Spring Cleaning my life

Did a LOT of work on taxes but don't have them done.

Did a LITTLE thinking about a month's worth of goals in this area, don't have that fully complete either.

My goals for the first week are set:
1) complete and file taxes
2) conversation with DD about the rehearsal dinner for DS's wedding. We are doing a upscale BBQ at DD's condo. I need to get clear about if this is her project and DH and I are "helpers" or if this is our responsibility and she is providing location and flowers.

Small goal for week two is set:
develop a plan for walking and stair climbing that will get me ready for the trip I plan to take to Israel in mid June.

Glad this idea is resonating with so many of you. I need the accountability and encouragement.

I was just thinking about this today. As I mentioned in another thread, DH started a new job and I am overwelmed with benefit choices. It wasn't helping at all that I had paperwork, brochures, mail, etc. all over my desk plus everything from the old job stashed away. Today I let my DS play on the computer so I wouldn't get distracted and started tackling the paperwork.

I filled out forms and got them mailed out.
I paid a bill I found that was due yesterday and got it paid.
Got all of the school permission slips and fundraiser info. filled out, checks written and put in the kids' backpacks for school Monday.
Threw away a bunch of paperwork that I no longer need.
Scheduled time Monday to make phone calls for appts. and put it on my calender so I won't forget.

I feel so much more in control and ready to tackle the new paperwork and make some decisions. It's really eye-opening how much clutter can hold you back. I am usually not one to put things off, but I was buried in paper clutter.

I need to do this too. I had a mini-meltdown this morning because I felt like life was getting away from me. We have been really busy, and I realized that we have plans that take up a good part of the next several weekends too. If I don't have time on the weekends to run errands/ get things done around the house, I don't know how things are going to get done. I need to prioritize and to make time to get the priorities done.

My first priority for this week is to get my tax stuff in order. Along with that, I'd like to get some files reorganized/ shredding done, but as long as I can find what I need for my taxes, I'll be happy.

Other things I'd like to get done this month:
-get spring/summer stuff for yard/garage/shed organized
-clean and put away DSs' winter gear
- set up a system in the laundry/mud room to keep better organized
- return my home office into a place I enjoy being instead of the house's biggest clutter zone
- set up a workout schedule

I know the last thing on the list is the most important ... I need to make my health a priority ... Just have to figure out how to make it happen.

I'm working on a lot of the same things too, and for some reason spring is the time I really get the itch to get things in order. I've been sporadically decluttering since our move in July '09 but in bits and pieces, which leaves me feeling like nothing is really getting done.

I'm starting this weekend with making a list of the things I want done and deadlines where applicable, and then I'm going to work with my schedule so that I'm doing something every day towards that list. It won't always be something big, but even digitizing a stack of CDs while I read my e-mail or sorting through one box of miscellaneous stuff in the attic helps to chip away at that list.

well, not a great start today. I finished the laundry and made DH take all of his clothes and put them away. I tried to rearrange some things in the living room and dining room but I gave up when I couldn;t get to the closet I needed. (DH is doing a construction project and many things he wants out of his way are now in my way. :confused3 Oh Well. 1 more day off then back to the routine of every day.

- taxes are done
- I made a dent in the laundry/office area.
- Next, get the files in that room in order

Next weekend, work on the LR & DR again.

Wow, amazing things are happening here.
  • My 4 kids and I worked for over 3 hours last night in the finished area of the basement which is a family room/scrapbook workshop area. Looks beautiful.
  • Part of the way through, my DD12 and DD14 were not having so much to do, so I sent them up to the kitchen to tackle the out of control crafty cabinet. It took them 2 hours, but they DID IT! It looks like a cabinet that I'd want to use and I'm not even a kid! They threw away 2 bags of trash and used up small containers to organize things. Looks awesome.
  • Not only that, but today they both spent the day super cleaning their rooms. They don't even look like the same rooms. And they're each getting rid of their bookshelves, so I just scored more shelves for my office.

So there you go. This thread has inspired an entire family. Thanks everyone! :goodvibes

Yesterday I tackled the tupperware cabinet. It was so overwhelming to open it everytime I needed a container that it would frustrate me to no end when I could not find lids for anything. It is all reorganized and I got it down to one shelf.

I also started on my paperwork. I went through the box, opened all envelopes and sorted everything out. I have a pile that needs to be filed and a plie that needs to be shredded. it is a small step but it helps me feel more organized.

I've got a head start on this. We are refinancing our house and I had to clean, clean, clean. We are doing this to cut two years and 1 3/4 percentage points off our mortgage. We also want to be ready to update the house and move on when our youngest is gone.

I'm with y'all on this one.

Finally!! I FINALLY completed the clean up of DS7's room that I started when I reorganized his closet with a new closet system. I have been walking by his room everyday for 3 months looking at all the junk we left out from sorting his toys etc... Well no more!! We finished going through it and cleaning it up today. :banana::banana::banana: It's all clean and organized and I have this thread to thank for the swift kick in the butt. Thanks, OP!

I also scrubbed and mopped my kitchen floor today and the kitchen looks great! The next thing I will tackle is finishing up my DH's side of the closet. Hope to get that done next weekend. I'm putting in a new closet system. :D

We repainted and recaulked our master bedroom this weekend. Been putting that off for a while now, but we got it done... Looks nice!

Okay, so I haven't given up totally on this idea. DH has just thrown a monkey wrench into my plans. His little project has become something much bigger and now I will be living with most of the items from our garage in our living & dining rooms for the next 3 weeks. :sad2:

My focus will shift, I will not be waylaid. My focus will be:
  • keeping up with the laundry
    making the kids sort out old clothes and clean their rooms
    focusing on our health - I have many Dr & Dentist appointments to schedule,

Count me in! I am trying to throw away lots of things, donate clothing and baby gear to a battered women's shelter, and sort/recycle ALL loose paper before our town's shredding day on 4/16. That will mean we don't have to do the shredding ourselves! We have a new fridge being delivered for our basement tomorrow and DH found out we can get $50 from the state to recycle the old one...it's being picked up Saturday! :cool1:

I also started bringing things up to the attic which belong there, and DH and I will be going through the garage to organize what's in there soon. Feels GOOD!

Making a list is a great place to start. Mine is now very long, but I will absolutely enjoy crossing those things off!

My plan is to do a clean sweep of all the major rooms, but start with the basement storage room because most of the junk we want to keep that is up in the house but doesn't need to be is only there because we have no place to put it in the basement! So it all starts there.

Blegh. I hate that job. But I love crossing things off my list!

Taxes were done in January.
Month end is done for March.
No reason to put this off I guess...

Same here :rolleyes:
Our basement is out of control. Our house is mostly decluttered but we have too much stuff saved in the basement. Its really difficult deciding what we may need, or one of the kids may need. Wish someone could come over and tell me :) I've gotten rid of alot but there's still too much :rolleyes:

Count me in!!

FlyLady does a great job at this. flylady.net

I have gotten away from things- things getting put off, brushed aside. Tonight, I am tackling my home office. Bills are paid, but the physical PAPER and FILING of it all needs to happen.

My goals for week one were
big: income taxes
little: conversation with DD about rehearsal dinner

Goals for this second week:
big:general lesson plan for the rest of the school year
little: conversation with DIL about wedding clothing
create plan for increased walking to prepare for June trip to Israel

Hit both first week targets. On to week two.

Yesterday I cleaned out two of the four drawers of the desk in the living room. It had become the catch all place for paperwork we intended to file downstairs in the office. I have a box of items to shred (I found receipts in one drawer from 2006!!!!) and I started a box to take downstairs to file. I hope to finish the other two drawers this afternoon and then help my mom organize her scrapbook stuff into that desk so she can watch tv and craft at the same time.

I also went through our dvd/video rack of Disney/Animated films (yes we have one rack totally dedicated to them) and put everything in alphabetical order to make them easier to find. I also got rid of duplicates, like we bought the movie on dvd so I put the video into the goodwill box.

Today I also want to tackle the entertainment center drawers and cupboards.

I love that the OP called this life-spring cleaning, b/c I need so much more help than just for my house! Little, crazy things like printing out pictures or writing a thank you note have been completely overwhelming me!

I checked out Fly lady and am starting that, it has been psychologically freeing. I always felt like my life is out of control, and, while there's plenty of reason to feel that way (working, 3 kids and all of their things/activities to keep up with, long commutes, etc...) I was so sick of feeling so helpless, behind, and guilty all the time.

I've started doing the 15 min, and sometimes less, timer-activities and I'm amazed what I've accomplished. For ex, while DH loaded all the kids in the car for church yesterday morning, I hurried and emptied the dish washer... yes, it takes entirely too long to get all the kids buckled in and situated, but instead of feeling stressed that we were going to be late, I focused on the dishes and finished it all. Coming home and not feeling "behind" was wonderful!

In the last week I finally finished organizing everything for the CPA for taxes, I've taken care of several little projects that were hanging over my head for ever, and I cleaned out two kids' closets of clothes they've outgrown.

I still have so much more to do, but for the first time in a very long time, I feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks for starting this, maybe it can be something we do every month, like the no-buy, to keep everyone motivated?

I love that the OP called this life-spring cleaning, b/c I need so much more help than just for my house! Little, crazy things like printing out pictures or writing a thank you note have been completely overwhelming me!

OP here. That is exactly what I was thinking. My house is pretty orderly and clutter free. Both of our kids are now grown and gone. But there are lots of little life details that need attention. Some are emotional and some are just projects that need to be tackled like organizing finances, planning a wedding, etc. etc. etc.

I have a big dream to get a bunch of this handled before summer. But, who knows. . . we might be summer cleaning our lives. Maybe we'll need a better title:)

Okay, so I haven't given up totally on this idea. DH has just thrown a monkey wrench into my plans. His little project has become something much bigger and now I will be living with most of the items from our garage in our living & dining rooms for the next 3 weeks. :sad2:

My focus will shift, I will not be waylaid. My focus will be:
  • keeping up with the laundry
    making the kids sort out old clothes and clean their rooms
    focusing on our health - I have many Dr & Dentist appointments to schedule,

So I was thinking I wasn't getting anywhere when I looked back at my to-do list. I'm doing better than I thought!!! :woohoo:

The laundry is done
The kids cleaned their rooms and came out with 2 bags of trash and 4 bags of clothes and shoes to donate. :yay:
Vacation is next week, I have Dr's appointments lined up for the kids at least.

I have something to feel good about after all. I accomplished most of that list!!!! Now to keep up with it.

This is a baby step but I got a bunch of bags of clothing (baby and some maternity) off the front porch yesterday. I brought them to a clothing drop bin. I AM planning on having another yard sale, but it was mostly not designer and clothing doesn't sell. I have a few things I kept to sell, but it felt good to give most of it to a good cause. (I tried to donate it to a woman's shelter but they didn't call back).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter