SSR ?s

Bowen9475

DIS Veteran
We are currently booked in a 1BR at OKW from July 30-August 4. We are a family of 5:2A, 3C ages 15, 13 and 9. A friend is willing to transfer us enough points in order to change the ressie to a 2BR but there are no 2BRs available at OKW for our dates. The only resort that has availability is SSR. My daughter and I have never stayed their but my husband and sons have. I do all the planning and usually know what I want but I have no idea about SSR. Where should we request to be? Is there an area that is close to the main pool and a bus stop but has views of DTD? How likely are we to get any of our requests when trying to book/change the ressie only a little more than a month before arrival? I love OKW but would really like the extra room of a 2BR. And on a subjective note - would you make the change from a 1BR at OKW to a 2BR at SSR?

5 people sharing 1 bathroom at OKW would be a deal-breaker for me. I would most certainly book the 2 bedroom at SSR, just for the extra bathroom and beds for your family. We like staying in the Congress Park section of SSR because of the Downtown Disney views. I know they have a new feature pool in a different section, so that could be an option also.

I think getting requests are just luck of the draw - it doesn't seem to matter (in our experience), if the request was made at the 11 month mark or the 1 week mark. Sometimes our requests are met, sometimes they aren't - we just roll with the villa we are given.

We were just in the THV a couple weeks ago, but really enjoyed the amenities of the resort. We walked to the Springs pool which was very nice with tables, umbrellas, lounges, and of course Artiste Palette for quick service items and the Spa. The Paddock pool is newer and is great for kids and is in the Paddock section. The Grandstand pool has a water play area for kids and is smaller. We could get beverages and refills on our soda cups at the pools. The Grand Stand is the first bus stop, and the Springs is the last one, but there was only one time the buses were so crowded that not everyone could get on, and that was for MK on an extended hour night. We took the boat to DTD but could have walked from Congress Park if we had been nearer to there. The resort is very large and spread out, but once you get the layout of where things are, it doesn't seem as large. We walked just about everywhere we wanted to go. It is so peaceful and quiet with beautiful grounds. Having a 2 bedroom would win me over hands down.

FYI there is also a west side walking path that begins in the boat dock / Grandstand area. It first enters the Cirque parking lot and would be closer to some West side places, but not as useful for the Marketplace...

We just stayed last year in a 2 bdrm at SSR with 4 teenagers and 2 adults. We did miss OKW for the space in the main living area, the laundry room and the huge deck, but we couldn't get a 2 bdrm at OKW for our dates, and a 1 bdrm would have been too small. That said, SSR was lovely and the kids really enjoyed where we were - we stayed in the Grandstand, which had it's own good-sized pool with a refill station right near our room. The bus stop there is great since you are the first to get on before it fills up, and the first to get off on the way back. The main lobby and pool is really a lot closer than it looks on the map due to a path that takes literally two minutes to walk, and the ferry dock to DTD is just as close. We loved the views there (mostly golf/waterways).

In your case, for the extra bathroom alone, I would 100% go with SSR, although OKW is our favourite. It would have been a nightmare to not have the second bathroom with 4 teenagers for us! Plus, with the extra room you get an extra door for everyone to spread out in different rooms when they want to get away from each other, and everyone has their own tv, so no arguments when you're doing 'down' time. You'll like it, don't worry!

I would be sure to request a Dedicated 2BR that has two beds in the second bedroom. Otherwise, you might get the 1BR + studio that has the 2nd bedroom with one queen and one sofa sleeper. I hate putting anyone on a sofa sleeper. SSR is a beautiful resort. I love walking to DTD from there and I also love having elevators in every building. The main living areas are not as large as OKW, but I would definitely take the 2BR at SSR over a 1BR at OKW.

I'd go for the 2bd too. As pp said, request the dedicated 2bd although I have slept on the sleeper just fine and I'm no kid either! You'll miss all the space in OKW's living room and patio.

SSR is a great resort- go for the 2bedroom. Stayed there last July for the first time and staying again this July because we LOVED it! Congress park is closest to DTD- we love being able to walk there. The springs is closest to the main pool and food court but is the last bus pick up/drop off. The Paddock pool is more appealing to younger kids IMO.

I am requesting congress park. Nice quiet pool with a view of DTD and short walk to main pool. I cannot wait to be there:dance3:

I have stayed in a few areas in SSR. I liked the grandstand the best. We also had a 2 bdrm. The pool area was right there. I actually like that pool area better than the main pool. We had a golf course view from our balcony and it was less than a five minute walk to the main area.

We were able to make the change. We are now booked in a 2BR at SSR. I have not made any requests yet. I still need to decide which area to request. Thanks for all the information so far :)

We were in the same situation as you...booked in a OKW 1 bed wiith my husband & I, our daughter & her 2 young boys. The more we thought about dealing with one bathroom, we decided a 2 bed would be best. Even though our trip isn't until Dec, SSR was all that was available. We've never stayed there so didn't know what to request...chose Congress Park but I'm still researching since I've got plenty of time to change my request. I'd also like a refurbished room so there's lots to think about. The more I read about it, I'm exited about SSR

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter