sporadic autism

sammyteach

Mum to Alice & Patrick
Hi there looking for some advice and I know you clever folks will be able to help. I teach and though I say it myself Im a really good teacher! Im fun lively but I like to be in control clear boundaries discipline etc as I think that is how children feel safe and flourish.

A couple of years ago I had a lovely boy in my class (age 7). He was very bright, a real unusual and lovely personality, occasionally chatty but generally well behaved well motivated and did everything that was required without any special help etc. He loved school. The previous year he had job share teachers one found him similar to me the other teacher struggled with him on her days and wanted him "diagnosed".

Two years later the child has been tested and he has a really high IQ and autism his current teacher is really struggling he is rude badly behaved and not producing the work I know he could do.

I suppose my question is can autism be sporadic ie not for a whole year or is this a case of poor teaching style and engaging with him or a bit of both.

Has anyone any light to shed or similar experiences. It makes me so sad to see him allowed to misbehave as now people think he cant help it . Educate me folks and I hope Ive not offended anyone:goodvibes

In no way do I have any medical training, or for that matter, a degree in Education, so take my .02 for what it's worth. I know several kids with varying diagnoses on the Autism spectrum. For them, it's not sporadic, it would be like saying their eye color was sporadic.

I do think the teacher and aide can make a huge difference. The kids I know really thrive in a structured routine, with adults who understand them. I can see how a lack of any of that could make them regress, and have bad behavior.

I only have a moment but here are my thoughts...

He could be reacting to any number of things in his environment. Nearly every child with autism has sensory issues and they vary from child to child. Maybe there is too much noise - even noises that wouldn't bother other children. Maybe the lights bother him. Maybe there are too many children in the room. Maybe the teacher isn't sensitive to his needs. Maybe he doesn't understand what he is hearing so he is frustrated and acting out. Kids with autism also sometimes do best with a predictable routine and most like to know what to expect. Visual schedules may help - first we do math, then we have a snack, then we go to gym, etc. Good luck.

For my son, it all depends on the teacher and surroundings. First grade was a nightmare. He didn't like the classroom and the teacher was a bit harsh. Second grade was a little better until he got a 1:1 aide (yeah, you would have thought that would have helped). He didn't get along with the aide at ALL and had a rough time the rest of the year. This year, he had an unbelievable teacher and a new aide. He had an amazing year and is doing so much better. He will have the same aide for 4th grade, and I am excited to see what happens!

I agree with the posters that said it could be teaching styles in the classroom.
Sam did not have a good year this year, and I totally blame it on him not connecting with his teacher. I never connected with her either and can totally see why he didnt do too well.
He totally thrived under teachers that are tough and very structured. His second grade teacher was perfect. She expected them to do their absolute best and would express her disappointment when they did less than she knew they were capable of. Sam did everything he could to make her 'happy' and she in turn praised him for the good work. When he didnt do as good, she let him know she expected him to do it ovew and he would.
This year the teacher claimed to expect them to do their best, but if they didnt she never really let him know. So he just didnt bother. She showed me a spelling test where he only got 7 of 37 correct....same words he was reading and spelling in previous years. I showed this test to the 2nd grade teacher and she said 'it's obvious he doesnt give a **** this year'
I think this year's teacher either didnt like having the Aspie kids in her room, didnt like them, or was just simply too easy on them. She also moved their seats on a pretty regular basis. :scared1: not good for a structured Aspie. Especially because she would move the desks around when the kids werent there and then spring it on them the next time they were in school. He would freak out when he walked to 'his' desk and someone else name and stuff were on it. As soon as he would adjust to that spot she would mix it up again and he would have to start over.
only 2 more days of school and then we can start looking forward to 4th grade. The teacher he is getting is best buds with the teacher he had in 2nd and they have a similar teaching style. I know he will do a lot better than he did this year.

My ds would mimic other kids, including bad behavior. He didn't realize when they were being bad, and he would do the same thing. He thought if someone else was doing it, it was appropriate behavior. So this possibly could be going on, too, along with the other things already suggested.

I have a degree in the field of Behavior Disorders, and a spade is a spade. If a kid is diagnosed with Autism, they have to meet certain criteria to have that diagnosis.

If a kid, any kid is given the opportunity to act differently, Autistic or not, they will get away with what they can. Absolutely it is the teacher, not the kid.

My Ds who is stubborn, but not Autistic in any way, would throw fits when he was three to get out of things, because he could, his teachers would just allow it. Then he got to Pre K and the teacher was strict (as I am at home) and he gave us much more guff and would dig in his heels even more than probably those other teachers. He is just finally coming around to the fact that I am in charge, and I believe his Pre K teacher disliked him because of how he was trained in threes.

I will be interested to see if I am right, as I have talked to the kindergarten teachers about his unwillingness to participate, and I think the summer off and a new school might do the trick for him. They are both good Kindy teachers too!

The kid you speak of really needs the "right" teacher next year, and if they exist, you know who they are, and see if you can't talk to the proper people to help him get that teacher. So nice you care!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter