Step By Step - How to Add Names to an Existing Contract (Gratuitous Transfer)

Question(s)...I purchased my contract about 5 years ago when I was still single. I'm currently remarried and I'd like to get my husband on the contract.

My current deed still has my old last name, would I be able to tackle adding my husband to this deed as well as changing my last name to my new last name all in one swoop via this process or would it be best to go through a company that does this for me to make sure I'm not making any mistakes?

Question(s)...I purchased my contract about 5 years ago when I was still single. I'm currently remarried and I'd like to get my husband on the contract.

My current deed still has my old last name, would I be able to tackle adding my husband to this deed as well as changing my last name to my new last name all in one swoop via this process or would it be best to go through a company that does this for me to make sure I'm not making any mistakes?
I don't think I'd try to change your name and add a person do it yourself. I'd ask LT transfers about it, you may need to do this through a lawyer. I'd ask DVC about it because if you have any pending reservations how it's done and how DVC perceives it could affect those as well as the possibility of whether it's indeed grandfathered. It shouldn't be difficult, you just need to do it correctly.

I don't think I'd try to change your name and add a person do it yourself. I'd ask LT transfers about it, you may need to do this through a lawyer. I'd ask DVC about it because if you have any pending reservations how it's done and how DVC perceives it could affect those as well as the possibility of whether it's indeed grandfathered. It shouldn't be difficult, you just need to do it correctly.
Thanks! I figured it was probably more complicated than doing it myself. DVC already has my account updated with my married last name, but I definitely don't want to lose any of my perks by doing anything incorrectly. Definitely will give DVC a call.

Possibly a weird question; but could someone please tell me if the Deed number remains the same after a gratuitous transfer.
Are you talking about the DVC member number? I can't speak from recent experience but years ago the master contract # did assuming the seller were transferring their entire membership and the buyer either was not a member or at least this would not be added to any existing membership. But I'm not sure it matters since the contract # is not the determining factor on membership perks. On the transfer paperwork it says a new # will be assigned so it may be this has changed since we bought resale years ago.

If it's truly a gift it should retain the perks but remember it's illegal in FL and all states I'm aware of to have a side deal trying to get the perks to continue.

Thanks! I figured it was probably more complicated than doing it myself. DVC already has my account updated with my married last name, but I definitely don't want to lose any of my perks by doing anything incorrectly. Definitely will give DVC a call.
You just don't want to mess it up and the name change does make it more complicated. We sold a condo in Dec and when they did the original deed they had a typo and there was an additional form we had to do at closing, not a big deal. Obviously any loan has to be paid off and any "sellers" have to sign for the transfer to take place. But I wouldn't jump directly to a $450-500 closing either, I'd check with DVC member admin, then I'd talk to LT transfers where it'd be about $200 total for a new deed and recording. They can tell you if they can do the additional step or not though I'm guessing they can't.

I apologize if this question has already been answered. In fact, I think it has several pages back but I am not confident that I understand the answer. I need things simple :teacher:I have 4 contracts, all direct.

VGF - 150 points (original)
CCV - 75 points
RIV - 200 points
VGF - 25 points

My mom travels with us on every Disney trip. We would like to add her to one of our contracts so that she could get the benefits. We are looking at adding her to the original VGF contract. I spoke to an advisor on this and he said that we would have to add her to the VGF contract due to the minimum point requirement (or RIV, but he couldn't add her at the time of purchase). He also said that he thought that if we added her to the RIV contract then we would be given a new membership number and would have 2 separate accounts. He admitted that he wasn't entirely sure and suggested that I speak with Member Administration.

Question: If I did add my mom to the VGF contract, and ONLY the VGF contract, would our membership get split into two different memberships? Different accounts, log-ins, membership cards? Or, would everything stay the same? Thanks in advance.

I apologize if this question has already been answered. In fact, I think it has several pages back but I am not confident that I understand the answer. I need things simple :teacher:I have 4 contracts, all direct.

CCV - 75 points
RIV - 200 points
VGF - 25 points

My mom travels with us on every Disney trip. We would like to add her to one of our contracts so that she could get the benefits. We are looking at adding her to the original VGF contract. I spoke to an advisor on this and he said that we would have to add her to the VGF contract due to the minimum point requirement (or RIV, but he couldn't add her at the time of purchase). He also said that he thought that if we added her to the RIV contract then we would be given a new membership number and would have 2 separate accounts. He admitted that he wasn't entirely sure and suggested that I speak with Member Administration.

Question: If I did add my mom to the VGF contract, and ONLY the VGF contract, would our membership get split into two different memberships? Different accounts, log-ins, membership cards? Or, would everything stay the same? Thanks in advance.

Yes, it will become a different membership because only contracts titled the same way can be part of the same one,

That is the reason last year when I was buying RIV with my adult children I needed to change the title and add them to my SSR contract first so the RIV contract would not end up a new membership.

Both will show oh your dashboard, so no change in that, but it would now give you two different blue cards, as both would be over the 100 point minimum.

The only way to keep it as one is to add her to all.

CCV - 75 points
RIV - 200 points
VGF - 25 points

I don't think the minimum points issue would be a problem unless the other contracts don't qualify on their own now. They could have added her on the RIV but it would have made it a separate contract, they should have done it then. Is there a way to get her the pass benefits without adding her. Look at the requirements and see if she qualifies based on those rules.

I don't think the minimum points issue would be a problem unless the other contracts don't qualify on their own now. They could have added her on the RIV but it would have made it a separate contract, they should have done it then. Is there a way to get her the pass benefits without adding her. Look at the requirements and see if she qualifies based on those rules.
We asked when purchasing the RIV contract. We didn’t do it because we were told we would have to separate the contracts. But then the guide said he wasn’t sure. My fault for just not doing it.

I reviewed the requirements last year. She would have to be living in the same household. She got the benefits this year because she was living with us while her home was being built. Her ID also reflected this. Some of why we want to do this is for sentimental reasons as well (maybe most of it). It would just be nice because she always comes and helps with the kids.

We asked when purchasing the RIV contract. We didn’t do it because we were told we would have to separate the contracts. But then the guide said he wasn’t sure. My fault for just not doing it.

I reviewed the requirements last year. She would have to be living in the same household. She got the benefits this year because she was living with us while her home was being built. Her ID also reflected this. Some of why we want to do this is for sentimental reasons as well (maybe most of it). It would just be nice because she always comes and helps with the kids.

I want to add that now that they have just added the ability to use transferred points online, it will make having two memberships easier as you won’t have to call to book or modify,

So, it may not be that bad with a second membership on whichever contract makes sense the best.

I want to add that now that they have just added the ability to use transferred points online, it will make having two memberships easier as you won’t have to call to book or modify,

So, it may not be that bad with a second membership on whichever contract makes sense the best.
That's a really good point that I had not thought of. I'm starting the paperwork now. Might as well get a headstart while I am not in a rush.

When did this happen???? That is awesome!

My husband and I want to add our two now adult children to our deed, so I filled out the request to change title back at the end of July and we faxed it to Membership Administration. We also prepared the new deed and had it notarized, also at the end of July. I haven't sent in the new deed yet, as I was waiting for the packet from Disney, which still hasn't come. I've emailed them twice, and my husband has emailed them once, and we still don't have any response from Disney. Can I go ahead and submit the new deed now, and continue to wait for the new owner packet? Or, as the dates on the deed are now quite old, do I need to create a new deed with more recent dates and have it notarized again? I've tried calling Member Administration, but they still aren't taking calls. Thanks! The information here has been very helpful, and my kids are eager to get their own blue cards.

My husband and I want to add our two now adult children to our deed, so I filled out the request to change title back at the end of July and we faxed it to Membership Administration. We also prepared the new deed and had it notarized, also at the end of July. I haven't sent in the new deed yet, as I was waiting for the packet from Disney, which still hasn't come. I've emailed them twice, and my husband has emailed them once, and we still don't have any response from Disney. Can I go ahead and submit the new deed now, and continue to wait for the new owner packet? Or, as the dates on the deed are now quite old, do I need to create a new deed with more recent dates and have it notarized again? I've tried calling Member Administration, but they still aren't taking calls. Thanks! The information here has been very helpful, and my kids are eager to get their own blue cards.

If the deed has not yet been recorded, then I’m confused as to what new owner things you are waiting on,

Until that is done, there are no new owners. When I did it last year, once it got recorded, And changed in Disney’s system, then my kids got emails from Disney as new owners.

My understanding is that there is a packet of information that we should receive from Disney telling us how to send in the newly recorded deed. We haven't received that yet.

My understanding is that there is a packet of information that we should receive from Disney telling us how to send in the newly recorded deed. We haven't received that yet.
Historically there has been and there may still be. And while the info on the website still describes a ROFR requirement, I think they may have stopped requiring it. Since you have to record the deed anyway, I'd likely go ahead and do that while you're waiting anyway and even send it in if you don't hear anything. I wouldn't do that for a transfer but I'd be comfortable for a name change, deletion or addition.

When I did it last year, once it got recorded, And changed in Disney’s system, then my kids got emails from Disney as new owners.
My daughter has not received an email, or anything. July 19 they finally sent the New Owner Information Sheet. I got the deeds back from occompt on August 10, (I had sent to them before, while waiting for the New Owner Information Sheet from DVC), I sent it all US mail to DVC August 11. I have never heard anything back from DVC, regarding adding my daughter. I called MS last week to see if a waitlist had filled but they hadn't done it yet---it had. I mentioned I really wish I could find out about adding my daughter to the deed, and the lady I was talking to said she didn't see my daughter on the membership. Then she said she took my name out, and my daughter's name popped up! She said her email and phone number were there. (She has business mail sent to my address, as her apt has those little tiny mail boxes). So no word to either of us. She said have my daughter call in using my member number, and they will give her what is needed to get registered. Well my daughter says she doesn't have the time to mess with it now. But we gave them all the info on the new owner info sheet, and I emailed them several times, and not a word to either of us. I have no way of knowing if the woman was correct. I sent the original stamped recorded deeds, thinking they would be returned from DVC, but am afraid they are not going to send them back. But most disturbing is complete lack of communication, and no response. I sent my Request to Change Title to DVC Aministration on 6/22/2020 via email, they replied on 6/24/202 they received it, and that is the only thing I have heard in over 3 months!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter