Stormalong Bay

Personally, I think the best thing about the pool is my brother owns the company that put the liner in it.

As to people reading but not commenting that is usually due to the fact that they don't have an opinion.

Or get interupted by their children ;) Or not sure if they want to answer that question again. Korbbec, I also read your comment as impatience so don't be too hard on Sammie.

As far as the cool pic of SAB.... I copied that from a site that I can't reference here. I wish I could because I love to direct people to the source of information whenever possible and I really shouldn't steal pictures!! That picture was the one that really let me understand SAB.

While a fabulous pool to look at, it can be a parents nightmare if you have small children of different ages. The swift current, I do not consider anything 8 feet deep with that swift a current a lazy river; can be particularly dangerous. I have seen several people step off the steps into it, go under and be swept away by the current. I had to assist a man with a small child one day when this happened.

Yes, be quite careful with your small ones in the little "tornado current" part. You know, it goes around in a circle...Anyway, my then-5 year old got caught up in it and I was trying to manuever it to grab her. I had a quick-beating heart for a minute. And as I recall, they would not let her wear arm floaties in SB so I was really following her around. I think that also has to do with it being a registered water park.

I don't mean to sound like I am posting "down with SB!!," but I just want to you to know if you are a parent of young children, prepare to be active. No lounging on the edge with your feet in! :goodvibes
And prepare to have some seriously bummed kids when you excitedly run back to the hotel to play in SB and it's closed!
And then everyone sneaks over to BW pool....but that's a whole 'nother thread!!!;)

As far as the cool pic of SAB.... I copied that from a site that I can't reference here. I wish I could because I love to direct people to the source of information whenever possible and I really shouldn't steal pictures!! That picture was the one that really let me understand SAB.

Not to mention it's a totally rockin picture!! I have never seen one like that before!!!

I agree that you should have 2 adults if you have more than one child at SAB. I made that mistake our first trip. I had DD7 who was a good swimmer but being 7 still had to be watched and DD2 who did not want to go in the deep water for very long at a time and DH was golfing. We ended up in the sand bar area for most of the time and DD7 was greatly disappointed. It was too far to a normal swim area to see her from the sandbar. The slide was also a difficulty having your little one go across the path and out of your sight to access the slide stairs sends a little panic in you until you see them again (I could only let her do this once)

Thank you for asking this question. I've wondered myself many times... I've also noticed it seems to be closed often at night. Maybe because it is so large? Since we don't own there, I've never been around the pool area when it is full of people, so haven't seen it in action.

I am sorry that someone felt that had to get nasty. Some people aren't happy unless they are constantly being negative.:confused3

We have three kids, 8, 8, & 7 and we all love the BW pool. We don't have a weird thing about clowns, and the pool is really quite easy to keep an eye on your kids. In a few years, I'm sure they'll be bored with it, but right now they love the independence of being able to go just about anywhere in the pool they want without us. It is also open very late in our experience. They thought that swimming after dark was the most decadent, dangerous and exciting thing they've done in their entire lives (they were 5 & 6 at the time)!

I've also wondered about the pool at AK, it seems very ordinary in the few times we've been there to walk around. Any insights?

Dear Chill:

Look at the post numbers of the people replying. Sammie is a well-loved, responsive member of this community. If you re-read the post she replied to, it seems like the OP was complaining about not getting an instant answer. Sammie merely addressed that question.

The dangers of a written forum, is that 'tone' is lost. In person, if the OP said, "Why am I not getting answers?" in a comical, even self-depreciating manner, all would have known it was a light-hearted post."

But this is black and white print (except for Disney Doll's lovely lavender) and emotions and intent are often very subjective.

I get in trouble all the time, ask WMD and CaskBill! And I'm always posting from a point of humor.

So misinterpretations can easily occur.

However, no matter how you slice Sammie's or DoctorP's replies, calling tham nasty or even harsh is a little overblown IMHO.

Play nice everyone (That's a laugh comming from me! :lmao: )

-Tony

Personally, I think the best thing about the pool is my brother owns the company that put the liner in it.

Uhhhhhhh, I don't think liner is the right term. It is likely a gunite pool with plaster and tile for the surface. Not sure however.

Check with your brother but it isn't a liner like they use in the NE.

Dear Chill:

Look at the post numbers of the people replying. Sammie is a well-loved, responsive member of this community. If you re-read the post she replied to, it seems like the OP was complaining about not getting an instant answer. Sammie merely addressed that question.

The dangers of a written forum, is that 'tone' is lost. In person, if the OP said, "Why am I not getting answers?" in a comical, even self-depreciating manner, all would have known it was a light-hearted post."

But this is black and white print (except for Disney Doll's lovely lavender) and emotions and intent are often very subjective.

I get in trouble all the time, ask WMD and CaskBill! And I'm always posting from a point of humor.

So misinterpretations can easily occur.

However, no matter how you slice Sammie's or DoctorP's replies, calling tham nasty or even harsh is a little overblown IMHO.

Play nice everyone (That's a laugh comming from me! :lmao: )

-Tony

Hey Tony,

While I totally agree with your post Sammie is a he not a she.:rotfl2:

I mad the same mistake once and was NICELY corrected by Sammie.

Sammie is not a harsh poster here on the Dis and I'm sure the comments weren't not intended that way.

SAB is cool, but not my favorite. My girls love the sandy zero entry area, but the slide is out in the boonies. As already mentioned you have to go across the walkway to get to the entrance to the slide. It is big and fun, but I much prefer BWV and SSR's pool.

Thanks for posting the GREAT PHOTO lisareniff!

Parents: get a life vest for your kids from the boat dock area. They are free. And worth the peace of mind---even if your 7 year old (or whatever age) is an experienced swimmer.

I agree it is very embarrassing to cross the Boardwalk to get to the slide steps, but you'll see me, fat old mom and all, doing it repeatedly! That slide is SO MUCH FUN!

I think it is definately the most innovative and interesting pool at Disney, but I don't like it because of the kid watching issue - and because the two areas that interest me - the slide and the sandbar - are at opposite ends of the lazy river. If I were to redesign the pool, I'd put the lazy river on the other side of the slide from the sandbar - that would solve some of the siteline problems. The lazy river, with its current and depth, scares me.

I've thought that a few times myself! That lazy river is in the wrong place.

I suspect the childs zero entry sand area (I think easily the best in WDW unless your kid eats sand) was kind of meant to be stand alone. There is likely a cross over age that loves both the slide and this area but I think its out grown rather quickly. Once my kids became teens, the had no special interest in any WDW pools except SAB. Again they are good swimmers so the hang out in the 8 foot current area without tubes a lot.

I could see this pool not being for everyone since it is spread out more like a water park on a smaller scale (I'm not saying its Blizzard Beach but you cant exactly keep an eye on smaller kids there either). But throw in the sand beach overlooking the lake and the BW and its a killer destination after a MN winter (even this year).

Thank you all for the replies. Lisa- that really is a great picture.
Sammie- my post was meant to be lighthearted, not impatient. No hard feelings, that's for sure. Thank you.

Parents: get a life vest for your kids from the boat dock area. They are free. And worth the peace of mind---even if your 7 year old (or whatever age) is an experienced swimmer.

Great tip dis-happy! I didn't know that at the time (first trip) but I don't think it would have help me much. It still has to do with being able to see your child. From the sand area you can not see anything other than the lazy river. Also, she wouldn't have wanted to wear it. Now it might have helped my DD2 go in the deeper water with me. I learned, 2 parents for that pool for us! It's just so much easier with food and bathroom runs, different kids want to do different things, etc.

We are staying at BW soon and as the Coaster slide is in rehab, got a letter that we can hop to SAB -

so - can you tell me, do you have to lie down on that slide or can you go sitting? its hard to tell from the photos I saw - Dont know if DS will lie down on it so if its the only way to go, then I may just hop elsewhere.

TIA
Paula in CT

pirate:

Where is there a second kiddie slide??

There is kiddie slide across the path over by the entrance to the main slide. There is actually a small pool over there with a small slide. I've spent many a night in there with my youngest DS. He loves that slide. The nice thing about it is you can sit in the pool and get a great view of the high fireworks from IllumiNations. :thumbsup2

Hey Tony,

While I totally agree with your post Sammie is a he not a she.:rotfl2:

I mad the same mistake once and was NICELY corrected by Sammie.

Sammie is not a harsh poster here on the Dis and I'm sure the comments weren't not intended that way.

Thanks to both of you.

As to the he/she I have finally just given up correcting that, and my manliness is not insulted. The nickname, Sammie, is one my Grandmother labeled me with for Samuel. She thought it was cute, and it stuck.:eek:

facebook twitter