inventory is released to CRO.

I've done what * I think* the OP was trying to do. For instance, DH & I want to get a way. So, we start checking the calendar and then check MS to see if there is any availablity at say, VB, for a paticular weekend. If there is no way we can get in, then there is no point in us planning the impromptu vacation any further. So, I call to check for availabilty NOT to chat. I may not be able to book right at that moment as we need to finalize a few more things before we can definately proceed but it was still a call that was legit.

Kristen :earsgirl:

I am confused also. I have never had this happen. I am always able to "check dates".

Here is my question, how can you "book" before you know the date is available? The way MS computer sytem is set up, they cannot book you until they have entered a date into the computer.

Pa@OKW.....I really hope that MS does not FLAG "pains" and then brushes them off. That is a scary thought.

I did just that - - about a week ago we talked about going over New Years. We did not care where we stayed. So, I called MS and asked them what was available, she checked each resort and let me know what was available (resort and room wise) and what was not. I did not reserve anything at that time. I called back about an hour or two later and made the reservations. Both were very helpful. I think it depends on who you talk too.

I just checked a 1BR at VWL and BWV for every wed and thursday in september and october, then booked the a day later the 2nd week of october after talking with the family. They were very helpful and had no problem checking these for nothing-at the time.

I've called just to check availability a few times. We did it for this summer's trip. We could go any time over a two week period in August. We called to check availability during two different periods. I thanked her, got off the phone, and got online checking different airline possibilities. I also called 407-wdisney to check what kind of weekend rate I could get with my AP. Then I talked to my hubby, told him what was available at what price, and we made our decision. I called back everyone the next day and booked.

I certainly don't feel I was wasting anybody's time! There was no way to know whether I could book WLV for six nights, and the weekend nights in WLV with an AP rate, and get a cheap flight without talking to everyone first!

I guess some people do call disney (esp. the wdisney number) just to think about fantasy vacations, but DVC is different. They don't talk to you unless you're a member. And if you're a member then you have points to use or lose--no fantasy there.

Jenny

Originally posted by CarolMN
Maybe the CMs don't like to go through that process unless the member is ready to reserve.

Remember, Disney just released AP discounts for September, so any cash inventory will likely go quickly.

It should be irrelevant what CM's "LIKE" to do. They would probably "LIKE" to go outside and smoke or go to a bar and have a drink or go fishing or to the mall... They should do what they're SUPPOSED to do and be polite about it!!

If they're supposed to check for the member, then they should check.

I just called to change a reservation at HHI and asked about availability the following week and the CM politely checked for me. She told me two of the three nights were available. When I told her I wanted to book the two nights and wait-list the third, she said "Let me see if I can shuffle some inventory around for you."

I've never had a bad, or even mediocre experience with MS. They've always been excellent.

BTW: are there AP discounts for the DVC resort "cash" rooms?

I called last Thursday for availability for the end of August. I had no problem with MS getting the information that I was looking for.

I pay cash as well for my stays and call for availability through the CRO. Like everyone else I also have to check airline availability and discuss options with DH. It takes a call or two to get everything all set.

I have a feeling today was a crazy and stressful day for the CMs.

I called but my nice CM put me on hold to check the dates- before he put me on hold he did ask if I was just checking or if I absolutely wanted those dates if he could make it happen. I got the impression that he left for another desk and he would lock in those dates with my account before he returned to his phone.

He told me he did some juggling but couldnt get my first date. I dont think he would have done that (and I wouldnt expect him to) if I was not 100% sure I would take them.

Unless it's within 60 days this makes no sense.

CarolMN, while the units may be taken for rentals, that's not the same as members not being entitled. Actually if a points unit is available, they can reclaim it from CRO and the resort.

Originally posted by Dean
Unless it's within 60 days this makes no sense.

CarolMN, while the units may be taken for rentals, that's not the same as members not being entitled. Actually if a points unit is available, they can reclaim it from CRO and the resort.

I agree with you about the points inventory that is "shared" with CRO at 60 days. However, while it's just my opinion, I believe it is sometimes possible for a CM to "reclaim" legitimate cash/developer's inventory at the last minute and those are the rooms that I don't think members are "entitiled" to.

To One More Try - FWIW, While I would certainly expect the CM to carefully check the DVC points inventory upon request, I don't think a CM should have to go out of his/her way in this particular manner (see above) for someone "just checking" - especially since it is very unlikely that the room will still be there when the member finally makes up his/her mind. JMHO. YMMV.

Originally posted by CarolMN
To One More Try - FWIW, While I would certainly expect the CM to carefully check the DVC points inventory upon request, I don't think a CM should have to go out of his/her way in this particular manner (see above) for someone "just checking" - especially since it is very unlikely that the room will still be there when the member finally makes up his/her mind. JMHO. YMMV.

I wasn't commenting on what MS CMs should do, other than to say that all CMs should follow the official policy. If the policy is to ask about intent, then that's what they should do. It should be uniform from call to call and member to member.

I've always had CMs check availability for me, without asking about intent. So I assumed that was the policy up until now. Some of the above posts suggests that either the policy has changed (which is fine with me -- I don't want to be on hold while members are just messing with MS) or it has become discretionary for the CMs (which I think is bad in a service situation).

(I don't call unless I know I want the dates.)

Originally posted by Pa@okw95
I can see member services point, why check, if you are not going to make a reservation.
Because although I may not be making the reservation right that second, I often need to find out first if there is availability to make the reservation first. It doesn't make sense to have dh take time off first (which is sometimes difficult as he needs to arrange coverage and juggle schedules around) only to find out afterward that the reservation we wanted is not available or to book and find out dh couldn't get the time off. -- occassionally, they cannot arrange for him to take off in which case I haven't booked my points unnecessarily - we sometimes book last minute and would have problems with points having to be used or lost. So while I may not book right then and there, if I can book after finding out about availablity, I do call back soon after and don't feel I'm wasting MS's time.

They may have you flagged for being a pain also. Most people call Ms to make reservations, not play make believe. Just one more reason people have to wait to make a reservation when they call. What next!!
I sincerely hope this is not the case as this is not the case from most of us I would think by the posts before me - and reguardless it is part of their job like it or not. Many of us have good reasons and are well within our rights to check first. Besides, why book and take space away from someone who IS ready to book? It's no more fair for someone to book space when they don't know yet if they intend to use it:rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter