Star Wars: Galactic Starship (resort experience) News

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Portman get ups?

Honestly I hate them as much as jar jar...

Pfffttt - you're usually reasonable, lol, but you're wrong on that. Her costumes are great. And Darth Maul - great makeup. And, and, and. I thought they did a fantastic job with Kylo though. The lack of good female dark characters sucks though, since I've gone OT anyway.

The idea of a SW character breakfast is just a hard no for me. Now that I've been thinking of it, families would love this and, families win at WDW. They could run people through for a single night feeding them BB8 cupcakes and make money. The artwork could be so cool, and then I realize even that is another family aim with the bunk beds. I'd love to be wrong...Still love WDW though!

I'm still hoping for "full immersion," but ya'll are convincing me its unlikely.
Don't give up now!!! It's way too early!!!!!!

In all honesty, I expect it will become what your thinking. People will not understand, be complaining that they can't spend a single night there, etc... etc... etc... Eventually, it will be just another resort.
You: read what I wrote to her above!

Come on, people!! It's far too early to give into cynicism!!

Pfffttt - you're usually reasonable, lol, but you're wrong on that. Her costumes are great. And Darth Maul - great makeup. And, and, and. I thought they did a fantastic job with Kylo though. The lack of good female dark characters sucks though, since I've gone OT anyway.

The idea of a SW character breakfast is just a hard no for me. Now that I've been thinking of it, families would love this and, families win at WDW. They could run people through for a single night feeding them BB8 cupcakes and make money. The artwork could be so cool, and then I realize even that is another family aim with the bunk beds. I'd love to be wrong...Still love WDW though!

No...I'm
Right here too.

Darth maul was a useless character...less complex than boba felt in empire...a low level street thug/enforcer.

People latched on to him because that movie was so beyond awful...I mean...it was DOA.

And George tried to do something with Portmans character that can't be pulled off...dress up, Henry Kissinger, AND ninja with a gun...

I mean...what's with the belly shirt fighting outfits? What the hell?

They tried to sell toys and serve too many masters and it showed.

I assume you've seen "the people vs George"?

Watch it...it will change your life.

Darth maul was a useless character...less complex than boba felt in empire...a low level street thug/enforcer.

I assume you've seen "the people vs George"?

Watch it...it will change your life.

Totally useless. He looks bada. Great for cosplay. Padma's character - who cares? The costumes, hair, headpieces, and makeup are fantastic.

I've seen it...way OT.

@MickeyMinnieMom - I'm still hopeful, but much less. Like I *hope* for more countries at Epcot and bars that actually stay open late, and for Father John Misty to fall in love with me, but I'm very likely not going to get those things:) You can send me FJM, you know, to cheer me up! I promise to stop wining about SW!

MI0003813635.jpg

@MickeyMinnieMom - I'm still hopeful, but much less. Like I *hope* for more countries at Epcot and bars that actually stay open late, and for Father John Misty to fall in love with me, but I'm very likely not going to get those things:) You can send me FJM, you know, to cheer me up! I promise to stop wining about SW!
You're the best! I'll find some super inspirational stuff. And I'm a realist (some say pessimist sometimes, but what do they know?!) -- and I haven't given up. So there.

You're the best! I'll find some super inspirational stuff. And I'm a realist (some say pessimist sometimes, but what do they know?!) -- and I haven't given up. So there.

I'm just thinking, I'd be pretty stoked for this hotel - obviously, but I'd definitely take FJM instead.

Ok, cynicism aside, I feel like this will be covered ad nausem until its opened, and seriously, I'm ok with the speculation.

Totally useless. He looks bada. Great for cosplay. Padma's character - who cares? The costumes, hair, headpieces, and makeup are fantastic.

I've seen it...way OT.

@MickeyMinnieMom ...and for Father John Misty to fall in love with me, but I'm very likely not going to get those things:)

Seems kinda scumbaggy...but oh well...

I'll help you get him...dress like this:

Attachments

• IMG_5088.JPG
    IMG_5088.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5089.JPG
    IMG_5089.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 19
Just thought of this: what if they do end up with a more watered down hotel than what the die-harders want... :(

Might they do something like more ELABORATE immersive experiences once or a few times a year to draw that crowd?? Like a special event period where those folks can truly live the dream... for a tad more $$ of course... :confused3

I need to stop thinking about this so much... so early...

How about this----- Everyone is assigned a character or identity upon entering......the things you do during events or experiences you participate in build or develop your character, and if you return for subsequent trips, you will return retaining the "level" your character has earned and as such you "unlock" more or higher level opportunities........

How about this----- Everyone is assigned a character or identity upon entering......the things you do during events or experiences you participate in build or develop your character, and if you return for subsequent trips, you will return retaining the "level" your character has earned and as such you "unlock" more or higher level opportunities........

I think your more right than you think of what they are looking to do.

That won't work...can't charge someone $3000 for 72 hours and make them be greedo

And that sounds really expensive...for disney

Seems kinda scumbaggy...but oh well...

I'll help you get him...dress like this:

That guy is perfection walking. If only he could be the next ex amberpi!

I don't think those outfits would help a girl like me with a guy like him. I'm (obviously given this thread) not cool enough. And I don't know why you don't I have one of those already...lol.

I think this is the most ot we can go!

Well, that would take it a whole new direction I'd be cool with!

Not a SW character-- a guest character or ...AKA...... DBA........ alter identity-- you pick the name----- like a gaming character.

If they have this level of immersion, you're totally going to be rolling a new character.

Don't hate the player...hate the game...

Look...it's just spitballing (now that I'm warmed up)...and I don't know a thing...

...except I know how disney operates...lots of old dogs from the Eisner era still pull the strings in many ways...and they don't like to deviate from what they see as their core brand philosophy. Unlike iger...they think that they own exclusive rights to high quality family entertainment...even if iger doesn't. That called "wdi"...and park operations execs.

I'll cautiously give them a chance. Even when they're firing on all four, Disney seem to take one step back for every two forwards with the parks. But... Pandora was a stop-gap that shouldn't have been needed: they let Universal play catch-up and Universal used the time to raise the bar. Star Wars needs to be a success for them lest Universal fully gain the aura of the cool inventive park company. Interactivity is a coming trend. Disney parks were first designed in an era when entertainment consumption was entirely passive. The parks moved the goal-posts a little as they allowed guests to visit the places in the movies, but that's as far as it went. To some degree Universal has forged ahead of them a little here, but Disney are conservative, and aren't going to mess with their formula. Having CMs doing things that might scare kids is not going to happen in a Disney park where Universal are more willing to go that path. Having rides that are too aggressively thrill-seekery or scary is a hard choice for Disney because they get a level of guest push-back that Universal are seemingly escaping.

Doing some back of the envelope math, this Star Wars hotel would pay for itself somewhere in the 8-10 year mark, I think. Maybe Disney are looking at this as being a revenue generating research lab? They can try ideas, and do things in this resort that they'd never risk testing in the wild in a park.

They must know that the video game generation will increasingly want to be part of the worlds they visit, rather than just spectators, and that over time they're going to need to offer more dynamically immersive entertainment. A murder-mystery weekend where everyone (or at least every room party) gets to affect the storyline in a small but seemingly meaningful way[1] is not that expensive, and could give insights to how people will behave when given the reins for a few moments.

[1] To give a simple example - you're given an assignment to identify a rebel in the cantina and slip a message to him. The message is presumably a warning of some kind. Sone guests will deliver the message, some will opt to not deliver it. Either way, the story maps out the same. If you deliver it, the rebel make a scene of fleeing the cantina, and escape mere moments before First Order guards enter to search for them. Don't deliver the message, the guards enter, and there's a lot of noise, but some of the rebels escape anyway. From the guest's POV, the story unfolded the way it did because of their choices. On the storyboard graph, all roads lead to 'z'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter