Stitch Encounter Moving Along?

DisneyKidds

<font color=green>The TF thanks DisneyKidds for mo
It's been a busy day on Screamscape.......................

Stitch Encounter - Rumor - (4/7/03) Screamscape sources tell us that the Stitch Overlay of Alien Encounter has been given the final green light from the bean counters. While we don’t know exactly when this will happen, we’ve been told that the project will take 10 weeks to complete.

I've always been skeptical that Alien Encounter would actually be reworked into a Stitch attraction. Anyone know Screamscapes record on things like this. How accurate are their 'sources'?

It's hard to keep a good tally on Lance's records. As information changes, he changes his predictions, and when he or his sources are totally wrong, the entry completely disappears.

I can remember way back in early 2000, when he was talking about groundbreaking and balloon tests for 'Fire Mountain' taking place directly behind Pirates. As I was working at Jungle Cruise, I took a little walk on one of my lunch breaks to verify what I knew as the truth (that construction of a parking area for guest band busses had just been completed in that location). When I e-mailed him to share the fact that there had been no balloons, there was no construction, and that was a parking area, he fired back a very nasty reply basically telling me that I was nobody and I didn't know anything. about 3 months later, the entry had totally disappeared.

Just like anyone who relies on outside sources for information, not all of it is going to be correct. I've seen that his filtration system can be a bit clouded.

Friend of mine recently stayed at the Contermporary and said that the resort "newsletter" mentioned AE was closing Feb '04 and reopening Oct '04 as something else.

Is this actually not confirmed/announced publicly by Disney yet?

If not, maybe there's hope that I can start a "save Skippy" campaign...... :rolleyes:

I want my AE! We have enough kiddie rides at MK, give the teens a reason to come to WDW!

It's odd that Disney wants to redo an attraction like Alien Encounter, which always has a long line. Why fix it if it ain't broke from the point of view of the people who are obviously always willing to stand in long lines for it (and it doesn't have FastPass).
The attraction seems to be viewed as a failure by people inside Disney. One of the reasons can be found in articles by Jim Hill where he relates that the entire concept was supposed to revolve around the Alien series of films and THAT alien, not some anonymous bug. When Disney couldn't secure licensing to use Alien from Paramount, you got the current show instead. Knowing that, it could have been so much better--and TRULY terrifying.
The Stitch overlay could end up being a lot of fun, if fun is what you want to have rather than getting the crap scared out of you.
Personally, I'd be happy if they just kept Timekeeper and Carousel of Progress open!

I am quite glad they are doing something with this attraction - it simply does not fit the theme of the Magic Kingdom as it is. The preshow is great, but the actual show effects are terrible, the story hard to follow, and the voice-overs, while funny the first time around, really distract from the experience over time ("It's my mother-in-law" is only funny so many times...)

I would love for them to build some thrill attractions of this sort, but the Disney-MGM Studios are a much more appropriate place for it, IMHO. The whole Alien thing would have been AWESOME!

And of course if they change it to a Stitch attraction, they'll sell LOTS of character merchandise.

"When Disney couldn't secure licensing to use Alien from Paramount..."

Actually, Disney did secure the rights the to use that 'Alien' (and it's from 20th Century Fox) and it appears in 'The Great Movie Ride'. What happened was that Eisner became upset that his parks were promoting other people's movies. The last thing he wanted to see was a ride/commerical for (a then) ongoing film series from a competing studio. So, presto-changeo, a different alien was created.

By the way, there are growing rumors that High Corporate Types are really pleased with both the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' and 'Haunted Mansion' movies. The chances of changes to those two attractions to better tie into the movies are growing by the day...

Originally posted by Another Voice
By the way, there are growing rumors that High Corporate Types are really pleased with both the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' and 'Haunted Mansion' movies. The chances of changes to those two attractions to better tie into the movies are growing by the day...
Shudder.... Why, oh WHY change a classic that works? I feel that familiar irritated feeling starting. :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter