(spin off) What is the WORST Christmas gift you've ever received?

My uncle got a sack of onions as a gag gift (the real gift was hidden inside). He was actually thrilled to get the onions LOL

My mom LOVED one of the traditional gifts we always gave her at Christmas. We called it her care package. It was a box with things like a can of soup in it, a can of fruit, dental floss, almonds, a small package of candy, tooth paste a box of raisins, a package of AA batteries. She didn't NEED anything, and could afford anything she wanted. But she savored those goodies and rationed them out over the year.

Wow. I have to believe you are just trolling or something. Nobody is this ungrateful

I guess I am not allowed an opinion on MY worst Christmas gift. People
I think were not nice in their responses to em my choice in MY worst gift. My choice to do what I want with the gifts I thought were horrible to me. Everyone can have an opinion on what they think is their worst gift but I guess not me.

So, I have to love my crappy horrible scented candles, dust collectors and a necklace that I would never wear because it is not my style/gem of choice. Those were my worst gift, my worst gifts.

I am ungreatful because I think those were the worst gifts I ever got? Because I threw something that was considered junk away to me? Really? That is crazy! Would it of been better if I said my worst gift was new baking pans from my husband? Um, I *loved* those. Those were useful to me. Would it of been better if I said underwear was my worst gift? I mean everyone needs new undies So that was not my worst gift. Should it of been the new pillows I got? Um..let’s see I love new pillows and they were needed and since I am not a needy person and would rather receive things that are useful or not receive at all vs something that is just going to sit and collect dust or be thrown in a container in the attic or in the drawer, etc...

I am not trolling, again I will say the question was asked what is the worst gift you received. I was attacked by various people because they didn’t think my gifts were the worst. Well they were to me. End of subject. I can’t not believe how many people don’t respect others opinions...

At work a coworker brought me in 5 bagels in a basket for Christmas & asked me to give her the basket back.
My coworker got a garden ornament with a hand written note from the original giver of the gift still attached to it.

I think were not nice in their responses to em my choice in MY worst gift. My choice to do what I want with the gifts I thought were horrible to me. Everyone can have an opinion on what they think is their worst gift but I guess not me.

So, I have to love my crappy horrible scented candles, dust collectors and a necklace that I would never wear because it is not my style/gem of choice. Those were my worst gift, my worst gifts.

I am ungreatful because I think those were the worst gifts I ever got? Because I threw something that was considered junk away to me? Really? That is crazy! Would it of been better if I said my worst gift was new baking pans from my husband? Um, I *loved* those. Those were useful to me. Would it of been better if I said underwear was my worst gift? I mean everyone needs new undies So that was not my worst gift. Should it of been the new pillows I got? Um..let’s see I love new pillows and they were needed and since I am not a needy person and would rather receive things that are useful or not receive at all vs something that is just going to sit and collect dust or be thrown in a container in the attic or in the drawer, etc...

I am not trolling, again I will say the question was asked what is the worst gift you received. I was attacked by various people because they didn’t think my gifts were the worst. Well they were to me. End of subject. I can’t not believe how many people don’t respect others opinions...

Well I think it was more your attitude about the gifts.

The necklace could have been given to someone that would enjoy it and the crack about not caring if it was worth something was just a bit much.

They pick out candles that smell like Christmas trees which you admit you like the scent of. How are they to know you don't like it in candle form. So you "pay them back" by buying scents you like? Maybe they like those scents too? And pay back is again just a bit much.

The snow globes- you are a Disney fan! Sounds like a most thoughtful gift and those thighs aren't cheap!

<edited>

Last edited by a moderator:
This was many years ago.

A guy at my work gave me a dead duckling in a glass globe - something like the pic below, but skinnier duckling and bigger globe. :scared: Needless to say, when I moved to a different location I left that behind for the next occupant.

This is the stuff nightmares are made of! I hope you filed a restraining order, lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
A person can donate items that they don't like. That would be thoughtful. The exception i see here is the duck under glass. Weird!

As for my worst gift... I once received a wooden growth chart thing after DS was born. It was a very dark wood and really quite ugly. However I pretended to like it. I think that the person meant well.

I've also had my share of candles and lotions with scents i don't like. I give them away.

I think you might be missing the point of what people are saying here (I'm not trying to have that come off snarky at all).

Obviously, these people did not purchase things that you would purchase for yourself. But that's the beauty of a gift, someone purchases you something that they think you'd like to receive. They give you their time and effort along with the physical item. Some of the gifts mentioned upthread are inappropriate to give. A dead duckling? Inappropriate. A 4XL pajama set when you're a Medium? Inappropriate. A tin of assorted nuts to someone with allergies? Inappropriate. But the items that you were given, not inappropriate or outside of the realm of normality (to most people). It seems like they gave you something that corresponds to something in your life. Disney globes are because you like Disney. A gemstone necklace, it seems like you wear jewelry. And on and on. All of your gifts seem to be given with some thought, which is why most here had the reaction that they did. Most of the time, people consider gifts as the thought that counts, not getting the exact thing they would have purchased themselves.

If you do want exactly what you would purchase yourself and get offended by the presents you listed in your original post, you may have to ask people to give you money or just nothing at all to save the hassle on both ends. This would be a win/win because then they wouldn't be practically throwing money away.

Nevertheless, next time you get a gift like the ones above, consider donating it instead of chucking it into the garbage. Chances are probable that your "garbage" is another person's treasure.

When I was still in college, I was dating a guy and his parents gave me a box that contained a diaper, diaper pins and a pacifier, talking about “we’re ready!” WTH? I was twenty years old, single and still in college.

We aren’t together anymore.

Last edited:
I think you might be missing the point of what people are saying here (I'm not trying to have that come off snarky at all).

Obviously, these people did not purchase things that you would purchase for yourself. But that's the beauty of a gift, someone purchases you something that they think you'd like to receive. They give you their time and effort along with the physical item. Some of the gifts mentioned upthread are inappropriate to give. A dead duckling? Inappropriate. A 4XL pajama set when you're a Medium? Inappropriate. A tin of assorted nuts to someone with allergies? Inappropriate. But the items that you were given, not inappropriate or outside of the realm of normality (to most people). It seems like they gave you something that corresponds to something in your life. Disney globes are because you like Disney. A gemstone necklace, it seems like you wear jewelry. And on and on. All of your gifts seem to be given with some thought, which is why most here had the reaction that they did. Most of the time, people consider gifts as the thought that counts, not getting the exact thing they would have purchased themselves.

If you do want exactly what you would purchase yourself and get offended by the presents you listed in your original post, you may have to ask people to give you money or just nothing at all to save the hassle on both ends. This would be a win/win because then they wouldn't be practically throwing money away.

Nevertheless, next time you get a gift like the ones above, consider donating it instead of chucking it into the garbage. Chances are probable that your "garbage" is another person's treasure.

I guess I missed the point. I did not read innaporopriate, I read *worst* gift. Did it say in appropriate in the title? Please point out that word to me, my vision is getting worse as I age.

So I guess innapropriate for me would be a piece of jelwery from a creepy BIL that I have no relationship with...creepy and inappropriate, IMO. You do not buy jewelry for others unless you know them!!! I don’t Wear jewelry other then my wedding band/engagement ring. If they were smart, which they are not (and I get those words from my DH about his brother and others) they would of asked. Not sure how much it cost but before you buy someone you do not know a possibly over $100 gift, wouldn’t you make sure that person wants it? Would use/wear it?

And as for snow globes I guess a Disney one with pumpkins at Christmas time was not marked off/on sale? I may like Disney but that does not mean I have to like everything Disney, I don’t like dust collectors and that is what they are! I have a Disney blanket and maybe a picture frame or two out in the open. Maybe a kitchen utensil or two but that’s it. I do not like to display a bunch of Disney stuff. Never have, never will!

I guess I should stop asking my DH to ask his BIL what their significant others would want vs me guessing and giving something that I may like but they may think is the worst gift. I figured that was the appropriate thing to do.

And since my DH is fine with throwing away stuff given by his family, who are you to judge what I do with my *worst* gifts. My DH grew up with a father who was pretty much a hoarder, he does not like things we don’t need/won’t use in our house. I tell him we can donate it and his response is if I can get it out of the house by the end of the day then fine, otherwise it’s going in the hopper st the dump. And shopping Christmas Eve (yes I know this for a fact that they do this every year which is why they are late for dinner) is not giving much thought, IMO! I start thinking in October/November, heck sometimes all year long. Then I ask.

And again, I tell my DH to tell them to give me nothing. I learned from the first few years what kind of *worst* gifts to me they give. So I always tell him to tell them to give me nothing. I would be much happier with that then someone wasting money on crap!

When I was still in college, I was dating a guy and his parents gave me a box that contained a diaper, diaper pins and a pacifier, talking about “we’re ready!” WTH? I as twenty years old, single and still in college.

Oh my!! I would be livid if dd's future mil gave her something like that! Who even does that?? Wow. Probably a good thing y'all didn't work out. Talk about controlling in laws!

When I was still in college, I was dating a guy and his parents gave me a box that contained a diaper, diaper pins and a pacifier, talking about “we’re ready!” WTH? I as twenty years old, single and still in college.

/thread

I guess I should stop asking my DH to ask his BIL what their significant others would want vs me guessing and giving something that I may like but they may think is the worst gift.
Just give them all candles in scents you like, every year.

I tell him we can donate it and his response is if I can get it out of the house by the end of the day then fine, otherwise it’s going in the hopper st the dump
It makes no sense to hold on to something one resents for several years, rather than donate it within a few days:
Needless to say it sat in a drawer for a few years then I threw it away~didn’t care if it had monetary value.

Other BIL gave us one of those coffee table/side couch table zen water gardens. This is gong back about 15-20 yrs ago. I never used to and threw it away.

OMG. My DH is asleep and I am reading this in bed, laughing. I hope I don't wake him! She has quite the MIL!!

She does, I wish I had one just like her! They're not even so much "bad" gifts as they are interesting. The more I read her posts, the more I realize that she wasn't just buying random junk, I think there really was a method to her madness,lol

One Christmas gift many years ago that I thought was my worst turned out to be my best.

I unwrap a gift from my husband on Christmas Eve and it's one of those "gothic romance" novels......y'know, handsome young squire is getting' jiggy with a beautiful young maiden, badly written and cheaply printed. Not my taste in literature, not at all. The title had something about a ring in it.

I thank him, lukewarmly, and set it aside. A little later, he asks me if I want to read my book. No, I don't. He insists that I should read it. I don't want to, but I pick it up and open it to humor him.

There is a hollowed-out area in the book and in that hollow is a beautiful emerald and diamond ring.

My least-favorite gift turns instantly into my most-favorite gift. Not only did the dear man save and scrimp to get me this beautiful ring, he also spent a long time in the bookstore digging around for a book that had "ring" in its title.

That was my last Christmas with him. I lost him three months later.

I wear the ring occasionally and when I do, it reminds me to treasure every present that is given generously and to the best ability of the giver, even if it doesn't look like something you'd pick for yourself. You "can't judge a book by its cover".

One Christmas gift many years ago that I thought was my worst turned out to be my best.

I unwrap a gift from my husband on Christmas Eve and it's one of those "gothic romance" novels......y'know, handsome young squire is getting' jiggy with a beautiful young maiden, badly written and cheaply printed. Not my taste in literature, not at all. The title had something about a ring in it.

I thank him, lukewarmly, and set it aside. A little later, he asks me if I want to read my book. No, I don't. He insists that I should read it. I don't want to, but I pick it up and open it to humor him.

There is a hollowed-out area in the book and in that hollow is a beautiful emerald and diamond ring.

My least-favorite gift turns instantly into my most-favorite gift. Not only did the dear man save and scrimp to get me this beautiful ring, he also spent a long time in the bookstore digging around for a book that had "ring" in its title.

That was my last Christmas with him. I lost him three months later.

I wear the ring occasionally and when I do, it reminds me to treasure every present that is given generously and to the best ability of the giver, even if it doesn't look like something you'd pick for yourself. You "can't judge a book by its cover".

Just Beautiful !!!!!!!!:sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter