Splash mountain - WET?

I've had rides where we got hit with just a few water droplets (think standing outside right as it starts to slowly rain) and I've had rides where our shirts were were pretty much soaked through to the skin. I think it all depends on how the weight is distributed in the boat.

My legs are normally pretty dry and I've found that you generally get less wet if you are towards the back of the boat, but again - I think there are a ton of uncontrollable variables.

It varies...I've been soaked through a time or two, I've gotten away with just a small splash, and I've also made it through dry.
Luck of the draw! I feel like I get wetter when I'm sitting near the front, though.

**editing to add, my oldest wears a poncho just in case. He hates getting wet and walking around.

Agree with PPs. It's luck of the draw. I've gotten away with nothing and sometimes gotten absolutely soaked. Reminder to self to not wear cotton on a day with water rides!

The last drop is like going through a very heavy mist (particularly if you're in the front row). It's been very rare when I've gotten any sort of real "splash" over the side of the boat and in those cases it seemed usually a fluke of how the water was flowing. But I've never gotten "soaked". Usually a couple of random wet patches on various places depending on where I was sitting. (Worst I ever got was not noticing a big puddle on my seat when I got into the boat . . .)

The only time I got wet on that ride was when it started to rain while on it.. maybe a few drops and everything but never anything that would make me protect my camera for a future ride.

pirate on the other hand, I woudl not have my camera out.

Yes, typically similar to getting caught in a shower for a few seconds. Though we have noticed that the first two rows seem to get more wet. Plus, after the last drop, if you're on the right side in the first two rows, the boat will stop right next to a waterfall (waiting for boats ahead to clear I believe). There is splash coming off that waterfall as it hits the rocks next to you. It'll be drizzling on the right side of your face. It's fun, especially on a hot day.

The only time I got wet on that ride was when it started to rain while on it.. maybe a few drops and everything but never anything that would make me protect my camera for a future ride.

pirate on the other hand, I woudl not have my camera out.

Wow, that suprises me. I have never gotten wet at all on Pirates. But I have on Splash. I guess every ride is different and you just never know.

Stood and watched this ride at the bridge one evening while waiting for some of my family members to ride a second time, the thing I noticed that there is a very random water jet that goes off as the boat goes by, it seems to happen around the time another boat goes down the drop, but not every time. Some of the boats received direct hits from this and the people aboard were soaked. If you don't wish to get wet and just want to enjoy the ride, I highly recommend a cheap poncho.:umbrella:

Wow, that suprises me. I have never gotten wet at all on Pirates. But I have on Splash. I guess every ride is different and you just never know.

Disney%20MK%20April%202016%20084.jpg

My rides Splash have ranged from totally dry to totally soaked. If you don't want to get wet, wear a poncho. We did that one December on a not that warm evening. We heard a boy in line near us making fun of us. His family got off soaking wet and we were outside the ride and we heard him say something like "Mom, I'm freezing- why weren't we wearing ponchos like those smart people".

My rides on POTC have all been dry or a couple of drops until last fall when I got off looking like I had just taken a shower. Haven't they fixed that problem since last fall though?

Ask for the back and you should be okay, unless you get stuck near the falls area where the splash from other logs going down the big drop get you, or there's a back-up near the falls before you get to the riverboat. Those two spots are total luck.

Never ever agree to the front row if you're going to have a lot of weight up there. Then you WILL get soaked at the big drop.

These threads about "how wet" on various rides do crack me up. It's all in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I don't know how many times I've been on SM, I'd guess it to be around 100. Never once have I gotten wet to where I'd say I was "soaked". To me, being soaked means I look like I jumped in a pool with all my clothes on. Nor have I ever once seen anyone getting off SM that wet. To my knowledge, SM doesn't "splash" water like that at any point. Only time I've ever been that wet on any WDW ride was on Kali, back in the "good ol' days" of the ride. Even that seems to be more tame now, which stinks. I'm not implying that nobody gets wet, because you certainly do. I think it's just perspective and tolerance/desire for same. I love it, it's part of the fun of the ride. Even in winter, I refuse to wear a poncho, it's a water ride.

Last edited:
The closer to the front, the wetter you tend to get. Much of my discomfort comes from sitting down in water already on the seat so I take a hand towel from the resort and wipe down before we sit.

Bill From PA

Note that there are cannons that augment the splash. Sometimes they turn them off, usually when the temperature is on the lower side. You can see from the bridge if the cannons are on. You can still get out with very little soakage with them on, depending your luck. The thing to really watch out for is if they have a backup on the last corner before the final indoor portion. If you get stopped by that waterfall and are on the right side of the boat, you will be drenched.

These threads about "how wet" on various rides do crack me up. It's all in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I don't know how many times I've been on SM, I'd guess it to be around 100. Never once have I gotten wet to where I'd say I was "soaked". To me, being soaked means I look like I jumped in a pool with all my clothes on. Nor have I ever once seen anyone getting off SM that wet. To my knowledge, SM doesn't "splash" water like that at any point. Only time I've ever been that wet on any WDW ride was on Kali, back in the "good ol' days" of the ride. Even that seems to be more tame now, which stinks. I'm not implying that nobody gets wet, because you certainly do. I think it's just perspective and tolerance/desire for same. I love it, it's part of the fun of the ride. Even in winter, I refuse to wear a poncho, it's a water ride.

You must be lucky. I have absolutely gotten off Splash looking like I just jumped in a swimming pool. One time, it was particularly bad. You should have seen the look of horror on the late teen/early 20's girl who was stepping into my seat. On the other hand, I've also gotten off that ride completely dry. It's a different ride each time, but be prepared to get soaked because it can (and does) happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter