State Testing...Let's Test the Kids on What They Haven't Learned Yet, Just for Fun!!

Goofyluver

<marquee behavior=alternate><font color=red>Knock
Vent: My DS (10) is a wonderful, smart, able boy. He is in 5th grade. He is reading on a 2nd grade level and is doing math on a mid-1st grade level. This week is state testing. In our state, they test on grade level, not on ability level. So, yes people. He has to take the 5th grade test. This is material he has never been exposed to and does not know anything about.

Questions: How do they do it in your area? And, what do you think? I hate this and it's not fair. Let's just set the kids up to fail why don't we?

I teach middle school Life Skills in Baltimore. My kids take a special version of the state test (because they will get a 'Certificate of Completion' and not a High School Diploma. The test they take is made individually for them. We have to then give them a Baseline test to PROVE they can't do the work, and then a test showing they learned the material. Sounds great, doesn't it?:thumbsup2 It's not really. First, you have to set the goals and come up with the tests the first month of school..but you can ony give one baseline test a week. You can't change the goals after the first month...so...you get new students you don't know and set the goals too high or too low...and then you are in trouble cause you can't change it...and it becomes a testing error! Also, my kids are GREAT at randomly guessing the corredct answers on the baseline tests, thus invalidating them.:scared1:

For the 'Diploma' special education kids- its the same. If you are in 6th grade and read on the 1st grade level, you still get the 6th grade test. And if you don't pass it, it could lead to the state taking over your school.:confused3

No Child Left Behind... huh. At my school, we call it either Every Child Left Behind OR No Child Left Untested.:sad2:

My DS IEP always stated he was exempt from testing, so no problems for him or us. His school is a "center" for special education, so a higher population than other high schools in area. So until the State straightened some things out, those non-test takers were hurting his school because it was a negative and No Child Left Behind/AYP put them on a bad performing school list....even though when you look purely at the test takers, they did very well.

Fed up with all our kids being taught to tests, so much classroom and teacher time is wasted on this.

ps Many of my other DS's high school teachers said "if you don't know always guess C, best chance there". That is what he does and he has done alright even in areas he isn't as accomplished at. Accepted at 4 colleges so far ;) and no one has turned him down.

Here, I believe all students take the test, but those with IEPs usually have "accomodations" included. Such accomodations might be:
1) more time allowed for this student to complete the test (than the other students are allowed)
2) on the comprehension portion of the test, the student might have the story/passage read aloud to him. Then the questions are read aloud to him & he might write his answer or maybe he dictates & someone else writes the answer.

It all depends upon what the accomodations are for a particular student.

I'm not a special ed. teacher (teach 1st grade) , but I believe this is how it works.

I'm a special education teacher in PA. My students are indeed very smart and always try their hardest, but there is no possible way that they can complete reading and math grade level assessments. It is very frustrating for both myself and the students. I always tell my students that as long as they try their best, I will be happy! :)

In PA, despite the fact that my students have IEP's, I can't read any of the reading passages aloud to the students. :sad2:

Wish your DS good luck for me! I'm sure he will do his best! :thumbsup2

I teach HS Math here in CT. All of our students must take a statewide test in 10th grade in order to graduate. Just about the only accommodation that is allowed is extended time (with very few exceptions). Of course the test contains Algebra, Geometry, and Probability, and would give many adults difficulty. Most of the questions don't even have a 50% pass-rate, with some in the single digits.

The Irony is that all special education students must receive accommodations and modifications on everything all year long, yet are allowed next to nothing for the state-mandated test.

Florida has FCAT which was just administered this week. Students are given extended time if it is on their IEP. ESOL students are allowed Eng-Spn (Creole)(ASL) dictionaries. We have one student who has a scribe write all his answers. Several blind student have readers and a scribe to bubble answers. Deaf students are allowed an interpreter for all but the reading section. They take it in 10th grade and if they fail they can retake the section more times if needed but must pass to graduate.

Here in Michigan my daughter is now required to take all state tests. Special Education students used to be able to opt out of the testing but no more. I was told the change came because some school districts were abusing that option by encouraging all students under the sp.ed. umbrella (such as those in a regular ed classes but receiving speech therapy) to opt out to make their numbers look better.

Usually each school can have a certain percentage of students with special needs scores not count, so of course they usually choose the ones on the lower spectrum, leaving the rest to fend for themselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter