Spring Break 2018- Boston to MCO

Vasiliki76

Earning My Ears
Hello,

What do people think is a good price for this flight? I'm thinking of booking this week because I heard last year fares were reaching $800 months out. Is $500-600 range the best option or do you think other airlines will be cheaper than Delta?

Thanks!

We always fly spring break (April vacation) out of BOS- DH is a teacher so we can't leave til Sat of April vacation. I generally book at 11 mo out and fly whoever is cheapest. Cheapest usually equals 400-600 with a layover for BOS to MCO (or anywhere in FL for that matter). 400 is a bargain for spring break. This April we were going BOS to Tampa. I got my tix at 11 mo out - flew Delta down and American home, total was 500 with layovers. That was cheapest they ever were bc I did check from time to time. My friend waited for JetBlue and paid 600 just for the direct flight home (total round trip for her was 800). April vaca prices do not go down. I've booked the last 3 spring breaks right when they were released and watched the prices climb to 700-800 to get to MCO or TPA. I just started another thread on this asking for ppl opinions too! Although I think I'm going to go with my experience and book early.
April 2018 we are going to California instead. Last time we did California, the prices were actually cheaper BOS to LAX than BOS to MCO - go figure.

We flew the past 3 aprils, time before was the auto train and the time before we drove...not fun!

This past April was the first time we flew during Easter break (we fly out of Hartford), the other 2 times we did Easter were the AT and driving.

So April 2015, we flew delta from Hartford to Atlanta to Tampa. No direct flight on delta from Hartford. It was around $250 RT, maybe a little less. I should of just waited for jet blue to open as it was only about $10 more and the airport is a 15 min drive from my sisters. This was not Easter week.

April 2016, I swear we hit the jackpot, again this was not Easter week. I held out til July for jet blue. The day it opened, fares were $600 is RT. I told my DH we were going to do the dreaded drive until some wonderful Person on these boards said to check google flights. $234 RT into ft Myers...direct... in top of that, car rental for 10 days $240-a minivan..again thanks to these wonderful Boards!

Last July I book for April 2017...our vacation ended on Easter but we come home on a Monday.....$550 RT...ugh....I paid it. At rental $650 ish...added another $100 when we got there for a bigger van again for 10 days.

I book the minute jet blue opens. I am dreading it but at least next year Easter is early.

We flew the past 3 aprils, time before was the auto train and the time before we drove...not fun!

This past April was the first time we flew during Easter break (we fly out of Hartford), the other 2 times we did Easter were the AT and driving.

So April 2015, we flew delta from Hartford to Atlanta to Tampa. No direct flight on delta from Hartford. It was around $250 RT, maybe a little less. I should of just waited for jet blue to open as it was only about $10 more and the airport is a 15 min drive from my sisters. This was not Easter week.

April 2016, I swear we hit the jackpot, again this was not Easter week. I held out til July for jet blue. The day it opened, fares were $600 is RT. I told my DH we were going to do the dreaded drive until some wonderful Person on these boards said to check google flights. $234 RT into ft Myers...direct... in top of that, car rental for 10 days $240-a minivan..again thanks to these wonderful Boards!

Last July I book for April 2017...our vacation ended on Easter but we come home on a Monday.....$550 RT...ugh....I paid it. At rental $650 ish...added another $100 when we got there for a bigger van again for 10 days.

I book the minute jet blue opens. I am dreading it but at least next year Easter is early.

I have heard Hartford is much cheaper than flying out of Boston - sounds like that is generally been true for you. I'd be shocked to see anything in the 200s for April vaca out of Boston- I've never seen that and I'm an airline stalker.

I feel like I have checked- Hartford, Boston, providence, NYC and white plains. Hartford wasn't always the cheapest but it's the closest so that made up for it.

Good Luck! July can't come soon enough for me to book for April and then I think September for the summer?

Thank you all so
Much! This helps as I was in dream land hoping to get direct for around $500rt. I'm going to book with layover as soon as they come out. The thursday before break came out today and direct is ugly. Not looking forward to seeing what Saturday looks like. Oh well- good thing is I know what to grab when I see it!!

Thank you all so
Much! This helps as I was in dream land hoping to get direct for around $500rt. I'm going to book with layover as soon as they come out. The thursday before break came out today and direct is ugly. Not looking forward to seeing what Saturday looks like. Oh well- good thing is I know what to grab when I see it!!

We did a layover in 2015 when I booked delta. I won't do it again! Well I would if I had to but not to FL! The flight left between 6-7am so we stayed at the airport. Layover in Atlanta and then the short fight to FL. But I won't do it again because we bring just carry ons since we rent a car and my sister has everything we need anyways. But it was DH, myself, our 3 kids and my mother. 3 kids and mother couldn't lift suitcases and bringing all 6 suitcases plus 6 carry ons was a nightmare to do twice. We still do carry ons but the past 2 years JB has asked people to gate check for free and we are the first up with out bags.

I hate the airline game!

we always do well out of bdl nonstop with jb or sw. never saw 500.00 flights. will be ready for jb in july for april

We did a layover in 2015 when I booked delta. I won't do it again! Well I would if I had to but not to FL! The flight left between 6-7am so we stayed at the airport. Layover in Atlanta and then the short fight to FL. But I won't do it again because we bring just carry ons since we rent a car and my sister has everything we need anyways. But it was DH, myself, our 3 kids and my mother. 3 kids and mother couldn't lift suitcases and bringing all 6 suitcases plus 6 carry ons was a nightmare to do twice. We still do carry ons but the past 2 years JB has asked people to gate check for free and we are the first up with out bags.

I hate the airline game!
So the fact that you had suitcases you couldn't handle is somehow the airline's fault? A simple layover shouldn't have you touching your checked luggage, so I don't understand the issue.

So the fact that you had suitcases you couldn't handle is somehow the airline's fault? A simple layover shouldn't have you touching your checked luggage, so I don't understand the issue.

I am not sure where I said it was the airlines fault that we had 12 carryons (small suitcase and under the seat bag)?????? You must of read into my above message?? Not sure so I have no desire to put words in your mouth that you did not say...maybe you were thinking that??

We were all able to take our own suitcases and carry on onto the plane, my kids drag their bags/back pack and one will take my moms bag too without complaint.

The lifting my kids nor my then 75 year old mother can't do...to short/decreased strength and/or a danger to themselves or others around them. Would you really want a 10 year old lifting a bag in the overhead compartment if you were sitting I. The seat in front or behind? Even if that 10 year old was tall? Any gentleman would grab that bag and put it in. We don't get free checked bags on delta or jet blue-we don't fly enough and I don't pay for that service. Jet blue has asked at the gate if anyone wants to check bags and that's when we do. If they don't then we would take them on and I would hand them one by one to my DH as each of my kids and mother loads into their seat.

So at our layover yes we touched our bags, all 12 that we brought into the cabin and we're allowed for the 6 of us. Six going up and down twice and I am sure annoying some passengers behind us but hey, we paid for our seats and the ability to bring 2 bags into the cabin. My issue is a layover is tortourous with kids and an aging mother that can't walk and would of been mortified if I made her sit in a wheel chair.and adding to the torture is the bags we chose to bring which is why *I* will never do a layover if I don't have to and since Jet Blue flys direct from Hartford to Ft Myers and Orlando I don't need to worry about it because if I took delta then yes we'd have a layover in Atlanta. But that is a short flight ~3 hours so a layover isn't needed.

The airline game I refer to is for price Wars with seasonal travel, certain data, holidays, waiting for another airline to open so not sure if you should book with the one that is open or wait, paying for luggage.

I am not sure where I said it was the airlines fault that we had 12 carryons (small suitcase and under the seat bag)?????? You must of read into my above message?? Not sure so I have no desire to put words in your mouth that you did not say...maybe you were thinking that??
Here's how I read your post..

We did a layover in 2015 when I booked delta. I won't do it again!
Delta made us do a layover and they shouldn't do that.

3 kids and mother couldn't lift suitcases and bringing all 6 suitcases plus 6 carry ons was a nightmare
I did not get that the 6 suitcases were also carried on. I strongly believe people should be responsible for what they bring. Presumably you knew before you left the house the kids and mother couldn't lift the suitcases. I've traveled with 3 kids also and never expected them to put things in the overhead. They would be responsible for a backpack that goes under the seat in front of them. Your comment about "any gentleman would grab that bag and put it in" is putting down anyone on that flight that didn't help you (whether you meant it to or not). I get saving money and not wanting to pay for checked bags, but struggling with six suitcases four times (twice going down & twice going back) vs. $150 (checking three bags since the bags can be larger) seems an easy decision to me.

FWIW, you can get the Delta branded AmEx and get a free checked bag for every member of your party. It's free for the first year and then $99/year after. Might be worth it for some to look into.

The fent
Here's how I read your post..

Delta made us do a layover and they shouldn't do that.

I did not get that the 6 suitcases were also carried on. I strongly believe people should be responsible for what they bring. Presumably you knew before you left the house the kids and mother couldn't lift the suitcases. I've traveled with 3 kids also and never expected them to put things in the overhead. They would be responsible for a backpack that goes under the seat in front of them. Your comment about "any gentleman would grab that bag and put it in" is putting down anyone on that flight that didn't help you (whether you meant it to or not). I get saving money and not wanting to pay for checked bags, but struggling with six suitcases four times (twice going down & twice going back) vs. $150 (checking three bags since the bags can be larger) seems an easy decision to me.

FWIW, you can get the Delta branded AmEx and get a free checked bag for every member of your party. It's free for the first year and then $99/year after. Might be worth it for some to look into.

The gentlemen In question would be my husband. And every time I fly I see Not all flyers putting their luggage up in the overhead but one person in the group putting the luggage up. Maybe your issue is that you don't like people bringing bags on because it delays you getting off the plane? I don't know if that is the case I can only speculate! Me I could care less, people are quick, if the bag isn't over your head, I always see someone helping to bring it forward (this last trip we took in April it was my DH as he was on an aisle).

At home while my youngest can pour her own milk when the gallon is less then half, I do t expect her to pour it when it's full=a mess. My kids can take their suitcases on/off the plane just not lift them.

If airlines have an issue with that then they should go back to one fre bag.

Don't fly delta enough, nor do I have the desire to as they don't fly direct out of my airport to spend $99, I assume per person?? To take a checked bag! I don't think my 11 year old needs a credit card! Oh and it would not of been $150/$50 per bag but $600 total as there are 6 of us...12 bags each we carried on!

You don't know me, please don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say.

And FTR, we don't use DMEs Baggage service. We have had checked bags for Disney (when they were free) and have always gone down to get them and bring them on DME with us.

No further comments from me.

OP I hope you can find cheap flights from Boston!

Last edited:
OK, I'm sorry, I can't let this go...
Maybe your issue is that you don't like people bringing bags on because it delays you getting off the plane? I don't know if that is the case I can only speculate!
You don't know me, please don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say.
But it's ok for you do to so? I don't have a problem with people bringing on bags provided A) they meet the size requirements and B) THEY are responsible for them. They don't expect the FAs or other passengers to help them (yes, it's nice when they do, but it shouldn't be expected).

If airlines have an issue with that then they should go back to one fre bag.
Where did I suggest or hint the airlines have issue? Oh yea, I shouldn't put words in your mouth.

Don't fly delta enough, nor do I have the desire to as they don't fly direct out of my airport to spend $99, I assume per person?? To take a checked bag! I don't think my 11 year old needs a credit card! Oh and it would not of been $150/$50 per bag but $600 total as there are 6 of us...12 bags each we carried on!
When you assume, you get in trouble... one person holding the Delta AmEx entitles everyone in the party (up to 9 people I believe) a free checked bag. As I mentioned, the first year is free. So you can get the card, have six people use a checked bag each, get back and then cancel the card. Boom, you just saved $300. If you travel yearly (or more) as a family, you pay $99 once and get free checked bags for the year. I also posted so other readers would know that's an option.

OP if you can fly from BDL I think you will find better rates and more direct flights than Logan. This is particularly true on Southwest. It is such an easy airport...parking is cheap and the airport is small, clean and efficient. Highly recommend! Good luck!

BDL flies nonstop and decent prices! last year we did 1,300ish for 3 ppl roundtrip, easter mon to following mon. years before we have done 4 ppl for between 1,000.80- 1,330ish.

we always do well out of bdl nonstop with jb or sw. never saw 500.00 flights. will be ready for jb in july for april

We always fly out of BOS, but right now BDL has much cheaper flights for April Vacation to CA. BOS nonstop flights are 600/700+. BDL nonstop are 380. I'm considering BDL, but we'd likely have to stay over down there at the beginning and end of the trip due to flight times and it's a 2 hour drive from our house. Any suggestions on hotels in the area close to the airport? The 380 flights are American. I would consider waiting for Jet Blue if I thought they would be close in price down at Bradley. Thx

there are a couple of hotels close that have parking and a shuttle, but we never stayed at any because we live 30 min from BDL. Its a good deal though to book and have the car parked there too if you are coming from farther! the airport is small and easy to get in and out. GOOD LUCK! I can't wait till Jetblue or SW release for April, hoping JB is July 9th....

We just booked on American out of BDL; 3 of us for $1,104; $368 each. Last year we flew out of Portland, Me on JB for $258 each. We were going to wait for JB in July to book, but decided to ease the pain and book with AA out of BDL. thanks for all the positive notes about BDL.

we need direct out of BDL so we wait for JB or SW... got everything else all booked and set, just need air!

Does anyone know the date that Southwest will be releasing flights for April 2018? TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter