Star Wars: Galactic Starship (resort experience) News

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole concept is so cool! I wish them the best of luck and I hope it is a roaring success, even if it's not in my price range (although I'll bet I can swing it at least once). ;-) This seems like "The Adventurer's Club Hotel In Space" to me - so I'm all for it.

I was really excited about this when the news first broke. It sounded awesome. However, the more and more that comes out, the less interested I am. It feels like it’s aimed toward the fan who has watched every episode of the animated series and read every page of the extended universe. I love the movies but what I love about HP land in Universal is that it feels like stepping into the movies or books as I’m familiar with them. To me that’s what’s magical. I don’t know that I care to pay an arm and leg to stay in a random ship in a random corner of the SW universe. Maybe I’ll feel more excited after actually going to GE. But right now I wonder if they have enough of those really hard core fans to fill the resort at the price points that are being speculated.

I was really excited about this when the news first broke. It sounded awesome. However, the more and more that comes out, the less interested I am. It feels like it’s aimed toward the fan who has watched every episode of the animated series and read every page of the extended universe. I love the movies but what I love about HP land in Universal is that it feels like stepping into the movies or books as I’m familiar with them. To me that’s what’s magical. I don’t know that I care to pay an arm and leg to stay in a random ship in a random corner of the SW universe. Maybe I’ll feel more excited after actually going to GE. But right now I wonder if they have enough of those really hard core fans to fill the resort at the price points that are being speculated.
It is a weird concept --- it seems this has a VERY specific audience ... almost too specific.

1) Hardcore Star Wars fan (like the kind that goes to conventions dressed up ..or ones that join the 501st Legion). Fans who want even more immersion than Batuu gives you.
2) People who are COMFORTABLE with cos-playing (dressing up and playing a part) - people who go to Ren Faires, people who play Dungeons and Dragons
3) People who have A LOT of money to throw at this experience.

I cant imagine the people who fit this audience being that large. I feel I fit into that category, or at least I did in my 20s. (When I was going to Ren Faires in character) .. Now that I am older, I dont know if I can see bringing my kids, (due to cost) or the whole family being into it like I would. Depending on the cost, it just may be better value for my money to splurge and do a Disney vacation at a Deluxe Resort.

I wonder, over time, if they struggle finding an audience for this experience they just dumb it down to a normal Deluxe hotel -- just a HIGHLY themed with direct transport to DHS but ditch the cruise line concept
*SHRUG*

I don’t think this experience is as niche as some of you are making it out to be, especially since we really don’t know much about it. We also don’t know the cost, or what that will include. All the numbers being thrown around are pure guesses that are higher every time I see a new guess in a blog or post. I’m waiting to see official prices from Disney before I start freaking out.

(Most CM sources on pricing isn’t good... before SWGE lightsaber prices were announced a CM told me it could be as much as $1,000 for Savi’s. Clearly that was wrong.)

I don’t think this experience is as niche as some of you are making it out to be, especially since we really don’t know much about it. We also don’t know the cost, or what that will include. All the numbers being thrown around are pure guesses that are higher every time I see a new guess in a blog or post. I’m waiting to see official prices from Disney before I start freaking out.

(Most CM sources on pricing isn’t good... before SWGE lightsaber prices were announced a CM told me it could be as much as $1,000 for Savi’s. Clearly that was wrong.)
Disney has said though that this will be a 3 day experience with a portion at SWGE. They also have said to not call this a hotel but a new experience all on its own. The closest thing we have to compare it too is a cruise.

Disney has said though that this will be a 3 day experience with a portion at SWGE. They also have said to not call this a hotel but a new experience all on its own. The closest thing we have to compare it too is a cruise.

They themselves refer to it that way - from the Disney Parks blog a few days ago, "a two-night, cruise-style itinerary where you’ll become the hero of your own adventure in an experience that surrounds you 24/7 in Star Wars storytelling."

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/12/star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-update-dec-2019/

I know all that. But people are saying “oh you need to have seen the cartoons to enjoy this” and that seems highly unlikely to me. We also don’t know if the access to SWGE will be exclusive (if it is, that’s a game changer) or if you’ll be able to go to the rest of the park during your “excursion” or really how any of that will actually work.

I know all that. But people are saying “oh you need to have seen the cartoons to enjoy this” and that seems highly unlikely to me. We also don’t know if the access to SWGE will be exclusive (if it is, that’s a game changer) or if you’ll be able to go to the rest of the park during your “excursion” or really how any of that will actually work.

You could be right. But there are already people saying that GE is off putting to casual or non fans because they insist on using terms
like credits and fresher. Credit is from the movies but I don’t think fresher is. It think that’s extended universe or one of the animated series. It’sa pretty obscure reference. And the resort is hyping that element. I‘m not fraaking out about it. I just don’t care as much anymore. I went from very interested to pretty meh about it. I love aDiagon Alley and Hogsmeade. I would jump at the chance to stay in a themed resort there and do a little role playing. I love SW more and for longer than HP so I should be among the target demo as a pp described above. Which is why I’m musing that Disney may have missed the boat with their early marketing. I’m not saying that Disney is trying to make it so that you won’t enjoy it if you haven’t watched all the series, just that’s how info is coming across right now. How it’ feels’ to me. I could be totally wrong though.

We also don’t know if the access to SWGE will be exclusive (if it is, that’s a game changer) or if you’ll be able to go to the rest of the park during your “excursion” or really how any of that will actually work.
Take this as you will, but at D23 Expo last August, when Bob Chapek talked about the Galactic Starship experience I got the distinct impression that the time in SWGE would be exclusive and would be integrated into the overall planned experience - more that just back-entrance access to the land with FPs. Again, that was just my impression from what he said, so I could have misinterpreted.

...We also don’t know if the access to SWGE will be exclusive (if it is, that’s a game changer) or if you’ll be able to go to the rest of the park during your “excursion” or really how any of that will actually work.

I think we'r DO know that it will be exclusive. Disney has implied on more than one occasion since this was first announced, that this is a massively immersive experience and that you will be kept inside the bubble throughout the entire time. There are no windows in the hotel, because it's not a hotel, it's a starship. They are going to a lot of trouble to create a realistic "shuttle" vehicle to get you from the ship to your excursion on Batuu just to keep you immersed in the story. They're not about to break the immersion by letting you see regular guests. Plus, somewhere recently, Disney has said (or heavily implied) that Starship passengers will be confined to Batuu. There's a reason there are gates at both entrances to SW:GE - they want to be able to isolate Batuu from the rest of the park. I

All of which makes perfect sense. Guests will be taken to Batuu (most likely at night after the park is closed - and the gates to both entrances to SW:GE are closed) via a private entrance. The residents of Batuu will be out and about and become players in the story line(s). Whatever role you've chosen to play while in the story will continue to play out while on Batuu.

Guests' time on Batuu will be limited, and these "excursions" will only happen twice a week, so the labor cost is reasonable and will be built into the cost of the experience.

Personally, the more I hear from Disney about this, the more excited I get. Disney is working into their primary strengths here: world building and story telling, but in a fully immersive physical setting. Everything we've seen so far (limited though it is) all points to the Galactic Starship Experience as being ground breaking in both scope and execution.

Steve

You could be right. But there are already people saying that GE is off putting to casual or non fans because they insist on using terms
like credits and fresher. Credit is from the movies but I don’t think fresher is. It think that’s extended universe or one of the animated series. It’sa pretty obscure reference. And the resort is hyping that element. I‘m not fraaking out about it. I just don’t care as much anymore. I went from very interested to pretty meh about it. I love aDiagon Alley and Hogsmeade. I would jump at the chance to stay in a themed resort there and do a little role playing. I love SW more and for longer than HP so I should be among the target demo as a pp described above. Which is why I’m musing that Disney may have missed the boat with their early marketing. I’m not saying that Disney is trying to make it so that you won’t enjoy it if you haven’t watched all the series, just that’s how info is coming across right now. How it’ feels’ to me. I could be totally wrong though.
Funny enough, I believe refresher is made up specifically for SWGE. It’s kind of a running joke that there are no bathrooms in Star Wars, so they had to make it up.

The first time a bathroom of sorts is mentioned on screen is in the Mandalorian. They call it a vac tube.

I think the same guests that are put off by “Star Wars lingo” are the ones who are put off by CMs in Pandora staying in character too. Some people just hate fun 😜.

Last edited:
Funny enough, I believe refresher is made up specifically for SWGE. It’s kind of a running joke that there are no bathrooms in Star Wars, so they had to make it up.

The first time a bathroom of sorts is mentioned on screen is in the Mandalorian. They call it a vac tube.

I think the same guests that are put off by “Star Wars lingo” are the ones who are put off by CMs in Pandora staying in character too. Some people just hate fun 😜.

The tern "refresher" was used in Star Wars: Rebels for sure, though I don't know if they had already come up with that word for SWGE. It may have been used on Clone Wars too, but I can't think of an instance specifically.

The tern "refresher" was used in Star Wars: Rebels for sure, though I don't know if they had already come up with that word for SWGE. It may have been used on Clone Wars too, but I can't think of an instance specifically.
I haven’t seen Rebels yet... so there you go! But honestly, if people are put off by “refresher” they clearly just hate fun.

Edit: I think tie-ins are AWESOME for hardcore fans. I don’t think it is necessary to understand all of them to enjoy an immersive experience.

I haven’t seen Rebels yet... so there you go! But honestly, if people are put off by “refresher” they clearly just hate fun.

Edit: I think tie-ins are AWESOME for hardcore fans. I don’t think it is necessary to understand all of them to enjoy an immersive experience.

I do think they lay it on a little thick at SWGE - like I think I would prefer just a bit more English signage and more music - I think the put on that it is "real" is a tad over the top. That said, I am very happy to play along as I love Star Wars, but there are practical matters to consider.

I do think they lay it on a little thick at SWGE - like I think I would prefer just a bit more English signage and more music - I think the put on that it is "real" is a tad over the top. That said, I am very happy to play along as I love Star Wars, but there are practical matters to consider.

The complaint I’ve heard is basically that they won’t break character and explain it to you even when it’s clear you don’t know what they’re talking about.I can see why people would find that less charming and more annoying. I haven’t been yet so I don’t know personally.

And refresher is in the extended universe so definitely before Disney owned SW.

The complaint I’ve heard is basically that they won’t break character and explain it to you even when it’s clear you don’t know what they’re talking about.I can see why people would find that less charming and more annoying. I haven’t been yet so I don’t know personally.

And refresher is in the extended universe so definitely before Disney owned SW.

Yeah, and it's one thing to be playful, but sometimes you just need to know where the restroom is, and it's not that well marked. I kind of felt the same way about the menu names - I mean I get wanting to be clever, but if people couldn't understand what it, then that is a problem. I know it said, but I think it just wasn't practical. Of course, then they moved away from the clever names entirely and everyone got mad - the current version I think works well.

Yeah, and it's one thing to be playful, but sometimes you just need to know where the restroom is, and it's not that well marked. I kind of felt the same way about the menu names - I mean I get wanting to be clever, but if people couldn't understand what it, then that is a problem. I know it said, but I think it just wasn't practical. Of course, then they moved away from the clever names entirely and everyone got mad - the current version I think works well.
People handled the menus at Satu’li just fine, and they adjusted the menus in SWGE when people were confused.

Also, to people reporting a refusal to break character: someone I follow on Twitter said if you ask about a bathroom/restroom the CMs will still direct you where to go. Some are more willing to break character than others. Also in emergencies they absolutely break character immediately in favor of clarity (including lost kids, medical stuff...).

People handled the menus at Satu’li just fine, and they adjusted the menus in SWGE when people were confused.

Also, to people reporting a refusal to break character: someone I follow on Twitter said if you ask about a bathroom/restroom the CMs will still direct you where to go. Some are more willing to break character than others. Also in emergencies they absolutely break character immediately in favor of clarity (including lost kids, medical stuff...).

Yeah, but were the menu's at Satu'li ever quite so creative. I don't remember weird names for the proteins, just a bowl with beef, etc. and Cheeseburger Pods - with a clear description. They weren't passing them off as the meat of the Pandoran animals.

Yeah, but were the menu's at Satu'li ever quite so creative. I don't remember weird names for the proteins, just a bowl with beef, etc. and Cheeseburger Pods - with a clear description. They weren't passing them off as the meat of the Pandoran animals.

The SW:GE menu items always had a clear description. People are apparently just incapable of reading past the name.

The SW:GE menu items always had a clear description. People are apparently just incapable of reading past the name.

No, I know that. But obviously it was causing an issue (certainly people don't read) so they changed it (twice). I don't recall Satu'li ever having names like "Roasted Thanator" on the menu, so it's not really the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!