Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Shopping and Merchandise: Savi’s, Droid Depot and More!

I'm heading to Droid Depot with a 4 and 6 year old. Neither are particularly big Star Wars fans, but I think they'll have fun nonetheless. Given that they won't have a natural preference for either the BB-Series or R-Series, I thought I'd crowd source some wisdom about which droid seems to be the most fun for kids. Would love the thoughts of the hive mind! Thanks in advance :)
The easiest to maneuver, the easiest to turn off and on is the R unit. The BB unit take some time to learn how to work and also to be able to turn them off you have to open them back up every time.
I'm going to send this thread to the merchandise thread since we are trying to keep similar threads in one spot

I'm heading to Droid Depot with a 4 and 6 year old. Neither are particularly big Star Wars fans, but I think they'll have fun nonetheless. Given that they won't have a natural preference for either the BB-Series or R-Series, I thought I'd crowd source some wisdom about which droid seems to be the most fun for kids. Would love the thoughts of the hive mind! Thanks in advance :)
I think the R2 units are easier to maneuver for sure. Dh built an R2 and since he already claimed that one I figured I'd better do a BB unit so we'd have one of each. The BB unit tends to lose his head after he gets going for a while because he moves faster than his head can keep up with IMO. Plus, you have to open up his belly to turn him off! Still, he's awfully cute!

I saw those but it was strange as NO ONE else is seeing that price. I know we paid $49.99 for ours (before AP discount) just a few days apart from that post. Something strange for sure.

I'm wondering if that $60 was $49.99 plus tax, rounded up?
We also paid $49.99 before the AP discount, during SWGE opening weekend.

My almost 10 yr old insisted on building the BB droid. I tried to convince him to build an R2, but no go. He loves it and has no regrets even though it's head does fall off a lot (stays attached by a magnet) and it is a pain to open the body to turn it on/off and then put it back together again.
He had a blast playing with other kids and their droids on the mat outside droid depot. DS said it looked like the R2 moved faster than the BBs. No idea if it really does or not.

Are you sure? Reports upthread said they paid $60.
I saw those but it was strange as NO ONE else is seeing that price. I know we paid $49.99 for ours (before AP discount) just a few days apart from that post. Something strange for sure.

I'm wondering if that $60 was $49.99 plus tax, rounded up?

I was the one who said they were $60. They hadn’t had them when I went in August so I had my parents pick them up for my boys last week, and they texted and told me they were $60 each. Well, they got home a few days ago and brought the backpacks over today, and they were $50! So I don’t know if there was a texting error from 5 to 6 that my dad didn’t notice, or if he really had thought they were $60 :confused3. Regardless, sorry about that!!! I’ll try to find my post and edit it to avoid further confusion.

They are actually pretty cute backpacks. I’m not sure they are worth $50, but still cute. The R unit seems to sit higher in the backpack than the BB unit, but it doesn’t seem to be able to go any lower so I think it must be in right. I wish they had had them when we were there, it would have been SO much better than dragging the cardboard box around that kept falling apart, and now unless we take them back they really won’t get used except for display. With all of the other stuff we take on our trips, I didn’t really want to rake the droids back and forth when we fly- but we’ll see.

They are actually pretty cute backpacks. I’m not sure they are worth $50, but still cute. The R unit seems to sit higher in the backpack than the BB unit, but it doesn’t seem to be able to go any lower so I think it must be in right. I wish they had had them when we were there, it would have been SO much better than dragging the cardboard box around that kept falling apart, and now unless we take them back they really won’t get used except for display. With all of the other stuff we take on our trips, I didn’t really want to rake the droids back and forth when we fly- but we’ll see.
The R Unit is somewhat taller in general, so it does sit higher. But, if you check closely, there's a spot for the R Unit to snugly go down inside the form at the bottom. You have to line things up JUST right

Guys can anyone help me? Have a droid build for tomorrow. Looking to edit time but juts gives me a cancellation option. If I cancel even though I’m rebooking for later in day will they charge me the full about or am I good up to 12am today?

The R Unit is somewhat taller in general, so it does sit higher. But, if you check closely, there's a spot for the R Unit to snugly go down inside the form at the bottom. You have to line things up JUST right
Thanks! I’ll look again and see if he can snuggle down a little more or not. When I looked it seemed like the bottom of the body was against the curved foam where th e bottom of the BB unit wound sit, but I’ll try to make sure. It just didn’t seem to fit in an neatly as the BB one.

Thanks! I’ll look again and see if he can snuggle down a little more or not. When I looked it seemed like the bottom of the body was against the curved foam where th e bottom of the BB unit wound sit, but I’ll try to make sure. It just didn’t seem to fit in an neatly as the BB one.
You also have to make sure the legs are positioned exactly so. May have to wiggle them around a bit. It's got a rectangle area at the bottom but it barely fits in there, that's for sure. If one little thing is out of place or he's not squared up, it won't slide in

Guys can anyone help me? Have a droid build for tomorrow. Looking to edit time but juts gives me a cancellation option. If I cancel even though I’m rebooking for later in day will they charge me the full about or am I good up to 12am today?
I can only relate to my experience. On one build we were ready to build early, well ahead of our reservation time. I asked and they said I could go in the stand by line. We had nothing else to do but wait till our reservation so I tried that, figuring if it got to where it was taking too long, I'd just go with the reservation instead. Well, we only waited like 5 min and got in. When I mentioned to the CM at check out that we had a reservation for later she said to cancel it. I did, right online, and no penalty. So you should be able to cancel your current reservation and book a new one

Cancellation is by midnight like most things at WDW. I recommend booking the new one first though.

I can only relate to my experience. On one build we were ready to build early, well ahead of our reservation time. I asked and they said I could go in the stand by line. We had nothing else to do but wait till our reservation so I tried that, figuring if it got to where it was taking too long, I'd just go with the reservation instead. Well, we only waited like 5 min and got in. When I mentioned to the CM at check out that we had a reservation for later she said to cancel it. I did, right online, and no penalty. So you should be able to cancel your current reservation and book a new one
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help.

I have been reading a lot about timing and trying to figure all this out myself. It seems like if you know what kind of droid you want and generally what colors you want the build is pretty quick. I found something that suggested 20-30 minutes for droid depot, but would definitely like to hear about actual experiences.
We were there last Saturday. We had a reservation for 3 builders at 4pm. We looked the day before and day of at the parts on the conveyor belt and sort of knew what we wanted. 4 of us got in line at 3:45. I had a slight dilemma as could not decide on my leg colors for R2. DH helped me build and our kids built their own. We were out the door at 4:01.

They also had plenty of backpacks on Saturday and Sunday when we went back to build our last droid.

I know this is old, but I wanted to say that I messed with the R unit and I have no idea what I did but he did settle in more and isn’t sticking up so much. So thanks.

There were plenty of backpacks the week following Halloween.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter