Stay on site - but go off site for a day?

Lexiesmom

Earning My Ears
First - I can't believe I'm starting to be thinking of planning another trip. Budget is crazy tight - but I'm going to be optimistic that I can finally do another trip! :)

So I'm thinking in general of what I'd like our trip to look like.

Think staying on site is for us again, but I feel like taking a longer trip and getting some out of park experiences. I'm just wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good way to enjoy a more relaxing off site day or 2.
We aren't really beach people when its sweltering hot, but maybe an option if there is something nice near by.
I know there is Universal, sea world, space centre, but I'm looking for any and all ideas. Cheaper is better, but right now just brainstorming to get some idea.

Would be me, hubby and an 8 (maybe 9 by the time we go) year old girl.

I predict we'd rent a car for one day.

thanks!

Myself and my then 11 year old daughter did a Saturday to Saturday Disney trip in 2016. We ventured out on Tuesday to go to Seaworld and while I don’t regret it, I would not do that particular day trip again. You can price it out, and pay for it ahead of time much like Disney (Dine with Shamu was THE best part FWIW). For the two of us, with a few souvenirs and food and parking and admission, I think I spent about $300. Seaworld wasn’t bad, it was just hard breaking out of the Disney bubble-it might be cheesy, but we were glad to get back “home” to POR that night.....all that being said, we’re adding two days at the end of our next trip to try out Universal.....

We have done this 3 times, my daughters mother loves Sea World and they spend a day there and seem to enjoy it a great deal. I am starting some research in this area because staring with our 6th trip in 2021 I am cutting the numbers of days at Disney in half and plan on spending the other half in Orlando.

I might consider doing the off site days at the beginning or end of the trip as an off site hotel is going to be much cheaper. So many choices of things to do in the area. My vote would be SeaWorld. Maybe a water park? Just FYI, it’s almost always cheaper to add another day at WDW that anything off site.

Are you wanting to leave WDW, or just have a relaxing day or two? No need to leave for that, there are plenty of non-park options right there.
We hated Seaworld and would never return. I thought the animal exhibits were cruel- particularly remember the poor polar bears- don't get me started.
Once we went to Gatorland. That was cheesy but my son loved it.
Many times we've thought about going to a local orange grove tour, or a river boat ride, but in order to make our WDW week calmer, we have just added days onto our ticket and enjoyed less hectic park time, knowing we had more days to do what we wanted.

Depending if you are looking to do something not park wise ( we love SeaWorld) there is the Eye, the outlets if you like to shop, There is also Wonder Works, although your daughter might be a little old for it, Ripley's believe it or not, or a water park for a day.

We have also stayed on Disney property and had a non park day...We played Mini golf on both courses, had lunch at Poly quick service ( we weren't staying there) then drove to Ft Wilderness and explored ... there is so much to do there! If I had realized I would have booked the BBQ with Mickey and spent the afternoon then had dinner. I know it is not off property but it is a completely different experience then going to the parks!

We did this back in 2009. We spent a day at Universal, a day at Cape Canaveral, and another day heading out to a Gulf side island to go shelling (can't remember the name - Calabrisi Island?). Anyway, we loved it. It broke up the park days, and it was lovely to come back to Disney when we were done.

Would I do it again? Not sure. I think maybe we should've stayed onsite and enjoyed the resort more (we were at Port Orleans). Our next trip, next year, we do have a resort day built in. So much to do onsite!

Have a great trip!

We were on budget also. SeaWorld just seemed too much along with our Disney experience. We went for more relaxation. I know you said no beaches, but we rented a car and did Alan Sheppard Beach over by Cocoa Beach it wasn't deserted but it wasn't as busy as I expected and the kids loved it. Only cost was tolls getting there and parking at the beach it was like $20 for the day. We rented the car for a week since it was as cheap to rent for 7 days as was for 3 by no means an expert but there seems to be sweet spot with renting cars, we ended up being happy we had it for that time.

Our trip report 2017 - https://www.disboards.com/threads/trip-of-a-lifetime-2017-29apr-08may.3640483/

If you're on a budget and staying on site, there are lots of things you can still do without going to the parks. Visit some of the deluxe resorts and do some of the activities there. there are kids' activities, shops, a lot of atmosphere. AKL is great, as is the Boardwalk area. Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge, too...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter