Store/minimart

essmom

DIS Veteran
We are staying at the HRH. How close is the closest minimart-for milk, soft drinks, beer etc? We will eat out most meals but would like some things in the room. We will stop somewhere coming from airport but we may need refills and will not have a car.

I arrive via Turkey Lake and stop at the 7-11 on Turkey Lake and Sand Lake. There is a KMart just behind the 7-11 as well.

There is a walgreens opp wetnwild on I-Drive as well about 20 min walk:jester:

Originally posted by essmom
Motherfletcher-is it walking distance from the HRH?

It would be a very LOOOONG walk.

Not much is walking distance from the Universal hotels, even though there are lots of things a very short drive away. Kirkman Rd has 2 gas stations and a Walgreens on the corner of Kirkman and Vineland.

No it's not within walking distance. I stop there because it is an easy right in, right out.
Robinrs has offered better walking distance locations.

Like me if u don't drive then use the free bus in morning to get to wetnwild then shop in stores on I-D and get cab back to resort at least then u r only paying one way about $4 i think:jester:

It's about a 10-15 minute walk from the HRH to Kirkman and Vineland. Go out the main entrance, make a left, walk down to Vineland and make a right to Kirkman. There is the Walgreens on the corner. There is also a minimart close by (I forget exactly where, you may have to look around a little). There are also several fast food places in the vicinity including McDonalds and Wendys. I walked over there pretty much everyday to pick up odds and ends when they were needed. I walk everyday, so I don't find it far at all.

If you are staying at the Portofino (or want to cut through from the HRH) there is a shortcut. Go past the bocce ball courts and villa pool to the parking lot. There is a small path through the shrubbery that drops you almost at the corner of Kirkman and Vineland. I can't describe where it is but if you walk along the shrubs and keep your eyes peeled you will see it. It is pretty small and easy to miss. I could get to my room in the villa wing to Kirkman and Vineland in about 5 minutes.

Shawn

are these sidewalks to get to the store and fast food places or will i be walking along the side of the road. i ask because i am traveling alone with 2 small children and if i decide to go, they will be taking the hike with me!

There are sidewalks but Kirkman is a difficult street to cross, especially with small children. It's about 3 lanes in each direction. Besides the traffic in both directions there are also turning lanes to watch out for. You have to be watchful when crossing. With children you may not make it all the way across when you have the light and may have to wait in the middle for another light. While I enjoy the walk I hate crossing Kirkman. Also, if you have small children with you it may take longer than 15 minutes to get there. I walk pretty fast, so I'm basing it on my speed.

I think there may be a mini-mart on the resort side of Kirkman that doesn't require you to cross Kirkman (the Walgreens requires crossing Kirkman) but simply to cross Vineland.

Shawn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter