Started Training Too Early!!

The Orange Bird

Life Finds a Way!
Hey everyone, so in my excitement to start training for my first RunDisney event, the Star Wars Virtual Half Marathon in 2020, I started training last week. When I did the math for the 19 week training schedule just now, I realized that I started about 4 weeks too soon. So my question is, should I stop the training and wait, or is there a way of modifying it so I can extend it another 4 weeks. I'd like to do the run on January 4th. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hey everyone, so in my excitement to start training for my first RunDisney event, the Star Wars Virtual Half Marathon in 2020, I started training last week. When I did the math for the 19 week training schedule just now, I realized that I started about 4 weeks too soon. So my question is, should I stop the training and wait, or is there a way of modifying it so I can extend it another 4 weeks. I'd like to do the run on January 4th. Thanks in advance for your advice.

If you’ve got you’re heart set on using a specific plan you can hold off on starting the specifics of the plan until you get to the appropriate point for it to coincide with the dates you’re looking for; but there’s really not any reason to “stop the training and wait” unless I’m missing something. Use the extra 4 weeks to build toward your plan and make sure you’re prepared for it.

If you are okay with it, I would stick to training and repeat the occasional week--or if life takes over/injury occurs, use the extra time as cushion.

Sometimes it can get boring to train for so log, but a little extra cushion is nice.

I had the same, I used a new app this year for the run weekend in Disneyland Paris. It came with a pre-programmed training for 16 weeks for a half marathon. In the weeks leading up to the 16-week mark, I just start building up to get to 5k. There is no disadvantage to already starting, there are advantages to start now.

I'm training for a half in December and have built a 3 week buffer in there because something always comes up (family, work). If I complete the training as scheduled, I'll run a 13 mile 'training' run three weeks before the race. If I get pushed back a week, I'll assess my situation - if possible, I'll run the 13 miler two weeks prior to the race. If I get pushed back further, I'll just adjust those last days (basically - wing it).

tl:dr - stick to the plan. You can always adjust it "back" later in the calendar. Don't limit your options right from the beginning!

Good luck, stay healthy, and HAVE FUN!!!!

Thanks for al the advice everyone! I think I'm going to use the buffer method for now and as it gets closer I may repeat the occasional week. I know its a virtual run and technically could do it whenever but I'd like to try and schedule it to fall within the specified timeframe for the event. Thanks again everyone for the advise and motivation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!