St. Maarten - what to see and do

WDWLVR

<font color=green>DVC @ The Boardwalk</font><br><f
St. Maarten is a stop on Disney's 7 day Eastern Cruises. What are your favorite things to do? Disney excursions or on your own. Share it here with your fellow cruisers!

****** UPDATED 7/3/09 ******
This post has been updated to include many reviews that are not posted on this thread from the past year on the main cruise forum. Click on the links to see specific reviews. If you would like a review that you have posted on the boards or in a trip report included in this listing, please PM one of the moderators on this forum to have it added.

Beaches - **

Bernard's - **, **, **, **, **

Butterfly Farm - On own, **

Cinnamon Bay - **

Coki Beach - **

Divi Little Bay Beach - **, **, **, **, **

Exploring on Your Own - **, **, **

Golden Eagle - **

Great Bay Beach - **, **

Island Drive and Explorer Cruise - **

Joyce Prince Private Tour - :), **

Le Galion Beach - **, With pictures, **, Taxi on own

Lunch - **

Maho Beach [Airport] - **, http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=32522950&postcount=2**, **, **, **, **, Pictures and website for flight schedule

Megans Bay - **, **, **, **

Mountain Top Rainforest Trek - **

Orient Beach - **, **, **, **, **, **, **, **

Pinel Island - **, **

Pirates of St Maarten day Cruise - **

Sapphire Beach - **

Scuba - **

Seaworld Explorer Semi-Submarine - **

Sea and See Island Tour - **

Shopping - **

12 Metre Regetta - **, **, **, Website to do on own

Two Flags Tour - :crazy2: , **, **, **, :(, **, Boring, **

We stayed for two weeks in this beautiful Island and if you have young children would recommend the little Zoo which is quite close to town.

St Maarten

this is a web site that has a list of all the beaches in st. maarten and if you click on the side bar "links to everything" there might be a listing of rental places.... now as i haven't cruised down there but this is one of the mail sites i have been using to plan my trip to the island this coming week.

Hope it helps!!!

We did the under 2 flags tour with disney,it was extremely boring. My kids where 13 and 16 at the time and did not like it either.

Kim

I just got back from a week long trip to st. maartens. my dh and I mostly lounged on beaches:beach: during the day, but I might be able to help with some questions.

:sunny: I don't know what disney offers as far as excursions go on the island but if you have question about a tour or trip to one of the beaches etc. i might be able to help.

The 12 metre regetta in St. Maarten is one of the best excursions I have even taken in 7 cruises. Whale watching in Alaska would a tie.
DW and I took the 2 Flags tour years ago, we liked it, and debated doing that for the kids, but it was sold out, so we took the 12 Metre Regetta on a lark, and are very glad we did.

We are looking at grabbing transportation to a beach for the day. A family friendly one with restrooms, chairs, and food. Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance

We are looking at grabbing transportation to a beach for the day. A family friendly one with restrooms, chairs, and food. Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance

most if not all beaches on the island allow women to go topless. Basically, every beach we went to we saw at least one woman without her top on. there is a beach right in phillipsburg, but it isn't a very nice one as far as the water and beach go. basically all of the beaches have at least one if not more than one chair/umbrella rental place. and if they have a restaraunt there will be public facilities, though they are not very nice to use (think camping). Most of the nice beaches we went to were on the french side... there are a few near marigot that are very nice prety big not too crowded. We went to orient beach and left after a few hours because of the 20-25mph wind, though that only lasts during the winter months, and they do have a lot of facilities (water rentals, chair rentals, bar/restaurants) but i could see them getting very crowded if there a many cruise ships in that day.

hth

DH and I did the 12 metre regatta and loved it. We' ve never sailed before, but that doesn't matter. They show you what to do. We got a great picture of us on the boat during the race. A photographer comes up behind your boat in a speed boat and takes some pictures, so if you're at the back of the boat you'll be in the picture. I still have it out here in the office. Brings back great memories.

We caught a cab to Dawn Beach, no topless ladies there. Check out my trip report for more information

The 12 metre regetta in St. Maarten is one of the best excursions I have even taken in 7 cruises. Whale watching in Alaska would a tie.
DW and I took the 2 Flags tour years ago, we liked it, and debated doing that for the kids, but it was sold out, so we took the 12 Metre Regetta on a lark, and are very glad we did.

Is the 12 metre regetta offered through DCL or do you book this excursion on your own?

hi, im going to st maarten with my eastern disney cruise and was wondering what would you recommend for us to do? Shoudl we just enjoy the beach and shops or should we do an excursion with her??? if so any that you'd recommend for a little one??

going pretty soon!! Jan 20!~~!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :cool1: :cool1:

Is the 12 metre regetta offered through DCL or do you book this excursion on your own?

We booked through Disney. However, almost every excursion, except those on Castaway Cay, are run by someone other than Disney, and can be booked directly. However, I always feel safer booking thru the cruise line.

We just got back from the 10 Holiday Cruise Dec 16 -26. We had a great time in St. Maarten. We booked a tour with a private company. FANTASTIC!! We toured the Dutch and French side and went to Orient Beach on the French side. Saw a couple topless young ladies but most everyone was in a swimsuit. It was so much fun. Jetskis, tow rides, restuarants, bars, vendors. FUN FUN FUN!!

If you want more info about our tour PM me and I will find out the details from my BIL. They met us at port and we didn't pay anything until the tour was over. I think it was about $20 to $25 per person and it was from 9-3 or 4. Of course, we tipped well because it was supposed to be a 4 hour tour and it was like 6 hours.

Has anyone tried the Golden Eagle Catamaran excursion? If so, can you give a quick review. Thanks!

From the DCL Excursions page:

Golden Eagle Catamaran

Sail the ocean blue aboard an exciting catamaran and soak up the sun-kissed sights as you make your way to the scenic splendor of the French side of St. Maarten. Upon anchoring approximately 50 feet offshore, dive in for a swim and snorkeling adventure or retreat to the beach for a relaxing hour and a half of sun and sand.

Port of Call: St. Maarten Activity Type: Water Sports Activity Level: Moderate Duration: 4 hours Price: Adult: $69 (ages 10 and up)
Child: $39 (ages 5-9) Ages: 5 And Up Additional Information Please be aware that St. Maarten's beaches are similar to those found in European countries, where swimwear and other attire are optional. Nudity or topless bathing may be observed.
Snorkeling equipment and instruction are provided.
Snorkeling is from the catamaran.

Aviation buffs might want to hang out at Maho Beach, which is at the foot of the runway at Princess Juliana Airport. The runway is relatively short but some big birds land there every day. Some of the planes are only a few feet above the beach when they land, as shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAfQwDizpRo&mode=related&search=

I rented a car and went there during our 7 day Eastern cruise in April. Note that this is (at least) a topless beach, there were 2-3 participating sunbathers when I was there, not that I was counting! ;) :cool2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter