Stopped considering DVC this week. Anyone else?

Agree not a time to buy direct right now there are no perks.

For me biggest perk is ability to use at new resorts. I was able to use non RIV points to stay at RIV and hope to utilize points to stay in the new DLR in the future. No guarantee there will be availability, but nice option. Also - I know some people say rent points out and then rent new resorts - great option. However, I would not want the deal with those logistics and lack of ability to cancel.

For me biggest perk is ability to use at new resorts. I was able to use non RIV points to stay at RIV and hope to utilize points to stay in the new DLR in the future. No guarantee there will be availability, but nice option. Also - I know some people say rent points out and then rent new resorts - great option. However, I would not want the deal with those logistics and lack of ability to cancel.
Point transfer! Easy peasy and then you can manage them just like your own points. I just did it myself and it was super slick.

Point transfer! Easy peasy and then you can manage them just like your own points. I just did it myself and it was super slick.

But you are only allowed 1 in or out per UY. So, if you receive a transfer of someone's RIV eligible, you either have to rent or use your points. If you could transfer both in and out, maybe it would be more useful for those wanting to essentially exchange their points. Also not necessarily a complete solution for those making multiple trips per year - especially in the future when there may be more resorts to trade into.

But you are only allowed 1 in or out per UY. So, if you receive a transfer of someone's RIV eligible, you either have to rent or use your points. If you could transfer both in and out, maybe it would be more useful for those wanting to essentially exchange their points. Also not necessarily a complete solution for those making multiple trips per year - especially in the future when there may be more resorts to trade into.
Sure. And I primarily wanted to stay at riviera that would make it a problem. But for occasional stays at new resorts-The “I want to be able to stay there sometimes”-it’s a pretty easy way to go and it would take a long time to cost more than the resale savings. I have qualified contracts, but I don’t want to use my GCV points for anything but GCV. Super easy to bank those til next year and get some transferred points for my less frequent WDW trip that hopefully will happen this year. Those whose favorite resort is riviera-who want to stay there the majority of the time-should obv buy there.

Sure. And I primarily wanted to stay at riviera that would make it a problem. But for occasional stays at new resorts-The “I want to be able to stay there sometimes”-it’s a pretty easy way to go and it would take a long time to cost more than the resale savings. I have qualified contracts, but I don’t want to use my GCV points for anything but GCV. Super easy to bank those til next year and get some transferred points for my less frequent WDW trip that hopefully will happen this year. Those whose favorite resort is riviera-who want to stay there the majority of the time-should obv buy there.

Oh I hear you! I would take a point transfer over renting any day. It can be a good temporary / occasional solution. And you can get pretty creative (taking large transfers and banking some, etc) depending on what your personal usage is. It's not something I would want to depend on regularly as part of my long term plan though.

So, in response to there being no perks to direct right now and someone pointing out being able to use your points everywhere is a perk, I happen to agree. I think we are going to see a lot of people that are buying the bulk of their points right now via resale realizing down the line that they underestimated the value of unrestricted points when there is more than just RIV to trade into. I just think that is short-sighted thinking and this is a long term purchase (if you're going to purchase now!!!)

I mean I guess that's technically true, but it's hard not to think a lot of the (former and soon to depart) benefits of staying on property (in addition to the other DVC benefits) are not factored into the price you're paying, no?

I haven't been on a sales presentation but I find it hard to believe (pre covid) that the agents just talked about the rooms and not what they "came with".
Oh they can snow you with anything but the bottom line is the only thing guaranteed is your lodging.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter